Important Changes to Sport Mode

Longer races PD, less slots and not more races per day, don't want to grind this now. :boggled:

On the other hand, thanks for letting Croatia participate finally, so happy because of that. I will spread the word among my friends living there, maybe they come back to the game now.:cheers:

I want to know what the hell was going through the mind of whoever proposed these changes because they clearly forgot about the negative consequences of them.

But whatever, they will see soon enough how these changes aren't well thought out

But what really amazes me is how this kind of thing has a higher priority than a much needed N-Class overhaul or wet weather..

Japan are cutting us off? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! 🤬

Not sure what lobbies will look like after this happens. I may have to start playing sport mode on my US account.
Hey, at least if everyone in our region choose a Ford, Chevy or Nissan, it'll feel like a real Championship each race. ;)

Horrible news. I understand they are experimenting, but some ideas are so bad they shouldn't even try them.

Racing multiple times is ridiculous. I already struggle to find time to race in the FIA championships, having to focus on Manufacuter's and skipping Nations because of time (and also can't train much), and now they will make competition pointless because some people will be able to race five times every night and others only once. Besides, the tension will be gone. Even watching the top drivers racing will be less fun if they get to try again.

As for splitting regions, I don't see disconnection being a huge problem to justify dividing the community. We should be competing worldwide if possible and not locally, so it's a step backwards.

PS: Funny that I always found Canadians to be the dirtiest drivers. Maybe their prejudice against Brazilians make them more aggressive towards us?

Racing multiple times is ridiculous. I already struggle to find time to race in the FIA championships, having to focus on Manufacuter's and skipping Nations because of time (and also can't train much), and now they will make competition pointless because some people will be able to race five times every night and others only once. Besides, the tension will be gone. Even watching the top drivers racing will be less fun if they get to try again.

Can't agree with you more. Very well put.

I would maybe be okay with allowing ONE other chance at the FIA races in case of disconnect or someone punts you. Then again we already have enough mulligans since only our best half of the races end up counting for points anyways.

PS: Funny that I always found Canadians to be the dirtiest drivers. Maybe their prejudice against Brazilians make them more aggressive towards us?

I just thought this maybe has to do with our connections. Since we are the two farthest apart countries maybe that little bit of lag makes it seem we are out to get each other. I always though all South Americans were particularly dirty but there is just a lot more Brazilians so they get all the blame :D

Hi. I am totally guilty of this.

I have had great fun with the majority of drivers from Brazil in Sport Mode. But on the other hand almost all the crazy incidents I have personally been involved in, has been an overly aggressive driver from Brazil.

So by default I assume the worst at the start when I see a Brazilian driver on the grid. It ain't right. I've been trying to not to do it. And not think that way.

Canadians calling Brazilians dirty. Brazilians calling Canadians dirty. No mention of Americans who have the most # of players. WTH is going on here? :lol:

This is awful, may the player with the most time on his hands win!

I might be done with GT Sport then to be honest.

+1, worst reform idea by far. Gonna stick to only ticking off new single player content with the patches till they change this back. The fixed times and especially the one try only are among the greatest qualities of the FIA races to me. Without that you could just do Lobbies and weekly races (which are losing appeal to me as well). :(

First they changed daily to weekly races and now this? What a joke. The only positive is improved connections and latency, but with the already small userbase we have here in AUS/NZ you might as well remove the DR/SR system altogether since matchmaking will NEVER be able to find enough people in each class. Even now with Asia included we already have some races with a huge spread of drivers from DR A all the way to D.

Also multiple FIA race entries? Haha. Here in AUS the first race starts at 2200 PM. Does PD think we're all night owls who don't have work and other responsibilities the next day?

It boggles my mind how a brilliant mind like Kaz can make some absolutely boneheaded decisions sometimes.

Someone needs to remind PD of their own drop score system. The structure of Season 2 & 3 last Summer also suggested they completely forgot about it :lol:

Maybe what needs to happen is for GTS to just fail from here on in and force some changes in how the game is developed.

These experiments make me never want to play what should be a top tier game . It is almost like PD would rather have a game like wreckfest,which i love , instead of a serious online racing game .

On the other hand, thanks for letting Croatia participate finally, so happy because of that. I will spread the word among my friends living there, maybe they come back to the game now.:cheers:

Where do people keep getting this idea that PD just "Disallow" certain countries from competing? Pretty sure its not up to a Game developer which country can or cannot compete so much as it is up to the country itself.

Tell me more why people get disconnected please? I’m dependent upon climate signal conditions which vary from yellow to full green. I’m on a mobile broadband connection and have never exp. this?

I don't get disconnected but I do get stupid glitches where I get booted to the main menu before the track finally loads. I'll be matched up with a lobby and players, and when the track is finally about to load, it kicks me to the main menu

Happened wednesday and it was infuriating because it was the last race of the night and I really needed to do it. Practiced for no reason basically.

Being able to enter more than one race per night wouldn't have saved me there, but it will in other situations. That's the only good thing about this update because the region changes I think are awful. Especially for south american players. It's really unfair and it's going to make the matchmaking worse for everyone

This change should be only done for matchmaking priority instead of splitting up the stray continents from the already agreeable 2018 regional groups. I had no issues with latency of the affected regions as Sport Mode runs on dedicated servers. Those servers were the main purpose they even ran the GT Sport Beta in Asia-Oceania. The competition pool will be too small for Oceania! Surely there won't be too much latency for NA to connect with players from Mexico or Central America, and AusNZ to Southeast Asia to have diverse and variable competitive scenes. The game announces plans to do this but has the audacity to keep South Africa in EMEA when it's a polar-opposite distance away from the main continent it covers. I reckon if Sony expands the PlayStation Network to a second African country, South Africa would then be split off in a similar move.

Where do people keep getting this idea that PD just "Disallow" certain countries from competing? Pretty sure its not up to a Game developer which country can or cannot compete so much as it is up to the country itself.

Both Sony and the country involved is responsible for the most part. The country needs to be ideal and viable first to be a target market for PlayStation to launch foreign operations. It's not about getting your flag on the Nations Cup racing number, Sony has to provide PlayStation services to the customers with a local law-complying version of Sport Mode's ToC etc. If the country cannot support Sport Mode over excessive red tape, Sony can not let the country compete.

Hmm, this is from a while ago, yet I doubt much has changed
raWc.jpg

vaWc.jpg

USA + Canada = 16.8%, leaves 4.1% for South America.
Australia + New Zealand 3.3%.

Matchmaking is really going to suffer now outside Europe. Is PD expecting a massive influx of players from BF?
On days with FIA races, sport mode is going to be barren in some regions.
I was expecting to learn more US players there. UK only has 200k less roughly and the States are just so much bigger and more populated.

Quite surprising.

This is actually the time to experiment with all these features.
We had GT Academy. GT Acadmey by region. Now, REAL FIA Championships.

Yes, in real life, many series only race one weekend. However, some Championships, have two and three races per day and/or weekend. When I've had a bad FIA race, I would have liked some redemption. No doubt there's a chance I could have multiple bad races. Still, there's a chance I could learn from mistakes and apply tact my next races. It works both ways.

At the end of the day, we're all part of this franchise's history. Helping PDI gather data and helping them make better GT's for the future.

Both Sony and the country involved is responsible for the most part. The country needs to be ideal and viable first to be a target market for PlayStation to launch foreign operations. It's not about getting your flag on the Nations Cup racing number, Sony has to provide PlayStation services to the customers with a local law-complying version of Sport Mode's ToC etc. If the country cannot support Sport Mode over excessive red tape, Sony can not let the country compete.

I knew it was something more but I couldn't recall exactly what it was. Either way, people seem to have some silly idea that its somehow as simple as PD just going "Nope, you're not allowed"

I'm 60/40 towards NO for the regional segregation, and 55/45 towards YES for the multiple chances in FIA races, as the former will massively cut down the playerbase in search of better connections for some regions, and for the latter it is useful for people who had a disconnect mid-race and, for the Nations Cup, to experiment with different cars, if time allows.

Honestly if they are going to split apart Australia and NZ from the rest of Asia, this better at least mean we get a consistent 5 green bars of ping.

Australians at best usually got three yellow bars of ping against the rest of the Asia region (which is probably worse seeing as the game's netcode might end up making collisions more exaggerated and worse).

Great. So when my kids are asleep and I've spent some time with my wife and then have time to do the last FIA race at 10pm, I will race people who are doing their second or third or even fourth try. Not only will they be more experienced at the given track/car/tyre wear combination, there will be those who know exactly that they can take more risks to get a result because they already have one.

The change to weekly races has pretty much driven me away from them as it has become harder to compete with people that have time to qualify for hours. Now let's see how much I'll be using sport mode altogether. This is sad as I'm one of the people who always said that sport mode is making this the best GT game ever (unpopular opinion for some, but I mean(t) it).

*Snip*

First I've heard of it, and apologies but it comes across as a bit of a "tin-foil hat" theory to me.

It's essentially down to what is deemed to be a "competition", the requirements to enter said competition, the prizes for said competition, and whether or not any of these things clash with any current laws of a particular country.

*Edit*
I should add that this situation isn't anything new.
It's been the case for many years, with many different PS games, for many PlayStation competitions.

Last edited:
Well I think we all know that the Australia/NZ region is going to be pretty much decided from the get go after this update... There are only a handful of fast drivers that can battle it out.

This is not a good idea, 3 regions were just fine.

Back