Important Changes to Sport Mode

2-You can’t change the region of an existing PSN account. But yeah, the game believes you are from the region of your PSN account, even if you are across the world.
I have been watching Tidgney's YT channel lately, and he mentioned after he got back from Monaco that PD said they know what region you are really in, and who have multiple accounts, and had actually stopped someone from entering one the their championships because they had multiple accounts. Take that how you want.

With regard to having the option to enter multiple times, and it may favour those who have the time to practise a lot, hasn't it always been like that! :confused: And if someone has practised a lot, and become better, shouldn't they be rewarded!

And btw, I am way past being a child :eek: :( and do not have PS+, and have no intention to. ;)

Great. So when my kids are asleep and I've spent some time with my wife and then have time to do the last FIA race at 10pm, I will race people who are doing their second or third or even fourth try. Not only will they be more experienced at the given track/car/tyre wear combination, there will be those who know exactly that they can take more risks to get a result because they already have one.

The change to weekly races has pretty much driven me away from them as it has become harder to compete with people that have time to qualify for hours. Now let's see how much I'll be using sport mode altogether. This is sad as I'm one of the people who always said that sport mode is making this the best GT game ever (unpopular opinion for some, but I mean(t) it).

100% agree on both subjects, FIA and weeklys, exactly my thoughts.

If you really want to compete, you'll have to start with the first slot and continue. If you'll wait for the last slots, you'll have less chance to finish in a position like you are used to.

I have been watching Tidgney's YT channel lately, and he mentioned after he got back from Monaco that PD said they know what region you are really in, and who have multiple accounts, and had actually stopped someone from entering one the their championships because they had multiple accounts. Take that how you want.

With regard to having the option to enter multiple times, and it may favour those who have the time to practise a lot, hasn't it always been like that! :confused: And if someone has practised a lot, and become better, shouldn't they be rewarded!

And btw, I am way past being a child :eek: :( and do not have PS+, and have no intention to. ;)

Two things there.

If PD didn't know or at least have a good idea where their users were connecting to their servers from they'd have to be thoroughly incompetent. I'd also be surprised if some of the data returned didn't include the PS4 id. I for one have multiple accounts that I use for different things though the times I can play pretty much stop me from entering more than one FIA race anyway even if I wanted to do more. I think Tidgney/PDs comment is probably around the Dayrone/LE Pen incidents as they vanished after a number of players kicked up a stink when it was noticed they were playing naughty.

If you could enter multiple times in the "real" FIA season in my mind it will take "skill when it matters" out of the equation and cheapen the competition. This is not about practise, this is about having multiple chances at a single race until you luck into your best result.

Those are player of the GAME stats, not Sport Mode stats. Barely 100,000 play Sport Mode weekly. https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=weekly_sport_activity
There is no stat on location of ongoing regular Sport Mode participation. I'd make an educated guess that the US, being pretty wealthy (and wasteful!) probably has a higher percentage of purchasers no longer playing...
On the "Daily" Races qualification that ends last Sunday (a week ago), so over a recent week period, which involves 9 leaderboards (3 per country), we got 92,549 players names. I mean DISTINCT ones, a name that appears in more than one leaderboard is only counted once.
Here's a breakdown by countries, limited to ones above 5,000 players:
country->players
us->10508
de->9264
es->9258
gb->9192
fr->7677
jp->7641
it->7183

Edit: Here's a full list by percentage (of world, not region)
United States->11.354%
Germany->10.010%
Spain->10.003%
United Kingdom->9.932%
France->8.295%
Japan->8.256%
Italy->7.761%
Brazil->3.610%
Netherlands->2.582%
Russia->2.371%
Australia->2.367%
Canada->1.995%
Poland->1.742%
Portugal->1.707%
Belgium->1.647%
Switzerland->1.123%
Hong Kong->1.105%
Austria->1.068%
Argentina->0.987%
Czech Republic->0.915%
Finland->0.883%
Hungary->0.860%
Denmark->0.752%
Greece->0.692%
South Africa->0.626%
Sweden->0.560%
Mexico->0.537%
Turkey->0.475%
Croatia->0.429%
Taiwan->0.421%
New Zealand->0.420%
Ireland->0.408%
Norway->0.395%
Malaysia->0.353%
Korea->0.341%
Ukraine->0.277%
Chile->0.257%
Slovakia->0.251%
Indonesia->0.231%
Colombia->0.217%
Thailand->0.198%
Romania->0.162%
Saudi Arabia->0.157%
Singapore->0.155%
Bulgaria->0.125%
Slovenia->0.108%
UAE->0.104%
Costa Rica->0.099%
India->0.086%
Luxembourg->0.081%
Uruguay->0.080%
Peru->0.067%
China->0.059%
Israel->0.048%
Cyprus->0.029%
Panama->0.028%
Ecuador->0.026%
Malta->0.026%
Lebanon->0.023%
Guatemala->0.021%
Qatar->0.021%
Iceland->0.019%
Oman->0.019%
Kuwait->0.012%
Bolivia->0.009%
El Salvador->0.009%
Bahrain->0.008%
Paraguay->0.004%
Honduras->0.002%

1-With this update, will the daily races still be weekly or are they changing again back to Daily?
This is indeed surprising since the weekly races is not supposed to change during the middle of the week. I checked for data used to generate the event page on Kudosprime and i still don't see differences for Brazil and USA forthcoming events. But i saw in the past a last minute change to the planned events.

Last edited:

I know of someone with multiple accounts who have been invited to the events. So they either don’t know about everyone or don’t care (unless they are causing grief or something).

Last edited:
So if there is only 92,549 players playing in a given week, that would mean there is only 185 DR-S/A+ drivers(0.2%) and only 1,018 DR-A Drivers(1.1%) in the entire world? I really thought there would be way more Drivers playing the game worldwide, that’s pretty surprising.

I know of someone with multiple accounts who have been invited to the events. So they either don’t know about everyone or don’t care (unless they are causing grief or something).
Having multiple accounts is fine. Using them to compete in the FIA events simultaneously is not fine.

Having multiple accounts is fine. Using them to compete in the FIA events simultaneously is not fine.

Still one of the Monaco finalists from my region qualified with two accounts and this will only get worse with the possibility to race in the 5 slots. Also, many ineligible players still participate. I don’t but many do it. They need to get serious about it in the future.

In my opinion, they should work on letting players choose their region because currently, I am a Jordanian racing with a Saudi Arabian flag which sucks for me. I feel no pride in racing for Saudi Arabia even though I used to be happy about when I was actually leave there.
Another problem is, there is no Jordan in the PSN region selector so I can't make a new account either.

I'd better make sure my sons do not start participating in the FIA races then, because they use sub accounts of my main PSN account, interpreted the wrong way they might suspect me of using multiple accounts to compete in the FIA events when one of my sons races in one using my playstation/wheel setup. :-\

I'd better make sure my sons do not start participating in the FIA races then, because they use sub accounts of my main PSN account, interpreted the wrong way they might suspect me of using multiple accounts to compete in the FIA events when one of my sons races in one using my playstation/wheel setup. :-\

Just make sure they use their own real Name when creating their accounts. no one can blame you for having kids you share a hobby with.

In my opinion, they should work on letting players choose their region because currently, I am a Jordanian racing with a Saudi Arabian flag which sucks for me. I feel no pride in racing for Saudi Arabia even though I used to be happy about when I was actually leave there.
Another problem is, there is no Jordan in the PSN region selector so I can't make a new account either.

When I played DiRT 4 it let me choose to represent any flag next my username. It’s a nice feature, but I don’t see it happening in GTS due to the FIA events.

I wouldn't be so bothered by the multiple FIA races debacle if instead of it using your Highest point total for the day it took your most recent points.

So you run a bad race or think you could do better and have time, give it another try. As soon as you race in the next event your previous result should be deleted. I think this would keep the guys who get a respectable finish from racing over and over hoping to get a top 5 finish. There should be some risk associated with re-trying the race, it should not be a freebie.

It's just such a bad idea for competition sake. In previous seasons I've finished last before in a race and got next 0 points, sure it would have been nice to have a restart but instead I prepared better for the next race, like it should be. As long as you compete over the minimum # of races then that last place should be replaced with a better finish anyway. This system rewards players with the most time on their hands(more than it already does) and not the better, cleaner racer and that's the bottom line. Not only that, it will make drivers more aggressive and take more dangerous chances because what the heck I can just try again if I collide with the guy ahead of me, who cares. I always preferred the FIA races because they were miles cleaner than the dailies because racers knew they only had the one chance, so they were extra careful.

Assuming PD is doing this in response to disconnects and racers getting punted, or just racers feeling bad because they suck, here's some other alternatives to multiple attempts at FIA races:

ONLY ONE extra chance per day, highest point finish counts

Longer season, fewer races count for points.

Somehow recognize when a player is disconnected and allow only them to enter a second race, or only finalize your entry when you finish a race. this would allow players to just up and quit if they aren't happy with their race but as far as I know that comes with a massive SR penalty(maybe DR as well) so there is incentive enough not to do that anyway.

Provide and alternate view of standings for drivers based on their DR rating (DR:A+ standings, DR:A Standings, DR:B standings etc.)
Last official season overall I was 31st(I think) in Canada, 130 something overall in the region. If I only counted drivers with a DR:B ahead of me I was 4th in Canada and 27th(I think) overall in the region. That's not so bad really. I think if alot players could see this they'd feel alot better about themselves being compared with racers at equal skill level and not have to see all the aliens ahead of them.

I'm sorry but this whole things has me so rattled, as much as I was looking forward to the next FIA season and I've been trying to raise my DR in preparation for it, I no longer see the point. And honestly I will not participate in FIA events under this new system. It's such a tremendous step backwards in sportsmanship and competition and seems to me it's part of this BS "Everbody gets a trophy!" attitude. You know what? If you finish last or race poorly that's too bad, get em next week or face the fact you just plain suck.

So you run a bad race or think you could do better and have time, give it another try. As soon as you race in the next event your previous result should be deleted. I think this would keep the guys who get a respectable finish from racing over and over hoping to get a top 5 finish. There should be some risk associated with re-trying the race, it should not be a freebie.

Like I said previously I'm completely against this getting multiple chances to compete in the same event over and over unless you were disconnected before the race started or the whole lobby suffered a disconnect. But since we have no say in the stupid decision PD seems to make for everyone and we know this update its coming no matter how we feel about it.. I like your idea.
Your idea would make this whole mess somewhat more tolerable but because it makes the most sense under the new changes you know it will never happen unfortunately.

This is great news. Always strange issues trying to play between north and South America. Lower latency benefits everyone involved.

Okay, so people were threatening to delete the game because they were getting disconnected randomly and were S.O.L. due to the one-chance system.

Now people are threatening to delete the game because you get too many chances to attempt the FIA race.

I know there’s always two sides to an argument but it’s especially true that you can never fully please the GT community.

No i do not think that is the argument . Is it not get another chance if disconnected vs enter more than once if not disconnected ?

The problem is that there is no way to distinguish between getting disconnected and someone not happy with how their race is going pulling the plug to try again.

To keep it 'pure' only allowing retries if you left the race before qualifying starts seems the most fair. I wonder why the game doesn't try to reconnect while in race. You can pause and the car keeps going. Why can't the game attempt to reconnect while in pause mode. (Can you hit pause in FIA events? I never tried)

Seems like GTS copy the iRacing point system

In iRacing there are 12 weeks but only count the best points for 8 weeks

If a player entered 4 races per week, system will take the highest point.

If a player entered 7 races per week, system will take the best 2 , sum iy and divide by 2

I'm pleased that people are voicing their objections to DP's policy that says 'Unless you are prepared to commit to five hours straight of staring at a screen you will be at a disadvantage in this championship'. It's the biggest backward step the game has taken this century.

Same problem with Philippines / Vietnam / Myanmar / Laos players in SEA region

The problem is that there is no way to distinguish between getting disconnected and someone not happy with how their race is going pulling the plug to try again.

To keep it 'pure' only allowing retries if you left the race before qualifying starts seems the most fair. I wonder why the game doesn't try to reconnect while in race. You can pause and the car keeps going. Why can't the game attempt to reconnect while in pause mode. (Can you hit pause in FIA events? I never tried)

The method that makes the most sense to me is only finalize your entry when you finish the race. Yes this would allow racers to quit if they are not happy with how things are going and try again, but a good SR and even DR penalty will prevent that for most. If they added a DR penalty it would be great because if someone quits and tries to come back they will likely end up in a worse lobby with fewer points available. Someone who makes a habit of quitting all the time will deservedly stay at a low DR level.

I have never been disconnected so I wonder if players get a SR penalty when they get disconnected? If there is no way for the game to distinguish a disconnect from someone just quitting it's tough to justify increasing the penalties though.

I sure hope PD is reading this thread, otherwise I'm just complaining for nothing!(which I realize I probably am anyways)

I wonder what will happen with the online FIA races when the Playstation name change option comes into play next year?

I will be changing my identity on the PS4 but it would be quite easy I suspect for someone to name change their profile and then technically enter the race again but hopefully there's a safeguard in place to recognise a change of name.

For anyone whose interested I will be going under the name of Knight Sabers 2040 instead of darth_tails if allowed, anyone who knows their old school anime should hopefully make the connection, I may give a hint with my avatar later!

That China is in the list is a bit beyond my expectation.

GTS's never officially published in Mainland China (where PS Store is separated from HK and TW for some reason), yet we can log in using PSN of this REGION and use Chinese flag in game (while HK use their regional flag and TW use their Olympiad flag (rather than a widely used ROC flag, maybe for the feeling of CHN gov, no more politics here)). The last GTC final had no "Chinese" if you don't count the two guys from HK and regional final only had ppl from HK and TW.

What does that mean?

For you, nothing, but for me (us), EVERYTHING!

FINALLY NOT THE ONE OUTSIDE THE GAME!

maybe overacted, sorry if annoyed

:tup:I've shown my age on a few topics. Here's another: Does anyone remember having to unplug a game cartridge and reinsert it in a console, with a slam, to get a game started? Over and over?

Seriously, these concerns are not that detrimental to this game. Get the red ring of death or the missing cars glitch. Those I can understand, but multiple tries kills a game for some? Aight...

@darth_tails those are my girls!!! Episodes 4,5 & 6 are what got me started in anime back in 1990. Watched without subtitles for 10 years until I bought the box set. Good stuff. 👍

On the "Daily" Races qualification that ends last Sunday (a week ago), so over a recent week period, which involves 9 leaderboards (3 per country), we got 92,549 players names. I mean DISTINCT ones, a name that appears in more than one leaderboard is only counted once. /snip

Does Kudos have any access to the numbers that are playing that DON'T play Sport Mode at all?

I mean, if you need a PS+ account and MUST do a game save to have your progress and garage stored (right?), shouldn't there be a stat that counts these? Then compare to the players playing Sport Mode to get an accurate comparison of the numbers actually playing still (not purchasers who have binned the game) but not involved in Sport Mode.

It might be nice to see a metric that showed Sport Mode numbers vs. lobby numbers vs. Arcade to better get an idea of the popularity of each mode...

Does Kudos have any access to the numbers that are playing that DON'T play Sport Mode at all?

I mean, if you need a PS+ account and MUST do a game save to have your progress and garage stored (right?), shouldn't there be a stat that counts these? Then compare to the players playing Sport Mode to get an accurate comparison of the numbers actually playing still (not purchasers who have binned the game) but not involved in Sport Mode.

It might be nice to see a metric that showed Sport Mode numbers vs. lobby numbers vs. Arcade to better get an idea of the popularity of each mode...

I can't see Lobby activity specifically, but Sport Mode and Overall activity can be detected:

Active Players in any mode
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=active_players_7_days

Weekly Active players in Sport Mode:
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=weekly_sport_activity
This count players having entered in a ranked race during that week.

Note that you need a PS+ Account only to enter Multiplayer races. You can even set weekly Race A-B-C Qualification times without a PS+ account (and then have a K' Speed score)

Back