• 31,160 comments
15603771363_5b6cae4cc2_b.jpg
8559976623_34202970ac_b.jpg
8541820108_b3d8bbd175_b.jpg
41323956384_8c2e8c9735_b.jpg
8591170887_7f04779b36_b.jpg
25070681378_72d5e8008a_b.jpg

40236491070_d59ea1aa5b_b.jpg

Literally over the last few days I've developed an appreciation for the second-gen Lexus IS. Always been a fan of the first-gen model but the second-gen was completely off my radar. Bit of searching suggests they're becoming quite affordable in the UK - IS250s are around the £3k mark, and I'm even starting to like the looks. Some YouTubing suggests they sound quite good with an aftermarket intake too.

5xo5tw.jpg

08IS2502012001.jpg

277631_2254007875398_1404345893_2732685_937220_o(1).jpg

Enkei_RPF1_pic3.JPG

is250.jpg

yingyang4.jpg

Wait...are those Rostyles? If they indeed are, I've never seen that model in anything but the 5x205mm PCD spec'd for South African VW Beetles in the '70s. The Rostyle wheels used on Rovers are similar, but the spokes don't stand as proud of the rest of the wheel face, and they're not concave.

VW:
PetrusWide5discconversion002.jpg

Rover P5:
5746674511_6af5d7452c.jpg

The wheels on that Rekord are a mishmash of the two, in that the spokes are concave like the VW, and they feature a smaller bolt circle and only five eyelets as on the P5.

1959 AC Ace-Bristol

65666.jpg
65617.jpg
65623.jpg
65634.jpg
65654.jpg
65648.jpg

That engine is a masterpiece.

Half-inched from a prewar BMW 328 (not to be confused with a late model 328i), the two-liter OHV inline 6 designated as the "100D" (or "100D2" in the case of later cars) handily snorted out 120bhp--20 over the previous AC-sourced engine.

Keen eyes may note the dual rocker covers with carburettors in the vee and wonder: "OHV inline 6?" Featuring hemispherical combustion chambers with valves opposed to each other at a rather wide angle, the German engineers devised an unusual method of actuation that directed vertical movement of the primary pushrods in the block by way of tertiary rocker arms in the intake half of the assembly acting on horizontal secondary pushrods crossing over to the exhaust half of the assembly through tubes in the vee. These tubes can be seen in front of and behind the carburettors in a 1-2-2-1 arrangement (best seen in the first of the two engine shots). It's probably one of the more unusual "conventional" engines.

Edit: Nagged by concerns that I wasn't sufficiently describing the uniqueness of this engine, I went on a hunt for images that might do a better job.

Here, a bare BMW 328 head adorned only with rocker shaft bearing caps (the black things). Note the three siamesed intake ports to feed the intake side of the head, as well as the six secondary pushrod tubes.

bmw328cleanheadnorockers.jpg

Here, an early 100D (springs on rocker shaft to maintain rockers' linear position, and captive brass threads for carburettor mounting instead of slots as on the BMW head) with complete upper assembly sans carbs and rocker covers. Note vertical primary pushrods on the right hand side and horizontal secondary pushrods within tubes and exposed on the left.

bristol100dnocarbs.jpg

Here, the exhaust rocker assembly of a 100D2 (nylon collars on rocker shaft for rocker arm locating) with secondary pushrods visible. This shot illustrates just how far wide the valves are positioned, with the valvesprings clearly visible. Carbs are in place and plumbed, featuring aftermarket velocity stacks.

100d2exhaustrockers.jpg

Here, a BMW 328 head as used by Frazer-Nash depicting the hemispherical combustion chambers.

bmwfrazer328chambers.jpg

I hope this clears up any confusion caused by my description.

;)

These engines display desmodromic levels of complexity. (Those familiar with Ducati motorcycles and/or mid-century Mercedes-Benz racing engines are the only ones likely to get that bad joke.)

:P

Another edit: Here's a better dipiction of how valve actuation is accomplished.

20190305_071216.png

Last edited:
This illustration cropped up on my Twitter feed today.

Dec9qkDW0AcJP5u.jpg

Needless to say, it's awesome, and there need to be more speedster and monoposto conversions. I reckon 1980s stuff like the CRX would work particularly well with nice sharp lines (and liberal use of 1980s and 1990s neon and stripes), but curvier shapes are also interesting.

mx5-speedster-8.jpg

mazda-mx5-speedster-spyder-bilsport-sema-2015-3.jpg

1998_Alfa_Romeo_Monospider_01.jpg

1959 AC Ace-Bristol

65666.jpg
65617.jpg
65623.jpg
65634.jpg
65654.jpg
65648.jpg

That engine is a masterpiece.

Half-inched from a prewar BMW 328 (not to be confused with a late model 328i), the two-liter OHV inline 6 designated as the "100D" (or "100D2" in the case of later cars) handily snorted out 120bhp--20 over the previous AC-sourced engine.

Keen eyes may note the dual rocker covers with carburettors in the vee and wonder: "OHV inline 6?" Featuring hemispherical combustion chambers with valves opposed to each other at a rather wide angle, the German engineers devised an unusual method of actuation that directed vertical movement of the primary pushrods in the block by way of tertiary rocker arms in the intake half of the assembly acting on horizontal secondary pushrods crossing over to the exhaust half of the assembly through tubes in the vee. These tubes can be seen in front of and behind the carburettors in a 1-2-2-1 arrangement (best seen in the first of the two engine shots). It's probably one of the more unusual "conventional" engines.

Edit: Nagged by concerns that I wasn't sufficiently describing the uniqueness of this engine, I went on a hunt for images that might do a better job.

Here, a bare BMW 328 head adorned only with rocker shaft bearing caps (the black things). Note the three siamesed intake ports to feed the intake side of the head, as well as the six secondary pushrod tubes.

View attachment 737217

Here, an early 100D (springs on rocker shaft to maintain rockers' linear position, and captive brass threads for carburettor mounting instead of slots as on the BMW head) with complete upper assembly sans carbs and rocker covers. Note vertical primary pushrods on the right hand side and horizontal secondary pushrods within tubes and exposed on the left.

View attachment 737218

Here, the exhaust rocker assembly of a 100D2 (nylon collars on rocker shaft for rocker arm locating) with secondary pushrods visible. This shot illustrates just how far wide the valves are positioned, with the valvesprings clearly visible. Carbs are in place and plumbed, featuring aftermarket velocity stacks.

View attachment 737219

Here, a BMW 328 head as used by Frazer-Nash depicting the hemispherical combustion chambers.

View attachment 737220

I hope this clears up any confusion caused by my description.

;)

These engines display desmodromic levels of complexity. (Those familiar with Ducati motorcycles and/or mid-century Mercedes-Benz racing engines are the only ones likely to get that bad joke.)

:P
And all of that engineering was undermined by Lucas electrics :P
The Carrera GT has aged ****ing awesomely.

QN7mGRV.jpg

fl0116-230156_1@2x.jpg

Ugh I miss this time period of car design. Cohesive, pure, graceful, lithe, lusty.
I (used to if my parents have binned it) have an old issue of European Car magazine comparing the CGT, Zonda, Murcielago, and MC12, and even at the time the CGT was picked out as a classically great-looking car and I have to agree. It doesn't have the most visual impact of the others but it's more classically pretty, which generally means it ages better. And, as you point out, it has!

Yup, Boxerfest. Anyway, I'm not sure as I honestly never heard of that company before.

They made this:

2002-subaru-wrx-kaminari-lip.jpeg

Twin turbo STi. Probably what they're most known for right now. Although now that I think about it, depending on when Boxerfest was, they probably decided to be at Springfest instead.

Twin turbo STi. Probably what they're most known for right now. Although now that I think about it, depending on when Boxerfest was, they probably decided to be at Springfest instead.
Yeah, I can't say it rings a bell. Sorry, I've seen a bunch of bug-eye Imprezas in WR blue there, so it may have slipped under my radar if it was there. Especially since was raining and thus not many people bothered popping their hoods open.

Latest Posts

Back