Innocence: Chapter 3; Page 4 - The New Me

Page 3 - Regret and Relief

I can do nothing but watch him crash that barrier... Have I caught up earlier and gotten the lead, then I could have saved him.

9104367171_162e2ed10c_c.jpg

9106596816_257b791bf9_c.jpg

I immediately go out of my car and check on Oliver. As I get in his car, Oliver is unconscious, with blood all over his body. Shoot! I got to call an ambulance!

Samui: "Oliver, hang on! I will call an ambulance!"

Oliver: "Hey.... no need... I... deserve this."

Samui: "I will save you, right? Look, there is hope for you! She will forgive you!"

Oliver: "Don't be silly... look what I've done to her... You think a girl will like that? I have loved too much that I... strangled her."

Samui: "Oliver..."

Oliver: "I'm sorry, Samui... and also to Gin. Please tell that to her."

Samui: "Save your strength! I'll just call.."

Suddenly, he finally lost his breath. The head trauma is so strong due to that high speed crash. It's all my fault...

Samui: "No.... No! Wake up!"

It's no use... he's dead...

2 days later, a relative of his arranged his body to be carried back to his home in California, USA. She told me that Oliver was mentally unstable, and that she actually thanked me for my effort.

I think Oliver regretted what he did. He finally came to terms of what happened 4 years ago. He just loved Gin, after all.

I promise myself, to take care of her... I want her to be happy for the rest of her life.

But somehow, I am relieved. It's like a large burden taken off from me. The guilt from not saving them 4 years ago is finally gone.

Then at the weekend, I set foot on Suzuka again, this time driving Nobu-senpai's Supra. My NSX is currently undergoing repairs.

9104367053_9f8992f35e_c.jpg

9106596930_8fafbf7c40_c.jpg

His Supra is actually easier to drive! I don't even detect a slight trace of wheelspin!

9106596428_1662aa95cf_c.jpg

Whoops, there it is. Hehehehehe....

9106596344_8e8d08af51_c.jpg

But I can gun through the corners easier than my NSX.

9106596354_bceabf4550_c.jpg

I managed to set a lap time of 1 minute and 58.4 seconds on Racing Hard tires. Wow... another record for me to beat, eh? Can my NSX beat that?

9104366413_9201303a1f_c.jpg

Then as usual, you know where I'm heading...

9104366309_c40cd04b65_c.jpg

I bring along a bouquet of flowers with me, to lay it on his memorial at the 130R. Aside from a cowboy hat, all I can see are flowers and fan letters.

Then, that white butterfly once again shows up. This time, it perches on my index finger.

Seeing it reminds me of the time that Nobu-senpai finally moved on. I think it's him all along, guiding me all throughout.

I shed a tear on that butterfly.

Samui: "Thank you, Senpai. Thank you."

End of Page 3

Last edited:
Page 4 - The New Me

Well, a few days later...

...it's finally the graduation! We have gathered in an auditorium at the school, and there are plenty of people that will watch this very important event.

Of course, Suzue-obaasan has arrived with Tatsuru-san.

Finally, school's over... time to realize my dreams. Oh, Gin is present too?

After the ceremony, Gin and I see each other.

Gin: "Congrats, Samui-kun. So, any plans after this?"

Samui: "I'll be heading back to Europe to pursue my racing career. Besides, I think it will be my profession from here on."

Gin: "Thank you, Samui-kun. It's finally over. Even though he died, at least I did have a closure. How about you? Have you finally gotten over it?"

Samui: "Yeah. It's as if a large burden has taken off from me. I can finally fly free, without any regret."

Gin: "Good to know! I'm happy for you. I wish you good luck for your future endeavors."

I wish you good luck too, Gin. I hope you're happy...

The next day, I am busy packing up my stuff for my Europe trip. Can I really call it a trip? More of a job, really.

Anyhow, Kaido-san visits me again. What's another car for me to test this time?

Kaido: "Heading to Europe?"

Samui: "Yes."

Kaido: "A friend of mine who's also a tuner seeks you. He actually wants to deliver something to your cousins. You'll pick it up from Italy and drive all the way to Germany with it."

Samui: "Ehhh??? I don't know my way through Europe!"

Kaido: "Relax, he'll actually come with you. He'll be your guide."

Whew... Hey, I've been to Europe just once, you know? As if I memorized the roads there!

Kaido: "Oh I'll miss you a lot. The dumbfounded Samui Kanonji..."

Samui: "Yeah... don't worry, I'm more than eager to learn more about cars and racing."

Kaido: "The most important thing is, have fun. At least you have lightened up now. You are cheerful, why? The wind must have blown suddenly to the other direction."

Samui: "It sure is."

Kaido: "I will now take my leave. Have fun... and I'm sure you will be as great as your cousins."

When I arrived in Europe, I meet up with that man in Italy that Kaido-san told me. He is Alessandro Rossi, a tuner equivalent to Kaido-san. Well, that's all I can say knowing the cars he tunes.

Alessandro: "So, you must be Samui, eh? You look like Takanori, you know? Well, at least there's something that will set you apart from the twins, so I won't be confused. Here is the car you will be driving."

He unveils a black Lamborghini. Um, really... can you tell what it is?

Alessandro: "I have just finished rebuilding the engine and replacing the cooling system. This is Takuma's most treasured car, the Lamborghini Countach LP400! Such a beauty, isn't it?"

Whoa... look at those doors! They open upward! Probably you'll laugh at me because I have no idea that Lamborghinis have those doors.

Alessandro: "Shall we go?"

He briefs me first on how to start the car up. Cars like these need to be warmed up for a few minutes before they go. The controls are...

...heavy.

And so, we're on our way.

9106586845_34105ef70c_c.jpg

Alessandro: "Hehehehehehe.... seems you like the car."

Samui: "It's actually fun to drive."

9106586523_1839a1104c_c.jpg

Samui: "It's somehow controllable. I can control it through the throttle. The steering is heavy, but I can feel the feedback from the tires."

Alessandro: ("This boy... he already knows how to control the Countach? He's on a different level. I think he's just as skilled as Takuma! Looks can be deceiving!")

9108812846_a81537efd3_c.jpg

Samui: "Such a nice view!"

9108812438_47007fa6b4_c.jpg

Alessandro: "Cheerful, aren't we? I like your smile."

Samui: "I'm ready. And the twins will be surprised to see...

...the new me."

The End​

9106825427_59e894e95f_c.jpg

Back