Install UMD info?

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 35 comments
Canada
Regina, SK
Turboash
Anyone do this and notice a substantial increase in performance? I'm gonna do it right off the bat, but was wondering it the gains are worth the memory on my memory stick?

I noticed this option was available for me, but as I am using a GO I decided against it, doubt it would have much effect for me, if I was you i would do it, for nothing else other than extended battery life!

Its definitely worth it! I just did it an hour ago, and the UMD doesn't even run at all, the game will run straight off the memory card, and the load times are way faster.

So you don't even need the UMD in it? I would assume that you would still need it in there upon start-up at least to deter those nasty pirates...

So you don't even need the UMD in it? I would assume that you would still need it in there upon start-up at least to deter those nasty pirates...

yup the UMD has to be in to start the game. but then it runs fully on the memory stick once installed

Makes loading times almost non-existent. It makes the whole game more enjoyable as you don't have to dread the wait after clicking every icon. I didn't think it would make that much difference to me, but id does!

Looks like I will have to buy some memory (only have the 32mb stick that came with it PSP-1000).

How does one install data from the UMD? im confused i dont see an option to install, i have the european version from the psp-3000 gt pack

any help
Thanks

I had no such luck unfortunately. 1GB card, freshly formatted and got a message saying i needed an additional 55MB. :grumpy:

glacier985, What version have you got. Just wondering if it has something to do with EU versions having more languages etc?

I had no such luck unfortunately. 1GB card, freshly formatted and got a message saying i needed an additional 55MB. :grumpy:

glacier985, What version have you got. Just wondering if it has something to do with EU versions having more languages etc?

That is definitely a possibility since I have the US version. Besides the fact though, installing the game to the stick is the best thing you can do if you have the UMD version. Loads times are very minimal.

Jay
Looks like I will have to buy some memory (only have the 32mb stick that came with it PSP-1000).

Get a Micro-SDHC card. They are cheaper than Memory Sticks, and you can use them on your non-Sony branded cell phones or camera too. Just buy a Micro-SDHC to Memory Stick Duo adapter on eBay for a few bucks and you are good to go.

I am using a 8GB Class 6 Micro-SDHC and it works perfectly fine on my PSP. Class 6 means it has a minimum write speed of 6MB/s (i.e. 48Mb/s), similarly for class 4 and class 2. I am not sure about the transfer rate the Memory Stick slot of the PSP is capable of, you may not notice the difference between Class 4 and Class 6 (many memory sticks are below that speed anyway).

Last edited:
When playing with others in ad-hoc, you notice a huge difference in load times. I installed mine and my brother did not. I took about 30 seconds longer for the race to start due to the fact that he was reading from UMD.

How long does it take to install from the UMD?

(Dissidia took 1hr to do ~500MB!)

I just installed my and I can't remember exactly. I think it said 30 minutes when it started. The actual time it took to install was probably closer to 15 minutes but it seemed like hours...

7 minutes 50 seconds left
7 minutes 40 seconds left
Hurry up damnit, I want to play!

Mine ran for about 15 to 20 minutes, which really helped since I got it early this morning, so I was able to shower and eat breakfast during installing ;)

My load times have gone! Even scrolling through the Garage and dealers are way faster. You select a car and it shows up in half a second rather then a 4-7 second lag before the car appears. I'm glad I installed it. and it only took 10 minutes.

Back