Interest Check: 2.4 Hour Mixed Class Enduro - Mar 25

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 115 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two hours later would raise my probability close to 100%, as my girlfriend works that day and I usually drive her to work (she starts work at 15:00 ET).

A heads up to our European friends: 25th March is the day you will switch to daylight saving time, make sure you take that into account (NA switches two weeks earlier).

These links should show you the time in your area:

Primary Time: 18:00 GMT

San Francisco: 11:00 AM
New York: 2:00 PM
London: 7:00 PM
Amsterdam: 8:00 PM
Helsinki: 9:00 PM

Alternate Time: 20:00 GMT

San Francisco: 1:00 PM
New York: 4:00 PM
London: 9:00 PM
Amsterdam: 10:00 PM
Helsinki: 11:00 PM

As stated prior the alternate time starts getting late for Netherlands and Eastward given it's an event that lasts almost 3 hours, but we're willing to go with the majority.

My only question is how would you restrict the time to exactly 2 hours and 24 minutes? Outside of that, this sounds like a lot of fun. If I make it, I'll be in the GT class for sure.

wow, bad news, 20:00 GMT is BANG on my sunday dinner time. I'm usually very strict with the kids about us having dinner as a family meal and for good or worse I'm the one supposed to set the example. That's why at the Marathon I entered the 16 GMT (Mountaineering) and the 00 GMT (KazSpa) , but skipped the 20 GMT (Decisions).

Anyway, I'll re-submit the survey form.

EDIT - Well, my problem got lessened if indeed on the 25th I am already in summer-time. That day, 20 GMT will become 21.00 in Portugal. Better ...

My only question is how would you restrict the time to exactly 2 hours and 24 minutes? Outside of that, this sounds like a lot of fun. If I make it, I'll be in the GT class for sure.

Set the lap count to an unreachable number and then just call the race complete at the exact time of 2:24:00.000 on the race clock. Any close calls between drivers can be verified by replay before results are official.

The two car classes are going to be lapping at different rates and we don't want the GT cars to be racing among AI controlled LMP cars for almost 2 laps.

Great to see you signed up Adam 👍
I still have nightmares of you running around Spa and lapping me - every lap :lol:

Mohit, your new racing suit and helmet arrived!
Gooners.jpg

"Let the Game begin"

We do read the comments you know ;)
@ Tim, and Lucas - I am not a dork!
My Mom says I'm cool :P

:lol:

Is that you sitting in front of the computer browsing gtplanet??

Note: You'll need to be on the official registry before you can qualify for this event. If you run the qualifier immediately you have a good chance of having your entry listed in time (no guarantee as it depends on real life work loads), but better make haste because there can be a couple week lag from the time you submit to the time you are listed in the registry.

See GTP WRS-Online : Comprehensive Guide.

If you are listed and we missed it then you are set, but I don't see your GTP tag as listed in your info on the list.

Still taking interest? I am really interested in this, but only if it starts at 6pm GMT as 8pm is too late for me to run that much of a race.

My only issue is that I absolutely cannot race unless I have an empty track, so I will need 2.4 hours after the 2.4 hour race to apologise for all the collisions, plus I'll get beaten by everybody.

I would say I am 85% for a race start of 2-6pm (UK Time) and 0% for anything later than that or anything prior to 2pm.

Are headsets/comms required? I don't own one since the PS3 is only used for BDs and WRS :)

Thanks. And your suggestion on the survey about splitting up the liveries for the Peugeot is one of the reason we picked that car over a few alternatives. That's absolutely the plan. The GT class car can be painted and numbers can be unique for drivers and we'll attempt to split the Peugot class.

That's why I thought you went with these cars. Nice plan. Yeah that's always the problem with the split divisions, but I would assume a lot of drivers would be flexible and would have access to both liveries.

I still have nightmares of you running around Spa and lapping me - every lap :lol:

Great to be... interested. :lol:

Haha as if the 4 cylinder engine wasn't bad enough, there's 54 kg ballast. :dopey:

Last edited:
Still taking interest? I am really interested in this, but only if it starts at 6pm GMT as 8pm is too late for me to run that much of a race.

My only issue is that I absolutely cannot race unless I have an empty track, so I will need 2.4 hours after the 2.4 hour race to apologise for all the collisions, plus I'll get beaten by everybody.

I would say I am 85% for a race start of 2-6pm (UK Time) and 0% for anything later than that or anything prior to 2pm.

Are headsets/comms required? I don't own one since the PS3 is only used for BDs and WRS :)

Absolutely still taking interest. We'll take all comers and run multiple grids if it comes to that. The survey has probability entries for both time slots so we can track availability and as of now the early time looks more amenable to the largest number of drivers.

Headsets are *not* required at all. However, those of us who do have them want to be able to use them so we're going to try and enable them pending testing of lag/etc and pending the size of the field.

We will also run a few practice races leading up to the main event so you can get up to speed on close racing and learn the other drivers "tendencies".

Absolutely still taking interest. We'll take all comers and run multiple grids if it comes to that. The survey has probability entries for both time slots so we can track availability and as of now the early time looks more amenable to the largest number of drivers.

Headsets are *not* required at all. However, those of us who do have them want to be able to use them so we're going to try and enable them pending testing of lag/etc and pending the size of the field.

We will also run a few practice races leading up to the main event so you can get up to speed on close racing and learn the other drivers "tendencies".

Sweet! I'll try and join in with those, at least one of them anyway.

I think you'll find the only tendency there is to learn about racing on track with me is that I tend to be bloody awful.

Awesome idea, but since I can run only night-time events, I won't be able to participate :x
Looking forward for a next one.

Set the lap count to an unreachable number and then just call the race complete at the exact time of 2:24:00.000 on the race clock. Any close calls between drivers can be verified by replay before results are official.

The two car classes are going to be lapping at different rates and we don't want the GT cars to be racing among AI controlled LMP cars for almost 2 laps.
Timed races usually at the end of the first lap completed at or later than the time frame right?
Meaning as soon as everyone crosses the line at or after 2.4 hours, their race is finished.

Secondary, I suggested this in the survey, why not just use the Z06 RM without any PL? Same figures, probably close performance, but easier to drive and control, and no funky power band.

I'm in it for the LMP's though. :D

Timed races usually at the end of the first lap completed at or later than the time frame right?
Meaning as soon as everyone crosses the line at or after 2.4 hours, their race is finished.

Secondary, I suggested this in the survey, why not just use the Z06 RM without any PL? Same figures, probably close performance, but easier to drive and control, and no funky power band.

I'm in it for the LMP's though. :D

At least one of the admins thought the Z06 was a "total pig" and doesn't like it so we ruled it out and focused our testing on the ZR1.

Also we're not 100% final on the timed finish, but honestly I prefer just saying the race is done at 2:24 and it doesn't matter where you are on the track, that's your finish position. I don't like the fact that you could be behind the leader by 3 seconds, but separated by the start/finish line and you end up a lap down in the results. That might be the real world way of doing it, but personally I prefer the time cutoff. The admins are still discussing so it's subject to change.

@GTP_sjstuart: I noticed you filled in the survey. You are eligible for the event since you are listed on the registry, but you'll need to fill out the online registration form first. See steps 2-5 in GTP WRS-Online : Comprehensive Guide.

Last edited:
Haha as if the 8 cylinder engine wasn't bad enough, there's 54 kg ballast. :dopey:

Yes, but it's a FIAT 500, so the ballast is quite stylish:
Fiat_500_Elle_Macpherson.jpg

Totally makes the car IMO 👍

...really very highly interested in this...

Well then hurry up Eddie and get on the registry (if you aren't already)! We'd like to have you join us, but we do have our standards. :lol:

@Hydro... not GTP_WOW again :eek: Gotta concentrate on the track!

Would the following drivers please re-submit the survey now that we've added the alternate time slot.

• AspecBob
  • EDK
  • Biffy
  • akmuq
  • cote_dazur
  • RacingWorld
It's actually pretty close at this point (Primary=13.6 vs Alternate=11.6) and all of the above count for 0 for the alternate time so that one may end up winning out at the end of the week.

Also we're not 100% final on the timed finish, but honestly I prefer just saying the race is done at 2:24 and it doesn't matter where you are on the track, that's your finish position. I don't like the fact that you could be behind the leader by 3 seconds, but separated by the start/finish line and you end up a lap down in the results. That might be the real world way of doing it, but personally I prefer the time cutoff. The admins are still discussing so it's subject to change.

If I'm not mistaken the last lap in a timed race is the leader's lap when the clock stops. So, if leader is 2 seconds into the 70th lap (example) when the clock stops, if you're 5 seconds behind (therefore finishing your 69th lap) you will still be able to continue.

Putting it more simply. The chequered flag comes out after the clock stops but is only waved when the leader crosses the S/F line. Then, it is waved for all cars.

This is also what I suggest for the event.

Last edited:

Mohit, your new racing suit and helmet arrived!
Gooners.jpg

"Let the Game begin"

We do read the comments you know ;)
@ Tim, and Lucas - I am not a dork!
My Mom says I'm cool :P

Was holding my iPad far too close to my face when this picture came up!!!
Literally t threw the damn thing!!

Should be good to go for the enduro. I will gladly back down for a faster driver to take my place though. I am not at your guyss level.

The event looks like a lot of fun though.

Justin

What an awesome idea!!
rockon.gif
The 3D3 Admin team once again outdoes itself!!! :cheers::gtpflag:

I just registered. I am more comfortable driving the Vette for such an extended period. I could say I'd be available as a reserve driver for the LMP's, but the interest level is so high that it doesn't seem necessary.

As far as ending the race, what if the timer is set to around 2'30.00 and the winner parks on the straight after turn 1. The other drivers park behind him, preferably in order, of course. That's a long straight and there would be enough room.

Since we are going to try and have mics, the fact that the leader is starting the last lap could be announced if possible. Even if it isn't, the pack of cars on the track would let you know the race was done.

The extra minutes would give everyone time to finish their lap, and the S/F line would still be relevant to the position you finish in. We would have the replay information available to verify the results.

Thanks again to Tim, Marc, and Lucas for their efforts! 👍👍👍

I hate to change things but we could use the Z06 RM and run the stock power, and then wack 60 or 110 kg to the rear to make it handle a bit better.

Yeah there really isn't any reason to run the ZR-1. I ran a one-make series of Z06 RM's and it never handled "like a pig" to us. Had lots of fun in it and routinely bested our finest Super GT times around different tracks we visited even in our relegated stock trim with the same tires as series like JGTS and WSGTC.

Just submitted a survey response.

I'm in, this is just too good to pass up and I will be entering the WRS just to run it.

Are we running non-weather btw? Sorry if it's been addressed somewhere else, I'm too tired to be bothered to look at the moment... But if so, then the allowance of using traction control should be tested as a way of easing the LMP race in possible wet conditions, most especially since we're using R1s.

Also, I would definitely support the idea of using a private VOIP program to conduct voice action for the race. I would suggest Mumble over Teamspeak, and have a Mumble server we could use as well.

Anyway, really looking forward to the next few weeks in developing this baby!

@GTP_sjstuart: I noticed you filled in the survey. You are eligible for the event since you are listed on the registry, but you'll need to fill out the online registration form first. See steps 2-5 in GTP WRS-Online : Comprehensive Guide.

Online registration form done. Friend requests will follow when I get back to the console.

I'm new to the WRS and (obviously) haven't done any online races yet, but am looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get some Wednesday night races under my belt before then, too.

I very interested in running this event. 99% sure I'll make the race.

Filled out the survey, would prefer to run the Vette in this one.

Either time slot is good for me, Sat. or Sun is ok.

Never done a mixed class race before, sounds interesting. Drivers in the Vette will be using the rearview often.

Endurance at Spa.:)👍

Last edited:
@wardez (or anyone else not on registry yet). Get your registry qualifier submitted ASAP as it can take a couple weeks to be processed.

Note: if we have the interest for two grids we will run A/B identical events. So if you want to run LMP You can attempt to qualify and see how it pans out. You can still attempt to qualify for GT if it doesn't work out in the LMP.

Ok, that reminds me. Please go over these videos in preparation for what to expect in mixed class racing, especially for those that are new to the discipline.

These videos give great overview and insight into running along with a different class of car but the number one rule to remember if you're in a GT car (Corvette) is to
Hold your line, do not move to try and "let the faster car by easier." This is completely counter-productive and will only cause awkward overtaking attempts.

Now, enjoy the following highly applicable clips:

"I think these few clips are good at showing the patience that is required for multi-class racing.

At the start of the video, I am P6 (of 17) running pretty much by myself towards the end of the race, just turning laps. Then I get to the GT1 class leaders along with some other traffic and try to get by carefully and cleanly. As you will see, it can be a struggle. Once I got by the #77 corvette he hits the back of my car as I slow for a Ford GT. Luckily it didn't cause to much damage, but my top speed, which is low already relatively speaking (I would hit 167-68 on the front straight) is now about 163. The clips ends as the safety car is called out on track due to an incident."

Yes, the faster cars have to wait and let the slower cars race. We have to move around you, not vice-versa. Your job is to simply stay predictable.

@wardez (or anyone else not on registry yet). Get your registry qualifier submitted ASAP as it can take a couple weeks to be processed.
Hmm, ok, I can do it soon then, I can always go for a better time/division through a promotion later right?

Note: if we have the interest for two grids we will run A/B identical events. So if you want to run LMP You can attempt to qualify and see how it pans out. You can still attempt to qualify for GT if it doesn't work out in the LMP.

This is great, definitely the way to go. Allow every one that's on the fence to qualify for either one then pick their best placed class.
👍

Hmm, ok, I can do it soon then, I can always go for a better time/division through a promotion later right?

Yep. Although the easiest way to get in a higher division is to qualify well initially. :D

I've done some multi-class racing in real life, just not in a sim. (although it was on 2 wheels, the principles are the same.)

Like Wardez mentioned, holding your line is the key. Let the faster cars find a way around you. Don't weave around trying to get out the way if possible. Be smooth and run the normal line.

Should be great fun, it's a long track and even with a max. grid there should be plenty of room out there.

Looking forward to the race.:)

The standard we tell all new registry applicants is put in a "fair" effort into each of the two sectors for the qualifier. Fair being dependent on that driver and basically amounting to the amount of time you'd spend on a typical time trial week. A couple hours "per" sector is one ball park, but some people put in more. The idea is if you do participate in time trials you'll be competing in the correct division for your skill/time commitment level. Also we do use the handicap at times for our online races to set starting order, divide grids into A/B lounges, etc. The handicap will not come into play for this event however as everyone will be required to run qualification.

If you know the ring well it won't take you long to get near your potential with the car and then try to execute a good result.

Don't forget you also have to create a GTP_ tag account and grind that up to Level 16 or whatever level unlocks the AMG driving academy intermediate. That should just be a couple seasonal races. Share a care from your main account and run a few seasonals with that car and you'll get to Lvl 16 in 30-45 minutes probably. After your qualifier is submitted you can do another small grind to get the credits for the LMP car.

This is great, definitely the way to go. Allow every one that's on the fence to qualify for either one then pick their best placed class.

Also will allow us to have a reserve pool of LMP drivers in case of last minute cancels in that class which make the field uneven. Any driver doesn't make the cutoff for "A" in LMP may decide to qualify for GT, but could step into LMP if someone cancels. Might get a bit tricky with last minute cancels, but it does give us some options.

PS> Thanks for the video. We'll be sure to include it in the official thread when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back