Interest Check: 2.4 Hour Mixed Class Enduro - Mar 25

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 115 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of using a different means of communication during races for bigger grids. Mumble/TeamSpeak/Vent maybe even Skype, all good options.

Just need to see how many people have access to a computer while on their PS3s.

I like the idea of using a different means of communication during races for bigger grids. Mumble/TeamSpeak/Vent maybe even Skype, all good options.

That is something we are exploring as well 👍
We will try to run a 16 driver mic / lag / etc. test to see how the 'bug' effects lobbies now, but realistically a non-PSN chat system might be the way to go.

I've always thought of the slower class as lapped traffic like in a normal race in which case they do have to make room when possible. I know I did in my previous multi-class race and it will be a bit confusing if I end up in the GT class.

I think the main point for the slower class is predictability. Don't change lanes just because you see a faster car behind you, hold your line and let them find a way around you.
The slower class has the same right to the track as the faster, because they are racing each other, unlike a lapped car.

I've always thought of the slower class as lapped traffic like in a normal race in which case they do have to make room when possible. I know I did in my previous multi-class race and it will be a bit confusing if I end up in the GT class.

In multi-class racing the "lapping" of lower class cars is more dangerous because of the big differences in speed and totally different braking distances.

Therefore the responsability for a clean pass lies with both drivers, but, unlike what happens in a field of similar cars, it's the driver of the faster, more grippier car that needs to "go around" the slower car. As for the guys driving the GT class cars, all they need to do is to drive as usual, keep the line, don't do any sudden moves and, if locked in a battle with a similar car, do not attempt an overtake until the faster traffic has cleared you both.

EDIT: somewhat tree'd by chukabilly 👍

I think the main point for the slower class is predictability. Don't change lanes just because you see a faster car behind you, hold your line and let them find a way around you.
The slower class has the same right to the track as the faster, because they are racing each other, unlike a lapped car.

The two classes are actually not racing each other which is why it's not a lapped car scenario with a blue flag. They are in their own simultaneous races and the cars need to be aware of each other and "share" the track within the guidelines we will set for the event. The OLR admins will set and communicate those guidelines. It will be written up in the OP of the event thread and if there are ambiguities we can talk it over and clarify. The most important thing is that everyone understands the rules and what's expected of them.

It's an interesting dynamic which makes mixed class racing something different and fun. You know we are all about variation. :sly:

Note that there will be several practice races and even supporting races leading up to the main even so we'll have plenty of time on track with multiple classes to get the hang of it. Drivers will have to have a heighten set of awareness so they understand what's going on around them including rear view mirror etc. Having voice communication during the event will be also help out tremendously which is why we're going to do everything possible to support that feature one way or another.

I have the abilty to access my PC while GT5 is running. I also have TeamSpeak.
Haven't used it much though, not at all while running the PS3.

Just thought I'd add this info if needed.

Tim, I submitted the info and survey. I like the Spa and the Vette, and as I noted, I'm mostly interested the shorter race you mentioned.

But since reading all the added info of late, I'm not sure this would be the time for me to be trying to get online racing experience. :crazy:

However, if you need someone [desparately, :lol:] to fill a spot in that second run, let me know.

Thanks

Tim, I submitted the info and survey. I like the Spa and the Vette, and as I noted, I'm mostly interested the shorter race you mentioned.

But since reading all the added info of late, I'm not sure this would be the time for me to be trying to get online racing experience. :crazy:

However, if you need someone [desparately, :lol:] to fill a spot in that second run, let me know.

Thanks

Dan, why don't you sign up and participate in our practices and support races which will all be shorter. See how you are feeling about it and then decide on your status for the main event.

We will have a "reserve" status for those that just aren't sure and those drivers can participate in everything leading up to the event and thus be prepared if they are needed to step in. BAsed on the interest level so far it's very likely there will be a "B" race as well for those that can't quite keep up with the "aliens".

In any case, it would be great to have you participate... I added you to the 3D3 driver database by the way. Be sure to send the PSN FR to our lounges if you haven't already. 👍

Also note that there are several weeks before this event and we'll be running our normal WRS-Online Wednesday races with unofficial ad hoc Saturday "reruns" which could also help you get a feel for it and get up to speed before the Enduro.

Are we running non-weather btw? Sorry if it's been addressed somewhere else, I'm too tired to be bothered to look at the moment... But if so, then the allowance of using traction control should be tested as a way of easing the LMP race in possible wet conditions, most especially since we're using R1s.

Also, I would definitely support the idea of using a private VOIP program to conduct voice action for the race. I would suggest Mumble over Teamspeak, and have a Mumble server we could use as well.

I forgot if someone answered your question on weather, but there will be no weather, just sunny skies and dry track. If this is a success we may run a future enduro at La Sarthe and introduce day/night cycle for the next go around. We did have a really fun rain race a few weeks ago at Suzuka, but we're not real interested in driving these LMP cars in the wet at this point in time.

In any case, we will set the aids as per our WRS-Online standard.

Skid Recovery Force Aid | Active Steering | ASM: Disabled
TCS | Driving Line: Optional

I have a question of my own on VOIP. I have no problem with PC access while I race, but I have a potential problem with my headset. My monitor speakers are complete garbage and thus I use a gaming headset (Tritton AX Pro). Not sure how I could get the VOIP audio feed from a PC into that headset at the same time as the PS3 audio -- if it's even possible. I can easily connect the headset to a PC, but not both at the same time.

Dan, why don't you sign up and participate in our practices and support races which will all be shorter. See how you are feeling about it and then decide on your status for the main event.

We will have a "reserve" status for those that just aren't sure and those drivers can participate in everything leading up to the event and thus be prepared if they are needed to step in. BAsed on the interest level so far it's very likely there will be a "B" race as well for those that can't quite keep up with the "aliens".

In any case, it would be great to have you participate... I added you to the 3D3 driver database by the way. Be sure to send the PSN FR to our lounges if you haven't already. 👍

Also note that there are several weeks before this event and we'll be running our normal WRS-Online Wednesday races with unofficial ad hoc Saturday "reruns" which could also help you get a feel for it and get up to speed before the Enduro.

Thanks, Tim. Seriously taking your suggestions under consideration.

As for the PSN FR, I will be able to do that by tomorrow, as I some proprietary personnas will be removed from my FR enabling me to add additional WRS racers.

I forgot if someone answered your question on weather, but there will be no weather, just sunny skies and dry track. If this is a success we may run a future enduro at La Sarthe and introduce day/night cycle for the next go around. We did have a really fun rain race a few weeks ago at Suzuka, but we're not real interested in driving these LMP cars in the wet at this point in time.

In any case, we will set the aids as per our WRS-Online standard.

Skid Recovery Force Aid | Active Steering | ASM: Disabled
TCS | Driving Line: Optional

I have a question of my own on VOIP. I have no problem with PC access while I race, but I have a potential problem with my headset. My monitor speakers are complete garbage and thus I use a gaming headset (Tritton AX Pro). Not sure how I could get the VOIP audio feed from a PC into that headset at the same time as the PS3 audio -- if it's even possible. I can easily connect the headset to a PC, but not both at the same time.

Me as well.....probably would have to wear two headsets. :lol:

Thanks, again, Tim.

Filled out the survey. Can't make the main event but would love to participate in the test/practice races! I would hop in any of the cars!

Al

Definitely up for this if spots are still available. I'm a massive fan of multi-class endurance racing. I've put my availability at 80 because I won't know for sure until I get home from uni (18th), probably should be more like 90-95% actually. I'd prefer LMP, but I'm sure it will be immense fun in either of the classes. Nice one setting this thing up, guys.

Last edited:
Definitely up for this if spots are still available. I'm a massive fan of love multi-class endurance racing. I've put my availability at 80 because I won't know for sure until I get home from uni (18th), probably should be more like 90-95% actually. I'd prefer LMP, but I'm sure it will be immense fun in either of the classes. Nice one setting this thing up, guys.

Absolutely there are places available as we haven't even opened official registration yet. We are hoping to not have to turn anyone away that's interested in the event, but most likely the limit will be two "full" grids which could be 24-32 depending on how lag testing goes and our final choice of voice chat options.

Whatever the final driver limit is, entry will be determined by a qualifying time drivers will submit in the couple weeks prior to the event. If we have extra drivers those that don't make the TOP N based on time will go on the reserve list and will be eligible to participate in any/all practice races and supporting races and will also have the opportunity to fill in for any cancellations.

The qualifying deadline is likely to be around the 18th of March so hopefully you have access to a PS3/GT5 during the qualification window. We may extend that window a day or so if there are logistical issues for some drivers, but since it's a multi-class and multi-grid event so we need to determine out who is racing which car and in which lounge well ahead of time so admins and drivers alike can prepare and plan. In other words we can't have qualification in the last few days prior to the event.

The standard we tell all new registry applicants is put in a "fair" effort into each of the two sectors for the qualifier. Fair being dependent on that driver and basically amounting to the amount of time you'd spend on a typical time trial week. A couple hours "per" sector is one ball park, but some people put in more. The idea is if you do participate in time trials you'll be competing in the correct division for your skill/time commitment level. Also we do use the handicap at times for our online races to set starting order, divide grids into A/B lounges, etc. The handicap will not come into play for this event however as everyone will be required to run qualification.

If you know the ring well it won't take you long to get near your potential with the car and then try to execute a good result.

Don't forget you also have to create a GTP_ tag account and grind that up to Level 16 or whatever level unlocks the AMG driving academy intermediate. That should just be a couple seasonal races. Share a care from your main account and run a few seasonals with that car and you'll get to Lvl 16 in 30-45 minutes probably. After your qualifier is submitted you can do another small grind to get the credits for the LMP car.

Also will allow us to have a reserve pool of LMP drivers in case of last minute cancels in that class which make the field uneven. Any driver doesn't make the cutoff for "A" in LMP may decide to qualify for GT, but could step into LMP if someone cancels. Might get a bit tricky with last minute cancels, but it does give us some options.

PS> Thanks for the video. We'll be sure to include it in the official thread when it comes out.

If he doesn't get D1, I'll have to make jokes. :P

The two classes are actually not racing each other which is why it's not a lapped car scenario with a blue flag. They are in their own simultaneous races and the cars need to be aware of each other and "share" the track within the guidelines we will set for the event. The OLR admins will set and communicate those guidelines. It will be written up in the OP of the event thread and if there are ambiguities we can talk it over and clarify. The most important thing is that everyone understands the rules and what's expected of them..

I apologize if I was unclear. I only meant to tell Wes that in mixed class racing, the slower car has no obligation to move over just because an LMP is approaching, and the slower class has the same right to the track as the faster. The primary responsibility of BOTH the slower and faster class is to not do anything that hurts either of them.
If an LMP car catches two GT cars racing each other, it is not their responsibility to let the LMP pass. It is up to the LMP to pass them without wrecking anyone, just as it always is when you pass someone. If the LMP loses ground to another LMP because he has to wait for the right opportunity, that is not the fault of the GT's.
That being said, the GT's need to be aware that an LMP is trying to get by, and they do have a responsibility to not be frantic in their driving. The whole point boils down to "HOLD YOUR LINE!" [Don't panic, just drive a consistent line.]

This sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Sadly, I don't think I could maintain control of a car with that much power for a full 2.4 hours.

This sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Sadly, I don't think I could maintain control of a car with that much power for a full 2.4 hours.

There will be a couple shorter (40-60 minute) "support" races on Saturday, March 24th you can participate in even if you can't/won't run the Enduro on Sunday.

Anyone who gets on a reserve list for the enduro (if there is one) or who can't make the races on Sunday is welcome to join the support races. For those running the enduro on Sunday participation is optional, but will provide a good final practice and offer a chance to get to know fellow drivers and work out comfort between classes, etc.

Drivers who are interested in only the support races will still need to take part in qualifying however. Details will be announced when the main thread is up.

Note: The alternate time is "winning" the survey at this point and looks like the more probable outcome.

You could just qualify for the GT class. With racing tires they're pretty OK to manage.

You could just qualify for the GT class. With racing tires they're pretty OK to manage.

👍
The GT class is very manageable, and the car was selected for it's combination of speed and handling.
Any 2.4 hr race will be a serious test of a driver's skill and stamina, regardless of class, but the Vette will be by far the lesser of two evils.

Taming the Peugeot almost drove us :crazy:, and the Vette was a dream by comparison.

In Dr Watson's Daytona 2.4hr, I drove the 908 and really pushed the winner (Wardez) to the line, most of the race we were within 10 seconds of each other, with a pitstop and a spin-inducing draft error deciding the victor. Somehow I can really drive it to the limit, but if I can do it with a DS3, then most of you should be able to with a wheel ;) There are only a few corners you have to be really careful, those in my eyes being Eau Rouge, T6, and T11, especially Eau Rouge, an error there could be disastrous.

In Dr Watson's Daytona 2.4hr, I drove the 908 and really pushed the winner (Wardez) to the line, most of the race we were within 10 seconds of each other, with a pitstop and a spin-inducing draft error deciding the victor. Somehow I can really drive it to the limit, but if I can do it with a DS3, then most of you should be able to with a wheel ;) There are only a few corners you have to be really careful, those in my eyes being Eau Rouge, T6, and T11, especially Eau Rouge, an error there could be disastrous.

I just looked at the 908 car specs for the race you referenced. Looks like it was fun. 👍

Note that we're using Racing Hards, plus the car will be lighter and more powerful at these specs since we're not trying to equalize to other cars in the LMP class we are pretty much leaving it at stock power/weight. Spa eats tires and RM tires would create a pitting festival so we're going with RH tires. We did experiment with ballast which made the car a bit easier to handle, but again the tire wear was a factor in going with stock weight. Tire management will be a big part of the equation for sure -- not one of my strengths, but this will be a good opportunity to work on that.

All FR's have been received and added - You're in Dan 👍

I have bought the corvette, set it up in RM, no extra tunning, and the car has already over 700 hp, instead of the 549 shown in the picture.... what am i doing wrong ? If i use the power reducer and set it on 633p I still have over 600hp.

I have bought the corvette, set it up in RM, no extra tunning, and the car has already over 700 hp, instead of the 549 shown in the picture.... what am i doing wrong ? If i use the power reducer and set it on 633p I still have over 600hp.

Reduce the engine power to 70% and leave the PP alone.

After breakin you should be at 549 hp, PP 633, after an oil change.

I'll have a look at this tonight Frank.

Just know that your Hp will be slightly higher (555-560-ish) than the one in the OP pic.
Something from BHP vs. HP thing.

PP should be the same. Is there downforce that can be adjusted? If so, try putting that to max.

Thank you guys, found almost the right setup, 549hp with 629pp.

Did a 90 minutes test, started really bad with laps arround 2.22 then ajusted my set up and found a good handling and control, managed to lap constantly under 2.20. Best lap so far 2.17.9

I bet there will be a lot better drivers with this car, just put this down to have a mark...
Tirewear will be crucial on this car i think, could do 14 laps, but 15 would mean 'fatal error' or 'game over'. The better of the tires is gone ather 7 to 8 laps, wich means i would be driving almost half a stint 'on eggs'....

But as usual, fun to drive, and in an endurance race, anything can happen, so really looking forward to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back