Interest Check: 3D3's 100 Week Anniversary Team Event (Aug 10)

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 184 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

WRP001

GTP Race Admin
Staff Emeritus
United States
California
GTP_WRP001
WRSOENew3D3.png

Presents...

9071021688_0258025cd7_o.png

Celebrating 100 weeks of 3D3 Racing

Date/Time

Saturday August 10th, 2013. Time to be determined, but a target start time of around 20:00 GMT or 21:00 GMT depending on the qualification format.

Concept

We'd like to gather a reading of the level of interest for a special event that is in the early stages of development and would serve to commemorate 100 weeks of racing for 3D3 Racing / WRS-Online.

A team based two round special event that would go back to the roots of 3D3 and similar to the original 3D3 Special event: GTP Inter-League SuperGT Challenge (not using GT500 cars for this event though). Teams (driver organized) would be country/region based and consist of 3 or 4 drivers. Independent drivers who aren't affiliated with a team could form up independent teams as well if there are no region teams available to them.

It's all about the team. No individual results/rewards/podiums. We'd encourage teams to include a mix of drivers from different divisions, but at this point not going to require it. We reserve the right to create a point multiplier which would be based on the handicaps of the drivers if the teams seem way out of balance, but that would be worked out later.

Drivers of all divisions and skill levels are welcome and encouraged to participate in this event -- the focus is on fun! Maybe some of the teams can practice together and share tips/driving techniques.

We might even schedule a couple team "scrimmages" the weekend prior if time allows to feel out your competition. :sly:

High Level Details

Car: One-make. The car (likely an RM model, but in testing now) would be paintable (body/rims) and each team would pick their own livery and drivers within a team and assuming an RM model each driver would get assigned a unique number. Tuning prohibited if at all possible with tranny and handling, but TBD based on testing.

Track: Chosen to provide easy passing and fun racing while at the same time allowing for some team type tactics (bump drafting, draft pulling, etc). At this point the favorites are... Round 1: Fuji, Round 2: Spa.

Format: A two stage event and ideally if enough drivers sign up we'd run two lounges for each round with random assignment in round 1 and have a winners and consolation bracket for round 2.

Teams: As discussed above country based. Region based (e.g. Eastern EU, OZ, Benelux) allowed if not enough drivers to fill country specific teams. Countries (like UK) can have multiple teams if necessary, but those teams would be independent as far as scoring.

Special Offer!

3D3 Racing T-shirts will be available to order for any drivers interested at cost plus shipping. We'll likely have some made for central EU and US to minimize shipping. Also, we will hold a raffle for all participating drivers in the event and the winner will receive a free 3D3 Racing T-shirt (but must cover any shipping in excess of $5).

The shirts will look something like the following, but the exact cost/design will depend on the number we can order (for discounts, etc):

T-shirt_zps1deef70d.png

What we need from you

Let us know if you are interested and available!

We've got some time to plan for this event, but before we invest the time the admins/stewards want to collect a level of interest and availability for this event for August 10th. Since it's team based, if we cannot get at minimum 16 drivers (4-5 teams) we will not bother developing this event further. Ideally there would be 24-32 drivers and 6-8 teams.

At this point we'd also welcome any feedback (comments, questions, suggestions) on the event concept/design. We want to keep it simple and fun and focus on the team and would like to tie into country-spirit and competition.

Also let us know if you would be interested in T-shirts assuming we decide to pursue that as well.

At this point just reply to the thread with your thoughts/availability. If there seems to be sufficient interest we will create a google based form/questionnaire to help us refine the format to suit the level of participation.

PS> And if you know of a driver that hasn't participated in a while please try and recruit them to join your team! Country Pride! :sly:

Last edited:
This looks cool why don't you do the start time at 19:00GMT because that is when the normal races are and push academy back 1 hour

This looks cool why don't you do the start time at 19:00GMT because that is when the normal races are and push academy back 1 hour

We're somewhat flexible on the time at the moment... There are a few drivers that are not available until 20:00 GMT last time I checked also... will have to get a good read on that.

But this event with two rounds will take longer than most so we definitely don't want to start it too late. I would expect 2 hours in total including a qualifying session for each round. (or at minimum the 2nd round would use live quali).

Yep, I'll try to make it as well.
And I'll take a T-shirt too. :sly:

Oh great, then I'll be the only one on Team Denmark :lol:? - I guess Team Scandinavia - or Team Nordic is better.

Oh well, my presence really depends on when this'll be :D.

Last edited:
This sounds like another great idea, count me in! And I am very interested in t-shirts.👍

I'm interested to join in and T-shirt too.

Edit: T-shirt. As Mohit said (below) front logo is enough (back logo is too big for my taste).

Last edited:
Unfortunately I will be at Road America for Grand Am/ALMS that weekend but I definitely will buy a shirt.

Sounds great. I'll be interested.

Same goes for T-shirt. Does it come in black and with the logo only at the front :sly:.
I know it'll be hard with such small orders but if it's possible that would be great!

Seems a lot of fun! interested if i can make it (holidays!).

Since its team based, lounges with mics enabled?

T-shirts: maybe if Frank doesn't :drool: on it

Nice idea on the team event, I would be interested.
It's a shame that I am the only italian guy partecipating regularly.
Maybe someone will join after seeing this :)

Regarding the T-Shirts, I'm not interested.

Nice idea on the team event, I would be interested.
It's a shame that I am the only italian guy partecipating regularly.
Maybe someone will join after seeing this :)

Regarding the T-Shirts, I'm not interested.

No problem; You could become a refugee and come to Belgium....

Or a team could be made with other people who are not able to form a team... Finland, Austria, Denmark.....

Definitely sounds interesting.

I'll wait till you guys announce the car, as that will be the main factor in if I want to take part or not.

No problem; You could become a refugee and come to Belgium....

Or a team could be made with other people who are not able to form a team... Finland, Austria, Denmark.....

Well there is scope for an "individuals" team, so if you happen to be the only one of your nationality, you can team up with others in the same situation and form a team that way.

I would definitely like to join this event as part of a Dutch team. however, I'm on holiday from 1 July up until somewhere in August. I'm not sure when I'm able to race again let alone test with a team.

Go team Holland!

I'm interested in joining this one 👍

I think that's a good idea, actually, as it looks like there isn't many from the Nordics 👍.

Oh, and I might be interested in a shirt, too. But, preferably without Frank's - or anyones - drool :lol:.

Something we are considering and would like some feedback.

Handicaps: There is a high probability there will be a few "power" teams (All D1). That's OK, but we may want to handicap to even it up. There are several options:
  • No handicap
  • Performance Handicap
  • Release Time Handicap (Attack format)
  • Points Multiplier

Performance Handicap: We would keep the handicap conservative... not necessarily to create complete parity, just to keep things a bit closer. If we go with tuning prohibited, the only adjustment allowed is Power Limiter and we could go with a combination of tires and PP. For example (not worked out, just theoretical): D1=+0PP, D2=+2PP, D3=+4PP, D4=+6PP, D5=+8PP. D4/D5 may also get a softer compound tire allowance - they would have to qualify/start on same tires, but allowed to use a softer compound for 2nd stint.

Points Multiplier (again, just an example): D1=1.0x, D2=1.25x, D3=1.50x, D4=2.00x, D5=2.50x. Could even plot a curve to these and get a multiplier per handicap. The multiplier would be applied to the base points. So assume the winner is a D1 driver with a standard points system scores 20 points [16 pts + 4 bonus for win]. A D2 driver that finishes 3rd would get 17.5 points [(13 pts + 1 bonus) * 1.25]. A D3 driver that finishes 5th would get 11*1.5 = 16.5 points.

We could use either handicap system or both or none. With both we would keep the performance handicap very conservative and just give the lower division drivers a boost to keep it closer on track.

Thoughts? Don't get too caught up in the specific multipliers/handicaps as these are just examples to clarify the idea... Those numbers will get specific when we have the cars finalized and we'll probably ask drivers from different divisions to help us with some testing. The focus of the discussion we'd like to see is more about the idea of introducing a handicap and if these (or another system someone comes up with) would be of general interest.

Again, remember the focus for the event is the team and having fun with it... if the general consensus is to keep it "straight up" on track to see who is fastest maybe the points multiplier is a good option. It keeps the on track battle "pure" while allowing the points system to keep the team results from being a complete pre-determined thing.

PS> Another option would be to create a handicap using our Saturday attack format. The tracks in mind for this event should allow for pretty easy overtakes which allows that format to work fairly well... we could have a gap in mind for each division. Each division would have a "release" time... and qualifying would only determine your position within your division on the grid.

PPS> One final thing. I created a "filterable" spreadsheet with the 3D3 Racing Driver Registry so you guys forming teams can figure out who is in your country/region. Just click the drop down box under country and select "UK" for example to show all the UK drivers. Note that anyone on the official GTP_Registry is eligible even if they aren't on the list... just that they haven't signed up with us online yet. Also, some guys register with different variations of country, e.g. UK vs EN.

Last edited:
Team PURE USA, Sweden, Canada, Britain, France, Greece, and uhh... yeah!

POTENTIALLY READY TO GO!

Once we find out who's interested :D

I'm looking for other WRS members in the NA region or NA-East depending on who is interested for Team WRS NA/Team WRS USA-East.

I always enjoy team competitions... We'd been kicking around the idea of a team challenge so I'll drop in the "bracketed formula" I was thinking would be fun:

starting with 6 teams of 5, everything based on "combined team score" (or average finishing position for each team)
Team A |
Team B }-------> Winner advances to final
Team C |
-------'
Team D |
Team E }--------> Winner advances to final
Team F |
-------'

Drop the lowest scoring team from round1.
The two winners from round1 move on to the final.
Then run a double-elimination round for a wild-card out of the 3 remaining teams; winner joins the round1 winners in the final 3 to determine the podium.

example:

Round 1:
[ A, B, C ]
C wins, B 2nd, A 3rd

[ D, E, F ]
D wins, F 2nd, E 3rd

Round2:
[ C, D ] won round 1, have a bye into the final
[ E ] had the lowest score in round1; eliminated from tournament and awarded 6th place
[B, F, A] = runoff race
F wins, B 2nd, A 3rd

Final:
[ A ] had the lowest score in the runoff; eliminated from tournament and awarded 5th place
[ B ] placed 2nd in the runoff; eliminated from tournament and awarded 4th place
[C, D, F] = race for the podium spots

(this could of course easily be reworked for more smaller teams rather than less bigger teams...
but the thinking is that bigger teams removes any need for handicapping since it's much harder to *stack* a big team; especially if you're putting a country boundary in the mix; 5 aliens is really only possible in the UK)

Last edited:
I like some of those ideas Tim.

We would like to include in the format a chance for all teams/drivers to continue racing for the majority of the event (if not the entirety) even if it's not for the most points in the 2nd round. i.e. you might get in a bracket that eliminates you from first place, but you can still keep fighting for some of the middle positions, etc.

We'd also like to make the races long enough that they develop a bit. I think 35-40 minutes is a decent length where with Fast tire wear could also introduce a pit stop (not necessarily mandatory, but dictated by tires so that maybe 1 pit versus 0 is close, etc.). So we might not be able to support 3 rounds and keep the entire event within 2 hours... 2 or 3 may be feasible depending where the car shakes out and it's characteristics. I guess it depends on how long people could commit. We run 2.4 hour enduros so I think we could pack this entire tournament in to the same slot (~2.5 hours + warmup)... especially if qualifying for round 1 was done already with some pre-quali setup so maybe 3 rounds are feasible pending that decision.

Will keep your suggestions in mind and obviously will depend on level of interest and how many drivers/teams we get. I think it might be more flexible to keep the teams smaller: 3-4... Maybe allow teams of 3 or 4 with only the top 3 finishes in any one round counting (although the 4th still helps by keeping the other teams behind and thus scoring less points)... the only reason I bring that in is to handle the case of DC's or a last minute emergency cancellation which could really throw a wrench in a team. So teams of 4 have a slight advantage in terms of extra insurance and would be the recommended size, but if a team only has 3 drivers they can still make it far if things go right.

There are a dizzying number of options and possibilities. :boggled:

So we might not be able to support 3 rounds and keep the entire event within 2 hours... 2 or 3 may be feasible depending where the car shakes out and it's characteristics. I guess it depends on how long people could commit. We run 2.4 hour enduros so I think we could pack this entire tournament in to the same slot (~2.5 hours + warmup)... especially if qualifying for round 1 was done already with some pre-quali setup so maybe 3 rounds are feasible pending that decision.

Oh wow, you looking at doing this all in one day? That definitely cuts down on the options a bit. The above was designed for a Saturday-Sunday event schedule and I also have a formula for "pool play" but that of course requires more rounds than can be squeezed into one weekend so I'll keep that under the hat. ;)

Non-scoring driver is a fun idea. Kinda like having an alternate that gets to participate regardless of whether they're *needed* to fill a slot 👍

figuring out all the math and brackets does require knowing attendance in advance for sure... which throws quite a few wrenches into the works. some more food for thought though is that you could consider splitting the teams across race rooms to increase inter-team play, team strategy, and limit any need for handicapping.

Say there are (up to 8) 4 person teams making 2 race rooms. Each team then has to elect 2 people for each race, that way every team is represented in each room as a 2-car entry.

Then there's no real reason to "pre-seed" competition since the first round acts as a classification round where the teams are all equally represented in each room, scores are summed from both races, and each team has to make the decision as to whether to put their top-2 in one race and try and 1-2 or split their top 2 and try to win both.

Then for round 2 you could run the top teams in 1 room (all 4 drivers) for the podium race, and then the bottom half (all 4 drivers) for the remaining spots in a traditional "A-Room / B-Room" fashion.

Example:
Code:
       Opening Round
.---------.   .---------. 
| Team A1 |   | Team A2 | 
| Team B1 |   | Team B2 | 
| Team C1 |   | Team C2 | 
| Team D1 | + | Team D2 | 
| Team E1 |   | Team E2 | 
| Team F1 |   | Team F2 | 
| Team G1 |   | Team G2 | 
| Team H1 |   | Team H2 | 
'---------'   '---------' 

Top 4 advance to final for positions 1-4:

.--------.
| Team A |
| Team B |
| Team C |
| Team D |
'--------'

Bottom 4 advance to run-off for positions 5-8

.--------.
| Team E |
| Team F |
| Team G |
| Team H |
'--------'

If you can't tell I've been thinking about team competition "bracketology" for a while now. :sly:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back