Interesting details in cars you like.

On the topic of unconventional top and trim as above, here's a paisley Plymouth.

paisley1.jpg

paisley2.jpg

paisley3.jpg

It would be going a bit far to suggest this a car I like, but the boot opening mechanism on the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC04 is interesting. The rear spoiler was moved forward on the bootlid for aerodynamic reasons, but this ment when equipped with a regular boot hinge the spoiler hit the rear window, so a new mechanism had to be designed.

273332075_5031763210209427_4989069510215130973_n.jpg

273296474_5031762876876127_2568192131290054092_n.jpg

Last edited:
I really love the door handles on the new Lincoln Continentals. So much elegance and beauty! It makes the rest of the door very clean even with the limited edition model with suicide doors dubbed the "Coach".
1a1c6de2-lincoln-continental-4.gif

2019%20Lincoln%20Continental%20(4).JPG
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1533756022097-lincolndoorhandles.jpg

lincoln-continental-coach-door-feature.jpg
Haven't seen this thread yet, so I was looking back, and boy do I disagree strongly with this particular detail. Absolutely gorgeous car otherwise, I agree with another poster's sentiment that it does the luxury look better than the German big 3... but that looks like a fridge handle, or something you'd see in a commercial-grade kitchen. I've just always admired these cars, and I never noticed this before, so your 'reveal' post surprised the hell out of me.

Last edited:
Center section of an 09 to 14 F-150's front bench seat lifts up to reveal storage and access to the yaw sensor.
I also like the bold design of the 96 1/2 to 2004 F-150 and the 97-98 F-250. No other truck looks quite like that.
On a Ford you can access OBD2 with a smartphone for some limited stuff or you can access it with a laptop to do more advanced stuff.
Also some Ford radios are interchangeable, so your next upgrade might be sitting at Pull A Part.
And the best I can think of ATM: my own truck, a '13 F-150 STX, has blackout trim both inside and out so you don't get the sun glare from chrome bezels inside.
Honorable mention goes to the vinyl seats in a 1972 Olds Vista Cruiser. You can't sit on them in the summer but you can fry an egg on one. No butt warmers were needed.

When I think of growing up with cars in the 90s, for some reason I have a strange fondness for cars that had wipers on the headlights.

(As if I needed any more reasons to love a Volvo 850.)
Extremely thinly weatherproofed electricals behind a structure that leaks like a sieve, with plastic cogs and apparently non-stainless steel metal parts. What could go wrong. The owner of two '90s Volvos speaking.

When I think of growing up with cars in the 90s, for some reason I have a strange fondness for cars that had wipers on the headlights.

(As if I needed any more reasons to love a Volvo 850.)

1997-volvo-850-61fae444b386c-scaled.jpg
Ah, I used to drive my dad’s 850, and it had these, too. It also was the front-wheel drive saloon rather than the estate.

Extremely thinly weatherproofed electricals behind a structure that leaks like a sieve, with plastic cogs and apparently non-stainless steel metal parts. What could go wrong. The owner of two '90s Volvos speaking.
I saw plenty of water-filled headlights on cars with headlight wipers but they still look awesome.

Another car I have no interest in but appreciate a detail. Walked past a Ford EcoSport the other day and did a double take: the boot door release handle is in the right rear light cluster and mirrors the reverse light.

fordecosport2014to2017(2)_750_500_70.jpg

Roo
Another car I have no interest in but appreciate a detail. Walked past a Ford EcoSport the other day and did a double take: the boot door release handle is in the right rear light cluster and mirrors the reverse light.

fordecosport2014to2017(2)_750_500_70.jpg
When I was a lube tech in the Quicklane where I work, one of my favorite things was to ask new guys where the door latch was when we had one come in, and see how long it took them to find it. :lol:

Last edited:
When I was a lube tech in the Quicklane where I work, one of my favorite things was to ask new guys where the door latch was when we had one come in, and see how long it took them to find it. :lol:
Did you do the same with the second gen Ford Focus bonnet release? I spent far too long trying to find it the first time when I worked in a scrapyard...

It's behind the front grille badge, for those who haven't experienced it:

142085481_DRIVERINWHITECOLLETTETOPCENTREGRILLPUTDRIVERford-focus-bonnet-lock.jpg.5a5dd689b49abd30a8bafbf717c3a498.jpg

Back