International B License

• Thread starter Swift
  • 41 comments
THanks.đź‘Ť Will be trying these next when my ps3 comes back. A friend has offered to lend me a ps2 but I'll wait for my 3, so that I don't have to start again. Good job I backed up my game save before it went.

Recently, I've been refining my license test times, and some have made it near the top of the leaderboards at GTRP. Since I know that there are still a few people trying to pass or gold licenses, even with GT5 being released in a few months, I thought I'd share the runs of mine for each license that have made it into the top 15 at GTRP. I apologize for the low quality.

Being a not great player, I finally silvered IB yesterday.

Hong Kong, and the two slaloms stymied me and remained bronze for a long time. In fact, I now have no bronze left at all in any license tests (18G, 61-2S 0-1B), except for IB-1 which I left deliberately. I drove the Z4 in a bunch of races, without ASM, to get used to it. I did the non-ASM test before the ASM, figuring that would help me detect when the ASM was doing weird things. I think maybe it worked. Immediately before getting silver (i.e. prior to a lot of bronze and fail runs) I ran the Z4 for a few laps a Nurburgring with extra power--perhaps the extra power sort of simulates the tightness of the slalom course. To get silver in the slaloms I need to get into subconscious frenetic lever-tweaking mode, not exactly knowing when or why I blip the accelerator, and never leaving it constant. Getting silver towards the end of the evening both times, I did not assess my repeatability, nor how close I could get to gold. I expect I'm a long way off.

I left IB-1 bronze, so I can repeat it to hopefully get different prize colors (using multiple memory cards and trade). But, and this is the reason for my post, although in Arcade Mode the MAZDA RX-8 Concept (Type-II) '01 is shown with a choice of 7 or 8 colors, I keep getting yellow--it's the only color I've won in about four or five tries. ("RX-8 yellow")

Is that, in fact, the only color you can win?

Last edited:
I left IB-1 bronze, so I can repeat it to hopefully get different prize colors (using multiple memory cards and trade). But, and this is the reason for my post, although in Arcade Mode the MAZDA RX-8 Concept (Type-II) '01 is shown with a choice of 7 or 8 colors, I keep getting yellow--it's the only color I've won in about four or five tries. ("RX-8 yellow")

Is that, in fact, the only color you can win?

First off, congrats on the silvers!:)

I've restarted my game about a dozen times I think, doing the licenses over each time. And I have never gotten anything but a yellow RX-8 Concept..
So it seems that is indeed the only available color. đź‘Ž

Finally! - After many tries (more than I care to count), two nights ago, I finally SILVERED IB-7 (the second slalom test), and earned the Mazda RX-8 Concept Car (sadly, yellow, not a color that I would pick for the Mazda). My time was 18.099, so I only need to find 4 tenths to get gold! HA, as if that is possible.

This was the last license that was bronze in my game, so my license status has a big zero in the bronze box!

I love the looks of my License Test status: 64/16/0

My problem was that I just couldn't seem to maintain a smooth line past the cones.:dunce: I would regularly over-drive the BMW and end up hitting cones or slamming on the brakes to make the next set.

Good luck to everyone else still trying to snake past these pesky cones.

CONGRATS to SportWagon as well!đź‘Ť I too was not sure if I would ever drive well enough to past this test. But the chase for 200 A-spec points has increased my driving skills and I feel more confident that it is possible to best these hard tests.

GTsail290

Last edited:
Having golded all the tests in the game in the past few days, i have to say IB put up the biggest challenge.

The Special license is relatively easy, full laps don't need perfection, only a good pace, but short tests require absolute perfection, and the slalom tests were especially annoying. The launch is the most important on the second one, because the wheels spin up into the higher revs of 2nd gear if you're not careful, and you lose at least half a second.

Having golded all the tests in the game in the past few days, i have to say IB put up the biggest challenge.

The Special license is relatively easy, full laps don't need perfection, only a good pace, but short tests require absolute perfection, and the slalom tests were especially annoying. The launch is the most important on the second one, because the wheels spin up into the higher revs of 2nd gear if you're not careful, and you lose at least half a second.

I agree Seismica, there are a number of the IB License Tests that take an in-ordinate amount of work.:yuck:

I have not really gotten the hang of efficient launches because I have been using the automatic transmission thoughout the game until recently. I have started to use the manual transmission about 75% of the time now, so I am getting better.

Not being able to remain satisfied with SILVER in the slalom tests, I have just gone back and after about 30 tries at both, I have turned my medal to GOLD! Take that you pesky slaloms!

I don't really have any helpful hints for others still working on this, sorry. My winning runs are just smoother than anything before. Once up to speed, I just tried to be light on the brake and light on the throttle except going past the last cones (where pedal to the metal is called for).

Respectfully,
GTsail290

I've recently made a renewed effort at the licenses, and I've had some pretty good results. For no clear reason, I began with the IB tests. These are the videos of the tests in which I improved:

(This one is fifth at GTRP.)

(This one is second at GTRP.)

(This one is third at GTRP.)

I seem to have made a habit of placing fifth!

I had thought that I was never going to take on the slalom tests again, but I had a nagging feeling that I could probably do better, and I was able to improve by more than a tenth on each; both are third at GTRP.

Finally golded IB-10 a few minutes ago. Now I finally have the entire IB-license golded.

This takes me to 70 gold - 10 silver - 0 bronze. Almost there.

Nice work!

You're making good progress Brother Numsey!

I'm rooting for you.

What ones do you have left to gold?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Thanks GTsail290.

I am sure making progress, the hardest are still left though.

IA6, IA13, IA15 and IA16 for the International A license.
The first can be done, just have to really take the time for them, especially the nurby guide run. The graduation test is the only one that seems impossible at the time.

S3, S5, S8, S12, S15, S16 for the Super License.
Seattle I am currently on, only a tenth from gold but keep on losing my half a second lead in the final sector. Tokyo, Suzuka and Sarthe seem the hard ones here. I can only barely silver them.

But we'll see, just having fun at the moment, building up my A-spec points. I hope to reach 80,000 a-spec points by the end of the vacation after which playing GT will become much more rare again for a while. I bought the game the day it came out back in 2005, but still not finished, that's what I call value for money.

Back