Introducing the Tesla Model S

The GPS tracker won't be given the ability to track actual position. Just total distance on public roads. Besides, if the government really wants to know where you are, they can always ask your cellphone.

-

Road usage tax would be indexed based on vehicle weight and speed, which is the only fair way of measuring how badly your car destroys the road (ignoring aggressive tires, load distribution, etcetera... hell... let the SAE come up with a formula). Not all gasoline or diesel bought is used to drive on. Could be for use in farm machinery, off-road recreational vehicles, small boats or generators. It's only fair to link tax directly to users who benefit from the the services the tax is being collected for. Either that or make all public roads toll roads.

-

This would not replace gas tax, however. As it is, America already pays too little in gas tax... but that's another matter, entirely.

Autoblog
Tesla Supercharger network goes nationwide, gets quicker

For Model S drivers, Tesla Motors' oft-delayed Supercharger announcement was worth the wait. The electric vehicle company today explained how it will expand its network of high-speed electric vehicle charging stations across North America (and hinted that the technology will come to Europe and other areas in the future).

The Supercharger roll out will take place as follows. The number of Supercharger stations will triple from eight today to 25 by the end of June, bringing coverage to more of California, the Pacific northwest, in Texas between Austin and Dallas, and in Illinois and Colorado, as well as the east coast. By the end of the year, Superchargers "will connect most of the major metro areas in the US and Canada," Tesla says, and by a year from now, the network will cover "almost the entire population of the US and Canada." You can see the 2015 map above (click to enlarge) and there's an interactive map over on Tesla's website that shows the predicted coverage area through the years. CEO Elon Musk said on a conference call today that he thinks there will be more in the ground by 2015 than the map shows today.

The first Tesla model, the Roadster, and other electric vehicles are not compatible with the Superchargers, so for right now, only Model S drivers will be able to use all these new stations. All future Tesla vehicles will be able to take advantage of the technology, though, and Musk said he's not against working with other automakers to make their EVs compatible. The batteries need to be built with Supercharging in mind, he said, and Tesla needed to "solve the problem of long-distance travel and we can't wait for others to agree with our strategy. If we wait for some sort of consensus, it's going to take too long. We just need to get going and other manufacturers can either copy us or join us."

Musk also said there is grid storage – using huge, half-megawatthour batteries – at some of the stations that have solar power, where stationary batteries take energy from the sun and store it until a Model S pulls up. That means these stations can be completely taken off the grid, so that "even if there is a zombie apocalypse," Musk said, "you will still be able to travel throughout the country using Superchargers." Good to know.

We heard before that Tesla might announce something about a battery swap. When asked about that today, Musk coyly said he's a big fan of options and that, "maybe we'll have something to say about that in the future."

On top of the increased number of stations, Tesla is also upgrading the Supercharger technology to be faster. Instead of charging at 90 kW, the new rate is 120 kW, which means you can add three hours of driving to a pack in "just over 20 minutes." Tesla previously announced that Supercharging is and will remain free, for life, which makes going on a road trip awfully affordable once you've paid your $80,000 for a Model S. Musk said he's going to do just that, retracing a college road trip from LA to NYC, with all of his kids (he has five) later this year.

Tesla opened its first Superchargers last October. At the time, the company said each station cost around $250,000 to install. Today, Musk said the stations cost $150,000 without solar and $300,000 if they have solar panels.

So this excites the hell out of me because it's definitely a step in the right direction to get a charging infrastructure started in the US.

And I'm pretty sold on the Tesla and it's my new goal to own one before I'm 30. The cheaper version that is supposed to be coming will make that more of a reality I'd say and if it's around the price of a 3-series I'm completely sold.

And I'm pretty sold on the Tesla and it's my new goal to own one before I'm 30. The cheaper version that is supposed to be coming will make that more of a reality I'd say and if it's around the price of a 3-series I'm completely sold.
👍 Go for it! Sounds like a great idea!

I love Tesla and would also like to own one, but it may take me longer. I am certaily glad that Supercharging is advancing and expanding, and I hope to see it in Europe soon.

You know, I had my doubts about the company's survival, but after seeing my first one in Canada a week or so ago, I really hope this company works out. We need more electric cars.

Their stock value has sky rocketed recently. In fact, it's up .32 today alone to a high of 104.95. It's been higher though.

I'm kicking myself for not buying it when it was around $40 or so. That was back when we had the Roadster and the Model S still seemed like a shaky prospect. Still, I've been thinking about buying a share, just to say "I believe in Tesla." We'll see. Give it a few weeks and it'll level back out after the fantastic news week that they've had.

Joey D
So this excites the hell out of me because it's definitely a step in the right direction to get a charging infrastructure started in the US.

Yeah, I'm very interested in them. Honestly by the time I'm in the market for a car (I'm going to keep driving the Corolla until I graduate), a Tesla will be more affordable. Perhaps I'll still have to buy another ICE car to take me to where I can afford one, but I hope to get one soon. I'm a ways away from affording a Model S (if I ever can) but a more basic electric car is a really cool idea.

Wow, that is really impressive. I'm pleasantly surprised that they engineered the ability to do a quick battery change, though when thinking about it, there really shouldn't be any reason this can't be done. One of the most dangerous parts of working on a hybrid is working on the battery system itself. Tesla's obviously isolated the system much more to allow for something like this to be done easily.

The next logical step would be for electric vehicles to have some sort of standard battery pack and connector, so that garages could spring up, much like gas stations, and stock only a few different types of batteries and be able to replace a wide variety of vehicles' batteries.

Could Tesla stations be the new full service gas stations? "Welcome, sir, would you like some coffee while your battery is being changed?"

The whole beauty of this product is the skateboard.

Tesla_Model_S_skateboard.jpg

They could produce the skateboard for 100 years without changing anything. Elon will probably have a press conference announcing new batteries every so often.

There's another electric vehicles competitor whose model is battery swap stations rather than Tesl'a superchargers. However, with this announcement, it's like Apple announcing their iphone and effectively bankrupting palm and other pda makers. Lol.

It's a little hard to see in the video of the swap itself, but it looks like they just lower the battery pack from the car, stick another battery pack up into the car, presumably torque all the bolts down, and away it goes? If it's simple as that, that whole operation should be able to be completed in much less time. The actual value-added time in the battery replacement process in the video was minimal; a lot of time was spent in what seemed like waiting for the replacement battery to arrive.

I like how Elon Musk specially pointed out that the robot automatically torques the bolts to the correct torque as if that was really exotic or special. :lol:

Yeah. Good news is , according to daily tech, it only will cost $60-80 bucks. That's awesome. Still, apparently the supercharger can charge your thing full in half an hour for free. Do you make $35 an hour?

Maybe this is better for people without the twin charge packs.

I assume that this quick swap product will need fantastic logistics in order to make it work in a cheap and straightforward way, but I presume Tesla has already thought this trough as well.

If they do manage to get a cheaper EV for everyone running, and set up enough infrastructure to support it, it'll be only a matter of time before any big automaker bids to buy them.

I assume that this quick swap product will need fantastic logistics in order to make it work in a cheap and straightforward way, but I presume Tesla has already thought this trough as well.

If they do manage to get a cheaper EV for everyone running, and set up enough infrastructure to support it, it'll be only a matter of time before any big automaker bids to buy them.

I hope they stay as an independent carmaker. It'll keep them from compromising their great products.

I'm very excited to hear that they'r eintroducing battery swaps. It means that taking a journey in a Model S is, if you're driving in the right place, as easy as in a petrol powered car.

Eventually, Tesla will need OEM-level money to go forward.Tying up with someone like VW or Toyota is no bad thing if ti allows you to cut development costs.

Except it probably won't. They already developed the skateboard. What else would be necessary?

They might partner up for an electric pickup, but otherwise I don't see how they'd benefit from partnership. Goldman Sachs is always good for money.

In 1 hour and 30 minutes I saw three of these on the road on Friday. Today I saw 1.

Go Tesla! Soon these things will be everyday cars, wouldn't mind seeing them on the road more often.

Sounds like they're working on putting a motor up front. 4WD? Yes please. Because we need to launch even faster!

Sounds like they're working on putting a motor up front. 4WD? Yes please. Because we need to launch even faster!

Been in planning for quite some time:

tesla%20model%20x.jpg

Or do you mean in the Model S itself? 'Cos really, I reckon engineering the Model S for AWD probably wouldn't be difficult - it's not like there's an engine in the front they need to move out the way or anything. Maybe lose a bit of "frunk" space but other than that, should be a piece of cake.

Incidentally, I do wonder how much faster you could get a Model S to launch with AWD. They don't seem to struggle for traction as it is, since electric drive puts power to the wheels so much smoother than internal combustion does there's not the drivetrain shock that upsets traction on a normal car. I couldn't believe how quickly the Audi R8 e-tron launched when I drove it a few months back. You could hit its 4.2-second 0-60 runs all day every day just by planting the throttle.

Probably not much, I assume you just flip the platform around (at least in simple terms).

Aren't most cars that would compete with the Model S already kind of piggish? I'm imagining the weight won't go past 2200KG if they do go AWD.

And 28K comments is a lot. :scared:

Back