iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
blake i give props to you. i gave up on the mazda after the first week. something about that car i just dont like. so i gave up and found i was good in the late models aand ive been racing the Jetta since im eligible for the drive but theres little chance anyones going to get it over the aliens but its fun to try.

IRL now in iracing.

Every week there's somehting new that makes me want to get a good PC and get this. Any estimates at how much I'd need to pay for a PC good enough to run iracing (at max graphics etc.)?

IRL now in iracing.

Every week there's somehting new that makes me want to get a good PC and get this. Any estimates at how much I'd need to pay for a PC good enough to run iracing (at max graphics etc.)?

I was going to ask the same thing :)

I've seriously become fed up with the sterileness and lack of immersion found in GT5P and am looking to jump ship to a much more serious/realistic sim racer, who's idea of a road isn't a shiny glass surface and who's creators don't put the polygon count in a headlight ahead of their decade old sound effects, among many other things :rolleyes: :lol:

The sterileness (lack of general road imperfections, sense of speed, proper sounds, damage, etc.) of GT5P, lack luster physics/FFB, and crappy sound effects have just been a few aspects of GT5P that have really made me question why I play such a unrealistic (at the core) driving simulator. And some of these aspects I really don't see changing much once GT5 comes out unfortunately...but I could be wrong though!

To me, Iracing is more about the quality of the driving/racing experience rather than quantity of cars you get to drive and visual appeal you get while driving. Of course the variety of vehicles in Iracing is quite limited at this point in time, but the content that is there is extremely accurate and realistic...which is FAR more important to ME. At times GT5P feels so far off from a real driving/track experience that I just don't find the motivation or hunger to come back and play again :nervous: To me it just lacks immersion and that seat of your pants feeling that makes real life driving/racing so enjoyable for me. I know a video game will never be able to exactly replicate the real thing, but the PC sims seem to do a much better job in this aspect when in comparison to the GT franchise. Sorry to say...

Anyways, I'm Looking forward to joining you guys and the Iracing community in the near future :cheers: And thanks

Last edited:
if you build the PC yourself you can build a PC that you wont need to update for a good few years for probably around $900 or you could buy that same computer you would build from dell and spend $2k

if you build the PC yourself you can build a PC that you wont need to update for a good few years for probably around $900 or you could buy that same computer you would build from dell and spend $2k

I had keyboard, mouse, and 22" HD-LCD already, and I think many others too have some of those ready atleast.

I bought my gaming-PC from some computer-freak who wanted to have even more better machine for newest games there is... I paid 300€ about whole his 'old' PC, and it runs iRacing very well in normal circumstances.

Sometimes I lower some 'outside of track' options from graphics-setups, if I'm going to race in some race where I know, will be way over 16 competitors.

My main specs:

Core 2 Duo-processor

Nvidia 8800GT

500W power-amplifier

...so it aint so expensive if you just search from 'for sale' section from some computer-junkie webpages, and dont necessarily want everything to being new.

It's also very teachable to buy 'own-made' PC, cause now even I can, and have learned to see, that it aint any rocket-scientist to build your own PC, and it's actually very cheap to buy new components into it, and make them work!

I highly recommend to step into 'own made' PC's world. Very interesting indeed.

After the 3 month Fathers DAY sale, I quit the service.. Good game, I am just waiting for more features, and more street cars.

I got a 1 month free trial...played it for a couple of hours, and didn't touch it again. Everything about it is mediocre and there's no way I'm shelling out an expensive monthly fee on top of $20 for cars and tracks (seriously? $20? wow). Stupid overpriced game, I'll stick with Live for Speed, rFactor, and the GTR games.

I got a 1 month free trial...played it for a couple of hours, and didn't touch it again. Everything about it is mediocre and there's no way I'm shelling out an expensive monthly fee on top of $20 for cars and tracks (seriously? $20? wow). Stupid overpriced game, I'll stick with Live for Speed, rFactor, and the GTR games.

do you care to explain your reasoning on why you think all things in the game are mediocre?

do you care to explain your reasoning on why you think all things in the game are mediocre?

I'd like to hear that also.

I can easy understand that pricing is annoying if you aint hardcore-level in passion, but physics and racing-mentality in iRacing are most great what Sim-world offers nowatime.

iRacing is very different from GT5 in presentation and packaging. it's mostly focused on the actual racing. it is missing a few immersive elements present in other games. I think for the money, some people feel like it doesn't deliver enough.

iRacing is very different from GT5 in presentation and packaging. it's mostly focused on the actual racing. it is missing a few immersive elements present in other games. I think for the money, some people feel like it doesn't deliver enough.

That's for sure.

If you dont know, are you gonna like it or not... just ask yourself, "have I wanted to be real race-driver whole my life", or "do I just like online-racing and cars". I think that second answer just isn't enough for most to be subscriber for long, but if you clearly see youre behind that first answer, iRacing is your new life!

All the best sim-racers in the world are quite much there now, and rest of the 'inside Leagues' will come when iRacing's next Big Update will come after two months. Anybody who thinks, he got talents in Sim-Racing, should give a try to iRacing! (and I dont mean few hours... I mean few months)

It's quite good shock-treatment to get beated by so many hundreds of drivers in there, if youre use to get beaten in GT5P from just a few! :grumpy:

Well, all I can say is... youre always better person when you realize your capabilities, like it or not.

recieved code to play the one month trial:

i have lfs and rfactor and i think iracing better both with graphics and physics.
Damage is excellent.

Just the money issue puts me off a little. I was surprised how good the graphics are in cockpit view as I thought the graphics werent supposed to be strong point when i saw reviews.

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys have got bog standard pc's or are not using hdmi cables 1080p screens.

Anyway i-racing for me is the best driving game I've played so far...

Gran turismo 5 and rfactor 2 are coming out soon so we'll see what they come up up with.

Had a good week at Infineon. Moved to 27th in the overall standings and 10th in the time trial standings. Hoping for some more progress at Laguna, but the competition might be a bit tougher.

What's the difference between the 1.2.0.0 and the 1.5.1.2?

Those looks like different updated versions...? I dont remember what is most recent version, but I think it was something like 1.7.x.x

Many things change littlebit in every third month when iRacing releases their updating patches... physics, tyre-models, new features, new cars, new tracks, etc etc...

The physics and force feedback were nothing to write home about, plain and simple. The graphics were good and the tracks very well modeled, but I could care less about that. And the pricing is absolutely laughable. $20 for just a single car or track is a complete joke. For the cost, it needs to totally blow my mind for me to consider shelling out the money. It wasn't even close. I'll take LFS and GT Legends/GTR2 every day of the week.

Anybody driving the Star Mazda this week at laguna?

down to a 1'20.0xx but hope to make it to mid - high 19's to become respectable!!

The physics and force feedback were nothing to write home about, plain and simple. The graphics were good and the tracks very well modeled, but I could care less about that. And the pricing is absolutely laughable. $20 for just a single car or track is a complete joke. For the cost, it needs to totally blow my mind for me to consider shelling out the money. It wasn't even close. I'll take LFS and GT Legends/GTR2 every day of the week.

If you did not amazed about FFB, there definetly was something very wrong in your wheel or drivers.

iRacing FFB definetly beats 10-0 GT5P, and 6-0 LFS and GTR2... I had some troubles with FFB when I started, but then I took few minutes to read FAQ, and I realized I havent got set up Logitech Profiler, and my calibratings and wheel settings were very wrong.

Why are you disliking iRacing, but not giving better details about things... these situations really interest many of us who like iRacing, and with proper feedback from guys like you, we maybe could help iRacing to get better.

Do you have language-barrier or are you just lazy about posting. If it's second one, just dont post opinions like that... they are worthless without good arguments.

Pricing-structure is good argument to not like iRacing, I admit that. For me iRacing is hobby, and for hobby with best possible 'tools', 20$/month is very cheap.

odd for you to say the physics were nothing to write home about seeing as there's a lot of pro racers who swear by it and use it all the time. but as for the track modeling comment and not caring about it. i guess the sim really wouldn't be for your liking then. that's one big thing iracing pushes its the detail put into the cars and tracks. the tracks are perfectly modeled to the real thing with all the bumps being exactly where they car on the real thing. and the cars all use the original CAD model by the developers of the car and all of there data on the car so everything is mathematically correct with them. though i do agree the pricing is quite high but thats is expected out of the amount of resources which go into making one car or one track but its still quite high.

odd for you to say the physics were nothing to write home about seeing as there's a lot of pro racers who swear by it and use it all the time...

I just remembered that he also said in first post, that he test it only about few hours... not much value in this iRacing Review I think. 💡

I think that some sort of experience in real-life driving/racing helps a lot to find how great iRacings physics-model and FFB really are. If only base for racing is from TV and cheap-sims, iRacing might be just too much because of it's hardcore nature.

In simulator-genre, I would place iRacing to be 'Professional Sim'... just like some Flight-sims are also created for training Army's fighter-pilots, or some for training Airline-company pilots... I dont think you can buy those sims from local PC-store with 39,90$ either...?

To being honest... I very often really wish that iRacing could give some shorter 'fun-factor' races in higher level cars... I'm really struggling to find time to race C, B or A licence races, cause they demand so many hours to find setups, warm up yourself, and then race hour to hour and half!

Racing 'down' is sometimes so boring... I dont like openwheelers so much, so my only option is quite much SRF, and I'm sooo bored to it's track-selection. Lower level racers whinging about iRating-farming aint helping in this issue at all. :grumpy:

I hope 'Organized Leagues' will help my kind of family-mans out of this problem in next build. If someone creates C6R Sprint League, I'm so in it!

Guys, I know how to calibrate a wheel and I'm definitely a sim racer; I take part in some Live For Speed endurance leagues and I am part of a somewhat new racing team http://starlite-racing.com/ . Does it really seem like I'm bad at english? I have better grammar and sentence structure than 95% of people. Just because I don't like iracing doesn't mean I'm stupid, lazy, or don't like sim racing. I also have plenty of experience with real life driving/racing, thank you very much; a quick look at my sig may have been helpful. Stop with the assumptions and insults. With that aside, let me get back on the subject.

I have my G25 calibrated to my liking, with the proper wingman drivers and separate profiles for all of my games. I have been using Real Feel for rFactor and GTL and I suppose I have become spoiled by games that cost less than 1 or 2 iracing tracks with a free FFB plugin. I tried iracing for about 3 days. I have better things to do with my time, so I went back to playing games that are actually worth their cost. The reason I said that I don't care about track modeling is because it shouldn't come before physics and FFB. Instead of using all that time and money on crazy accurate models (then ripping people off with them), how about perfecting the physics and FFB first? If you want details, I'll say that the FFB felt very "loose" to me, even with the highest settings. The wheel just didn't give me the feel of a car gripping the road; it took way less effort than it should to turn the wheel (FFB was not turned off because I still felt every bump in the road and all that jazz. I did try several different settings and never got it to feel right.). All I could think about iracing is that they threw in some fancy technology to get accurate car and track models, then told everybody that it's realistic and charged a crazy price. Don't get me wrong, the game itself isn't BAD by any means, but in order to justify the price, it needs to deliver FAR beyond any other racing sim. I've been sim racing for 10 years and have found plenty of other games that are much more worthy of the money they require to play. That's what it comes down to in the end. $13 a month (and thats only if you buy like a $250 2 year subscription or something crazy like that) and $20 per car and track? Go home.

Last edited:
Kingcars... dont take heat... just look at your first post with eyes of someone who dont know you at all, and you will realize why it sounded like some unpatient kid tried few hours iRacing, and smashed it down without any explanations.

This latest post was much more constructive, and that first one should be made with this way. 👍

I still am littlebit amazed about your FFB thoughts. There must be something wrong, cause my feelings are that iRacing definetly has most best FFB+buttfeel in their Sim... most of worlds best sim-racers thinks same, so this is not only my opinion. Did your wheel turn exactly like Virtual-wheel from lock to lock?

Recommended Profiler settings:

Overall strength: 107
Spring effect: 0
Damber effect: 0
Centering strength: 0

Combined pedals: off

Rotation: 900

Allow game adjust settings: yes

...and in-game iRacings settings: FFB 20-30 + calibrations what Sim asks.

Sorry for being a little defensive, but a few comments were not called for. Anyways...

I run basically the same basic settings for all my games, save for a few minor tweaks here and there. 100% overall strength, then the rest was the same as yours. Can't remember the exact ingame settings, but I did try several different levels of FFB and it never felt right. Like I said, I played it for about 3 days and messed with the wheel settings many times. I've never had to take more than 10 minutes calibrating my wheel for any other game and getting the proper feel, then doing minor tweaks after that. However, I did like how the game took you step by step through the calibration process instead of making you figure it out; great for beginners and the process went fine.

Just got a win at VIR in the Star Mazda. Had a few wins slip through my fingers in the Star Mazda this season but finally converted.

8 races in and I'm 21st overall in the standings and 1st in my division (by a long way). In the time trial standings I'm 6th overall and 1st in my division (again by a good margin).

Really in the groove now and looking forward to the final 4 races and doing IRL next season. :D

Breaking news!

iRacing is finally lowering their prices... dont know why, but I think they have now reached memberbase which allows that.

So great. Here is some examples about new pricing:

1 month $14
3 month $36
1 year $99
2 years $179

cars $11.95, and tracks have dropped to $11.95/$14.95.

Good timing from them. Next build in few weeks will bring huge group of League-Racers around the world, so they dont get shocked when they see the new prices.

Edit: Just noticed official announcement.

iRacing Announces Added Features, Lower Prices: Private Hosted Racing & Race Participation Program Introduced; Annual Subscription Cost Cut 37%; New Public Site Unveiled

BEDFORD, MA (October 15, 2009) – Members of iRacing.com’s popular motorsport simulation service will now enjoy additional features as well as lower subscription and content prices. The new pricing structure, which decreases the cost of an annual membership by 37%, goes into effect immediately. The new features, including private-hosted sessions and a program that awards credits for regular race participation, commence with the November 3rd start of iRacing’s 2009 - Season 4.

The announcement was made by Tony Gardner, iRacing’s president, who said the increased value for members was made possible by the service’s remarkable growth since membership was opened to the general public in August, 2008. Gardner also announced a brand new version of iRacing’s public Web site (www.iracing.com) designed to introduce prospective members to the inexpensive fun of online racing with authentic virtual versions of popular race cars and tracks.

“More than 15,000 people have joined iRacing.com since we fully opened our doors 15 months ago,” Gardner said. “Because our membership has grown rapidly, we are able to both lower prices and increase features. We anticipate that by adding value, we’ll increase the enjoyment of our current members and bring even more new members into our community.

“We are committed to making iRacing a thrilling experience for current and new members. The larger the membership, the better the racing will be for everyone. We believe that lowering our prices will open the doors to whole new segments of the racing community.”

Lower Prices

iRacing.com offers a variety of subscriptions, ranging from month-by-month to a new two-year plan that reduces the monthly cost of membership to less than $7.50. Additional content is also available beyond the three cars and seven tracks that come with every subscription. In each case, the new price is lower than its predecessor. A summary of the price reductions:

Term & Old Price:
1 month, was $ 19.00
Term, New Price, Reduction, New Monthly:
1 month, $ 14.00, -26%, $ 14.00

3 month, was $ 50.00
3 month, $ 36.00, -28%, $ 12.00

6 month was $ 90.00
6 month, $ 60.00, -33%, $ 10.00

1 Year, $ 156.00
1 Year, $ 99.00, -37%, $ 8.25

New Term, Price, Monthly:
2 Year, $ 179.00, $ 7.46

Cars were $15.00, now $ 11.95. -20%
Long Tracks were $20.00 or $25.00, now $14.95. -25% or -40%
Short Tracks were $15.00, now $11.95. -20%

Members who have recently purchased additional content are protected by a pair of price-guarantee programs. Any member who has bought content (cars and tracks) within the 30 days preceding the new pricing will receive within 14 days via e-mail a code for iRacing credit for the full amount of the difference between the old and new prices. Similarly, members who have purchased content between 31 and 90 days from the onset of the new pricing will receive a credit for 50% of the difference between the old and the new prices.

Racing Participation Program

Finally, the new Race Participation Program, an earned credit of up to $40.00 per year ($10.00 per 12-week season) will be available to all iRacing members regardless of subscription type, replaces the previous subscription purchase incentive program. Existing quantity purchase discounts of up to an additional 25% remain in effect.

“We want to encourage our members to race more frequently, and we’re going to reward them for doing so,” Gardner said in making the announcement. “Really, it’s a win-win deal for our members. People enjoy racing against other drivers, and bigger fields just add to the fun and make the racing better. Someone who takes full advantage of the ‘Credit for Race Participation Program’ will earn $40 per year.”

The details of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” are as follows:

• To qualify for iRacing credits a driver must participate in eight different race weeks in the course of a normal 12-week season in an individual official iRacing series. (Only Race Sessions in Official Series Count; sessions in Pro and Rookie series do NOT count, nor do sessions in Week 13.)

• For the purpose of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” a driver satisfies the participation requirement by scoring championship points in his or her race session, and completing at least 50% of the number of laps completed by the class winner. Races with an odd number of laps will be truncated. e.g. If the winner of an individual’s car class completes 17 laps other members of that class need to complete only eight rather than nine laps.

• In the case of a race with no finishers, the race will still count as an official session for the purposes of this program. Drivers who complete 50% of the laps completed by the driver in that class who has completed the highest number of laps will receive participation credit.

• For the purposes of this program a driver may participate at any series for which he or she is eligible. (e.g. A driver holding an A license may participate in B, C, or D level races.)

• Payouts are $4.00 iRacing credit per official C or D level series and $7.00 iRacing credit per official A or B level series. Maximum credit per season is $10.00.

• iRacing Credits earned under this program will be calculated during Week 13 of that season. A promotion code will be generated for the proper amount of credit for each member and then e-mailed to the member prior to the start of next season.

“By both reducing and restructuring our prices, we’re encouraging our members to have more fun by racing more frequently, with more cars on more tracks, thereby increasing the value of their memberships,” Gardner said.

Hosted Private Sessions

As a new option in addition to the official weekly schedules of more than 15 regular rookie, regular and pro series, iRacing will now offer its members hosted private sessions.

For a single $3.00 hosting fee any iRacing member may organize a private race, using a variety of cars and tracks in the iRacing inventory, which is open to any other iRacing members, without additional charge and regardless of their license level.

At the option of the organizer these race and/or test sessions may be open to any iRacing member or made private through use of a password issued to a group of members of the organizer’s choosing. While the race organizer may maintain a point structure for a series of these events, a member’s official iRating and Safety Rating are not affected by the results of any hosted private session.

Gardner noted that the creation of hosted private sessions opened the service up to a large group of online racers who preferred racing in a private-league format.

“A lot of sim racers have organized their own leagues – groups of friends who like to race together,” Gardner said. “Our existing structure organizes races basically according to skill level, which is what our current members want. From the start we planned to eventually add private racing to the mix. We believe that the private league racers will join the service to take advantage of this new functionality, but will also try out our structured racing, like it, and add that to their schedules.”

New Web Site

With the advent of each new 12-week season iRacing.com updates its Members Web site with new features and functionality, the place where iRacers go to race, socialize and keep up with all things iRacing. For prospective members who want to learn more about the iRacing service and community, an all-new version of the company’s Public Web site has been launched today. Reflecting what’s been learned in the 15 months since the service opened to the public, the new site provides a clearer and more complete introduction to the fun of iRacing and affords an easy way to become a member.

Last edited:
I tried it for a month and I quit too.

But not because the game was crap. The game is too good, and frankly, I don't have the time to hone my skills to compete with the very talented drivers. I could, and I have a great desire to beat other people, especially Blake, but I'm also impatient.

So I think what it boils down to is that you think it's too hard. No shame in that, buddy. That's got to be what it is, because every other aspect of the game is far more realistic than any of the others.

Back