iRacing Laptop

You can use a laptop, its what i started with. But no one on here would recommend one if you want to get serious about the game.

The specs on that laptop look like they'll work, but the graphics will probably be on the lowest setting. I used my laptop for the first couple weeks of my iRacing career while waiting on PC parts to arrive. The first time I tried, the laptop overheated and shut off! From then on, I propped it up on 4 blocks and kept a box fan blowing across it whenever I played. :)

I have the same laptop. You should be fine with it. I haven't run into a game yet that I can't run at decetn settings. I haven't tried iracing on it though.

Can I use a laptop for racing on iRacing.com? I am using a lenovo IdeaPad V570-1066A9U.

I've been using an ASUS laptop for iRacing for over a year now. I sometimes plug in a 20" monitor but a lot of the time I just use the laptop screen. The last few months I've started to get more serious about iRacing and trying to move out of the rookie class. It gets intense in some of the races (especially Lime Rock !!), but even with the lowest graphics setting, I have great time. I can only imagine what iRacing must be like on a dedicated gaming PC with triple 24" flat screen monitors and some tactile feedback built into your racing rig !!!!!

The specs on that laptop look like they'll work, but the graphics will probably be on the lowest setting. I used my laptop for the first couple weeks of my iRacing career while waiting on PC parts to arrive. The first time I tried, the laptop overheated and shut off! From then on, I propped it up on 4 blocks and kept a box fan blowing across it whenever I played. :)
I am looking to get a laptop for black friday to use iracing and minecraft and school work... here are my options...
LOWER PRICE IS RECOMENDED
WILL BE CONNECTED TO MONITOR WITH HDMI
Dell inspiron i15RVT-13287BLK 15.6" laptop.
Specs: Windows 8.1, Intel core i5, touchscreen. 6gb ram, 500 gb hard drive. $499.99
HP pavilion touchsmart 10.1 touchscreen laptop
Specs: AMD A4 procesor (2 cores) 2gb ram, 320 gb hard drive $ 249.99
HP touch laptop bundle...no name...ill find it it is in walmart's pre black friday catalog
Specs: AMD A8, 15.6" screen, 4gb ram, 750 hard drive $349
ACER V5 angel touchscreen laptop
Specs: AMD A4, 11.6 touchscreen, 4gb raM, 500 gb hard drive. $199
if none of these are satifactory please provide a computer that is in my budget and fits the needs.
A reply should be ASAP please...for anyone

I have run a Dell XPS 17 laptop for years and I wish I had a better computer. I run with low graphics settings but achieve about 105 FPS locked on the larger tracks with moderate fields. Ideally, I'd like to have 130+ locked. Believe it or not I'm noticeably faster and more consistent with a slight bump in framerate like that. I'm looking into a decent desktop to replace my laptop.

Also, I've read several times that iracing is very CPU dependent, so a dual core will barely cut it. I believe there is talk of requiring 3 cores in the future.

My XPS 17 is an older model and does have an i5, with an nVidia 435m.

I am looking to get a laptop for black friday to use iracing and minecraft and school work... here are my options...
LOWER PRICE IS RECOMENDED
WILL BE CONNECTED TO MONITOR WITH HDMI
Dell inspiron i15RVT-13287BLK 15.6" laptop.
Specs: Windows 8.1, Intel core i5, touchscreen. 6gb ram, 500 gb hard drive. $499.99
HP pavilion touchsmart 10.1 touchscreen laptop
Specs: AMD A4 procesor (2 cores) 2gb ram, 320 gb hard drive $ 249.99
HP touch laptop bundle...no name...ill find it it is in walmart's pre black friday catalog
Specs: AMD A8, 15.6" screen, 4gb ram, 750 hard drive $349
ACER V5 angel touchscreen laptop
Specs: AMD A4, 11.6 touchscreen, 4gb raM, 500 gb hard drive. $199
if none of these are satifactory please provide a computer that is in my budget and fits the needs.
A reply should be ASAP please...for anyone
There doesn't seem to be many good deals for reasonable gaming laptops.

This is best I could find after quick look:

Get the following coupon: $15 off then use it to buy this laptop: Link

They should do, best I think for budget hence recommending them to you. If you have bigger budget then the one in quoted link from tigerdirect.com will run all games much better although it is quite big in size.
is there one maybe a little bit cheaper?

oh and thanlks for the help everyone

Them two Acer ones which you should see links in posts above, they have Intel HD 4400 graphics. Up to you if you want touchscreen or not, if touchscreen breaks, more expensive to repair so keep that in mind.
oh thats amazing. thank you so much for the help!!!!!!! it means a lot.

Them two Acer ones which you should see links in posts above, they have Intel HD 4400 graphics. Up to you if you want touchscreen or not, if touchscreen breaks, more expensive to repair so keep that in mind.
hope you have happy holidays this means a lot. any way i can thank you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can start with videos like these maybe, I'm sure that most of the computers that you've come up with are capable of playing the game but not to a great quality. I'm sure graphics and frame rate will suffer.

Might be able to play it on low resolution and settings and framerate might not be so good. Are you sure there is something wrong with wifi and not just disabled?
yeah weve tryed everything...we will probably just use a wire to use the internet

Here you can start with videos like these maybe, I'm sure that most of the computers that you've come up with are capable of playing the game but not to a great quality. I'm sure graphics and frame rate will suffer.

thanks for the help :)

Might be able to play it on low resolution and settings and framerate might not be so good. Are you sure there is something wrong with wifi and not just disabled?
what would you say the frame rate would be on mostly low-medium settings? lets ssay like 25 cars at maybe daytona

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i know sorry i went a little crazy for an answer my apologies
You need to read this too.

AUP
  • You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

Hi, @ken morin, i'm in the same boat as you. I want a good laptop that can play racing sims cause I'm going to college soon so and I don't want to take my entire PS3 rig with me. My budget will hopefully be $600 by the summer, that should get something decent.
also:
My apologies sir. Anything else I should know about? I dont want to disobey rules. I am really sorry.
AUP
These are the rules that GTP members abide by.

one last thing:

Welcome to GTPlanet! :gtpflag:

Latest Posts

Back