iRacing may have ruined GT5 for me...

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 92 comments
Mexico
GTP_Coxis
Coxis
So last night I decided to fire up my PS3, update its firmware and update GT5. I grabbed the first car I could find (Blue Amemiya RX7) and proceeded to run a time trial lap at Trial Mountain... I couldn't do it. I don't think I can even pinpoint what is it that put me off, but the game as a whole just didn't feel right. I'm shocked, I didn't think it would feel this extreme. I loved this game. I didn't play anything else for almost a year. :(

I hadn't played GT5 since mid December.

Any of you experience anything similar?

Nope, still enjoy racing in GT5 in a couple series I'm in on here (gtplanet). It is quite a bit of difference going back and forth between the two, but still good fun.

You'll find that playing two different driving games with different physics, playing one for an extended period of time will indeed throw you off. I bet if you spent a few days with GT5 you would get used to the physics again and it would be like you never left.

Just because you can drive around Trial Mountain with the Blue Machine, you put this remarks? It's you. Not the game.

How old are you? How good are your driving skills. Come to my lounge, let's see how fast you can be.

My group of 450PP Street Cars only and all assist off are waiting for you at Grand Valley Speedway. We are no pro, just some decent racers.

vinze1129
Just because you can drive around Trial Mountain with the Blue Machine, you put this remarks? It's you. Not the game.

How old are you? How good are your driving skills. Come to my lounge, let's see how fast you can be.

My group of 450PP Street Cars only and all assist off are waiting for you at Grand Valley Speedway. We are no pro, just some decent racers.

Lolwut? He doesn't want to race you he was simply addressing an observation of his. :confused:

Huh? It seems like what you got from my post was that I was devilishly fast around Trial Mountain because of GT5's "inferior physics" or something like that. Uhm, good luck with your races, I think you completely misunderstood my topic, intentions and, well, everything.

lol vinze1129, good job..

As for the real question, I felt the same, and know many people who had to play GT5 for a week before liking it again after they tried iRacing.

I'm the same. GT5 just doesn't feel right any more. Even after adapting back to the physics, it's not the same experience.

There's any number of reasons why this is so for me, most of which are derogatory to GT5 so I'll refrain from posting them.

Lol. Gt5 is not right to begin within haha. -
The other day and laughed at how weird it felt when I cranked the steering wheel hard left and the car under steered. Verses in IRacing where that will cause oversteer with the weight shift. I'd rather be accustomed to IRacing than gt5 anyways. If your going to invest time in sim racing anyway you might as well spend your time practicing on a more professional sim like IRacing. It's hardly anything to be sad about. I

Gt5 also felt weird from the mental side as well. It really took me little to no concentration to race in gt5. I felt like I could be watching the news at the same time. Whereas my mind is focused 90-100% in IRacing races.

Also I don't really like to play music while I race in iRacing because it's too distracting whereas I have playlist for everything in GT5.

Last edited:
You guys have to remember that GT5 is still a console game, which will never be as "hard core" as iRacing or anything similar. That's really all it comes down to.

Gt5 also felt weird from the mental side as well. It really took me little to no concentration to race in gt5. I felt like I could be watching the news at the same time. Whereas my mind is focused 90-100% in IRacing races.

You're not playing online enough then. ;)

For me is not so much the physics but the game in general, from the FFB, to the sounds of the cars, crazy draft, stupid exagerated tire wear, the 1000 bugs the game has, to the overall disconnected feel. Don't know, I really love the GT franchize and deep in my heart I wish GT5 gets fixed and becomes a great game it can be, but from what's been happening lately I know it's the other way arround...
I can go back and forth from iRacing and rFactor with no problems at all, but I can't bring myself to playing GT5 at all. Sad to say it because I've met so many great people thank's to this game, but I'm pretty sure once my league is done that will be the end of GT5 for me.

For this very reason iRacing is both a blessing and a curse. The main reasons I couldn't go back to racing competitively on GT5 are the need to use bumper cam (sure I could use cockpit view if I wanted to but it's not as fast and you know it), ABS, and crash physics. Without even comparing the obviously different driving physics, these three reasons alone are enough to keep me on iRacing until something better comes along.

Being able to jump into a race several times a night, seven days a week, with a grid fast, clean drivers is also a bonus. :)

No. GT5 is still an awesome game in every way. The music, the feel, the cars. iracing will never ever get the same amount of cars. I don't mind turning PS3 on and booting up GT5 to drive the lambo or something down the ring (another track I doubt iracing will get).

Two great games good in their own right.

You're not playing online enough then. ;)

Why would anyone want to play GT5 online when you could be playing iRacing online? Unless you've managed to find one of the few great racing communities on GT5 (and I happen to know that you have R1600) then it's never going to be as good an experience. Random lobby on GT5 is a nightmare compared even to random rookie race on iRacing.

So last night I decided to fire up my PS3, update its firmware and update GT5....I don't think I can even pinpoint what is it that put me off, but the game as a whole just didn't feel right. I'm shocked, I didn't think it would feel this extreme. I loved this game.

Yes, I went through a very similar experience when I started racing PC sims last spring. I had been playing only console based driving games since 2008 and pretty much GT5 exclusively after it's release. After running through the gamut of PC driving games, I signed up for iRacing last summer and was instantly hooked.

I had a lot of clean racers on my PSN friend list and we regularly met up for organized events, so I would occasionally wander back over to the PS3. On it's own, there's a lot to like about GT5. I've said it many times, it's the best console racer on the PS3 by far and PD made a great effort to endow the game with a realistic physics model. And the visuals still blow me away. But iRacing concentrates more on what matters (to me). Picking similar cars in GT5 and iRacing and driving them side by side, it's immediately clear that iRacing is head and shoulders above GT if you're shooting for the most realistic sim racing experience. Losing control and (lightly) smacking a wall in GT5, even with full damage on and still being able to drive away as if nothing happened, just makes me laugh. And there are just certain limitations of console based systems. I've raced in grids of 30+ in iRacing with no perceptible lag. (Occasionally you'll get somebody with excessive latency and their car will phase in and out, but it's the exception rather than the rule). On the PS3, the biggest issue is getting >12 people in the lobby without one or more constantly being booted due to the finicky nature of P2P gaming. And when the field is bunched up together, the movements of the other cars seem exaggerated and unnatural. Comparing the smooth fluid motions of other online participants in iRacing with the erratic actions in GT5, particularly in the braking zones, makes close racing much more difficult and therefore less enjoyable.

However, the biggest problem I have when I go back to GT5 is the lack of consequences for anything you do. You crash, oh well, start over. You ran a great lap, it's quickly forgotten. You won 3 races in a row, I hope you remember. Some random guy just punted everybody off the track, hopefully he does it in somebody else's lobby next time. The last 'organized' event I had in GT5 was over a month ago and I haven't turned on the PS3 since. That said, I've been rather busy lately and have barely played iRacing either. :indiff:

So last night I decided to fire up my PS3, update its firmware and update GT5. I grabbed the first car I could find (Blue Amemiya RX7) and proceeded to run a time trial lap at Trial Mountain... I couldn't do it. I don't think I can even pinpoint what is it that put me off, but the game as a whole just didn't feel right. I'm shocked, I didn't think it would feel this extreme. I loved this game. I didn't play anything else for almost a year. :(

I hadn't played GT5 since mid December.

You are not alone!

GT5 is almost dead to me. I still love running on some of the tracks with some cars but my hobby goal is racing against other players and iRacing is my main game at this time.

You'll find that playing two different driving games with different physics, playing one for an extended period of time will indeed throw you off. I bet if you spent a few days with GT5 you would get used to the physics again and it would be like you never left.

It did not work for me. In fact, if anything it made my PC racing sim physics (iRacing, NKPro) stand out and above the physics of GT5.

GT5 Nordshleife still kicks arse and I never get bored running laps with different cars at this track!
:)

Imari
Why would anyone want to play GT5 online when you could be playing iRacing online? Unless you've managed to find one of the few great racing communities on GT5 (and I happen to know that you have R1600) then it's never going to be as good an experience. Random lobby on GT5 is a nightmare compared even to random rookie race on iRacing.

You can find good racing though. A lot of people just don't look hard enough. Most of the racing series on this site will offer up a great competitive experience.

For me my budget doesn't allow for extra expenditures so GT5 is all I have and I make it work, bugs and all.

I love I-racing,
I love GT

For massive different reasons...
I think in my head i turn a button when going to my pc into the "real race world" as i call it... It feels both fine, just massive different...
Just accept GT can never do what I-racing is doing, will do in the future...

You can find good racing though. A lot of people just don't look hard enough. Most of the racing series on this site will offer up a great competitive experience.

For me my budget doesn't allow for extra expenditures so GT5 is all I have and I make it work, bugs and all.

iRacing's pricing scheme is a little deceptive...Makes you think you cannot afford anything when the reality is you can in fact afford. The $49 1 year membership is what i got. Since then i picked up a few cars and tracks with the massive discounts that had running last week. Theres alot of thnigs people wont realize without actually being a member. the cost is pretty insignificant. I imagine you bought GT5 for 50-60$? iRacing membership $49...iRacing is not something that you get spastic about running a different car every odd 5 minutes.. You do not feel a lack of car content because your so focused on mastering the cars you already have.

I hear your a Miata man('flying miata etc...)... DO yourself a favor. The Mazda MX5 roadster and cup are some of the top series iRacing has. the Mazda miata is crazy fun9(you proably have raced i in real life i suspect) Tons of people race it at all 24 hours of day in iRacing....

I saw your sig,. $400 dollars worth of prizes lol (i dont know if that was sponsored or not). but if it was not then you get the picture lol.

Suppose you spend $49 on iRacing in an entire year...Big whoop lol. Any content you buy, you keep for life.

I felt the exact same way as you before I actually joined and now im singin praises lol.

I have since been in a rooms with Matt Plumb and Richard Westbrook.

And guys like Simon Pagenaud, juan pablo montoya, scott speed, joey logano, Jordan Taylor frequent this game alot!

Juan Pablo Montoya
Last login at: 2012-02-11 3:53p
Matt Plumb
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:19p
Scott Speed
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:23p
Colin Braun
Last login at: 2012-02-21 9:08p
Jordan Taylor
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:55p
John Dagys
Last login at: 2012-02-11 7:27p
Joey Logano
Last login at: 2012-01-05 8:06p
Simon Pagenaud
Last login at: 2012-02-18 10:17p

Two weeks ago, Jordan Taylor, John Dagys, Tommy Milner had an open session at Sebring for anyone to join.....Sadly i had not the HPD at that time otherwise i would have been in in a heartbeat.

this is just the few pro's i see that use iRacing. There are alot more who are randomly in rooms but keep quiet.

Last edited:
I was in a Fixed Indy Car race with Thomas Shecter the other day and yes he kicked my butt!

iRacing's pricing scheme is a little deceptive...Makes you think you cannot afford anything when the reality is you can in fact afford. The $49 1 year membership is what i got. Since then i picked up a few cars and tracks with the massive discounts that had running last week. Theres alot of thnigs people wont realize without actually being a member. the cost is pretty insignificant. I imagine you bought GT5 for 50-60$? iRacing membership $49...iRacing is not something that you get spastic about running a different car every odd 5 minutes.. You do not feel a lack of car content because your so focused on mastering the cars you already have.

I hear your a Miata man('flying miata etc...)... DO yourself a favor. The Mazda MX5 roadster and cup are some of the top series iRacing has. the Mazda miata is crazy fun9(you proably have raced i in real life i suspect) Tons of people race it at all 24 hours of day in iRacing....

I saw your sig,. $400 dollars worth of prizes lol (i dont know if that was sponsored or not). but if it was not then you get the picture lol.

Suppose you spend $49 on iRacing in an entire year...Big whoop lol. Any content you buy, you keep for life.

I felt the exact same way as you before I actually joined and now im singin praises lol.

I have since been in a rooms with Matt Plumb and Richard Westbrook.

And guys like Simon Pagenaud, juan pablo montoya, scott speed, joey logano, Jordan Taylor frequent this game alot!

Juan Pablo Montoya
Last login at: 2012-02-11 3:53p
Matt Plumb
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:19p
Scott Speed
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:23p
Colin Braun
Last login at: 2012-02-21 9:08p
Jordan Taylor
Last login at: 2012-02-21 8:55p
John Dagys
Last login at: 2012-02-11 7:27p
Joey Logano
Last login at: 2012-01-05 8:06p
Simon Pagenaud
Last login at: 2012-02-18 10:17p

Two weeks ago, Jordan Taylor, John Dagys, Tommy Milner had an open session at Sebring for anyone to join.....Sadly i had not the HPD at that time otherwise i would have been in in a heartbeat.

this is just the few pro's i see that use iRacing. There are alot more who are randomly in rooms but keep quiet.

Not to derail the thread, but you're neglecting a significant cost: at least $400 for a half decent PC to play iRacing. Not everyone has a gaming PC. I didn't and it was a significant barrier.

Lol!! Yeah, a friend of mine was screaming like a 15YO girl who just saw Justin Bieber the other day when he who will remain unamed saw Matt Plumb on the same session we were lapping... iRacing is a great comunity and this real life professional drivers are just normal car guys just like you and me who will ask for help on setups and give tips on driving just like we all do. It's awesome!

Don't jump on things if you don't know the facts.

All sponsored.

Nastradamus87
Not to derail the thread, but you're neglecting a significant cost: at least $400 for a half decent PC to play iRacing. Not everyone has a gaming PC. I didn't and it was a significant barrier.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I can barely afford to pay rent let alone buy a new PC. Expenses for my real car take up half the money I make each month. $50 here and $50 there might not sound like much, but if you were in the same position as me right now you'd see why it is.

So for the time being, GT5 is what I have, I enjoy it, and that's just the way it is.

Back