iRacing may have ruined GT5 for me...

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 92 comments
Granted, the laser scanned tracks can also pretty much guarantee that we won't get "The Ring" which I agree, is a bad thing, but if I want to race there, I still won't go to GT5, I'll play rFactor instead.

I don't agree with you guys. Iracing does not ruin GT5, if anything it strengthens it.

The problem you guys are having is because GT5 is only as realistic as you make. It's a console title so of course there are compromises, it's up to you to try and make up for those compromises. Obviously don't use driving aids, but what I think is most important, and frankly most obvious to me is tire selection.

Polyphony has always stated that if you want to truly simulate driving in GT, you need to use lower grade tires, as in, lower than what the cars come with, and especially never ever use racing soft or medium. The tires are too grippy for what they're names claim them to be. If you realize that fact, and race on the tires that you feel are more realistic, especially after playing iracing you should be able to tell. You will have just as fun if not more fun in GT5 because of the crazy amount of cars and tracks. Not to mention tracks like nurburgring and monaco, that you can't race in iracing.

The real problem with GT5 is the online racing community. It's really tough to find people that are even a little bit serious. It's really pathetic but if you go online anyday and look at the lobby list, you'll see that 90% of all the lobbies use racing soft tires, even if they're racing on road cars. That's just sad, and lazy of them. It's much more fun and challenging to race on realistic tires.

The physics in GT5 are not far off the mark, the tires are. Select tires appropriately and you have an arguably more fun to play sim than even iracing

The problem with GT5 is that the physics are not as realistic as iRacing regardless of what tires are used on a car.

For me the reason iracing ruined GT5 is for the most excellent online pickup racing! If online racing is not your goal then GT5 has many other fun parts to enjoy.
:)

I like GT5 because it has so many cars, but honestly I haven't played it for more than five minutes ever since I started my Iracing account.

Let's face it like the guy above me said Iracing has everyone beat on pickup racing. There is no way to enter a room of randoms on GT5, or Forza and get the quality of racing you get from Iracing official matches(beyond rookies).

Also I used to always get dropped out of rooms in GT5, and have problems with entering my friends rooms. Well I never ever have any connection problems in Iracing so that's another selling point to me.

Gran Turismo got me into driving simulation, and Iracing made me take it seriously. I find myself buying books like Going faster!, and Speed Secrets in order to improve my knowledge to give me an "edge" in Iracing, and its nice because all the things in those books apply to what's happening in Iracing.

I like GT5 because it has so many cars, but honestly I haven't played it for more than five minutes ever since I started my Iracing account.

Let's face it like the guy above me said Iracing has everyone beat on pickup racing. There is no way to enter a room of randoms on GT5, or Forza and get the quality of racing you get from Iracing official matches(beyond rookies).

Also I used to always get dropped out of rooms in GT5, and have problems with entering my friends rooms. Well I never ever have any connection problems in Iracing so that's another selling point to me.

Gran Turismo got me into driving simulation, and Iracing made me take it seriously. I find myself buying books like Going faster!, and Speed Secrets in order to improve my knowledge to give me an "edge" in Iracing, and its nice because all the things in those books apply to what's happening in Iracing.

I have both those books as well! Although, to GT5's credit, I got them while playing Prologue in oreder to gold the Evo time trial at Eiger. I really should finish Going Faster.

I agree that the availability of quality races is key to iRacings success. It's not uncommon for me to do ten races per week in the skip (same car, same racing series). Since I like to drive one car at a time, I was usually limited to one race per week when I played GT5.

TomBrady
I don't agree with you guys. Iracing does not ruin GT5, if anything it strengthens it.

The problem you guys are having is because GT5 is only as realistic as you make. It's a console title so of course there are compromises, it's up to you to try and make up for those compromises. Obviously don't use driving aids, but what I think is most important, and frankly most obvious to me is tire selection.

Polyphony has always stated that if you want to truly simulate driving in GT, you need to use lower grade tires, as in, lower than what the cars come with, and especially never ever use racing soft or medium. The tires are too grippy for what they're names claim them to be. If you realize that fact, and race on the tires that you feel are more realistic, especially after playing iracing you should be able to tell. You will have just as fun if not more fun in GT5 because of the crazy amount of cars and tracks. Not to mention tracks like nurburgring and monaco, that you can't race in iracing.

The real problem with GT5 is the online racing community. It's really tough to find people that are even a little bit serious. It's really pathetic but if you go online anyday and look at the lobby list, you'll see that 90% of all the lobbies use racing soft tires, even if they're racing on road cars. That's just sad, and lazy of them. It's much more fun and challenging to race on realistic tires.

The physics in GT5 are not far off the mark, the tires are. Select tires appropriately and you have an arguably more fun to play sim than even iracing

This might be one of the best posts on here in awhile, well said ;)

If you still play GT5 a lot after being exposed to iRacing then you just havent been around long enough to appreciate laser scanned tracks, competiting/socializing with the semi-pro/pro racers, used the tools (like iSpeed), don't appreciate all the other cool gadgets/equipment, didn't appreciate pickup racing with an enforced safety system, etc

That being said I will boot up GT5 / FM4 but I usually feel like I'm wasting time racing around on the lifeless tracks with the poor AI. they can be fun though especially if you've never tasted iRacing!

So last night I decided to fire up my PS3, update its firmware and update GT5. I grabbed the first car I could find (Blue Amemiya RX7) and proceeded to run a time trial lap at Trial Mountain... I couldn't do it. I don't think I can even pinpoint what is it that put me off, but the game as a whole just didn't feel right. I'm shocked, I didn't think it would feel this extreme. I loved this game. I didn't play anything else for almost a year. :(

I hadn't played GT5 since mid December.

Any of you experience anything similar?

Well, sorry to hear that, GT5 is a good racing sim, as you know since you played it for a year, but you're probably just polarized to the physics in iracing, you have more vareity in GT5, but its not relevent either, because the cars aren't handling as 'you expect them too' / realistically, take your pick.

I would suggest, go to a game store and play NFS or TDU2 or anything like that, with a controller, then come back to GT5 and it should feel right again, and I think honestly, it might be down to the FFB - for example, when I turn on my PS3, my G27 winds right, then winds left, then snaps to the center as fast as a T500! (or nearly, its amazing), but when it recalibrates in game, and wins to the center, it doesn't snap there as fast, or when I stack and pause the game, same result, the PS3 'can' use the FFB pretty well, almost as good as a PC I'd bet, but GT5 isn't. Turn the FFB up to 11 :P (10)?

Anyway, if all else fails, many people rave about iracing, and the fact that it's kept you busy for so long means, in the end of the day, you'll always have iracing, and from what you've described, it can't be that bad a thing for you.

Last April, when Sony's network was having security issues and I could not get online, I signed up for a 3-month iRacing trial. A couple months later, I tried to play GT5 again because of how pretty everything in it is. But, it all felt so flat to me after my time with iRacing. I'm not knocking GT5....it's a beautiful game. And, I miss it.

But, it cannot give me what I need - 400-600hp pumping out beautiful music while I make laps at my favorite short oval track. Add to that the relatively clean pick up racing and I've not been back. In fact, I sold my copy of GT5 along with every other console racing game I owned. iRacing was that much of a jump toward a realistic racing (not driving) experience for me.

iRacing hasn't ruined GT5 for me per se, but it has taken me away from it up until now with GT Academy starting. Actually, that was the reason I bought it last year at the beginning of January.

I really do like GT5, but its just missing something for me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but that feeling is there nonetheless. As has been said before, the tracks have a lifeless feel to them(except La Sarthe and Nordscheife 24h versions) and the cars do handle differently, but at the same time some feel the same. Did some leagues in GT5 and they were fun and clean. While it was good, none come close to racing in iRacing.

With everything going on in life(work, family, what have you), my gaming/sim racing time just seems to get smaller and smaller. I'm getting to the point where I really only have time for iRacing. I used to play shooters, rpg's, action, all of them. Liked to play a little bit of everything. Just don't have time for it anymore. So when I do get time, I like to spend it in iRacing.

I like doing the quarterly seasons and try to do the best I can. So I have to not only put races in, but practice and develop setups which take up the most time. I love the stat tracking of iRacing and the "official" feeling everything has to it.

iRacing is where I'm going to be for a long time. I'd like to play some other sims, but time is not on my side. Unfortunately, GT5 is probably going to fall by the wayside after this years academy. Actually, console gaming in general is coming to an end for me. No nextbox or ps4 for me. In the next year I'll be building a really awesome PC and eventually triple screens.

So, with life's usual shenanigans, iRacing is where I want to spend my time. So maybe iRacing did ruin GT5 for me.........

plate88
iRacing is where I'm going to be for a long time. I'd like to play some other sims, but time is not on my side. Unfortunately, GT5 is probably going to fall by the wayside after this years academy. Actually, console gaming in general is coming to an end for me. No nextbox or ps4 for me. In the next year I'll be building a really awesome PC and eventually triple screens.

So, with life's usual shenanigans, iRacing is where I want to spend my time. So maybe iRacing did ruin GT5 for me.........

This pretty much sums up my 'gaming' situation. Since really getting involved with iRacing I've turned my PS3 on,at the most, 5-10 times in the past 6 months. I used to be on it every single day without fail.

I was stupid and bout the PS3 on day one, £425 it cost, I will definitely not be doing this for the next gen. I'll wait for the price to drop. Infact, the only thing stopping me selling my PS3 is GTA:V. I know I could get it for PC, but I have friends who'll be getting it on there and can join them for some multiplayer action.

Tagger
Last April, when Sony's network was having security issues and I could not get online, I signed up for a 3-month iRacing trial.

Very smart, I wish I had done that, I have now become so addicted to iracing I'm not doing even GT Academy and when I bought GT5, it was too late to enter the last one, and I swore I would join this one but I just didn't get around to it for round 1, which I think is over now?

This is exactly where I am right now. I've moved away from console racing and have a great PC rig to game on now. :)

I've not played GT5 for ages because of iRacing, and I don't even have a fancy computer. iRacing is simply too realistic for me to ever enjoy GT5 again. Apart from the graphics, GT5 is crap really, and even on the graphics department iRacing is better than GT5 now.

This pretty much sums up my 'gaming' situation. Since really getting involved with iRacing I've turned my PS3 on,at the most, 5-10 times in the past 6 months. I used to be on it every single day without fail.

This is exactly where I am right now. I've moved away from console racing and have a great PC rig to game on now. :)

:lol: Yep I'm just the same as you guys. I was on the PS3 everyday until I got iracing last august. I always raced with a controller so I got my first wheel and pedal set at the same time as well with a gaming pc. I played iracing for 2 weeks straight then went and tried GT5 with the wheel. I played it for about 30 mins and haven't played but one time since and that was back with a controller for just a few minutes. I've probably turned the ps3 on 10 times maybe since last august. I just like to play my bike games SBK and motogp sometimes and that's really it for the ps3. Don't plan on getting the new ps4 or whatever it will be called.

:lol: Yep I'm just the same as you guys. I was on the PS3 everyday until I got iracing last august. I always raced with a controller so I got my first wheel and pedal set at the same time as well with a gaming pc. I played iracing for 2 weeks straight then went and tried GT5 with the wheel. I played it for about 30 mins and haven't played but one time since and that was back with a controller for just a few minutes. I've probably turned the ps3 on 10 times maybe since last august. I just like to play my bike games SBK and motogp sometimes and that's really it for the ps3. Don't plan on getting the new ps4 or whatever it will be called.

Same here, I got it 2 months ago and now I don't play gt5 at all.

I been playing gt5 almost everyday since release. Started iracing in january and have turned on my ps3 twice. First time was to race gt5, raced 1 race online and quit. I logged on the ps3 a week later to type in my comments bubble on ps3 GONE IRACING havent been back since.

I'm still tossing up whether I bother turning my PS3 on to try GT Academy, which will probably disappoint me, or whether I just spend that time playing iRacing.

Honestly. I played iracing a bit. Now, maybe its the wheel (G27), or sensitivty, I'm not sure. It was ok, but it wasn't really that great to me. Mainly, the forcefeed back wasn't enough. We tried maxing it out, but it still didn't feel quite real to me. . . and I know it's supposed to be the greatest sim ever, but. . . it didn't really feel all that great. The business approach also makes them feel like sharks from Apple's business division.

Honestly. I played iracing a bit. Now, maybe its the wheel (G27), or sensitivty, I'm not sure. It was ok, but it wasn't really that great to me. Mainly, the forcefeed back wasn't enough. We tried maxing it out, but it still didn't feel quite real to me. . . and I know it's supposed to be the greatest sim ever, but. . . it didn't really feel all that great. The business approach also makes them feel like sharks from Apple's business division.

The FFB in iRacing is huge if you set it up right. It is light years more advanced than what PD offers. But to each his own. If you don't like it, keep with the GT5 crowd. As for the business end of iRacing. You will pay to play depending on how deep your pockets are.

The FFB in iRacing is huge if you set it up right. It is light years more advanced than what PD offers. .

Yes and PD even made FFB much softer after 2.04 patch. Before that you could actually feel some road detail and steering wheel had more informative chatter what the tires are doing. Maybe some day I will try I racing but most likely I will just stick to GT5(I do not need much time to commit like iracing monthly fee) and get my realistic track experiences from real cars and tracks.

Yes and PD even made FFB much softer after 2.04 patch. Before that you could actually feel some road detail and steering wheel had more informative chatter what the tires are doing. Maybe some day I will try I racing but most likely I will just stick to GT5(I do not need much time to commit like iracing monthly fee) and get my realistic track experiences from real cars and tracks.

Yeah, I have no idea why they did this. Real stupid move on PD's part...

Tell me about it, every time I remember how it was before the update, I get really sad. I am also thinking about trying iRacing, but money and time, hmmmm

iRacing will most likely end up costing you a lot of money but it is well worth it. Like yourself, I did not want to burn money on it. But after running into sim racers in real life they kept mentioning it I decided to bite. Plus I couldn't resist being able to used any equipment I wished (like T500rs + CSP) together.

You can spread out the cost of the sim over a long duration. I was really cheap when I joined and look at me now I am almost a 100% content owner. If I can accomplish this goal then anyone can. It is so worth the money. It is a bargain really. I gladly give these guys money even when I do not need extra content. I just buy iRacing creds

iRacing will most likely end up costing you a lot of money but it is well worth it. Like yourself, I did not want to burn money on it. But after running into sim racers in real life they kept mentioning it I decided to bite. Plus I couldn't resist being able to used any equipment I wished (like T500rs + CSP) together.

You can spread out the cost of the sim over a long duration. I was really cheap when I joined and look at me now I am almost a 100% content owner. If I can accomplish this goal then anyone can. It is so worth the money. It is a bargain really. I gladly give these guys money even when I do not need extra content. I just buy iRacing creds

Mmmm, ok so if it's worth the money, is it worth the time? worth committing and leaving other games behind ? I know if I liked it so much, no more gaming other than it, and in a way I don't want that. GT5 made me leave games unfinished until this day, I buy a game, play it for a while, back to GT5, with iRacing I don't see myself buying games in the first place :D

Yeah if you get sucked in like myself then you won't have much time for other games. It has a crazy additive quality to it. For instance, I love Mass Effect 3. but when I play ME 3 all I can think bout is iRacing. Same with GT5, etc. When I play GT5, all I can think bout is iRacing... So I would run away if you do not want a super additive racing sim to play in a hurry to be honest

Yeah if you get sucked in like myself then you won't have much time for other games. It has a crazy additive quality to it. For instance, I love Mass Effect 3. but when I play ME 3 all I can think bout is iRacing. Same with GT5, etc. When I play GT5, all I can think bout is iRacing... So I would run away if you do not want a super additive racing sim to play in a hurry to be honest

" So I would run away if you do not want a super additive racing sim to play in a hurry to be honest " this made me want to play it now haha. I think I'll leave this decision until after college, I'll have free time if not all the time lol, thanks dude :cheers:

Welcome aboard 👍

Thanks for your PM. I try my best to pull over everyone I can. Since joining iRacing I have become a much better racer. Using the tools such as iSpeed Lap Analyzer I have went from the back to the front regularly finishing in the front of the pack. I am constantly learning something new and I can't wait for you guys to feel the same. 👍

Mmmm, ok so if it's worth the money, is it worth the time? worth committing and leaving other games behind ? I know if I liked it so much, no more gaming other than it, and in a way I don't want that. GT5 made me leave games unfinished until this day, I buy a game, play it for a while, back to GT5, with iRacing I don't see myself buying games in the first place :D

You don't have to leave other games behind at all. I find, whatever series I want to run, I only need about 45min of practice at most, even if I haven't touched iracing in a week to get up to speed an enter races. Races are usually a half hour about so you could spend 2-3 hours after work on iracing, then the rest of the night on whatever. I'm getting pretty addicted to iracing but I still play a bit of my other games, although I have noticed I'm no longer interested in buying new games since I'm enjoying what I got.

The price though, it is and isn't worth it. The subcription fee is absolutely worth it, but the cars and tracks are a rip. Of course if you buy only a little at a time, it won't seem like it, but really it isn't worth what they're asking even for the best competitive racing around. When you've had it for 2 months, you start to realize how much it's going to end up costing and I don't think it's worth it. If I had to guess I'd say I'll end up spending over 3 hundo not including the subscription and I just can't say that it's worth it although that's not stopping me. The only thing that will stop me, is when Assetto Corsa comes out.

I look at it in the way of, "I'm not that interested in the PS4/ Orbis or whatever anymore" (the inability to use purchased pre-owned games really turned me away) so I am probably saving money, I think awhile ago someone on here said everything at once is 25% off which is about $530, and everything in groups of 6 @ 20% off is about $640, and in groups of 3 is $7xx, but I don't know what the exact numbers are, or where the post is, nor is there any need to buy everything

Back