Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Thread starter Joel
  • 400 comments

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Total voters
The definition of a sandwich: "an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal."

Since Hot Dogs only use 1 piece of bread, I'm going to say no.

The definition of a sandwich: "an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal."

So if my hotdog bun splits in two I no longer have a hotdog?

This thread has got me remembering the old SNL Harry Caray skits where he asks an even deeper question:

After further research, a hotdog can be called a sandwhich in certain rare cases. As shown in this scene from the classic 1989 movie "UHF", if you slice a Twinkie and add a hotdog and some pressurized canned cheese, it becomes a Twinkie Weiner Sandwhich.

There's even recipes on the Internet for it:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/146034/twinkie-wiener-sandwich/

Now if I can just find a game show where they spin the Wheel of Fish, I'll be a happy camper.

I say yes.
Substitute the hotdog for a beef sasauge and put on some caramelized onion and you got a sausage sandwich/sausage sizzle.

debunked (ice cream sandwich, no bread):

retrieve.cfm

Also debunked (meatball sub sandwich, one piece of bread):

meatball.png

Also debunked (this is a half sandwich made out of one piece of bread):

IMG_20121015_121613.jpg

I bet John Montagu never thought it would escalate to this when he wanted to eat at his card table without having to get up and have a proper meal.

Maybe in parts of Vietnam you can get a real Hot Dog.

I don't think anyone is ever going to say a hot dog is made out of dog. You can't call it a Sandwich because that just doesn't make sense its like calling a flying saucer a airplane.

I don't think anyone is ever going to say a hot dog is made out of dog. You can't call it a Sandwich because that just doesn't make sense its like calling a flying saucer a airplane.

I know it was just a joke, I read that in Vietnam they do eat dog or in parts of Vietnam I can't remember well.

Edit: Just had a quick look at the ol' Wikipedia and it's a lot worse than I thought :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

I know it was just a joke, I read that in Vietnam they do eat dog or in parts of Vietnam I can't remember well.

Edit: Just had a quick look at the ol' Wikipedia and it's a lot worse than I thought :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat
Both of my sister in laws are Vietnamese, and yes they do. My brothers been over to Vietnam a couple times, one of their delicacies is a cooked chicken egg with the baby chicken inside. It's a different culture, but I bet the food tastes pretty good.

Both of my sister in laws are Vietnamese, and yes they do. My brothers been over to Vietnam a couple times, one of their delicacies is a cooked chicken egg with the baby chicken inside. It's a different culture, but I bet the food tastes pretty good.

I've tried the one with a duck egg before. A little pinch of salt + vietnamese basil made for a pretty decent snack.

I've heard about the egg with the baby chicken and made my stomach turn haha but like you say it's a different culture. I was born in Argentina and we used to have Morcillas in asados (BBQs) which are these blood sausages and I love them, it's not as exotic here in Australia since some know the Black Pudding but I told some aussies about it and they nearly puked when I mentioned we eat this.

I used to work in a technical support contact centre. It was a pretty terrible job. How many times can one tell someone to 'turn it off and on again' without getting bored, right?! On this particular day there had been a visitor on site, so there was some spare office sandwiches. We ended up discussing the sandwich at great length. One of my team mates uttered one of the most incredulous things I have ever heard.
'If I had a sandwich, and cut it in half, I would have two sandwiches'
There was not an ounce of sarcasm or whimsy in his voice. This man was serious!
After a good few (many) minutes explaining to him why he was wrong, he decided to give me a playful 'punch' in the shoulder and I saw red. I swore loudly and punched him in the face, cutting him under his left eye.
I was instantly put on suspension and asked to leave the office, as was my foil. Except he didn't have his wallet, so I had to lend him a tenner to get the train home.
If you ask around, the story varies from us having a full on ufc style dust up to a slightly exaggerated version of the real events, depending on which trainer has used it as an example of 'how not to resolve workplace conflict'.
Anyway, I got the sack.
I think a hotdog is a sandwich and if any of you think otherwise, put 'em up!

Nothing wrong with it been named after a dog.

There is if you say "call a spade a spade", I think it's getting lost in translation... it has to be exactly and precisely what you say it is if you use that phrase ;)

I don't think anyone is ever going to say a hot dog is made out of dog.

It's very likely that there was dog in frankfurters (and many other würste) early on, it's only in the last 100 years that the meat has fallen out of fashion in Europe.

'If I had a sandwich, and cut it in half, I would have two sandwiches'
There was not an ounce of sarcasm or whimsy in his voice. This man was serious!

He was right - the definition of sandwich does not imply a border or the quantity of items therein. Halve a sandwich and you have two sandwiches. :D

Back