Is ABS Weak better than ABS default?

• Thread starter Sander 001
  • 100 comments
I’ve been using ABS Weak for a while now and I just don’t understand if it’s better than ABS default. I know under some circumstances it really helps like with road cars and sport tires but what about race cars on racing tires? I feel like braking distances aren’t better and definitely car control is decreased with ABS Weak.

Maybe I’m just not good enough to be consistently finding the correct brake pressures? I’m on a G29 btw

Thoughts, tips?

Personally I use Weak, since there’s no ABS slider anymore I sort of assumed that Weak is the closest to 1, which I would use in GT5 and GT6. Can’t speak much for Default though.

I am quicker with full abs in GTS.
With other games I reduce it as much as I can but it's harder to tell threshold braking in GTS (plus much more a pain to adjust)

I testest it for two days. I had consistent times on the track (+-0.2secs over 10 laps per lap) and with ABS weak i was a little slower. The breakpoints are nearly the same, but the feeling for car balancing is in my opinion better than weak abs. So, if you a consistent driver and you need the last 0.2 secs on a lap, the ABS Strong is the better choice.

I’ve been using ABS Weak for a while now and I just don’t understand if it’s better than ABS default. I know under some circumstances it really helps like with road cars and sport tires but what about race cars on racing tires? I feel like braking distances aren’t better and definitely car control is decreased with ABS Weak.

Maybe I’m just not good enough to be consistently finding the correct brake pressures? I’m on a G29 btw

Thoughts, tips?

Unfortunately, default ABS has to be used if you want those extra few tenths. I'm not sure about Default ABS with the other groups, but certainly with Gr.2, Gr. 3 and Gr. 4, it prevents the car from rotating properly when you are managing the weight shift over the front wheels when releasing the brake pedal. It generally slows the car down more than you would like if you try and rotate the car in the conventional manner. The fastest drivers seem to be finding the time by coordinating aggressive steering input with a precise amount of braking rather than attempting to find the limit of grip by feel.

Again, another critical flaw which dilutes GTS and probably won't be addressed.

When I first started playing GT Sport last month, I had ABS on weak believing it was similar to ABS 1 in GT6. I went to default after too many lockups and excessive tire wear despite brake modulation. Weak might be slighty better for braking distances but that's negated and then some by the car not rotating.

I just completed the GR2 races in campaign with ABS on weak and it felt great, I then tried the GR3 endurance race with the same setting and it felt like it was off totally..... the brakes just lock too early, like instantly.... this doesn’t happen in any other game or in real life.

I’ve resided to having it to default in future.

Surely 'Better' is a relative term based on driver, car, hardware and preference...

I took it as “best representation of braking whilst staying fast”

Brakes locking at 70% travel at full downforce load in a straight line is not where it should be (weak ABS for you )

When I first started playing GT Sport last month, I had ABS on weak believing it was similar to ABS 1 in GT6. I went to default after too many lockups and excessive tire wear despite brake modulation. Weak might be slighty better for braking distances but that's negated and then some by the car not rotating.

I took it as “best representation of braking whilst staying fast”

Brakes locking at 70% travel at full downforce load in a straight line is not where it should be (weak ABS for you )

So THAT’S why I was having so many issues with my Gr.3/4 McLaren (among others) being an absolute handful in the corners. Just felt like the brakes were made of old teabags and the actual turn in was pretty horrific sometimes. I’ll have to give Default ABS a try then. Don’t know why I never made the assumption that my brakes were locking; maybe I was just sure that couldn’t be the issue since the ABS wasn’t totally off and I assumed it was close to ABS 1 on GT6.

This thread is almost a year old.

There have been several reworks of the ABS system and what was stated then doesn't really apply anymore.

If you trail brake at all, it's impossible to do so with ABS set to default.

Um, no? Even if the physics have been changed several times since this thread first existed, ABS Default being the 'magic brake' setting that makes you faster on this game has remained a constant. I don't think there's a single top tier driver out there running ABS Weak right now. There is literally no reason to use it in a competitive setting, and only exists for those who want more realistic ABS behaviour when driving offline.

This thread is almost a year old.

There have been several reworks of the ABS system and what was stated then doesn't really apply anymore.

How does it feel replying to and complaining about someone bumping an old thread, then just being completely wrong. I imagine it feels like being an utter idiot.

That comment seems kind of uncalled for. As far as I know everyone here is allowed to have an opinion.

Thank you.
People who respond like that don't deserve any attention in my opinion. He's been ignored through the forum and will remain there.

Personally I've tried ABS default for a couple races when I got the game. I couldn't trail brake for crap, and haven't re-enabled it since. It was far to unrealisitic. Maybe things have changed, maybe not.

And as far as others saying they don't know of any of the top players driving with with ABS default, in my experience that's just not true. All of the *fastest* players I know (and speak to in game) actually drive with ABS off in order to have complete control over the car. And their quick as hell.

Just showed his skill level I guess ;)

The world tour events run with ABS default, so the fastest players in the game do so as well. No point in running weak of off for ABS when you're stuck to using it default in the main competitions.

The only actual difference I've noticed with the 3 settings is default gives the best braking stability, at the expense of less rotation while turning the car, and off gives the least braking stability while being able to freely rotate the car while turning.

All of the *fastest* players I know (and speak to in game) actually drive with ABS off in order to have complete control over the car.
We're going to need some names here because ABS Off is ten times worse than ABS Weak for competitive reasons. It's so bad that I think the game should specifically outlaw attempting to run a sport mode race without ABS. You're at severe risk of becoming a missile in every braking zone because one mistake in brake pressure makes you skid straight on.

My experience with all three settings was actually the exact opposite of GTPorsche. Off was hopeless for a pad user like myself, whilst Weak would sometimes pull up quicker than Default but also make the car struggle on turn-in.

We're going to need some names here because ABS Off is ten times worse than ABS Weak for competitive reasons. It's so bad that I think the game should specifically outlaw attempting to run a sport mode race without ABS. You're at severe risk of becoming a missile in every braking zone because one mistake in brake pressure makes you skid straight on.

My experience with all three settings was actually the exact opposite of GTPorsche. Off was hopeless for a pad user like myself, whilst Weak would sometimes pull up quicker than Default but also make the car struggle on turn-in.
It takes more modulation of brakes to fully utilize weak or off, but if you've got the brakes locked up, the car won't turn in very well.

It's all completely relative to a person's skill level with driving without any aids.

Consider if that's the only way one drives in-game, their degree of experience is going to be exponentially greater each time they drive compared to one who doesn't or hardly ever drives without 0 aids.

I completely agree it's totally dangerous if the experience isn't there.. I've tried myself and became a missile on a couple of occasions and as a result I only practice without ABS outside of live games lol... With that said I'm adept enough now to at least see WHY they smoke everyone. It's not easy, but it's doable.

And it's also naieve to suggest that only fastest players are at the world events. That's impossible to prove without input and data straight from PD. Don't get me wrong, their frkn good. However there are drivers out there who don't care about those things, and henceforth; don't participate. Maybe the ABS requirement is one reason why... Just my. 02

There are many top drivers who didn’t participate and they use ABS default. Hopefully when you are able to reach the limit of the car you will understand why everyone seems so certain.

I always race with ABS off. Turning it on doesn't make sense for me, because I use a CSL Elite with a loadcell. Tresshold braking without ABS is indeed hard with this game but doable with lots of practice. To me it's more fun to drive like this and yes, sometimes I lose control and F-up my race. It's all in the game I suppose.

Back