Is ABS Weak better than ABS default?

• Thread starter Sander 001
  • 100 comments
This is where topics get messed up as people be talking about different things.

What Im saying has nothing to do if you are faster with weak over default or not. Same as it has nothing to do with if IM Faster weak or default.

The debate is what is faster.

This only determined by whats topping the leaderboards, because however much faster I may be with weak, and however much faster you and others are with weak, what does that mean as far as what's faster when somebody else is faster with Default?

Now if we get somebody to outrun everybody whilst using weak the results are talking.

This is not much of a debate, its entirely based on results not theories or opinions.

I'm faster with ABS weak than with ABS default. The brake distance is much shorter.

The only track is Barthurst where I use ABS default because of the downhill section.
Yeah I can definitely see how ABS Weak can be faster. It’s just really hard to get right because the appropriate braking threshold for a given moment is very difficult to find.

This is where topics get messed up as people be talking about different things.

What Im saying has nothing to do if you are faster with weak over default or not. Same as it has nothing to do with if IM Faster weak or default.

The debate is what is faster.

This only determined by whats topping the leaderboards, because however much faster I may be with weak, and however much faster you and others are with weak, what does that mean as far as what's faster when somebody else is faster with Default?

Now if we get somebody to outrun everybody whilst using weak the results are talking.

This is not much of a debate, its entirely based on results not theories or opinions.

I don't think there can be a blanket statement on it.

It's a complicated issue that's prone to change. Whenever PC touches the code, the possibility of which one is "faster" changes, and the context under which is can be deemed faster changes.

As of right now, it seems to me that, without wear on, the gap is more pronounced. Where as when Suzuka was Race C, the gap was not as great. I couldn't match my weak times at Fuji last week without wear, but with wear on, weak was ATROCIOUS. Now however, with wear off, default is faster (almost) certainly. However, once wear is on, things change a little. As noted, PD said they adjusted wear (and we don't know what that actually means).

I tried to race the Huracan yesterday and it was absolutely terrible. I read about the change and gave weak a shot in the race today. Night and Day difference.

I think it's quite unlikely that all the fastest drivers are testing all the settings every time they change. Especially if the difference is slight and beneficial in certain circumstances.

I think the guys at the very top of the stack indeed look for every advantage they can get, they have techniques to get faster times like money shifts people like myself would never consider as I drive a manual car with a custom turbo kit on an engine out of a different car, that type of stuff would blow my ish up and so is beyond unnatural to me. Something Im alway trying to avoid.

I would of figured some may be brousing these boards, seen this thread, and if they haven't tried it out before they might have after seeing this topic get started. Its been a minute already, nobody has posted a time with ABS weak untouchable with default.

You have a good theory, but for that theory to be taken any further it needs supporting evidence. That would be at least one Leaderboard with weak and at the top, that wouldn't prove the theory but sure as heck support it and thus command further looking into

Weak is more for older cars, for those who don't know to play without ABS :)

lul

I personally use weak since it gives a bit more feedback and with it you can brake much faster...

I drove with ABS weak most of last year. When I went to Tokyo region finals, everyone was on ABS default and were faster. I had an average performance there and not blaming the ABS setting for my results, but I have since relearned ABS default to be more competitive.

I feel I should practice and race to as close settings as possible to the FIA championship settings so it is more comfortable when I get there in that environment, if I get there again.

If your racing for fun, do as you please. ABS weak is definitely competitive enough, and teaches you discipline which can only benefit you. I remember I used to drive the F40 with no ABS in GT5 prologue online, wasn't competitive but it was so damn cool

Agree with the "no blanket statement"
Sure, we can generalise but like all things in racing, "it depends"
It depends on the car, the tyre model from latest update, the driving style/skill of the individual, etc

I tried ABS weak when GT Sport first came out because I was stubborn and adamant that I could be faster than ABS default, because leading up to the release of GT Sport I played a lot of Project CARS and was doing well with ABS off. However the braking dynamics between the two are quite different so I had to change back to default. Might give weak another go now in the lead up to FIA series since there have been lots of updates to the tyre model.

I remember I used to drive the F40 with no ABS in GT5 prologue online, wasn't competitive but it was so damn cool
That reminds me of a random GT6 lobby race where we went on Suzuka wet with no ABS. I was using the DFGT at the time and the pedals have almost no tension and after the race my legs were a bit sore from feathering the throttle and positional braking. Worth it though because it was really fun and really close racing.

Everybody is free to their opinions.

As soon as Weak tops the boards or is not falling behind at FiA GTS events let me know....

F40 no assist and zero ABS is the only way to drive it. Same with the Yellow Bird in previous GT games. No assist No ABS let that tail hang out

Yeah I can definitely see how ABS Weak can be faster. It’s just really hard to get right because the appropriate braking threshold for a given moment is very difficult to find.

You need a progressive and hard brake pedal for ABS weak.

I'm faster with ABS weak than with ABS default. The brake distance is much shorter.

The only track is Barthurst where I use ABS default because of the downhill section.

Just wondering how you fair with the top 10 using weak?

As I use the T3 pedals with max braking calibrated to half pedal travel, default allows later braking for me simply because the modulation at half travel isn't as good, and combined when you brake later in any situation, the car becomes much more nervous with weak because you have much less distance to perform the rotation required. Like trying to perform an 'endo' on a BMX in as short a distance as possible....very difficult.

I really would at least like to see Default ABS get replaced by Weak because at the moment we can't really judge how good anyone is at rotating the car after heavy braking, and as this task is much more difficult than acceleration, it really is the most essential thing to be mastered if you want to become a good racing driver in real life.

Back