Is anybody thinking about making the switch

• Thread starter HPT
  • 129 comments

HPT

Loque-1
I've spoken to a lot of people around who have now got GT5, and they are quite disappointed with it - It's fair to say I am a little, and I've been suggesting Forza as an alternative. I only have a 720p xbox, but I have to say I am considering getting a new 1080 one and going over to the dark side. Anyone else feeling this?

I've already been playing Forza 3 for a year and while it has it's good points there are issues as well. Pretty much everyone I know that was hot for Forza before it was released was very disappointed with it and most stopped playing long ago.

Doesn't hurt to have both but there is not much sense in upgrading the xbox that I can see Forza is 720 upscaled to 1080

I bought an Xbox a while ago waiting for GT5, and the only games I own on it are Forza 2 and 3. I really enjoy the Forza series and it is easily the best racer there is on the 360. That being said, personally I don't feel that Forza 3 comes anywhere close to GT in terms of physics or playability. Forza has good physics, and it is a very pretty game (although at times it looks almost cartoony to me) but I honestly don't think it is as good as GT5 and it won't last you nearly as long as GT5 will.

If you're disappointed with GT5, I think it's safe to say you'll be even more disappointed with Forza 3. Again, not saying it's a bad game by any means, but I haven't had any urge to play it in a long, long time.

Parker

Look, I think everyone is a bit disappointed because the game doesn't feature their favourite dream car, or because there are only 200 Premium cars out of 1000, or because you cannot race modificate your car, or adjust the gear-ratios in the fully adjustable gearbox.

Even I wasn't that happy at the beginning, but my attitude changed the more I drive. Yes there are a lot of cars that seem to be copied from GT4, but what convinced me to stick to it is that: you get the chance to drive the cars on new, and good tracks and the physics also improved a lot. In fact I like driving some of the cars from GT4 a lot in GT5 now, which wasn't the case before.

I think a lot of people are just overreacting, be happy with what you got, even it's just a few little things that changed. I had to learn that during my service, and it isn't the end of the world.

Just keep your head up

I am considering going back to Forza 3 again, where else can you drive a Datsun 510 and drop a 100% realistic sounding RB26DETT in it and 18inch deep dish rims and 4 degrees of camber ;)

I'm so cut about GT5 u have no idea. Give Forza 3 a go, I think you will love it. Nothing like buying a v8 that sounds like ummmmmm a real v8 lol. Hard to believe I know coming from GT!

Yeah Forza 3 nothing more realistic than an AWD Ford GT or a 69 Charger AWD or the total inablity to do any such upgrades to a GM product. The drivetrain swaps are so screwed up that all you can do is laugh.

^that being said its fun:lol:(not that GT isnt)
But really Forza is a good alternative to GT.

this might be hard to say but GT5 is a huge disapointment , I am a confessed , obsessed speed freak in reality. I own a gaming store PLayzone interactive and i have been waiting for GT to release for the last 3years , i even bought a Real GtR in that time.

Forza 3 did what GT was supposed to do,U get the cars that u dream of, The damage, The feel of physics that u can only get with gt by using a g27 wheel. im so disapointed , im thinking of booking a flight and going to polyphony to complain.

I learnt long ago that if possible, own any console that has a decent racing game on it, which is why I added a DC in addition to my PS1 for MSR, an Xbox with my PS2 for PGR2 and now, I'll be adding a PS3 to go with my 360 so I can own both FM3 and GT5.

If I end up favouring GT5 in the long run, then so be it, but for me personally, it would have to be seriously compelling taking photomode shots to keep me away from painting my own creations.

HPT
I've spoken to a lot of people around who have now got GT5, and they are quite disappointed with it - It's fair to say I am a little, and I've been suggesting Forza as an alternative. I only have a 720p xbox, but I have to say I am considering getting a new 1080 one and going over to the dark side. Anyone else feeling this?

If you're looking for some genuine advice, you could at least specify what you're disappointed with in GT5.

I too purchased an XBOX 360 for F3, just to kill time(6 years) for GT5 to drop. And now that it has, I'm sorely disappointed. I haven't logged in enough hours in GT Life to discuss physics and settings of cars and such. But..visually the game is looking like any other racer coming out these days. This in all because of their choice of having 800 standard cars which don't even look better than the car models in the latest need for speed hot pursuit series. Yes the premium cars are nice, but they're not spectacular.
I used to hold Kaz and his team up high on an untouchable pedestal. But now they are looking more and more normal than most.

I understand there is a compromise to having 12 premium cars on track at once. We get mediocre tracks and backdrops..thats fine. But jeez, don't add rain/snow if you can't simulate the look of a wet track surface. I wouldn't be so hard on them if I didn't play SBKX with their new "Evolving track", where if it's a wet race(not raining) later on in race a dry line appears on the race line similar to real racing. Same goes for a dry race, the race line gets darker and you get more grip on the race line because of the "laid down" rubber. I won't mention the rain in F1 2010 because it's been mentioned many time already.

Like I stated earlier, I can't comment much on the physics yet. Since I haven't played all the way thru GTLife and modified many different cars. I want to wait for the updates before I get deep into the game. I feel if I play more now, my disappointment will just get worse for the game.

Let me just summarize by saying that I feel as tho we're just playing an poorly updated GT4 not GT5. More like GT4.3 or something. Anyone else agree with me?
They should have called it GT MORLOUGUE.(I dunno what that means lol, sounds funny in my head;P)

I learnt long ago that if possible, own any console that has a decent racing game on it, which is why I added a DC in addition to my PS1 for MSR

Thats one of the best racing games ever made.

Thats one of the best racing games ever made.

I agree and it has the bonus of being one of the few games to include the Astra Coupe, which I now own. The other game I know of - and own - is Sega GT/ GT 2002.

I too purchased an XBOX 360 for F3, just to kill time(6 years) for GT5 to drop.

So you were waiting for an unannounced game on a non existing system before ever playing the preceding title?

I do not like how GT5 drives with the controller so I'll say the best one is the one you can play with a wheel :).:sly:

Not sure how many people OP was talking to but clearly he hasn't been reading the GT5 forums to get the good and the bad from gamers :). I can say that if it weren't for my G27 I'd still be booting up the xbox.

But you also have to consider if you want to play online, do you really want to pay for online service for one game? Plus parts of the game are not accessible without a gold membership(sucks you buy a game full price and can't use all the features without paying for Gold)

After playing both games for hours I can say they are two different flavors. One is built from the ideas of the community while the other is built by the narrow minded vision of one man.

If the game is rubbish on the pad, then no dice. I don't like gaming steering wheels and have no room for one anyway.

Say what you like about FM3, but it's fantastic on the pad.

It(FM3) is, i guess going from wheel to pad in GT5 reveal the steering assist and lack of precision when doing oval races or passing the aggressive AI. Just my opinion.

Say what you like about FM3, but it's fantastic on the pad.

I agree. Don't anticipate getting the PS3/GT5 in the forseeable future. Son has XBox and FM3 came with it. Through most of season 4. Was surprised that many drivers use assists on the leaderboards. Only suggested line for me as I get to know tracks. Already putting together a series with the LMP cars for late January 2011. Toughest part is replicating the arcade mode with some kind of handicap system. Tinkering with rear downforce.

Any ideas would help. Or help with testing pm me.

The reason everyone on the top of certain boards uses assists, is generally because they are using glitched out game exploit cars, that actually require those assists to work at all

Forza 3, to me lost it's touch after a month of gameplay, all the cars handle the same, when I say that I mean that 4wd cars all handle the same, Rear wheel drive all the same, Front wheel drive all the same, and even if they are slightly different you can tune them so that they do in the end.

The one thing I love about GT5 is the driving expereince is simply great, I can't compliment it enough, regardless of what ever other flaws present themselves, I really enjoy driving on GT5, drifting is actually an art, not some noob 5 y/o kid jamming his handbrake on, then mashing the accelerater in any gear, in some garbage car he brought that has a cheapo fast and furious paint on it..... from the terrible storefront whic is choc full of ugly paints, which some other guy goes and rates five stars.... oooh man don't get me started...... any who GT5 is simply "better" at driving

Forza 3, to me lost it's touch after a month of gameplay, all the cars handle the same, when I say that I mean that 4wd cars all handle the same, Rear wheel drive all the same, Front wheel drive all the same, and even if they are slightly different you can tune them so that they do in the end.

The one thing I love about GT5 is the driving expereince is simply great, I can't compliment it enough, regardless of what ever other flaws present themselves, I really enjoy driving on GT5, drifting is actually an art, not some noob 5 y/o kid jamming his handbrake on, then mashing the accelerater in any gear, in some garbage car he brought that has a cheapo fast and furious paint on it..... from the terrible storefront whic is choc full of ugly paints, which some other guy goes and rates five stars.... oooh man don't get me started...... any who GT5 is simply "better" at driving

Have you actually driven FM3?

I too purchased an XBOX 360 for F3, just to kill time(6 years) for GT5 to drop. And now that it has, I'm sorely disappointed. I haven't logged in enough hours in GT Life to discuss physics and settings of cars and such. But..visually the game is looking like any other racer coming out these days. This in all because of their choice of having 800 standard cars which don't even look better than the car models in the latest need for speed hot pursuit series. Yes the premium cars are nice, but they're not spectacular.
I used to hold Kaz and his team up high on an untouchable pedestal. But now they are looking more and more normal than most.

I understand there is a compromise to having 12 premium cars on track at once. We get mediocre tracks and backdrops..thats fine. But jeez, don't add rain/snow if you can't simulate the look of a wet track surface. I wouldn't be so hard on them if I didn't play SBKX with their new "Evolving track", where if it's a wet race(not raining) later on in race a dry line appears on the race line similar to real racing. Same goes for a dry race, the race line gets darker and you get more grip on the race line because of the "laid down" rubber. I won't mention the rain in F1 2010 because it's been mentioned many time already.

Like I stated earlier, I can't comment much on the physics yet. Since I haven't played all the way thru GTLife and modified many different cars. I want to wait for the updates before I get deep into the game. I feel if I play more now, my disappointment will just get worse for the game.

Let me just summarize by saying that I feel as tho we're just playing an poorly updated GT4 not GT5. More like GT4.3 or something. Anyone else agree with me?
They should have called it GT MORLOUGUE.(I dunno what that means lol, sounds funny in my head;P)

The track does appear wet, but not immediately when the rain starts. And when the rain stops the track is still wet for several laps (supposedly a dry line does appear, but I've just been doing LeMans/Nurb on my own in the changing time and weather, so that's not something you're going to notice just running one car around.

FM3 has many flaws, largely the initial 'feel' of the cars with too much grip, but I can categorically say as an almost Veteran Hotlapper/Organised racer/test driver for a tuning team, all cars of the same layout do handle different, some are similarish, some are quite different.

not some noob 5 y/o kid jamming his handbrake on, then mashing the accelerater in any gear, in some garbage car he brought that has a cheapo fast and furious paint on it.....
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you get exactly the same 5 y/o kids in all games, just minus the fast and furious paint job, all jamming the handbrake on and mashing the accelerator..

I'd just be happy you've found your perfect game, I don't know why you feel it necessary to talk a load of rubbish about other games as if you need to somehow keep vindicating your choice as if it makes it more worthwhile..

/rant over..

I just wish people could be more objective and less ridiculous and you'd find you could have some good conversations about a lot of these games, there is good bits in all games (and bad), it's nice to see things progress and see how they feed off each other..

Anyone that has not tried Forza 3 is truly missing out on one of the best simulation racing games out there. I have been a long time GT fan but Forza just has everything I want from a simulation game. Its not perfect but everything it has works very well. The best news about Forza 3 is that you wont have to worry if a vehicle is premium or standard. They are ALL premium. :)

I have played Forza 2 and 3 a lot. Both are good games no doubt but Forza 3 is so far off the mark on the performance of many of the cars it is very frustrating add to that the AWD swaps messing up the PI ratings and pretty much all of the GT class race cars being a non factor it is not that great.

One of the things I love about GT is that there are lots and lots of cars that can be made to be competive in any type of class you can think of whereas in Forza there is only a few cars that can really compete in each class.

True Forza3 does have cockpit view on all the cars, they do have the ability to do some really cool paint jobs or buy them and they have some nice rim options.

The special events in GT5 are much cooler than anything in Forza Career mode and there is so much more variety of things to do in GT than Forza it is a no brainer as to which wins in offline mode.

In online mode imo GT has some really cool options that do not exist in Forza and more on the way. The shuffle mode races are really good to get out and have fun. The races can be competive even when some of the drivers are better than others, the slow car boost option also is a way to make races more fun with different levels of drivers and cars. You can also tune in GT5 lobbies and you can create a public lobby both of which were in Forza 2 but removed under great protest of the fans in Forza 3.

The one thing that is sorely lacking right now in online GT5 is an invite to race option. The other is prize money for online races. Both of these features will hopefully be added soon as well as more options for setting up races.

So at this point I would say career mode GT5 wins by a mile. Online mode GT is a bit behind Forza but has many features which are better than what is in Forza already and will continue to improve over the next couple of months. Soon GT5 will blow Forza out of the water in every category other than Pimping your ride.

imo GT5 is the better game and is much more fun to drive than Forza 3.

More fun to drive despite the fact when I just played it, approaching a corner at 70 feels more like 35?

I'm going to have to get used to GT's awful representation of speed again if I'm to gel with it, because I just couldn't get my head around and left in frustration.

Back