Is F1 2002 worth buying?

• Thread starter F1man
  • 12 comments
If its the version made by EA dont buy it. All their simulation (I use this term loosely) racing games handle like crap. Wait for the version released by sony.

Originally posted by Race Idiot
If its the version made by EA dont buy it. All their simulation (I use this term loosely) racing games handle like crap. Wait for the version released by sony.

I actually bought the Liverpool Studios/Sony Formula One 2002 game yesterday (40% for the game, 60% for the DVD of the 2001 season).

The game's okay - I run the GT Force wheel, and the cars are very driveable without traction control and ABS. It looks a bit more polished than last year's version, but the cars actually feel connected to the steering wheel, so the control's FAR better than that floaty rubbish EA serve up. AI seems pretty good, still aggressive but not the rammers they were last year.

A nice touch with the game is the ability to make in-car adjustments - stuff like traction control, brake balance, recalling the last pit communication, can all be called up via using combinations of buttons on the wheel. They've tailored button set-ups for this for the DS2, GT Force, Driving Force, Speedster 2 and Momo wheels, so they've been pretty thorough.

Set-up options on the car are probably a good balance between basic and realistic - certainly no fiddling through obscure stuff you don't understand like Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series.

To conclude - if you don't have a decent PC to run Grand Prix 3 or 4, this is the F1 game you'd be buying - plus you get the DVD.

I'll play this for a while, but I'll probably go back and run my 555 Subaru cars in GP3.

Hey, the Sony F1 2002 sounds pretty hot. And I've come to respect Vat's opinion ...

I still need to get some good race games for my computer though.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Hey, the Sony F1 2002 sounds pretty hot. And I've come to respect Vat's opinion ...

I still need to get some good race games for my computer though.
Thinking of the spec machinery you're probably running, Loud, and knowing you have access to a GT Force, I'd be inclined to suggest a cheap copy of GP3, or GP4, over the new Sony F1 game.

i agree ea is ****, but f1 2002 actually isnt half bad. For pc that is. for ps2 it might be different. anyway, i just got gp4 and havent played it yet, but i have an idea it should be a little better for me. I have played the f1 2002 demo for pc and the physics are really good and graphics are great.

IMO the comparison of the 2 games:

they both have great graphics and physics. gp4 needs a pretty good computer to get decent framerates with eyecandy though. f1 2002 might actually have better physics this time though because it is greatly improved. gp4 is the better game for the enthusiast as it really gets you into the race experience and ther is ace ai. ai makes a racing game. gt3 has **** ai and therefor it is only a hotlapper. racing the ai is a joke. f1 2002 has a lesser ai, and is touted as a good hotlapper, not much else.

again this is for pc. not sure how ps2 f1 2002 is, or if gp4 is even on it.

GP4 is PC and XBox only.

I've generally been pretty disappointed with EA's racing efforts - it's not so bad on the PC as you can set the wheel up heavier through the Logitech Wingman software, but on the PS2 it feels like the old 'Final Lap' arcade games.

GP4 is on Xbox? I never heard anything about Xbox release...

Ah, i saw the Sony version in the shops, but decided not to buy it.

Back