Is Gran Turismo Sport Already Dead?

• Thread starter Famine
  • 96 comments
I would hope they would make GTS offline but who knows what will happen. I hope for the skae of those who bought the game they will make it offline.

Maybe not putting it in the PS+ Collection while beeing one of the most sold PS4-titles and also never made it available as free ps+ game was already a sign it will be left behind quickly.

IMO it's mandatory for PD to release a patch to turn it offline, correct me if I'm wrong but it's sold as a regular game not as a service.
Read the terms and conditions. Like most games and software, PD/Sony own it, you pay for the license to use it. There's usually some clause that let's them cease service whenever they want. Most games are sold as services.

Sucks for leagues in particular.

I'm fine with this, as I skipped Sport entirely anyway. Let the game die off, and put full focus on improving and evolving GT7 for the months and years to come.
The focus is solely on GT7, it has been since February 2020, and that's fine, Sport has had its time. It is still currently a great game to buy for about $9, just to drive a few hundred cars around a lot of tracks in time trials.
It's okay if they turn off the multiplayer setvers this year, that's expected. If they don't release a final update to take away the mandatory connection for everything else, all players will only ever have access to eight cars in arcade modes, no saving, and no GT League, Circuit Experience, Driving School or Mission Challenges, which would not be okay, that would suck.

Last edited:
The big difference with Sport is that it started (and still is) an online-focused game. I'm not talking about having to be online for.....reasons.....like GT7. But legitimately it is focused on racing others online, it's been that way from the start.

Hopefully for fans of Sport they make it playable offline, and I think they will in some form

I hope they let the MP servers in GTS run for 1 year or something like this.
Then they need to bring an offline-patch to GT Sport At the moment i get an error message.

I have sent my GT7 copy back to amazon and keep on playing GTS in multiplayer.

I hope they let the MP servers in GTS run for 1 year or something like this.
Then they need to bring an offline-patch to GT Sport At the moment i get an error message.

I have sent my GT7 copy back to amazon and keep on playing GTS in multiplayer.
I doubt they will be up that long. It will probably be a few months at most

It's okay if they turn off the multiplayer setvers this year, that's expected. If they don't release a final update to take away the mandatory connection for everything else, all players will only ever have access to eight cars in arcade modes, no saving, and no GT League, Circuit Experience, Driving School or Mission Challenges, which would not be okay, that would suck.

It would suck if they disabled online without fixing the private lobbies in GT7.

Right now GT7 lobbies are not all that good and they took away nearly all the features. This has been pretty hard on people who run league races. The majority of the leagues have stayed on GTS due to this problem.

I hope the community can gripe enough to PD to have them fix it like they fixed the money making issue.

It would suck if they disabled online without fixing the private lobbies in GT7.

Right now GT7 lobbies are not all that good and they took away nearly all the features. This has been pretty hard on people who run league races. The majority of the leagues have stayed on GTS due to this problem.

I hope the community can gripe enough to PD to have them fix it like they fixed the money making issue.
Before the last apology, just after the game was released, Kaz talked about lobbies and said they were going to add features and fix some things. I hope so, going out to change track and parameters is such a nuisance. And hopefully they add more than Sport had. GT6 had more options

Either port everything that we have and progress status from GTS to GT7 or allow us to continue playing it offline...

This would be the equivalent of buying the book and years later the author yanks the books from us whether we like it or not...

I bought the book, it needs to stay in my library and I need to be able to read it at any given moment...

I didn't buy a self destruct book...

Future GT7 updates will improve online and transition the game to a service based rather than a past standalone games. GTS will probably just cease to work

For me, has been for a while. Since new content stopped arriving really.
Especially as online racing doesn't really appeal.
I was hoping GT7 would re-ignite interest, but the response has been mixed so I will be waiting. If some interesting older cars come along in updates I will think again.

I'm new to GT (besides GT2 on PS1 :) and SPORT seemed like great title to learn driving and challenge with other players. This game looks very solid, there is no need for any additional car updates or so, just please keep the game playable 💯 the one way or another. At least please allow new players to have this experience.

Last edited:
It's wild that they're dropping support so fast. I can't imagine that it takes a whole lot of work for someone to throw together some races for the week, so not doing it seems like a considered decision.

That they would do it even with the negative PR surrounding GT7 at the moment is ballsy. I can't see many people viewing this favourably, but it's another thing for people to latch onto as a potential negative for a very online-centric game like GT7. They could get a lot of free goodwill by simply announcing that they're going to keep supporting GTS by leaving it online and giving it weekly races for the next year or so.

Imagine if they said "We understand that our players love all our games, even the older ones, and while the servers and support will have to end one day we don't want to rush towards that time. There's plenty of time to play your favourite Gran Turismo, be that Sport or 7." That'd look great for them.

Gotta like how consistent PD are when it comes to a GT game's support tapering off. Can use them as a yardstick for measuring things with that kind of consistency. This reminds me of Project CARS 2 when the last DLC drops, so do the bugfixes!

An update to make it work offline would be a nice touch for those who still haven't, can't or don't want to move into GT7.
That would require months of development work and core changes to the game’s backend systems, most notably how saving progress functions. I’m sure it can technically be done, but is there enough return on investment from Polyphony to work on that vs supporting GT7?

-

Players logging into Gran Turismo Sport this week will find that, for the second week in a row, there’s no update to the game’s Daily Races. Up until March 14, these changed every Monday like clockwork, but the same set of three races has now been available for two weeks solid.

This is the latest, and most significant, indication that GT Sport is now firmly in the archives as far as Polyphony Digital is concerned — although it has yet to be officially announced by either the studio or Sony.
I find this interesting, because it implies that Daily Races were set up by hand. That’s not unusual in and of itself, but I wonder if Polyphony explored automated event generation at any point.

For example, DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 and DiRT Rally 2.0 are no longer actively being worked on by dev teams, yet each gets new events every day thanks to an automated event generator that builds challenges on the fly.

Each of these games did use hand-crafted events up until the end of the post-launch development cycle, and the learnings from those (ie: which events were most popular) would then inform the automated generator on what to make in the future.

Last edited:
That would require months of development work and core changes to the game’s backend systems, most notably how saving progress functions.
I love how you just erased any preconceived notions that PD could or would make GT Sport offline. cheers

Before the last apology, just after the game was released, Kaz talked about lobbies and said they were going to add features and fix some things. I hope so, going out to change track and parameters is such a nuisance. And hopefully they add more than Sport had. GT6 had more options

You are correct. I remember how much we had in GT6 in private lobbies. We had all kinds of series we could do for leagues.

I too hope they actually bring us the features we lost.

I just moved GTS to my external drive which tells me I am unlikely to play it, I much prefer it to GT7 but I am just delaying the inevitable by staying with GTS in terms of collecting credits, finishing licenses and getting used to the crappy GT7 physics.

That would require months of development work and core changes to the game’s backend systems, most notably how saving progress functions. I’m sure it can technically be done, but is there enough return on investment from Polyphony to work on that vs supporting GT7?

-

I find this interesting, because it implies that Daily Races were set up by hand. That’s not unusual in and of itself, but I wonder if Polyphony explored automated event generation at any point.

For example, DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 and DiRT Rally 2.0 are no longer actively being worked on by dev teams, yet each gets new events every day thanks to an automated event generator that builds challenges on the fly.

Each of these games did use hand-crafted events up until the end of the post-launch development cycle, and the learnings from those (ie: which events were most popular) would then inform the automated generator on what to make in the future.
They could merge GTS and GT7 servers and just add some small amount of work to maintain two games. If done right there would be even prossibility to play together GTS and GT7 players on downloadable tracks. Dreams... just because you know, not everyone have money for a new game. Personally I probably will play GT7 in about a year or so.

Last edited:
Back