Is GT Sport a sort of prologue before a GT7?

I think some of you guys have actually played GT5p and know what kind of a barebones demonstrator that is. I got it for free at goodwill and even I was surprised at how little content there was. I dont think it was ever sold for full price?

GTS at the very least, was a full priced game, whether you think that it was worth the price at release or even now is up to you.

I also think that people shouldnt try to pigeonhole something for something it is not.

if you think GT5/6 deserve to be called "full GT releases" due to the 1,000+ cars and the huge track list then of course GT Sport is going to look poor in comparison.

As said by PD they think GTS is the foundation for what Gran Turismo is for the next few generations, if not decade?

I look at GTS as a temporary thing. I cant predict what this game will be like in 2yrs time and how PD killing it will affect its 'offline mode' however I just try to enjoy what it is for the very small price I paid for the next 18 months if not more.

Right now GTS is something like $15 usd where I am... it is worth that easily. It is worth that $1.50 a month for 15 months of ongoing support.

I know people get upset when they think their $20 isnt getting stretched far.

At this point I beleive that PD cant be making any money at $15 a copy.

I'm about to look for PCars2 which is about $40 usd for the Limited edition just as a punt. I treat these things as a gamble. PD is paying out every month.

Considering GTS already gave me almost 300 hours of super fun and thrilling races, it is worth every cent I paid for it in pre-order, in other words, full retail price and still easily worth every cent!

I don't find GT Sport to be a prologue at all.

It's a reboot of the series from the ground up to be multiplayer-focused. Almost everything is headed to e-sports, and has been for at least five years. Polyphony is just catching up but what they've accomplished with GT Sport is pretty great.
I fail to see how not including content that has been in every iteration of the series thus far under the guise of a "bold, new direction for the series" is any kind of accomplishment.
A full GT7 should have included exactly everything Sport currently has, plus the things people generally expect from a GT release, ie a diverse car roster and a career mode that flows naturally and isn't slapped on as afterthought.
I could somewhat understand your point if Sport offered anything genuinely fresh to the series, but it really didn't. We've already had online multiplayer gameplay in the previous two installments (three if you count GT4's online version) and the whole esports/FIA partnership schtick sounds impressive on paper, but when it comes down to it, very few people I've met are genuinely interested. No, the "bold, groundbreaking new approach" that sets Sport apart from the previous installments is not some amazing new feature or gameplay mechanic, but the lack of content that we expect from a full GT release.
Imagine if McDonalds released a new Big Mac that consisted of a finely baked artisan bun, with high grade lettuce in between, and no beef or any other ingredients we'd expect from a burger. This is what Polyphony tried (and failed) to do with GT Sport.

I just hope this game is future proof lol. No more creating assest all over again please. There is always room for improvement. I just hope they have some high res textures and other gfx options for PS5. Concentrate on adding content and hopefully big GT mode.

I think some of you guys have actually played GT5p and know what kind of a barebones demonstrator that is. I got it for free at goodwill and even I was surprised at how little content there was. I dont think it was ever sold for full price?

How did you get it from goodwill if nobody bought it for full price? Magic? :P

People did buy it for full price, and for the most part weren't that impressed at the value they received. Especially Spec I. I got Spec III for $10, and thought it pretty good at that price. Half a dozen tracks and ~70 cars for ten bucks (and an at the time rare online mode) was just fine for me. I got my money's worth and then some.

prologue
ˈprəʊlɒɡ/
noun
  1. a separate introductory section of a literary, dramatic, or musical work.
    "the suppressed prologue to Women in Love"
    synonyms: introduction, foreword, preface, preamble, prelude, preliminary
Dont think this is a prologue because it offers a lot more than a 'taste of whats to come. GTS is an e-sport focused game, big on multiplayer, leaving out most of the single player assets of the number games. GTS was never meant to be a number game in the end. No one would spend 4 years developing an introductory look at a game.

I fail to see how not including content that has been in every iteration of the series thus far under the guise of a "bold, new direction for the series" is any kind of accomplishment..
  • First off, you vote with your wallet if you or anyone else preordered with certain expectations, you are part of the problem that enables game publishers to underdeliver if you preorder you are part of the problem.
  • Secondly, the marketing material for GTS specifically said they were rebooting the series to focus on online. Go dig up the self-deprecating commercials that admit the game was car pokėmon and they burned it all down.
  • Your post just feeds into this belief that content can be copied and pasted between iterations of a game, even between console generations. That ain’t how it works. A lot of a title has to be rebuilt from scratch for the new architecture of a new console. I just read bitterness that the gameplay direction has been changed, as the common refrain from folks who really liked the empty shell of a career mode from previous iterations.
  • All this without even addressing that the basic gameplay loop of the car collecting A-spec mode has been stale since GT4

I been trying to warn people for more than a year, it was pretty much going to be a over glorified prologue. With the exception of the transition from GT5 to GT6 its always been some sort of test bed in between game like, prologue, concept, one car playable demo, HD, ect,..ect. If you been playing the GT series since GT1 like I have and have been paying attention its very easy to see the reoccurring habit, they have of doing some sort of in between filler game. Honestly I feel like the reason they killed GT6 the way they did, was because they fooled enough people into buying sport, ultimately so they herd she-eople off the free online play platform (PS3). To get more people to pay for online pay because they are getting greedy just like microsoft. End of the day remember they have a business to run, its not about what we want or the over all quality of the game, its about what generates money.

No its not a prologue. I think most of the people having problems with GTS content just dont like or cant handle clean online racing. GTS has aimet for that and its brilliant. I havent played much anything but online since early GT5 anyways. GTS is very much following the trend of current online games. Solid foundation where to build several seasons.

I think game will keep growing for free. As PDI is 1st party developer very close to Sony, I wouldnt be surpriced if it translates straight to next gen console eventually - might even do so as cross buy. I think business wise GTS main goal is to sell consoles and PS Plus.

I think they release the next GT on both PS4 and PS5 with shared online play.

I expect we are 1.5-2.5 years out.

career mode that flows naturally and isn't slapped on as afterthought.

By "flow" you mean grinding money for elligible car to advance to next league? Thats pretty much is what earlier "full" GT games had for a career. Pretty sure they didnt want to do that as it would weaken the online side too much.

At this point I cant quite see anything major other than amount of cars and tracks missing from "full" gt games. That and single player seasonals - which were great at their best. Would love to get those back. Remember THAT LeMans seasonal event anyone? :cheers:

What comes to "amount" at these "full" gt games - mostly crappy cars from earlier gt iterations. I rather take it slow and keep the quality top notch.

• First off, you vote with your wallet if you or anyone else preordered with certain expectations, you are part of the problem that enables game publishers to underdeliver if you preorder you are part of the problem.

Agree with this statement, but people also vote with their play time, and if huge numbers of preorders no longer play the game that’s a bigger problem. It shows disappointment, boredom and ongoing lack of interest in the game’s direction. Or perhaps many people never watched those ‘burn it all down’ videos.

A truly successful game should at least retain its preorder user base and collect new long term users along the way.

Agree with this statement, but people also vote with their play time, and if huge numbers of preorders no longer play the game that’s a bigger problem. It shows disappointment, boredom and ongoing lack of interest in the game’s direction. Or perhaps many people never watched those ‘burn it all down’ videos.

A truly successful game should at least retain its preorder user base and collect new long term users along the way.

You have seen numbers somewhere of how much players gts has? Just curious.

I think the most disappointed and loudest of the buyers are the preorders who assumed GTS would be GT7..

I for one have paid alot for gts (Collector's edition + T-GT) and im happy with it..

You have seen numbers somewhere of how much players gts has? Just curious.

I think the most disappointed and loudest of the buyers are the preorders who assumed GTS would be GT7..

I for one have paid alot for gts (Collector's edition + T-GT) and im happy with it..

I said ‘if’.

I have no idea how many players are playing GTS. My statement applies to all games not just GTS.

Glad you’re enjoying GTS and I won’t attempt to take that away. And I never assumed GTS was going to be GT7, but we were told nothing would be removed from past games and only more would be added. Still waiting..

Among many other features of GT6, my favorite mode was taken away (course maker), so if you don’t mind I’m feeling a little left out in the cold right now. Pick-up racing against complete strangers is not for me.

Believe what you want... My bet is PS5 releases by 2020 and a “new” GT will be a release title with more than double the cars and tracks.

I'm convinced that Poly is working on a new game engine for GT7 and GTSport is its last game using the "GT5 engine". This job position was published in 2015. The 2017 English translation is the same that in Japanese.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/974/

Physics Engine Development Engineer

・Development of a rigid body simulator
・Development of an elastic body simulator
・Development of a fluid body simulator
・Development of a rag doll simulator
・Development of other physics simulators

This one too:
Game Engine Development Engineer

・Implementation of race rules and regulations
・Implementation of Online racing features
・Design of the framework for the user interface/scripts
・Design of peripheral features such as replays
・Making proposals/giving advice in planning

They played it safe with GTSport: no weather conditions (at the moment), no dynamic TOD. GTSport is a beautiful game but there is none of these bullet points in the game.

Back