Is GT Sport a wrong choice? FM vs GT war issue

Poland
Poland
There is lot of negative opinions about GT Sport in the internet, like "it's unfinished game" etc. and obviously famous "FORZA IS BETTER". The number of these opinions is overwhelming so sometimes I wonder if GT Sport is a wrong choice. I don't have an Xbox, I wanted to choose PS4 first, not mainly for GT Sport, I bought it by the way to check it beacuse I am Gran Turismo fan since 2013. Forza 7 looks promising but now I don't have money and parents permission to get Xbox One. I wasn't playing every day anyway. I have a PS4 since 20,12,2017 and got only about 90 hours in GT Sport beacuse I preferred to waste my time in online games like Rocket League, Battlefield or Call of Duty. And it wasn't like that I was never bored of GTS. I had boredom moments lot of times, no motivation to play singleplayer content and arcade mode gets boring fast. Now I'm going to come back to GTS again, I enjoy that game when I play other modes more than arcade modes, but everytime I ask about how the game is, there is more mixed, negative or "FORZA IS BETTER" opinions than positive. What's your opinion about GT Sport? Is it in your opinion still a good and enjoyable game despite that "FORZA IS BETTER"?

By the way there is a Metacritic user score of both games. GT Sport 6,0 and FM7 X1 5.9, PC version 4.1

Attachments

• gt sport vs forza 7 user score.png
    gt sport vs forza 7 user score.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
It depends entirely on what you’re looking for in a game.

And I wouldn’t pay any attention to any GT vs FM war, because chances are that at least 90% of the people involved doesn’t play both games, so they have no idea what they are arguing about.

And in any case it’s a pointless war.

Just a good old xbox/ps argument. Fanboys on both sides. Never played fm7, can't say nothing on that. I still like GTS but limit myself to scheduled league racing nowadays. Just bored with weekly racing. Both games will have their good point and bad.

Haven't played FM, I did have a go on a friends Forza Horizon before I'd tried GTSport, it looks good and sounds good, so does GTS, a new copy of GTSport for £15 was enough to sway me though.
(The physics in both titles seem very similar.)

I love GT Sport. Haven't played Forza, can't comment on that. But GT Sport is fun with a proper wheel. I use Logitech G29 and am pretty happy with price / performance. I didn't even try it with a controller.

FM is a bit too "arcade" like all driving games on Xbox. If you want realistic driving its GTS. Admittedly, GTS may seem a bit smaller than previous installments of Gran Turismo, however by 5 I think the game was getting a little bit padded out with events not traditionally included in the roster. Its a new game now so I suppose the next installment should be more developed. Getting caught up in what others think is a bit illogical surely, it should be down to the games you like to play? I haven't even tried it with my wheel yet...I can play reasonably well with controller for once. That's a measure of a good game.

I've been a GT fan since the beginning, and imo every release has been better than the one before (except of course Prologue). So, when GTSport came out, I was pretty excited and had certain expectations too.

GTSport is almost an entirely different concept tho. Originally it was planned on being an online player-vs-player game. There was no single player/career mode, and that is the whole game to me. I couldn't care less about racing against other players. A lot of players complained, so PD threw together some career mode content. Thus, the complaints about the game being "unfinished". From PD perspective, GTS is complete (because its all about online) with some added single player content. For people like me tho, it is completely the opposite. A very partially finished single player game with a polished online experience.

I haven't done the online thing, and when I tried it, the game tells me I need Playstation Plus for $60 a year or $10 a month. No. No. and No. So between FM and GTS, having never played FM, I would say FM wins. Except of course buying another console. If you can do that, great. But if I'm not throwing out $60 to race, I'm certainly not buying a whole new console.

Bottom line: As soon as I finish 100% career mode, I'm putting this game on the shelf and getting Project Cars 2. From what I read, it sounds like PC2 is exactly what I was expecting from GTS. Expect to see me vanish from GTS forums in a few weeks. I'll be on PC2 from then on.

I've been a GT fan since the beginning, and imo every release has been better than the one before (except of course Prologue). So, when GTSport came out, I was pretty excited and had certain expectations too.

GTSport is almost an entirely different concept tho. Originally it was planned on being an online player-vs-player game. There was no single player/career mode, and that is the whole game to me. I couldn't care less about racing against other players. A lot of players complained, so PD threw together some career mode content. Thus, the complaints about the game being "unfinished". From PD perspective, GTS is complete (because its all about online) with some added single player content. For people like me tho, it is completely the opposite. A very partially finished single player game with a polished online experience.

I haven't done the online thing, and when I tried it, the game tells me I need Playstation Plus for $60 a year or $10 a month. No. No. and No. So between FM and GTS, having never played FM, I would say FM wins. Except of course buying another console. If you can do that, great. But if I'm not throwing out $60 to race, I'm certainly not buying a whole new console.

Bottom line: As soon as I finish 100% career mode, I'm putting this game on the shelf and getting Project Cars 2. From what I read, it sounds like PC2 is exactly what I was expecting from GTS. Expect to see me vanish from GTS forums in a few weeks. I'll be on PC2 from then on.

I'm sure that you need to purchase a subscription for XBox (Xbox Gold if I remember) to take part in their online multiplayer games.

I wonder if GT Sport is a wrong choice.
Do you enjoy the game? If yes, no. If no, yes.

That's pretty much all that needs to be said. It doesn't matter if other people enjoy another game more or not.

Both consoles require you to buy an online subscription to play online multiplayer, so the "online thing" is the same whether it's GTS, FM7 or PC2.

It's not a "war": there's just people unhealthily invested in their preferred choice, and need to justify it as the "right" one.

On the sim/arcade spectrum (if you care about that sort of thing), GTS and FM7 are practically the same: they're both far beyond something like NFS or the Crew, but just as far away from Assetto Corsa or rFactor on the other side. Both have strengths and weaknesses over the other in terms of physics. GT has much better wheel implementation too.

FM7 has a frankly unapproachable car list, far better than anything else this generation. In fact, given the general level of quality, I'd call it the best one in the genre, period. Its track list is also pretty good, though PCARS2 beats all competition in that front. That game also has pretty awesome weather effects, and is certainly more committed to recreating actual motorsports than either FM7 or GTS.

If you like online racing, GTS' simple hop-in-and-run approach is hard to beat. There are issues (namely, only the three races per week), but it beats the carnage of FM7's online modes, and the scattered nature of PCARS2's. And as others have said, you need to pay to play online for all of them these days (though only GTS loses the majority of its functionality if there is no internet connection).

Basically, they all have strengths. I'd say they all complement one another, which is why I try to play them all. Just need to find more time in the day...

Also, in an age where "rating bombing" is a thing, I wouldn't put any weight at all in user reviews on Metacritic (or any site where there's no real barrier for people to pop on and throw a 0 or 10 at anything).

Do you enjoy the game? If yes, no. If no, yes.

That's pretty much all that needs to be said. It doesn't matter if other people enjoy another game more or not.

Both consoles require you to buy an online subscription to play online multiplayer, so the "online thing" is the same whether it's GTS, FM7 or PC2.

Does PC2 require a subscription also?

Well, I'd like to test that FM game, but honestly I don't care that much, Gran Turismo and PlayStation are my friends, for too long time, to go for a "divorce" !
We have kids, too, I'm an old school ( in fact, I'm just old :) )

There is nothing wrong with liking all the current sims as each have their strong points.
  • Forza is a strong game for the casual audience despite its weaknesses as a sim. It is the game that effectively continues the CaRPG sub-genre that was set by GT.
  • GTS is trying to balance being a hardcore FIA eSports title as well as retaining its more traditional elements for more casual players. It does the most to cover the middle ground between simulation and arcade.
  • PC2 is without a doubt the strongest sim out of the big 3 despite being a weak game. Those who are absolutely serious about racing will invest the most in PC2.

Those that have an unhealthy loyalty to just one game on either side and feel they need to show their objective bias are only making themselves look silly.

Last edited:
FM was my go to racing game for nearly a decade up until FM7 came out, I skipped that one and switched to GTS and I don’t regret it one bit.

It was great on Xbox 360, but as soon as it came to Xbox One it started going down hill. By the time I left the series the game was scatterbrained like GT was during the PS3 era. Ironically I quit GT back then and switched to Forza at that time, now many years later I am back with GT. Funny how things work out.

I play FM7 in PC and GTS. Booth are good games, at it's own way. In the end, my personal preference goes to GTS. The FIA partnership with GT and PD, I believe, is more about vision than game quality. The fact is that PD is doing a good job in FIA GT Championship. Let's see the final round in Monaco in some days...

Last edited:
Well, I'd like to test that FM game, but honestly I don't care that much, Gran Turismo and PlayStation are my friends, for too long time, to go for a "divorce" !
We have kids, too, I'm an old school ( in fact, I'm just old :) )

:lol:

Me too, I tried by flirting with AC on PC, it is beautiful, but the list of options is mind boggling for an old man like me 👍

Super GT sums it up pretty well in this 28 minute clip.

I watched it 2 months ago when he made the video so from what I remember basically if you’re into more CaRPG then your better bet is Forza. If you like to use a wheel and/or are more into motorsport, then GT is your best bet.

Hope no one is offended by my opinion (I'm probably wrong anyways), but I think GT is stuck in a bad middle ground position. Forza is much better as an arcade racer imo with things you'd want from an arcade racer such as better graphics (different people will have different opinions on this), better car customization, large car list, easier drifting etc. There is even an open world option if that's your thing. When it comes to sim racing Project Cars 2 is a much better game imo with much better physics, dynamic weather, day and night cycle, car classes that make sense (Including multiclass racing) and a decent damage system. A lot of these are features we have been patiently waiting for inclusion in GT sport. As a fan of GT, I really hope the next game delivers, especially as the competition has gotten really good.

FM7 has a frankly unapproachable car list, far better than anything else this generation. In fact, given the general level of quality, I'd call it the best one in the genre, period.

This is why I was so happy to learn that PD had outsourced the modeling of the Honda S660. The partisan approach PD takes to this game is admirable, but mistaken. They need to hire Indian or Chinese design studios who will bang these cars out for the IT counterpart of sweatshop wages. Spending 6 months on a single car is not sustainable.

There is lot of negative opinions about GT Sport in the internet, like "it's unfinished game" etc. and obviously famous "FORZA IS BETTER". The number of these opinions is overwhelming so sometimes I wonder if GT Sport is a wrong choice. I don't have an Xbox, I wanted to choose PS4 first, not mainly for GT Sport, I bought it by the way to check it beacuse I am Gran Turismo fan since 2013. Forza 7 looks promising but now I don't have money and parents permission to get Xbox One. I wasn't playing every day anyway. I have a PS4 since 20,12,2017 and got only about 90 hours in GT Sport beacuse I preferred to waste my time in online games like Rocket League, Battlefield or Call of Duty. And it wasn't like that I was never bored of GTS. I had boredom moments lot of times, no motivation to play singleplayer content and arcade mode gets boring fast. Now I'm going to come back to GTS again, I enjoy that game when I play other modes more than arcade modes, but everytime I ask about how the game is, there is more mixed, negative or "FORZA IS BETTER" opinions than positive. What's your opinion about GT Sport? Is it in your opinion still a good and enjoyable game despite that "FORZA IS BETTER"?

By the way there is a Metacritic user score of both games. GT Sport 6,0 and FM7 X1 5.9, PC version 4.1
It doesn't matter if Forza is better or not if you only have a PS4.

I'll see your "FORZA IS BETTER" and raise you "GT is a sim, Forza is arcade."

PD adding more single player content after fan feedback and T10 trying to improve it's on-line racing speaks volumes about both games.

I've never played FM7 but all the things I've seen about it look really good.
I've been a GT player since the game was first introduced and I was and still am disappointed to see the steps backwards GTS took compared to other games and even their own past GT titles.
It still amazes me how they took so much content out of this title and yet people seem to be so happy with a lot less.

I really like how the weather looks in FM7

images.jpg
images-1.jpg

Back