Is GT Sport Actually GT7? Kaz Himself Responds (Video)

I just jumped into this topic and watched the interview a few moments ago. My thought and speculation is: could the new GT Sport, at launch, possibly be the foundation of an ever evolving game? With the new age of DLC, cars, tracks, features, and even specific sections of the game could be included or built in later. I find it hard to believe that GTSport with it's small list of cars and tracks will be the finished product.

I just jumped into this topic and watched the interview a few moments ago. My thought and speculation is: could the new GT Sport, at launch, possibly be the foundation of an ever evolving game? With the new age of DLC, cars, tracks, features, and even specific sections of the game could be included or built in later. I find it hard to believe that GTSport with it's small list of cars and tracks will be the finished product.
It's quite possible and, I'd say, fairly likely; good point. Perhaps this puts the "GT Sport is a service" comment into a broader context.

I do however detest multi-gigabyte downloads for game updates, despite my continuing to be amazed at how quickly they come down...

There's a lot of people that dont quite realize how much they gain satisfaction from carrot-on-a-stick systems in games, too. It is definitely *the* most successful game design tactic to keep players playing your game, though. Especially in the modern era.
And I'm guessing there are also a lot of people like me who are the opposite. I spent less time on each successive GT but I have probably spent more time playing iRacing than every other game I have ever played combined.

I can't remember how many extra subscribers took up iRacing between my one month free subscription between GT5P and GT5 coming out. Whilst GT5 sold 10,000,000 copies. Was it 7,000 or 17,000? I can't remember. It wasn't a lot though.

Unless this game gets a big GT-Mode update post release I don't see it selling all that well.

My thought and speculation is: could the new GT Sport, at launch, possibly be the foundation of an ever evolving game?

100% my expectation.
I also believe the evolution will extend to separate "titles" with the same architecture
i.e GT:Touring, to stay true to the GranTursmo (Grand Touring) classes of cas and style of game-play
whereas GT:Sport is about racing

Firstly, I didn't ask a question.

Secondly, Kaz is talking complete rubbish in that section. GT1 and GT3 were considerably shorter games than either GT5 or GT6. And it's absolutely still possible to make and sell games that have hundreds of hours of gameplay. GTA V. The Witcher 3. MGS V. Fallout 4. And so on.

Even if he wants to make a shorter game (which is a valid choice, but not for the reasons he gives), it's still totally possible to build something involving the core concepts and gameplay that the early stages of old GT games had. You know, if the designer wants to. Kaz obviously doesn't want to, but he'd rather pussy foot around excuses than come out and say "that's not the game I want to make any more".
Sorry, was a misunderstanding.

I do not have to play those game.
But, I know they have a lot of offline content.

I understand that the GT is Reduce element, such as a sandbox.
Because is the possibility of the first failure for beginners.
I think Kaz is hope "beginner wants to play a long game."

Sounds likely as every time we heard how many cars would be in the game he only said by launch. Which to me sounds like there will be more cars than just a few wrapped inside a paid DLC.

Sounds likely as every time we heard how many cars would be in the game he only said by launch. Which to me sounds like there will be more cars than just a few wrapped inside a paid DLC.

We know that there's more to come out of the VGT program, so that may be all that it is.

I was about to mention that, yeah. Highly doubt all we get is more fantasy VGTs in a FIA eSports focused game.. @Neomone

I was about to mention that, yeah. Highly doubt all we get is more fantasy VGTs in a FIA eSports focused game.. @Neomone

People doubted an FIA eSports focused game would craft multiple fantasy classes and accompanying fantasy cars to fill them, too. It's entirely possible future DLC follows that precedent: heck, I'd say it's more likely than expanding into real-world series.

True, but then having significant amounts of fantasy VGTs in an FIA eSports focused game is weird to start with. Who knows what might happen?

Still, I expect at the least there to be a few marketing deals for normal cars, like the M4 in GT6 was. It fits with the advertising focus that Polyphony seems to be going for.

7HO
And I'm guessing there are also a lot of people like me who are the opposite. I spent less time on each successive GT but I have probably spent more time playing iRacing than every other game I have ever played combined.
iRacing is a true simulator more than it is a 'game'.

And I did not say people like you didn't exist. But GT is a AAA game with a AAA budget and so needs to cater to a pretty large gaming audience. I imagine that the people who play GT *purely* for the competitive racing simulation aspects are a minority percent.

The more I think on what Kaz has said, the more confident I feel that a proper GT7 is coming. Why? Because I think all this stuff about GT Sport being a proper entry to the franchise is simply PR fluff in order to make people more comfortable in buying/supporting it. If they confirmed GT7 was coming, it would pretty much validate any feelings and mutterings that GT Sport is just a 'spinoff' title and lots of people might simply not buy it and wait for the 'real' GT game later on.

And with the game seemingly coming with so little content(relative to modern GT/FM standards), no proper campaign, no upgrades and basically so many things cut from the mainline games, I just cant see them thinking that is going to fare nearly as well not just with reviewers, but of course with the community and fanbase who have certain expectations. And all this would also indicate to me that this is not a full scale project for the studio, meaning they could easily have a major percentage of the studio working towards a more fully-featured GT game.

In the end, I think GT Sport was probably initially conceived by Sony. PSVR has been a big part of their plans since before PS4 was released and they'll have put plans into place for content to launch with or around the PSVR. Gran Turismo is clearly one of the most obvious franchises that would suit VR and would be a surefire system seller and so they probably went to PD and said something like, "We'd like you guys to have something ready for PSVR when it launches, what can you do?". And I'm guessing the discussions led to them wanting to do something more creative and individual than just 'Gran Turismo 7 Prologue', so they came up with an online-driven esports angle, as that's something that's been gaining traction lately. So yea, I think GT Sport *is* probably a spin-off title, and that we'll still see a traditional Gran Turismo game at some point.

The more I think on what Kaz has said, the more confident I feel that a proper GT7 is coming. Why? Because I think all this stuff about GT Sport being a proper entry to the franchise is simply PR fluff in order to make people more comfortable in buying/supporting it. If they confirmed GT7 was coming, it would pretty much validate any feelings and mutterings that GT Sport is just a 'spinoff' title and lots of people might simply not buy it and wait for the 'real' GT game later on.

I think many of us here feel the same way, others are absolutely adamant we have to take everything said as fact and this is it. Of course only time will tell who is right.

And with the game seemingly coming with so little content(relative to modern GT/FM standards), no proper campaign, no upgrades and basically so many things cut from the mainline games, I just cant see them thinking that is going to fare nearly as well not just with reviewers, but of course with the community and fanbase who have certain expectations. And all this would also indicate to me that this is not a full scale project for the studio, meaning they could easily have a major percentage of the studio working towards a more fully-featured GT game.

In the end, I think GT Sport was probably initially conceived by Sony. PSVR has been a big part of their plans since before PS4 was released and they'll have put plans into place for content to launch with or around the PSVR. Gran Turismo is clearly one of the most obvious franchises that would suit VR and would be a surefire system seller and so they probably went to PD and said something like, "We'd like you guys to have something ready for PSVR when it launches, what can you do?". And I'm guessing the discussions led to them wanting to do something more creative and individual than just 'Gran Turismo 7 Prologue', so they came up with an online-driven esports angle, as that's something that's been gaining traction lately. So yea, I think GT Sport *is* probably a spin-off title, and that we'll still see a traditional Gran Turismo game at some point.
I so hope this is true...

I too!

I've been amazed at all the speculation (to be expected I supposed), but much moreso by the fact that it seems to have been assumed that GT in its traditional form is finished.

Seanspeed has literally summed up my feelings on the matter completely. I've not "played" any other game since the arcade stuff of the early '80s, so GT has literally been my gaming life since GT3 hit the market. I'm not interested in any other racing sim - provided Polyhony Digital continues to improve our beloved with each iteration, I'm as happy as a pig in gravy.

Right now, I'm just downright baffled.

I too!

I've been amazed at all the speculation (to be expected I supposed), but much moreso by the fact that it seems to have been assumed that GT in its traditional form is finished.

Seanspeed has literally summed up my feelings on the matter completely. I've not "played" any other game since the arcade stuff of the early '80s, so GT has literally been my gaming life since GT3 hit the market. I'm not interested in any other racing sim - provided Polyhony Digital continues to improve our beloved with each iteration, I'm as happy as a pig in gravy.

Right now, I'm just downright baffled.
GT Sport could just as easily be expanded into something more befitting the title "GT7".

("GT Sport is a service")

I was in the same boat @Monkey Man, but when Project CARS was given the official release date, I bought A PS4, I never know what I was missing only driving Gran Turismo, I didn't even play GT6 anymore, I put away my PS3 never to look back, I don't even miss it. Then I got an XBOX One for Forza Motorsport 6, With Porche DLC Nothing but smiles over here:D, Now Assetto Corsa is schedule for August release date and it's going to have Porsche's , with an Awesome physics engine, If you are A real Autosports fan, your are really short changing yourself, by not giving these fantastic Racing Simulators A try.

Well that's depressing. I was hoping that with everything learnt from making GT6 plus years of development on better hardware would add up to a bit more than what has been seen with GT-Sport. All I see is a PS4 version of GT6 with a lot of features taken out that I was hoping would actually be evolved further (weather and single player experience to name a few). It feels like they have chosen the GT-Sport title as an excuse to start from scratch but keep the fanbase of GranTurismo. I certainly look forward to see how the GTPlanet community respond to it once it has been out for a few months though. Sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer' but I saw the potential of GT on the ps4 to be a lot different (particularly after seeing other racers appear on the PS4 platform).

Well that's depressing. I was hoping that with everything learnt from making GT6 plus years of development on better hardware would add up to a bit more than what has been seen with GT-Sport. All I see is a PS4 version of GT6 with a lot of features taken out that I was hoping would actually be evolved further (weather and single player experience to name a few). It feels like they have chosen the GT-Sport title as an excuse to start from scratch but keep the fanbase of GranTurismo. I certainly look forward to see how the GTPlanet community respond to it once it has been out for a few months though. Sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer' but I saw the potential of GT on the ps4 to be a lot different (particularly after seeing other racers appear on the PS4 platform).
I have more or less the same feelings...
GT1 was the reason i bought PS1... GT3 (in bundle with a lovely red DVD case) was the reason i bought PS2... GT5/6 i bought day one... GTS is the reason i WILL NOT buy PS4...

I have more or less the same feelings...
GT1 was the reason i bought PS1... GT3 (in bundle with a lovely red DVD case) was the reason i bought PS2... GT5/6 i bought day one... GTS is the reason i WILL NOT buy PS4...

I bought A PS4 because of Project CARS, Now Assetto Corsa, and F1 2016 with the new Career mode will be released in August, There is also A Rally Sim on the PS4, So there are many Reason for A Sim Racer to buy A PS4, If GT Sport no longer intrigues you I'm sure one of these other titles will. I have already Pre-Ordered GT Sport out of support of PD being my first Sim, and I'm intrigued to see how this E Sport FIA affiliation is going to pan out, Will there be televised events and ceremonies? Because Madden NFL E-Sports has these things, So I'm looking forward to the new direction of Gran Turismo, and I can only hope there will be plenty of Car and Track DLC's.

I bought A PS4 because of Project CARS, Now Assetto Corsa, and F1 2016 with the new Career mode will be released in August, There is also A Rally Sim on the PS4, So there are many Reason for A Sim Racer to buy A PS4, If GT Sport no longer intrigues you I'm sure one of these other titles will. I have already Pre-Ordered GT Sport out of support of PD being my first Sim, and I'm intrigued to see how this E Sport FIA affiliation is going to pan out, Will there be televised events and ceremonies? Because Madden NFL E-Sports has these things, So I'm looking forward to the new direction of Gran Turismo, and I can only hope there will be plenty of Car and Track DLC's.
I have already Pcars and AC on PC (and many other racing games too my first racing game on PC was Screamer by Milestone ages ago)... :P

I have already Pcars and AC on PC (and many other racing games too my first racing game on PC was Screamer by Milestone ages ago)... :P

I stand corrected, Since you already have all the great racing sims on PC. GT Sport Alone may not be worth the purchase of A PS4:cheers:, Unless GT Sport can open A BIG door to E Sports, with televised events and ceremonies, You may have A tough decision when that day comes, because it has to in order for Gran Turismo to survive, if not I'm afraid it will be the end of Gran Turismo:( or if you would like F1 2016 and A Rally Sim on PS4, Hopefully you already have A T300 or A G29 wheel if not it may be A really big sacrifice for three titles. I just hope the DLC's are coming on A frequent monthly schedule if not because we all know how slow Polyphony Digital is, GT Sport could lose steam real fast. I'm hoping for the best.:scared:

GTS seems more like what I would look for in a modern version of the arcade cabinet racers I grew up playing.

I think I see what they are going for finally. Either that or I have officially went nuts.

I was in the same boat @Monkey Man, but when Project CARS was given the official release date, I bought A PS4, I never know what I was missing only driving Gran Turismo, I didn't even play GT6 anymore, I put away my PS3 never to look back, I don't even miss it. Then I got an XBOX One for Forza Motorsport 6, With Porche DLC Nothing but smiles over here:D, Now Assetto Corsa is schedule for August release date and it's going to have Porsche's , with an Awesome physics engine, If you are A real Autosports fan, your are really short changing yourself, by not giving these fantastic Racing Simulators A try.
I totally hear you, bro'.

The thing is, I've gotta keep it simple. I'm trying to resurrect a music career from a base of no money, and mate, I haven't even been able to afford the electricity to fire up the PS3 since early last year. Goes without saying that I freeze in winter! LOL

Anyway, I have to restrict my "fun" spending - I don't even go or eat out. Sticking with GT and upgrading the console when I have to is about all I can manage anyway.

As I said here or in another thread, as long as PD implements obvious improvements with each iteration of GT, I'm more than happy. The wait always kills me, but that's how PD roll. I know there's a bunch of different angles out there to be experienced, but the constant refinement of GT eventually will bring most of it my way anyway.

You could say, in this regard, I'm a true GT fanboi - one-eyed, blinkered and eternally-loyal! :lol:

I totally hear you, bro'.

The thing is, I've gotta keep it simple. I'm trying to resurrect a music career from a base of no money, and mate, I haven't even been able to afford the electricity to fire up the PS3 since early last year. Goes without saying that I freeze in winter! LOL

Anyway, I have to restrict my "fun" spending - I don't even go or eat out. Sticking with GT and upgrading the console when I have to is about all I can manage anyway.

As I said here or in another thread, as long as PD implements obvious improvements with each iteration of GT, I'm more than happy. The wait always kills me, but that's how PD roll. I know there's a bunch of different angles out there to be experienced, but the constant refinement of GT eventually will bring most of it my way anyway.

You could say, in this regard, I'm a true GT fanboi - one-eyed, blinkered and eternally-loyal! :lol:

Oh A starving artist huh?:lol: Well I hope all your sacrifice tuns to success. Best Of luck in the music Biz.:cheers:

Let's examine this.

What has GT had in the later versions that would account for calling GTsport GT7?

Huge car counts and huge track counts.
Major offline career.
B-Spec. (which has previously been almost 50% game total)
Add parts to any car to create an extreme (for that model) race car.
Special events like NASCAR, Seb. rally, Senna, Redbull.
Wheels, gauges, race mods., spoilers.

Does GTsport offer any of these things?
Seems to me it doesn't.

Regardless of Kaz's claims 'he could call it GT7'.
To my mind it's a long way away considering the info. given for the latest version.

Frankly, it stands out as a quick, off-the-cuff comment to a journalist's question, that was followed up repeatedly after the point.

I find no real evidence it is actually the case.

100% agree, my fellow Aussie; this is how I've seen it all along. It's as if that one comment spawned a whole new universe or something.

Given the development time taken since GT6, there's no way in the world anyone could convince me that it's all gone into GTS; that'd be absolutely ridiculous.

I'm inclined to believe, as I think you do, that GTS is a convenient spin-off, a value-adding product that essentially comprises a small subset of the assets already developed for GT7.

Not only is this IMHO logical, but dammit, I have to believe this 'cause I'm married to the GT-proper series. I think I'd wanna die without it! LOL

Back