Is GT Sport Now A Viable Single Player Game?

• Thread starter tbtstt
  • 81 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance, as I know the subject of this post is one that has been touched on in many other posts, but I am hoping for a conclusive answer!

I was all set to buy GT Sport on release, right up until the point when I played the Beta and realized that all the racing was online so, for the first time since GT2, I skipped a day one purchase. Now I understand that GT League has subsequently been added to the game and that there is a decent chunk of AI races (like GT of old) to play through. My question is, if you purely stick to GT League, is there enough money within it to progress through the races, or is your hand forced into racing online in order to earn enough money to fill up your garage?

The single player modes are large in scale but GT league lacks the progression and structure of previous games, more suited to flittering around between them than a focussed career. I like it but have to be honest about its flaws, it was squeezed in after and it shows.

The mission mode is, I found, probably the most engaging part of the game, along with the track experiences. Stick at those parts and you will be rewarded with genuine achievable challenges to get golds.

Money is pretty much a non-issue, as you get cars like candy, one random car a day if you do a decent distance plus lots from the events, and the random cars include pretty much every kind in the game from n100 hatchbacks to top line GR3-2-1 cars. You cant sell the gift cars though.

And do give sport mode a go, it is 'online racing for offline racers' and it works.

Real Players are a lot faster than stupid AI. The AI in GTSport with the Rubberband is annoying. I did only few Races and then stopped. It makes no sense to try out different tactics in endurance races, just for the AI to rubberband all tactics to nonsense. I love the Online Races a lot more than the old offline races. But there are also a lot unhonorable players in these races. They are also very annoying. They are in all Ranks. Even in S you get bumped off so many times if you give some players the tinieast chance to do so. Or they overtake you in the inside, while you are already on the rumble stripe. So i stopped after few Month and hopped to the next game. (No Racing Sim) Now only from time to time i am playing 1 or 2 races.

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance, as I know the subject of this post is one that has been touched on in many other posts, but I am hoping for a conclusive answer!

I was all set to buy GT Sport on release, right up until the point when I played the Beta and realized that all the racing was online so, for the first time since GT2, I skipped a day one purchase. Now I understand that GT League has subsequently been added to the game and that there is a decent chunk of AI races (like GT of old) to play through. My question is, if you purely stick to GT League, is there enough money within it to progress through the races, or is your hand forced into racing online in order to earn enough money to fill up your garage?
Yes you can just do the GT League and earn enough money to fill up your garage 👍. Try to avoid Sport Mode until PD fixes the problem.

Approx 550 online races done (and has been awhile) and I've been mostly playing single player for maybe a month now.

Like people before me said, the lack of structure is sad. Just random races. How difficult would it be to add a challenge tree or something. "Win this race in this particular car" and so on. Of course I can set up one myself but for some reason I'm much more motivated if the challenge is made by dev/someone else.

Right now I'm probably gonna wait for more single player races until I play again. I'm on the verge of level 47 and I wanna get to 50 but there's nothing to do right now that isn't boring.

If you were only to do the offline game you'd have a good 25-30 hours of playtime between the circuit experience, race series events, other mission modes. You'd also gain a substantial number of cars this way, some are fixed to an event, some would come randomly. If you then got into scapes and liveries the time played could rise significantly.

Yes.

Why is everyone so afraid to go online? I don't understand why this is an issue. May you explain your reasoning? I'm curious what the turn off is.
Traditionally I haven't had a great history with racing games online. They are brilliant when you are racing with friends, but I find the experience very mixed otherwise: you have one great race where everyone is driving fairly, then the next race everyone spears into you on the first corner and sends you off into the trees!

I guess I prefer the predictability (and accessibility) of offline racing, AI will often do daft things but it will never maliciously end your race.

The single player modes are large in scale but GT league lacks the progression and structure of previous games, more suited to flittering around between them than a focussed career. I like it but have to be honest about its flaws, it was squeezed in after and it shows.
Thanks very much for that, it's great to have an honest gauge of the additional mode(s) versus GT games of old.

Money is pretty much a non-issue, as you get cars like candy, one random car a day if you do a decent distance plus lots from the events, and the random cars include pretty much every kind in the game from n100 hatchbacks to top line GR3-2-1 cars. You cant sell the gift cars though.
That's really encouraging to read. My biggest interest in the game now the tuning aspect has been removed is the GT3 and LMP1 cars (especially now I see that Circuit de la Sarthe has been added). I know these are among the more expensive cars in game, so I wondered if I am to expect a lot of grinding to get them: knowing they might be offered as a daily prize is good news!

Traditionally I haven't had a great history with racing games online. They are brilliant when you are racing with friends, but I find the experience very mixed otherwise: you have one great race where everyone is driving fairly, then the next race everyone spears into you on the first corner and sends you off into the trees!

Get some practice in and join some of the user made leagues here on GTPlanet. They offer mostly clean and well organised racing events.

I find AI to be dirtier than real drivers in Sport Mode.

But yeah it is viable for single player content, but it is personally frustrating when people are so against online racing. Even a 'meh' online race is far more enjoyable than any AI race on GT Sport. At least try the online racing, at least 5 races so that you get given a rating. Try different races and go against a range of people.

People mourning the loss of single player in GT have me confused. Especially when people say GTSport is a bunch of random races. Thats all GT mode has ever been. Its always been a case of pick a race, get the laps done and try to enjoy it despite the ****** AI getting in the way. GTSport still has lots of that, it just doesn't totally over deliver it like the previous games did.

Just buy it already.

Last edited:
I have only done about 10 SP races in GR league. Driving school, missions and circuit experience are rather good, but short.

That is a load of Rubbish.

I've been hit in Sport Mode, many times. Yeah, even purposely took out. Been brake-checked too, many times.

But AI drivers have done the equivalent. AI Drivers have braked 100's of metres too late at time, wiping me out. Braking so late that it is the equivalent of being purposely hit. Or AI drivers have braked on a straight, the equivalent of brake checking if they weren't artificially intelligent.

AI Drivers have no spacial awareness, never. At least in Sport Mode, some drivers are aware.

Also, you have only done 16 Sport Mode Races. Yet you think that 16 races, at the default B Sportsmanship, is in some way representative of the entire mode. It isn't. Come back and complain about how AI is better than real drivers when you've actually experienced Sport Mode properly and not just 16 races at the default ranking. The default ranking where all the new drivers come in etc. Of course you aren't going to have a good opinion if all 16 of your races are going to feature new rookie racers who come in at B Sportsmanship Rank.

People mourning the loss of single player in GT have me confused. Especially when people say GTSport is a bunch of random races. Thats all GT mode has ever been. Its always been a case of pick a race, get the laps done and try to enjoy it despite the ****** AI getting in the way. GTSport still has lots of that, it just doesn't totally over deliver it like the previous games did.

Just buy it already.

People that refuse to get it through their head that online is not everything and that no video game should ever focus only on online play, especially if they want to charge full price for it, and that people that think that online is everything are a minority and that the actual majority of the player base does not agree with them confuse me.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, didn't expect so many replies so quickly!

Real Players are a lot faster than stupid AI. The AI in GTSport with the Rubberband is annoying. I did only few Races and then stopped. It makes no sense to try out different tactics in endurance races, just for the AI to rubberband all tactics to nonsense. I love the Online Races a lot more than the old offline races. But there are also a lot unhonorable players in these races. They are also very annoying. They are in all Ranks. Even in S you get bumped off so many times if you give some players the tinieast chance to do so. Or they overtake you in the inside, while you are already on the rumble stripe. So i stopped after few Month and hopped to the next game. (No Racing Sim) Now only from time to time i am playing 1 or 2 races.
I find AI to be dirtier than real drivers in Sport Mode.

But yeah it is viable for single player content, but it is personally frustrating when people are so against online racing. Even a 'meh' online race is far more enjoyable than any AI race on GT Sport. At least try the online racing, at least 5 races so that you get given a rating. Try different races and go against a range of people.
I actually agree with both of your posts; fair human opponents are much more challenging to race against and a decent online race is much more satisfying than a race against the AI (especially if you win!)...

...the problem is that, historically, I have found that online races tend to either be brilliant or incredibly frustrating! I don't have anywhere near as much time for gaming these days as I used to, hence my preference to jump straight into a more consistent off line experience.
Get some practice in and join some of the user made leagues here on GTPlanet. They offer mostly clean and well organised racing events.
This sounds pretty promising. I have done this with the last couple of DiRT games and largely enjoyed the online component. As said, the fair racing is highly enjoyable (and the best way to improve).

If you were only to do the offline game you'd have a good 25-30 hours of playtime between the circuit experience, race series events, other mission modes. You'd also gain a substantial number of cars this way, some are fixed to an event, some would come randomly. If you then got into scapes and liveries the time played could rise significantly.
As long as I can acquire the cars I want and race them around the tracks I like I'd be quite happy! Most of the time I have committed to previous GT games has been grinding to buy the cars I like and then beat my lap times with them.

Approx 550 online races done (and has been awhile) and I've been mostly playing single player for maybe a month now.

Like people before me said, the lack of structure is sad. Just random races. How difficult would it be to add a challenge tree or something. "Win this race in this particular car" and so on. Of course I can set up one myself but for some reason I'm much more motivated if the challenge is made by dev/someone else.

Right now I'm probably gonna wait for more single player races until I play again. I'm on the verge of level 47 and I wanna get to 50 but there's nothing to do right now that isn't boring.

Just buy it already.
Yeah, the previous games have all been a bit scattershot, where you often buy unwanted cars just to complete a random event before selling it on again. I guess it's habitual for me: I bought all but the first game on release date and have played each one thoroughly, seeing GT Sport for the first time (during the Beta) really threw me as it no longer seemed like a GT game anymore.

Just had a look and it looks like GT Sport is now less than £15 on PSN, so I guess I haven't really got any excuse now!

People that refuse to get it through their head that online is not everything and that no video game should ever focus only on online play, especially if they want to charge full price for it, and that people that think that online is everything are a minority and that the actual majority of the player base does not agree with them confuse me.

Where did I mention Online (in this post :sly:)?

What I was saying was that the format is still the same.. 1000s of laps for the sake of it against terrible AI. So the key ingredients are still there. ;)

I'd agree the Ai can be very poor, they range from Sunday drivers in some races all the way through to uber-alien speedfreaks in others (the MX5 race on the Japanese track springs to mind where one guy will always be unfeasibly quick)

The single player stuff is alright, it would get you by for awhile. I personally love the Sport mode and online lobbies. I find the racing to be cleaner and much closer than any single player experience in any racing game. Yes, you might get bumped and hit some, but most of the time, I find its not on purpose. If someone taps me, I'm fine with it. Rubbing is racing to an extent. The AI is short a chromosome or two though

The single player stuff is alright, it would get you by for awhile. I personally love the Sport mode and online lobbies. I find the racing to be cleaner and much closer than any single player experience in any racing game. Yes, you might get bumped and hit some, but most of the time, I find its not on purpose. If someone taps me, I'm fine with it. Rubbing is racing to an extent. The AI is short a chromosome or two though
"Rubbing" I'm fine with, it's "repeatedly getting speared from behind at full speed when braking for the first corner" that leaves me shouting at the TV!

Just had a look and it looks like GT Sport is now less than £15 on PSN, so I guess I haven't really got any excuse now!

Sale finishes end of today (18th) I think so gotta be quick.

"Rubbing" I'm fine with, e "repeatedly getting speared from behind at full speed when braking for the first corner" that leaves me shouting at the TV!

Getting speared doesn't happen (on GTS) as much as some people would like to claim it does on GTP.

Sale finishes end of today (18th) I think so gotta be quick.
Seems like that might be a job for this evening then! Mind you, I just looked on Amazon and new physical copies are less than £20 now (and only a tenner second hand), so not the end of the world if I miss the PSN sale.

Possibly a daft question, but I assume GTS includes a "free play" mode against the AI? (i.e. a car from your garage on a circuit of your choosing?)

Single player is acceptable but not a career mode experience as in other GT offerings. In order to make the races interesting you need to lower performance and tires. The payouts are better for racing clean and having a lower N value car. This doesn't apply in GR1,2,3,4 races. In those you only receive the clean race bonus(50%). I avoided Sport mode for a long time. Now I race on tracks I like if the class is one I enjoy. Payouts on Sport mode will not give you big payouts if that is your goal.

"Rubbing" I'm fine with, it's "repeatedly getting speared from behind at full speed when braking for the first corner" that leaves me shouting at the TV!

Getting speared doesn't happen (on GTS) as much as some people would like to claim it does on GTP.

I have to agree, it does happen some, but it seems to be very rare. As someone who use to play alot of Forza online, GTS is about as clean as racing can get without being in a real car on a real track.

S

Possibly a daft question, but I assume GTS includes a "free play" mode against the AI? (i.e. a car from your garage on a circuit of your choosing?)
Yes, in Arcade mode under single player. You can choose your car, track, opponent level, race length. Racing up a level or two or racing against Group cars can be interesting. Road cars that you can purchase with Milage points in exchange against GR 4 or Gr 3 can be challenging.

Yes, in Arcade mode under single player. You can choose your car, track, opponent level, race length. Racing up a level or two or racing against Group cars can be interesting. Road cars that you can purchase with Milage points in exchange against GR 4 or Gr 3 can be challenging.
Perfect, cheers!

Some of us just don't care for playing online against a bunch of randos. In fact some of us just don't care for playing online full stop.

As the other user mentioned, could you explain your reasoning? Why don't you care? Have you even tried? Done many online races? Or are you just against something without trying.

If the latter, then that's okay. That is me with vegetables.

Back