Is GT Sport Now A Viable Single Player Game?

• Thread starter tbtstt
  • 81 comments
I think its a great game.

I am uasely not a person who likes online games. I almost always prefer playing against AI at my own pace, and enjoy content of the game that way.

My thoughts about GT sport.

The single player is ok.

If you are a casual hobby sim driver, then the licenses, missions, and circuit experiences will last you a good while to gold everything unless you are like super very good. Some things you can gold first try, and others will take you several attempts. But it seems that there is nothing that is really unachievable if you put some time and dedication into it.

The added GT league mode also has a lot of content now. Its ok fun but like all other sim games the AI has it flaws. They are dirty, braking in weird spots, bumping you and so on. More or less like every other driving game. You can pick slower cars for events making them harder that way and earn more money if you can still win.

The online ranked sport mode part is great. Yes it has it flaws, but really its like 1000 times better than anything we have had before. Even I am not normally a guy who likes online games I think this mode is really good. You you will get bumbed from time to time, and yes you will sometimes get unfair penalties, but still its a huge improvement to other games that had no Penalty system at all.

Also there is Unranked online lobby game, where you can join a lobby or create your own with your prefered settings, and then just drive there and kick out people who dont behave.

If you deside to buy it, You should at least give Sport mode a chance. I think there is a very high chance that you will actually prefer it over single player. Just dont worry to much about your ranking, and be prepared for some dirtyness and so on. But also you will find a lot of good fun and clean races that will far oughtweight the negatives.

All in all its a great game especially for the low price it is at now.

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance, as I know the subject of this post is one that has been touched on in many other posts, but I am hoping for a conclusive answer!

I was all set to buy GT Sport on release, right up until the point when I played the Beta and realized that all the racing was online so, for the first time since GT2, I skipped a day one purchase. Now I understand that GT League has subsequently been added to the game and that there is a decent chunk of AI races (like GT of old) to play through. My question is, if you purely stick to GT League, is there enough money within it to progress through the races, or is your hand forced into racing online in order to earn enough money to fill up your garage?

The structure of GT league is more open than it was in the past, so there might not be the same sense of accomplishment. Payouts and rewards can be generous though... just remember, always try and beat the opposition in a lesser car... the rewards are better and I think it reduces rubber banding, and the sometimes random behaviour of the AI. As for filling up your garage, you get a car for free each day if you complete 27 miles driving, and you win a load of cars just doing the driving missions.

Between 'league' and the other offline content, it's worth a punt at its current price... to be fair, I think it's worth it for the livery editor alone.. but that's just me.

Seems like that might be a job for this evening then! Mind you, I just looked on Amazon and new physical copies are less than £20 now (and only a tenner second hand), so not the end of the world if I miss the PSN sale.

Possibly a daft question, but I assume GTS includes a "free play" mode against the AI? (i.e. a car from your garage on a circuit of your choosing?)

I will always take a digi copy over physical as I "share" (linking our 2 ps4 by making the other ps4 our primary one) a ps4 with my brother getting 2 digital copies of a game.

I wouldn’t buy this game at full price just for single player, but it seems to be on sale a lot.

I say give online a chance though.

I will always take a digi copy over physical as I "share" (linking our 2 ps4 by making the other ps4 our primary one) a ps4 with my brother getting 2 digital copies of a game.
I am one of the shrinking minority who prefers to have a physical copy sitting on a shelf rather than a load of digital games on a hard drive (I am the same with music and film as well).

It is hard to resist the digital copy when it's going cheap though!

I am one of the shrinking minority who prefers to have a physical copy sitting on a shelf rather than a load of digital games on a hard drive (I am the same with music and film as well).

It is hard to resist the digital copy when it's going cheap though!
Fair point. Good reason to buy physical.

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance, as I know the subject of this post is one that has been touched on in many other posts, but I am hoping for a conclusive answer!

I was all set to buy GT Sport on release, right up until the point when I played the Beta and realized that all the racing was online so, for the first time since GT2, I skipped a day one purchase. Now I understand that GT League has subsequently been added to the game and that there is a decent chunk of AI races (like GT of old) to play through. My question is, if you purely stick to GT League, is there enough money within it to progress through the races, or is your hand forced into racing online in order to earn enough money to fill up your garage?
Where are you located/what's your time zone? The league I'm in on here (check sig) is one of if not the largest GTS league on GTPlanet. At one time we were the largest GT6 league in the world with over 100 players. Many of the GT Academy finalists are from our league. If you're interested and can make it at the time we race then please sign up. You will not be disappointed.

Seems like that might be a job for this evening then! Mind you, I just looked on Amazon and new physical copies are less than £20 now (and only a tenner second hand), so not the end of the world if I miss the PSN sale.

Possibly a daft question, but I assume GTS includes a "free play" mode against the AI? (i.e. a car from your garage on a circuit of your choosing?)

Reading your posts sounds like you are a similar player to me. As a casual player, I think it'll keep you occupied easily for a few hours a week for quite a while. It lacks a lot of the old features such as proper mods, progression in GT mode and such, but between Mission mode, Circuit experiences (recommend you do these first) and then GT Mode and/or Sport mode you should easily find enough hours to justify £15 In my opinion.

The Custom races in Arcade don't give you much Credits or XP (GT mode gets you these easier but you win 50 cars just by doing other stuff anyway) but they do give you a nice playbox to pick a car/type and any track once you unlock them by levelling up your XP. For the GR X cars, most can't be used in GT League or Sport Mode but you can do fun races in Custom mode or the Arcade mode events. I still have the Arcade stars to finish collecting - thanks for reminding me!

Yes.

Why is everyone so afraid to go online? I don't understand why this is an issue. May you explain your reasoning? I'm curious what the turn off is.

I guess the problem being is that you cant even buy a car unless you're online.

Reading your posts sounds like you are a similar player to me. As a casual player, I think it'll keep you occupied easily for a few hours a week for quite a while. It lacks a lot of the old features such as proper mods, progression in GT mode and such, but between Mission mode, Circuit experiences (recommend you do these first) and then GT Mode and/or Sport mode you should easily find enough hours to justify £15 In my opinion.

The Custom races in Arcade don't give you much Credits or XP (GT mode gets you these easier but you win 50 cars just by doing other stuff anyway) but they do give you a nice playbox to pick a car/type and any track once you unlock them by levelling up your XP. For the GR X cars, most can't be used in GT League or Sport Mode but you can do fun races in Custom mode or the Arcade mode events. I still have the Arcade stars to finish collecting - thanks for reminding me!
Yep, it sounds like most of my wants are covered there: and there is enough to play to justify the money. I already knew the modification system of old was gone and, although that was a big part of the game(s) for me, I am just as interested in the real GT cars, so they are enough to draw me to GTS.

I brand myself an Offlne Player, but damn, Sport Mode is addictive. Took me a long while to win races(got the game a few monthsago). I didn't want to go online because I didn't think I'd be competitive. I was surprised at my race pace. 22 wins in and also some good podium finishes.

Winning isn't everything. I've had some great battles at different parts of the back. Battling for last, for 10th, even driving the majority of many races by myself in the top 10. Those were just as challenging trying to maximise the car and keep concentration, managing the gap to cars in front and behind.

I still like doing Campaign. There's a trade off with rewards. Coming first with a clean race in the 1hour Enduros, can net 600k in Cr. However, as has been pointed out, the AI can be slow and also worse than a real player.

A very cool thing about GTS, the cars. All of them have varying characteristics to learn. That's where I get most of my fun. Last thing I'll mention is, with so much info from this particular community, you'll work it out. Enjoy! :)

Singleplayer custom races are fine. You can turn off rubber banding (boost), set fuel and tire wear, number of laps, rolling or standing start, penalties and more.

However my one big issue with it - aside from the cars not racing nearly as closely as for instance in PC2 - is that the AI seems scripted to always finish in more or less the same positions. I've yet to do a Gr. 3 race where the two BMW M6's didn't finish 1st or 2nd or 2nd and 3rd behind me.
Also for fast drivers the highest AI difficulty is not going to offer much or any challenge (but I'm not fast so I rarely win a race on pro difficulty).

While I've started playing more Project Cars 2 lately I still find myself greatly enjoying custom races in GT Sport.

I enjoy the custom races, where I can set up (almost) everything according to my preferences, more than the GT League events, which can range from stupidly easy to riduculously hard and frustrating, with opponents starting with a 40+ sec. advantage. As for credits, I have pretty much everything I want, except for the 20 million cr. Ferrari and Jaguar.

Then there's the livery editor, which I love and where I spend like 50% of my time with GT Sport.

Crazy and stupid as it sounds, I bought the game full price with zero intention of racing online, because I'm pretty sure I will feel self conscious about my sub-par driving skills, and also feel bad for my unreliable internet ruining it for everyone else, so yes, I'm kind of afraid of it.

Maybe some day, when I'm feeling confident enough. But until then, I'm fine with being an offline racer.

My answer to the OP:

- I'd say yes. You can have GTS and play it offline only. However this is not flawless, on the contrary there are many flaws and the offline portion is far from being something like complete experience.

- In my opinion the AI is dumb, the races are way too easy.

- If you wanna play offline, you may want set some meta objectives to keep your interest and the grind on.

- Goals like: buy/collect all the cars, complete all in game achievements (not the trophies one), beat your favorite races with all cars elegible for it, complete the Gr3 Endurances with all Gr3 cars (my personal one), create a super dope photo album with your fav cars, cand so on and on.

I think that offline enjoyment pretty much revolves around your pace. If you couldn't beat Professional AI in GT6, you probably won't be able to in GTS. So that leaves a challenge factor in, and an incentive to drive better.

But if you found the AI laughably easy in GT6 (if you played it), things haven't got one iota better in GTS. You still need to spot the AI several grades of tires and nerf the engine power a lot to be presented with a challenge. PD's AI are quite honestly the worst in the business. Yes, if you don't mind the aesthetics of racing against a Porsche in a Mazda MX-5, you can present yourself with a decent challenge. But if you want to sim same class racing and have decent chops, things get pretty ridiculous.

In all honesty, if you don't want to play online, and want a serious challenge, get AC or PC2, whose AI are light years ahead of GT's. Both have significantly better track selection and car selection, and PC2 throws in real weather and time progression.

I look at this in a few ways... firstly this game is now as low as $10 usd new. For that, there's no question this game is worth it and since you have at least 18 months of free DLC to come.

Get it now.

However saying that, I feel that dont go in expecting heaps of new content.

If you play the game for for that 26 miles a day then you'll get your moneys worth.

I used to play say Forza4 for hours on end because there's so many canned races. I dont think there's enough content in GTS to play hours a day, single player.

So for me, if this game entertains me for 42km a day for the next 18 months then I'm happy especially because my life circumstances have changed since 2011. I dont have time to spend hours on a game so this 'quick in, quick out' gameplay works for me.

The next content update should be out soon.

I also feel that this game like GT5/6 is about community. I liked participating in the old GT6 seasonals and there's some taste of that here too.

Just because you’ve had a bad experience doesn’t mean everyone does. Most of your posts I see you’re spouting utter nonsense, slating the game. By the sounds of it, most of your dirty races and dubious penalties all have one common denominator.

You.
No I have not had any bad experience, and don't talk a whole lot of rubbish.

For online I like to do a lot of league type lobby racing because you just won't find good competitive clean race's ( race after race after race ) anywhere else.
The rest of my time is spent doing single player content.

One of the first things you should remember going into single player is that PD put tuning in this game as a very very very LOW priority. Unless your doing lobby racing you should just forget tuning is even in this game.

Do all of your single player race's with cars that are 100% Factory Stock even the tires. If it comes with sport tires then leave them on. The race's in GT League will be much more challenging but every race is still winnable.

Custom Race's can be made much more challenging again leaving your cars all stock.

Example

Do a custom 1hr endurance race at la Sarthe with the N-200 Alfa Romeo 4C

100% stock 4C
Sport tires only.
Fuel X1 & Tire wear X1
No assist but ABS
Damage on heavy
Boost Off
Slipstream Real
Track grip set to Real
All penalties set on Strong
Caution flags on
Rolling Start
Competition N-400

It will take you the full hour to retake the lead on the last lap only if you can run every lap mistake free. No damage and no penalties. The AI will fight you on every position you take and you will have to defend a lot. More challenging than anything in GT League.

Single player is what you make of it. So If you choose to setup a custom race not to be difficult or you want to Max out the HP & drop the weight of the car, tune the suspension and transmission and throw on race tires then expect the AI to put up a fight you will seriously disappointed.

No I have not had any bad experience, and don't talk a whole lot of rubbish.

Seems like rubbish to me

GTS is so boring now and Sports Mode is a joke, I think most players want GT7 ASAP and they don't mind if they get 25 skylines or what ever in the game, as long as there is a lot of cars like around 1200.

Really PD has made a big mistake releasing GTS, it should have been GT7 with online seasonal, Time Trials, Drift Events 👍.

You can have bad experiences in sport mode, yet the bad experiences in single player always feel worse to me. Getting crashed off the track by the AI getting it's late magic boost power sending you to second in one of the endurance challenges feels like a total waste of time. In sport mode, it's a learning experience, no magic boosts there and people are more consistent in their driving style.

There's plenty offline content now, so much I haven't been keeping up with it anymore. Money is much easier to make offline, as well as XP. The problem is, it's only challenging if you handicap yourself. And while it is fun to win an N1000 race with a N200 tuned oldie, I rather enjoy going fast. Not slowing myself down to get a challenge because the AI can't keep the fast cars on the road.

Offline is for money and xp, online for fun imo. I've only put 850 hours into this game so far though :)

Driving school, 64 challenges, circuit experience, complete all that and you have your garage pretty filled up already and should have been playing for 20-25 hours at least to gold all that. GT League has a ton of races now, or you could time trial any track in VR, or set up any race you want in arcade mode and still earn money and xp.

For sport mode to find clean races, your best bet is to race late at night and get to SR.S asap. The daily C is usually better than the sprint races and some tracks are better than others for a clean experience. Then it's simply a long learning curve how to actually race real people, unlearning all the dirty tricks and bad braking GT AI has taught everyone in the past decades. Following closely behind another human opponent for multiple laps, studying his moves, waiting for an opportunity to initiate a pass, AI simply can not deliver that. The single player does teach you how to keep the car on the track, step 1, which it seems a lot of people in sport mode have skipped :)

Welcome to the 'Planet! :cheers:

So, on the basis of your question regarding credits, yes, GT Sport is a viable game now. In fact, the best way to earn money and thus buy cars — somewhat bizarrely, for a game so focused on online racing — is offline (or, more accurately, single-player). The Circuit Experience section is great for this (we explain it here), and there's a few money-spinners in the single-player campaign.

If you're looking for the sense of progression that the old GTs (1–4) offered, that isn't really here. It's all single-race events, with no championship points carrying across. There's no prize cars (that's the Daily Marathon duty now), and there's just a tally of how many times you've won a specific event. And while there's a fairly effective grinding event for purchasing cars, it highlights the AI's issues. An X-Bow should even remotely have a chance of catching a Veyron around an oval.

That all said, the game is on sale right now, for very cheap. At regular price, if you were to never use Sport Mode, I'd be a little wary of recommending it, because there is less here of the "traditional" GT than other games on the market. But at the current PSN regular price, and even more so the sale one, it's a fantastic deal. There's so many good racing games this gen, all slightly different from one another, and GTS is shot full of quality.

Plus, if you like livery design or photography, it's going to provide hours of both!

since you have at least 18 months of free DLC to come.

It doesn't help anybody when misinformation like this is passed around.

Normally when you think someone has posted erroneous information, you go "I think this information is wrong and this is why I think its wrong".

To just say "oh youre wrong" and not expand on it really doesnt help but hey, that's none of my business.

So, on the basis of your question regarding credits, yes, GT Sport is a viable game now. In fact, the best way to earn money and thus buy cars — somewhat bizarrely, for a game so focused on online racing — is offline (or, more accurately, single-player). The Circuit Experience section is great for this (we explain it here), and there's a few money-spinners in the single-player campaign.
Cheers for that link, will give it a proper read later. As said in my one of my earlier posts it is the GT3 and LMP cars that of great interest to me and, in GT games of old, the best racing cars always required maximum grinding to purchase!

Plus, if you like livery design or photography, it's going to provide hours of both!
Liveries not so much, but photography is a yes!

So, inspired by all your positive comments, I decided I couldn't wait for a physical copy and I should pick up the game on PSN in the current sale. Didn't manage to fire the PS4 up until after 10 last night, clicked on the PS Store icon and... "This service is undergoing maintenance". Kept trying for the next couple of hours and finally got into the store just after midnight: at which point the price had gone from £13 back to £49!

Will have a look on eBay and Facebook Marketplace later to see if anyone local has a copy, if not I will order one from Amazon (only £18 at the moment, so not too bad)

Some more stuff which is cool on this game for solo :

- the museum sections for car brands, and more globally videos, informations about cars, etc... makes some kind of "car culture" aura, it's nice to look at these stuff between 2 intense races.

- if you have PSVR, you can have some good time trial experience :)

Otherwise, GT league is a welcome addition but is not "amazing", correct me if I'm wrong but there is no "cup"/championship format with multiple races and a final global ranking : in a 4 races cup, you can do any of the 4 races separately in any order and there is no final result. Anyway, golding driving license and missions is still a nice thing to do !

Yet, you should really try to race online, don't be afraid of, as some other said, sometimes IA can be worse than most of sports mode players :)

AI Drivers have no spacial awareness, never. At least in Sport Mode, some drivers are aware.

THIS. Grinding Blue Moon has taught me that the AI should be given a very wide berth at all times as they're unpredictable, unstable and generally don't react to anything in front of them.

If you enjoy Gran Turismo’s idea of what a race is then you will have fun.

If you don’t enjoy catching rabbits and blasting through a field of generally slow AI then it is better to look else where. Under powered cars increase the challenge of course but it still doesn’t fell like racing to me.

GT league looks like it will contine to grow, so if you do enjoy solo racing, new challenges will arrive sooner or later :)

I enjoyed the circuit experience stuff, but IMO the gold goals are a bit to easy to achieve, the mission stuff is decent as well.

Remember you need to be connected to PSN to open up most of what the game has to offer, you only need PS plus for online racing.

But it cheap there is some fun to be had.

Back