• 95 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
I mean, is this how all GT games will be from now on? Or do you think GTS is kind of like a prologue to a soon-coming "real" Gran Turismo?

After tormenting myself for a while I've decided again to install GT6 (which is a nightmare if you're aware of the manual update process necessary). But I'm doing it because I want the modern cars and graphics, but I want a GT mode. I tried GT5 but the whole XP system is absolute nonsense now in offline-only mode, you'd need the patience of a saint to level up to 40 now there are no seasonal (XP booster) events. So GT6 it is.. currently got 8 of the 21 updates installed and I'll probably stop once Sierra Time Rally is installed, or maybe go as far as adding Midfield.

But I digress....
I really do hope that since GTS is PD's first foray into PS4 land they do plan to make a full fat Gran Turismo as we all know and love it. I don't care about racing online, I just want to start with a small amount of money, no cars, and a plethora of races to get my teeth into. Proper license tests, driving missions, even Special Conditions Events. Basically I want GT4 with the GTS gloss and finish :lol:

I'm sure it's been said many times before but - it's incredibly mean of PD to shut down the servers for 5 & 6 without fixing them first - remove the XP system from 5, and fix the updates for 6, just to give those games some longevity for those of us who aren't remotely interested in Sport. But then why give older games longevity when that'll cut down the field of those buying GT Sport (being forced to buy out of frustration)?

If you compare what is in GT Sport right now, with GT6 - how much difference is there really. Some events are more clicks away, others are fewer.

GT6 had online events with matchmaking - which isn't all that different to the Daily (Weekly) events we have now. GTS has the Nations and Manufacturers championships (which I admit is a significant difference)
The GT mode never used to grow - now it does, and if it isn't comparable in size now - it won't be too long before it is.

GT6 had much more car customisation - in terms of spoilers, tuning and some other modifications. GTS has a livery editor.
GT6 had Goodwood and other offline events separate to GT Mode, GTS has a custom race option.
GT6 had significantly more cars and tracks, GTS has more regular updates. The limited number of tracks used to feel quite noticeable - now, to me it doesn't.

I have not been tempted to go back to try GT6, but will do as I now have a wheel and wonder how GT6 will feel with it. But since getting a wheel, I haven't touched Drive Club either.

I suspect that the next Gran Turismo will feel like an updated version of GTS - with more of a traditional feel. But, the online will remain front and centre - as it should. It needs to build on the e-sports theme - to keep interest high, sales up, and a viable player based for the series to continue.

i wonder if some way of merging the online lobbies with the daily races is possible for future generations of the game?

My guess would be that Gran Turismo 7 will be the next game (rather than Gran Turismo Sport 2) but will borrow heavily from 'Sport' in terms of the online play.

I totally agree with Super GT. I believe that GT7 is the next one, and part of the assets created for GTS were made with that in mind. What throws me a bit is that now the platform is X86 based, and if the rumors are true on PS5, PD may make GT7 has a launch game for PS5, and looking at the track record, it wont be PS4 and PS5.. Many questions remain, what i do know is that is coming and if PD continues the leaps from game to game GT7 or GTS2 or whatever will probably be amazing..... (unless they are bought but Bethesda... ahahah)

I suspect that the next Gran Turismo will feel like an updated version of GTS - with more of a traditional feel. But, the online will remain front and centre - as it should. It needs to build on the e-sports theme - to keep interest high, sales up, and a viable player based for the series to continue.

I agree with this. GTS was an important evolution of the series to carry the franchise into the future and I bet this has kept PD very busy. I'm sure they'll have more time to work on the offline stuff for the next instalment.

@RikkiGT-R Please don't take this the wrong way but I genuinely want to know...Why the aversion to on-line racing?

Don't you want to race against other players as opposed to really slow and predictable AI?

I mean, it doesn't have to be in Sport Mode. You could race with friends or make new friends in a league. You could set up a lobby and post it here for others to join you. I've met so many clean racers of varying skill level. I've had great races that no AI could ever come close to providing.

I really want to understand.

I sincerely am not trying to bash or be judgemental at all.

Here is an example of a race I had with a guy in a random lobby I joined. I still don't know who this guys is to this day but he was an absolute gentleman on the track and we raced intensely. It's a long video but just check out the last 10 minutes.

I just wonder if online will be seamless, as in joining a friend's GT League race. Would be something, should PD be able to pull that off.

GT Sport is the future for this franchise. PD have made it so easy to jump in and play. In GT6, I was solely offline, with maybe a few races online. Now, I'm balanced and I don't think about it. I just do races as I feel.

@RikkiGT-R Please don't take this the wrong way but I genuinely want to know...Why the aversion to on-line racing?

I won't take it the wrong way.

The truth is I'm very busy; work, family, wife, kids, business to run and so on. I find it hard to commit to any kind of organised racing online, and much prefer turning on my PlayStation or Xbox as and when I see fit/have the time, and just playing (GT or Forza) at my leisure.

I've played Gran Turismo since the day it was released in 1998 (when I was 17 years old), I've completed 1 through 4 multiple times, and have spent the past 14yrs or so playing GT4 on and off. I just love the non-linear playing style of starting off with nothing, buying a cheap every day car, winning a few credits, upgrading, winning more credits, buying more cars, and on and on. It's what I'm used to and it fits my lifestyle.

I'm not *against* online racing per se, I just prefer the offline single player experience :)

I won't take it the wrong way.

The truth is I'm very busy; work, family, wife, kids, business to run and so on. I find it hard to commit to any kind of organised racing online, and much prefer turning on my PlayStation or Xbox as and when I see fit/have the time, and just playing (GT or Forza) at my leisure.

I am the same, which is why i like GTS so much. You login and BAM there's three races to join, reasonably evenly matched, no need for lobbies. if you're gonna do organised lobbies i'd go project Cars Ii with far better cars and a far better driving experience.

To me, the concept of GTS is perfect, last night I got 4 races done in a little over an hour online, that's amazing.

I like a solid offline experience myself. I've only ran 20 Sport mode races, and that was a while back, and not a single FIA event. If it wasn't for racing with friends on Tuesday nights, I would never use the online part.

Sport mode will be here to stay. Should combine that with better single player experience.

Sport mode should be combined with a better Sport mode also.

PD should look at what Evolution did with DriveClub and really try to copy a lot of that. The single player events don't exactly feel like the "CarRPG" that the OP wants, but it's a much more satisfying single-player experience than what is in GTS. Running through the tournaments to unlock new cars, getting new paint colors, etc. felt like a much better progression system than what we have in GTS. Plus just the amount of content that was there. DriveClub also does a much better job integrating social elements with everything, even for offline in terms of friend leaderboard rankings.

I used to be a GT traditionalist. I've been playing since GT1 in 1998, and GT4 will likely always be my favorite in the series because of the nostalgia factor. I only did limited online racing in GT5/6 and preferred the single player experience. I could spend hours just hot lapping different cars at different tracks and be totally happy.

However, GTS was a game changer for me. Sport Mode has ruined GT League for me. Maybe GT League would be somewhat satisfying if the AI were at least competent, but I'd rather fight tooth and nail for 5th against other players than weave my way through the AI for an easy win. I've forced myself to finish Beginner and Amateur, I'm less than halfway through Professional, and I haven't done any Endurance (for some reason I'm compelled to do these events in order).

Work, family, and the Pacific timezone have made it impossible for me to compete in the FIA races (I generally don't have a chance to play until after 10 PM), but I think they're a great concept and I really enjoyed watching the championships.

When I want a break from racing, I've got the livery editor to occupy my time. It's a huge addition to the franchise for me and I really enjoy making custom liveries for my cars.

GTS will be the backbone for the future of GT. The GTS updates have mostly focused on adding traditional GT content, so there's no reason to assume that this merging of old and new won't continue into the next release. Nobody knows if that will be PS4, PS5, GTS2, GT7, or something else. At this point, it doesn't matter. GTS is a great game and it will continue to get better.

Kaz already said the next GT will bring back a more traditional GT game but with the added Sport component.

I wasn't even really into the idea of esports GT when it was first announced, but from the FIA events and streams we had, it works extremely well and was arguably more exciting to watch than recent real race events.

Now, i'll explain what i always wanted GT to evolve into.
I've been fascinated ever since i played my first MMORPG by the idea of a persistent online GT world of player, grinding from the humble kei car races up to the LM cars, selling each other parts(we want tuning back!), services (setups, personalized liveries, imagine giving your car to another player and wait for him to be done with the requested paintjob...), taking part to auctions etc, all supported by a clever economy system...kinda like a second life, but less stupid and 100% revolving around motorsport^^. I would love to get my twin turbo 1988Supra to the flea market to shop for parts, striking a deal on that muffler i was looking for and maybe sell those Nissan March parts i was keeping in the trunk, just in case i could find a buyer...
Hell, i would even use the typical NORTH SOUTH WEST EAST CITY map from good 'ol GT2 ^^
i know some ideas are very naive(online game's economies are very easily exploitable for real life profit and it would be a mess to mantain the server infrastructures of such title) and this is basically the wet dream of every gamer for any genre of videogame, but it would be pretty amazing to turn that solo grind (wich would be still cool and viable) into an online experience where my cr*p is somebody else's fortune and vice versa.

I never got into online racing until I played this game. After a handful of clean races in the Beta, I was hooked. I don't have much time to race so I only race online when there's a race with a less than 5 minute wait time from the moment I turn on my console. Most of the time I get a couple of races in before the kids hijack the TV and when there's no races available I just work my way through the campaign trying to beat each race withe the lowest powered car possible.

Either experience is fun though the online races can raise my heart rate from time to time.

Wrong assumption :boggled:
So if GT was ever to get as full and fat - as in expanding in it's lacking features, as well as holding onto it's new ones - as it was before, than you're implying you'd actually not like it? Hell, I don't know about anyone else, but if they can expand the car list, track list, offline segments and features, as well as hold onto the new direction that seems to be a hit, I think it'd be damn near amazing game.

Back