Is GT Sport the future of Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 95 comments
What I would like...

GT Sport can be used as a base to develop onto with circuits increased tree details with more planes like nurburgring. Some textures could remain.

Used Car dealership systems like GT5 with tune shop, Gt Auto. Also a Online Used car dealership with exclusives.

GT Auto Car servicng, if you buy a over mileages old car you can restore it... Can potentially break down and all.

Hidden cars, with turntable roulette... Can be winned after championships.

Special events, missions and Proper Licences used for career.

Basically a mix of GT games.

GT Sport is just the prologue for GT7.
Just as barebones as the other GT Prologue and Concept games.

Never bought a Concept/Prologue GT, but all I know is GTS seems like a prologue but it was full price so I suppose it’s a full game.

Online Sport mode/FIA focus is the future, the old games are dead they won’t come back. I’m waiting for being charged for open lobby access, sort of how iRacing charges a subscription.

Never bought a Concept/Prologue GT, but all I know is GTS seems like a prologue but it was full price so I suppose it’s a full game.

Online Sport mode/FIA focus is the future, the old games are dead they won’t come back. I’m waiting for being charged for open lobby access, sort of how iRacing charges a subscription.
So explain the success of Forza?
No way GT is ever moving to a subscription based model. The level of simulation in GT is none existent compared to I racing.

So explain the success of Forza?
No way GT is ever moving to a subscription based model. The level of simulation in GT is none existent compared to I racing.

You already need a subscription to PS Plus to play GTS online multiplayer.

I've been a GT player singe GT1.

Classic GTs are simply out-dated for me. Playing against the AI feels completely outdated so I say for such a game the future is online gaming, and playing against other opponents, and e-sports, not against a boring and predictable AI.

Ever since I first played GT5 online mode, I've put the offline mode in 2nd term completely.

GT Sport felt like a breathe of fresh air. And to be completely honest, it brought back the fun that was lacking after playing the PS3-era GTs. Last time I had much fun on a GT game was GT3.

I don't mind them bringing back GT Mode for the next GT game but at the same time after witnessing the success of the FIA GT Championships, I don't mind Sport Mode coming back either. I just like seeing both the traditional GT and GT Sport combining into one.

I feel like everyone 30-35+ prefers GT1-6 while everyone under 25-30 prefers GTS. It has a lot to do with what you grew up with. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 17. Social media didn't exist until I was basically done with high school. People who were raised online prefer online games. It's that simple.

Wrong. I'm the wrong side of 40 and a single player "traditional" GT is not option for me. Online is where it's at since GT5. I spent so much time in lobbies racing friends I'd met from meeting in the same rooms night after night. I longed for the day that we could just jump in without searching for rooms or waiting for trusted clean racers to get online to race, then came GTS.

I want to race. I want to jump in to a matchmaking system that can have me on the grid in 10 minutes. I want close, human competition.

I no longer want spoilers, body kits etc. Even tuning is less of an interest now. It's all about competing with real people and seeing how you stack up and GTS has it by the bucket load.

It is not perfect by any means, but it's on so very much the right track. The streamed events have been fantastic, especially for it's first year/season.

I understand some still want the traditional GT, but I don't think it's as easy as age being a demographic.

Edit: Forza is more casual and aimed at a broader audience. The viewing figures for their online events didn't get to 5 digits. Not as photo realistic, easier to play with horrible online. I do not want GT mimicking Forza in any way shape or form. If you like forzas features, play forza. Let GTS burn a new trail.

Last edited:
Wrong. I'm the wrong side of 40 and a single player "traditional" GT is not option for me. Online is where it's at since GT5. I spent so much time in lobbies racing friends I'd met from meeting in the same rooms night after night. I longed for the day that we could just jump in without searching for rooms or waiting for trusted clean racers to get online to race, then came GTS.

I want to race. I want to jump in to a matchmaking system that can have me on the grid in 10 minutes. I want close, human competition.

I no longer want spoilers, body kits etc. Even tuning is less of an interest now. It's all about competing with real people and seeing how you stack up and GTS has it by the bucket load.

It is not perfect by any means, but it's on so very much the right track. The streamed events have been fantastic, especially for it's first year/season.

I understand some still want the traditional GT, but I don't think it's as easy as age being a demographic.

Edit: Forza is more casual and aimed at a broader audience. The viewing figures for their online events didn't get to 5 digits. Not as photo realistic, easier to play with horrible online. I do not want GT mimicking Forza in any way shape or form. If you like forzas features, play forza. Let GTS burn a new trail.
I agree with mostly everything except it would be nice that you can still add body kits and spoilers to the car, but I guess it would make everything more complex to develop.
Also tuning (as in car setup) its still as important as ever.

I agree with mostly everything except it would be nice that you can still add body kits and spoilers to the car, but I guess it would make everything more complex to develop.
Also tuning (as in car setup) its still as important as ever.

There's a tuning discussion thread already but I don't believe it belongs in Sport. GTS is built around plug and play racing, not chasing setup. GTS is filling a hole in the market and if they can finally balance car setups so they are all viable, there's no need to tune (cars will always suit some tracks more than others). If you want in depth setup, along with tyre temps/pressures there's Pcars and AC. If you want tons of customisation there's Forza. None of these titles have anything like the plug and play public matchmaking that GTS has.

As I say, setup is a discussion for another thread.

You can't have a huge offline mode like the past GTs and have at the same time a GTS sportmode. They work against each other. If they want a online sportsmode system what works, they need player numbers. You cannot achieve that with offering a super duper offline campain mode at the same time.

You can't have a huge offline mode like the past GTs and have at the same time a GTS sportmode. They work against each other. If they want a online sportsmode system what works, they need player numbers. You cannot achieve that with offering a super duper offline campain mode at the same time.
Why?

Because players would be tempted to spend their time mainly with the offline campain rather playing online.
Plenty of people are doing that now, myself included.

Even during the first beta, you were able to do Arcade races, and PD shut it down, because people were only playing that. The fact is, there are a lot of people out there, that don't hold online to the same high regard as others. I have nothing against online, or people that want it, but that alone is not enough, for me anyway.

Because players would be tempted to spend their time mainly with the offline campain rather playing online.
So plenty of people will play the game they made? That's a reason why it shouldn't be done? I'm really not understanding that.

But the online racing is so super duper isn't it, why would those that are apparently loving the online racing suddenly stop doing it! :confused: ;) :rolleyes:

I have loved every GT game since the first GT (bought as a Japanese import, and then bought again on the UK release) and have spent many many months on the games over the years. I bought a PS4 for GTSport, and it isn't the game I was hoping for. I don't race online, and have more interest in a large single player game. So that is what I would like in a future GT game, however I understand the appeal of the online aspect even if it is not for me, but there is no reason why a game can't have both aspects within its design, and maybe even something new. As I don't use the online racing mode, those that were not interested need not use the 'career' mode. I imagine there would be lots that would do both though. ;)

If a GT game on the 'PS5' is of a similar design to GTSport I doubt that, or a new Playstation, may be in my future.

According to kudosprime around 75% of people didn't bother with sports mode, and those who did and stuck around the number is more like 10% than 25%. GT League, which doesn't take much work to implement (its a few pictures and custom races) could have been in at launch but was left out on purpose to focus people on racing online, and once PD saw whatever more accurate numbers they had their end the GT League mode was hastily added.

On a bigger scale I can see the same thing happening with their games releases. There is room for a GT7 and GTS 2, with the first having loads of offline competitions and fun arcade online races (like DriveClub with different modes and short races on random tracks, no fuel and tyre wear), and the second being a fleshed out version of GTS with online race spectating, FIA championship and leagues (one makes, endurance, nations league) manufacturer exclusive competitons etc. They could share a lot of assets, and have a bundle deal - imagine it like the arcade and sim discs from GT2.

At this point, there's really know reason that they can't have both for the next iteration. There's already a great foundation for the online component to be improved upon, so maybe they can put more focus into the offline aspect.

According to kudosprime around 75% of people didn't bother with sports mode, and those who did and stuck around the number is more like 10% than 25%. GT League, which doesn't take much work to implement (its a few pictures and custom races) could have been in at launch but was left out on purpose to focus people on racing online, and once PD saw whatever more accurate numbers they had their end the GT League mode was hastily added.

On a bigger scale I can see the same thing happening with their games releases. There is room for a GT7 and GTS 2, with the first having loads of offline competitions and fun arcade online races (like DriveClub with different modes and short races on random tracks, no fuel and tyre wear), and the second being a fleshed out version of GTS with online race spectating, FIA championship and leagues (one makes, endurance, nations league) manufacturer exclusive competitons etc. They could share a lot of assets, and have a bundle deal - imagine it like the arcade and sim discs from GT2.
Only 25% of players have completed 41-60% of the campaign mode the numbers don’t look great whichever way you look at it, whilst thats not a measurement of gt league I cant imgaine its that much bigger,

I guess the telling figure is that only 11% of players have passed level 30.

There's a tuning discussion thread already but I don't believe it belongs in Sport. GTS is built around plug and play racing, not chasing setup. GTS is filling a hole in the market and if they can finally balance car setups so they are all viable, there's no need to tune (cars will always suit some tracks more than others). If you want in depth setup, along with tyre temps/pressures there's Pcars and AC. If you want tons of customisation there's Forza. None of these titles have anything like the plug and play public matchmaking that GTS has.

As I say, setup is a discussion for another thread.
I think in general the default car setups are rubbish and ruin it for me, thats why I'd rather play in rooms with setup customization

GT Sport is just the prologue for GT7.
Just as barebones as the other GT Prologue and Concept games.

Except GTS was a full price game (even more expensive than GT6) and GT5Pro was a lower priced game that reflected its lack of content.

The focus seems to be esports, but I wonder how many iterations without any significant improvement to penalty detection it is going to take before the base wakes up to the fact that racing without proper rules and stewards is no better than a soccer game that can't detect players picking up the ball and running with it..?

But when Kudosprime's stats indicate that 77% of game buyers have never played even ONE online race, and 89% of purchasers haven't played the game for at least 7 days, it makes you wonder why PD bother at all! 90% of the gargantuan effort for barely 10% of the customers, when is that ever good business sense?

If the vast majority of purchasers are playing offline if at all, why not go back to the old GT model? Tons of offline content, AI so bad that the 77% who don't think they should race online at all aren't humiliated by alien AI!

There ARE other games out there that cater (and much better) to the tiny percentage that play online, that appear to be the majority that post here going by the focus of most of the posts. Maybe it's time PD acknowledge their TRUE base, not the esports nuts, and abandon the mode and go back to what always made them the market leader (by acknowledging that online and esports is a tiny niche market) and give us simply a hi-def GT4...

old-el-paso-taco-girl.jpg

But when Kudosprime's stats indicate that 77% of game buyers have never played even ONE online race, and 89% of purchasers haven't played the game for at least 7 days, it makes you wonder why PD bother at all! 90% of the gargantuan effort for barely 10% of the customers, when is that ever good business sense?

Pro tip: Half of PS4 owners don't even have a PS+ subscription. Straight away, an appreciable amount of GT Sport acquirers can't play one online race.

Get this. Something like only 25% of GTAV owners have completed the single player campaign. And that's the #1 selling media item of all time, plus, it doesn't require a PS+ subscription to play.

The majority of video games are purchased, played minimally, and shelved. The devoted players will always be the minority. Stats like these are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Pro tip: Half of PS4 owners don't even have a PS+ subscription. Straight away, an appreciable amount of GT Sport acquirers can't play one online race.

Get this. Something like only 25% of GTAV owners have completed the single player campaign. And that's the #1 selling media item of all time, plus, it doesn't require a PS+ subscription to play.

The majority of video games are purchased, played minimally, and shelved. The devoted players will always be the minority. Stats like these are to be taken with a grain of salt.
To be perfectly fair, you can do Sport Races without PS+ subscription.

It is "only" needed for lobby races.

The online vs offline discussion is interesting.

Until GTS, I was in the offline camp. I play frequently - but for short amounts of time. Offline suited, because I could pick an event and play. Do a couple of races and then get on with the rest of my life. AI wasn't great, but then neither were the human players.

I now play sport mode 95% of the time. You still can come access some terrible racers with awful attitudes. You have to cope with somebody wrecking your race from time to time. But then, and I am embarrassed to admit it - I've missed braking points or miscalculated overtaking opportunities. I'm sorry. However, more often than not, the quality of the racing in sport mode is really good fun. Occasionally, it is awesome.

I only use offline to build credits if a sport mode race (that I want to do) isn't due to start in the next 15 mins. But, to enjoy sport mode you either need to be calm when others aren't, and/or to qualify really well. But I never qualify, cause I enjoy seeing how far I can work my way up through the field. I almost always have far more fun this way. It is even funny how desperate some players are to hang onto 12th or 14th place!!

Just enjoy the game.

Something like only 25% of GTAV owners have completed the single player campaign. And that's the #1 selling media item of all time, plus, it doesn't require a PS+ subscription to play.

That's depressing. What happened in the last 10 years to make people hate single-player games? Maybe I'm just antisocial, but playing anything online frustrates me. You're up against people who don't have jobs or responsibilities and have time to master every little aspect.

Back