Status
Not open for further replies.

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
That's the question, and even though it's a question, it still deserves discussion in the main thread as it's a topic that involves us all. Rather than a game inspired question, this is more like a debate.

As such, there are rules.

1. This isn't Forza, won't be Forza, and shouldn't be concerned with Forza. Thus, go play Forza and keep your Forza outta our debate. We know, we just don't care. For the terms of this debate, Forza is off limits and offers no direct comparison. In case you still haven't got it yet, keep Forza outta this.

2. This is a debate. Keep your insults/personal attacks in the PMs, or better yet off this site entirely. Debate with educated opinions, not fantasies or baseless speculation. If you're gonna speculate, at least have facts/news to back you up, and provide links.

3. We realize 6 is in the works, but the overall question is how much longer 5 will continue to remain strong until 6 comes out. GT6 isn't coming out this year, and we don't even have whiff of a trailer for it yet. Will PD continue with Seasonals, UCD updates, software updates until 6, or are we almost out of steam, and it's in it's final days?

Now, to add to this debate, lets remember that the CE codes for the Stealths expire December 31, 2012... pretty soon. Will PD give us cookies, like said Stealths and Chrome Lines, or will we be left with crumbs until 6 comes out.

Is this the GT5 Apocalypse?

Please also keep in mind that any post may be used as part of GTPodcast, as this topic will be the focus of the next NA episode.

Absolutely, It's been dying for along time now.

So many other games have been released since GT5 and people move on to other things.

Yes the GT series was built on games made for the long haul but GT5 never had that aspect. I still know people who play GT4 because it was just so deep and nearly impossible to finish everything.

GT5 is a shell of it's previous games and it just doesn't have the content for long term strength to carry it on all the way to GT6.

GT5's strongest aspect is peoples love of cars. As a game GT5 is very shallow and if you don't love cars and find new cars to enjoy throughout your time you will get very bored very fast because as a video game GT5 fails, but as a place for car lovers to go and enjoy vehicles they would not be able to drive irl it works.

That is all GT5 is now.

Last edited:
It's been dying since last year or so, GT5 was an incomplete game. My cousin HATES this game.

Anyone care to explain why they feel this way?

Don't get me wrong, we're happy with the opinions, but also interested in the "why".

For instance, I think the continued Seasonals, and recent price drop, are both indicators that this game will be around until 6 comes out. Online play certainly helps, and you may also recall that the Prologue servers where shut down well after 5s release.

As a game, GT5 is dying. Yes, there have been updates, but they are starting to distance themselves. Not much new content has been announced, aside from the BRZ DLC, but overall, I think PD has finally shifted most of their focus on GT6, which is a good thing.

As as sim, though, and especially if you can't afford a new PC for iRacing and the other PC sims, I think GT5 is still in the game. Sure it's far from iRacing, but it's one of the best on consoles. For me, my recent game sessions with GT5 is only for the driving.

Im gonna say its been dead for some time now. All we been getting are rehash of Nissan and countless updates of GT-R. The DLC "new" cars are uninspiring. Where the competition are getting brand new cars, ie 2013 Vipers, we just got a new GT-R today. There's nothing new with the online challenges. You start in 12th place and you have X numbers of lap to make a 30+ seconds deficate. I still play now and then because its a fun game, but not to the same level as GT4.

The game is dying in the aspect of not that many play it now, compared to 2011. Less lobbys, the game's not "new" anymore, etc.
But, I think that the most hardcore, and by that, also best and most dedicated players are still around, keeping the quality up in the racing series department at least.

So imo, it seems to be dying in numbers, but not in quality.
It seems to me like the public lobbys are more and more filled with good drivers and races, in contradiction to how it was in the early days.

The game is dying in the aspect of not that many play it now, compared to 2011. Less lobbys, the game's not "new" anymore, etc.
But, I think that the most hardcore, and by that, also best and most dedicated players are still around, keeping the quality up in the racing series department at least.

So imo, it seems to be dying in numbers, but not in quality.
It seems to me like the public lobbys are more and more filled with good drivers and races, in contradiction to how it was in the early days.

I still see noobs everywhere tho. I don't think the quality is better now tbh.

First of all 90% of people online now are either in drag rooms or cruising in honda civics on SS7. It is nearly impossible to find good race rooms on different tracks because noone searches them for actual racing anymore.

You will find the odd shuffle race and the Ring has a couple free run lobbies but the GT5 community is so focused into a fish bowl of 3 tracks that it makes it very hard to have meaningful racing anymore.

If you don't care for drag racing or cruising hondas your going to be hard pressed to find busy areas online.

I still see noobs everywhere tho. I don't think the quality is better now tbh.

First of all 90% of people online now are either in drag rooms or cruising in honda civics on SS7. It is nearly impossible to find good race rooms on different tracks because noone searches them for actual racing anymore.

You will find the odd shuffle race and the Ring has a couple free run lobbies but the GT5 community is so focused into a fish bowl of 3 tracks that it makes it very hard to have meaningful racing anymore.

If you don't care for drag racing or cruising hondas your going to be hard pressed to find busy areas online.

That's not my experiance. Sure, you can see a lot of drag rooms etc. But the rooms that actually race (In the "proper" way) are to a larger degree filled with good racers compared to how it was from launch -> around spring 2012.

It is only dead if you want it to be dead. For me, the game won't die unless the disc won't play in my PS3.

We get Seasonal Events each week from PD,
even though a little boring & unthoughtful they are still updated.

Nearly 2 years after release, we get another update,
name one PS3 driving/racing game that has ever done that.

Online community I have no idea about, I normally race only with my friends,
and that is limited.

Dying is a weird word to use. It's more do you still have the want to play GT5. For me I did everything a long time ago and what is left can't be beat by me or takes to long like endurance. There is never enough events or challenges. I remember the old games they had main races and special dealer events. Plus they were hard while the restrictions on all these are eaaaaasy. Now a days I like to get cars and design them to look like real cars I have seen. Just bought a infinity G35 and painted it a gloss red with black hood and rims. Slammed it and big exhaust with a small spoiler and it looks exactly like something you might see a person on the street do.

it's been dead for more than a year, online was keeping it alive for a while but now the only people online are die hard GT5ers.

Even though the online is really active, I think the game is dying. The game itself is flawed and PD has made some poor decisions with this iteration that have driven people away from it. Patches don't seem to fix the more annoying stuff in the game. And probably the biggest drawback GT5 has (being a car game), is the sound department. Engines are terrible and exhaust mod results are worse. Few things are as important as sound in a game centered solely around cars.

So this relates to the game dying because I play it a lot less now. So to me, it's the beginning of the end of our relationship, per se.

Nearly 2 years after release, we get another update,
name one PS3 driving/racing game that has ever done that.
Burnout Paradise.

If only we could get paid $1 for every thread that appears where people complain after receiving game updates and content, we would be millionaires. Every game has its life cycle, I don't see why GT5 is any different.

It's been nearly 2 years since GT5 released, and it seems to me pretty normal for a game to "die" after being out for that long. The fanbase is expecting something new, but at least they still offering us updates and DLC's.

But it's time to move on GT6 imho.

gt 5 is plenty alive .. Sure there are not many online ..Who cares.. i have just finished the expert series.. The online challenges are tough.. Thats how i like it .. gives me a good challenge....

I used to not play gt5 after a couple months from when I got it. Until I found out about online. LoL. I seriously never knew about online. But, now after a while. I believe that GT5 is slowly dying. Online is what is mostly stopping it. Other than online it's the little dlc's, and seasonal event updates. I agree with Turnip (post #13) and Impreza (post #14).

Good feedback, and interesting points brought up. Keep up the good work, guys. 👍

For me it is. There's nothing in the game that attracts me any more, I've done all the A-Spec events that I wanted to, B-Spec is dull, the online can be a horrible experience, I can spend 10-15 minutes just looking for a room. And like many others, my eye has been caught by games like F1 2012, and next year Project Cars. Games that look a lot more interesting than a game that's been with us for two years.

Dying? What kind of a question is that? What does "dying" mean in this case?. It's a game that was released almost two years ago. It's still getting updates and DLC. By dying, do you mean it's gotten boring to you? In that case, for me it died many times. You get bored, don't play for a while, then play again when you feel like it. You know, just like every other game. It's like asking is MGS4 dying? Actually GT is one of the games that people can play for a couple of years relatively regularly, while most other games last for maybe a month or two at most (but even that doesn't mean they're dying). Do you realize it's normal to get bored of a game, or did some of you buy GT5 thinking it will entertain you non-stop for decades?

GT is a game that doesn't have a story to play through, it's a game where you drive a car around a track when you feel like it. I don't play for weeks, then I might see a race on TV or something that puts me in the mood for racing so I play GT until I get bored again. And that's the way it goes. And GT as a series definitely isn't dying. So I guess that's the best answer i can give.

OHM_fusion
By dying, do you mean it's gotten boring to you? In that case, for me it died many times.

GT is a game that doesn't have a story to play through, it's a game where you drive a car around a track when you feel like it. I don't play for weeks, then I might see a race on TV or something that puts me in the mood for racing so I play GT until I get bored again.

My thoughts almost exactly

My thoughts almost exactly

OHM_Fusion put it well. 👍

I'd say it's popularity with the young gamers is dying/has died. The set that are always looking for the latest & greatest. For people who love driving, I think it is still very much alive. As a petrol head, I'll play it for years to come, even if there's no more online. You might ask the same question of GT4. People still play the game, so is it dead?

Well for me the game "died" already, yes. Because I bought it on it's release. It didn't take me too much time to complete nearly everything. B-Spec is kind of a no-go for me because in my eyes its useless and waste of time. So what else I have left? Maybe Online, but I spent there already many hours and it's not really attractive to me anymore. I have every Premium car and nearly all the standarts except all the Skyline and MX5 versions. Furthermore I bought all DLC's but they didnt hook me up for too long. So whats left now?! Nothing really anymore. The selection of cars isn't interesting because it's really outdated and I've driven my favourite cars already too much. Others either ruined by weird sound or are standarts which I don't like because of the lack of cockpit view. So I moved on to other racing games and enjoy them now until GT6 comes out. I just played the latest Seasonals, but it wasn't really exciting anymore after playing all the other games.

In my honest opinion, GT5 is more dead than GT2, mainly because you now absolutely must have all the DLC to have just a tiny bit of fun online, which is the only fun part as the AI seems to have drawn it's license in a candy dispencer. B-Spec is good in the theory but making B-Spec events 2x longer than A-Spec is a big no-no. And you can't really use them for anything. And the cars. The lovely cars that are divided Premium/Standard. I wouldn't give a f-word had all cars had a reasonable cockpit and a fair bit of details, say around 50.000-100.000 polygons (Kaz said GT4 cars were 5.000 polygons IIRC and GT5 Premium are 500.000(!!)) and if there wasn't 50 Mazdas and Civics that were identical bar the regional name. Ferrari and Lamborghini coming to the series were good but we've dealt without them before. And most of the cars in GT5 can be driven in any other game. To compare to GT2, had we heard of RUF, Vector, Venturi, Tommikaria etc. if they weren't in GT2? No, because they were nowhere else to be found. What GT is missing is more equal-in-detail cars, more special/GT only cars, and the ability to not have to release DLC to keep the game alive. DLC basically does nothing but making a game feel less complete because then people start making even higher requests.

Rage over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back