Is GT6 already completed? (title edited)

• Thread starter ccjcc81
  • 155 comments
I can agree. I'm thinking about buying Richard Burns Rally, which was made in 2004(?) and costs $9, all because the internet says its physics are more realistic than the silly Dirts that are coming out lately.

That's all nice but it's not the most important to me. More cars on track is something more important and that's not a graphical thing, per se. What I want to see is advances in AI, physics, animation etc. There are plenty of games I enjoy which look awful compared to current games. Graphics isn't everything.

@ MadBullBunny

Looking back at the jump between GT3 and GT4 I think Gran Turismo 5 was capable of far more than even Kaz himself says.

If that is then they need to hire some people from Naughty Dog to give them tips seriously cause that's a disappointment.
Doesn't seem logical to think that.

Unlike, for example, the time constraints which forced the development team to reduce the 650 cars of Gran Turismo 2 (released two full years after GT1) for PlayStation to just over 150 for Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (released one and a half years after GT2) for PS2. For reference, consider this: the last game for the PS2, GT4 (released three and a half years after GT3), had more than 700 cars and 51 race courses."

and...

PSM3: Have you started work on GT6?

Kazunori Yamauchi: There were a lot of things we couldn't include in 5 that will carry over into 6, so in that respect, development has already started.

PSM3: Will the engine sounds be improved over time?

Kazunori Yamauchi: There have been a lot of improvements made to the engine sounds. Obviously it's not enough, there's more we can do to improve them, so it's still work in progress.

PSM3: Will the game run at a rock-steady 60fps?

Kazunori Yamauchi: This is a major issue for us in GT5.
Our engineers complain every day: 'Isn't it enough that it's in 1080p? Does it have to be 60fps too?' But I think 60fps is very important, so we're working towards perfecting that. There might be times when you have a certain combination of conditions that come together, especially with the weather effects; the game might briefly drop from 60fps, and for that i beg your forgiveness! If you're going from a standing start at number 16 and all 15 cars in front of you are kicking up water, there might not be 60fps at that moment.

GT5 is like made by engineers that forgot to add the actual game into their "simulation"

in a nutshell.
👍

Doesn't seem logical to think that.
They've already completely redone the lighting engine for GT5 twice, with a marked improvement both times. They've also managed to make the game run better on certain tracks by optimizing the graphics that are displayed under certain situations.

I think it's perfectly logical to think that the next game having a fresh start knowing what their limitations are rather than trying to backport them into GT5 when it turns out they overstepped what they were capable of could very easily make for a notably better looking (or at least better performing) game.

Mad4missiles
Ps4 has not even been announced by Sony yet so I'd say it's at least 2 year before we even get a release date so I recon gt6 will be a ps3 title

I doubt that. I think they'll announce the PS4 in 2013 or early 2014.

Yep, more concerned with it looking pretty than playing well. I hate these threads because it always reminds me that however smart the developers are, they still have difficulty with making things "user friendly," or worse still, implementing what so many fans are asking for.
Would you rather 40fps or 60fps, if the difference meant a realistic AI and 20 more cars on the track?

Maybe I am way off in my estimation of people, though.

@ brycepunk

Given that type of question I'd take 40fps I'm not a big fan of 60fps in some games, but if taking 40fps means more cars like 28 on track at once, better A.I, more tracks etc. I'm all for that.

They've already completely redone the lighting engine for GT5 twice, with a marked improvement both times. They've also managed to make the game run better on certain tracks by optimizing the graphics that are displayed under certain situations.

I think it's perfectly logical to think that the next game having a fresh start knowing what their limitations are rather than trying to backport them into GT5 when it turns out they overstepped what they were capable of could very easily make for a notably better looking (or at least better performing) game.
I read it a bit wrong. I only thought about the possibility of doing it better in the time that they had. Definitely, I see GT5 can improve on the PS3. Just how much though?

I noticed that the visibility of the skidmarks last a whole lot longer than before. Smoke seems to last longer too.

A reasoning I had before was that they spent 6 years on GT5 and I couldn't see it improving enough after that. I guess I just haven't thought about it for some time.

Skate 2 was one I remember as I still own it. It's a fun game it's just it kind of starting getting creepy with how real everything looked I turned it back to 30 FPS.

I think the Call of Duty franchise also uses 60 fps. But especially in racing games you see and feel the difference. A GT or Forza in 30 fps wouldnt be the same at all. It is amazing how they got GT5 running that good at 60 fps now. Before the patches there were some frame rate problems and other stuff.

It is important even when you dont notice it directly. A side by side comparision of a 30 fps version of GT5 to the normal one would help. I wonder how GT5 would look with 30 fps, when you see the change from FM4 to Horizon, when they went down to 30 fps there, the difference would be big.

GT6 should have 60 fps. Maybe they even try to get 120 fps with a GT on the next console. Most 3D tvs have over 120hz and would benefit from it.

GT6 should have 60 fps. Maybe they even try to get 120 fps with a GT on the next console. Most 3D tvs have over 120hz and would benefit from it.
You have Hz mixed up. None of mainstream 3D TVs accept 120 Hz input. They just generate 120Hz from 60Hz with vector interpolation for the panel.

Just speculating, and I want to see if anyone else has an opinion similar to mine. What does tl;dr mean? I like your sig line.

too long didn't read, its from reddit.com bascially shortening a long story..

gt1 was done.
gt2 was done.
gt3 as done.
gt4 was done.
gt5 wasn't.

one game was unfinished. one game. that doesn't necessarily mean GT6 won't be finished. plus you don't know if gt6 is done or not, unless you know something we don't.

Gran Turismo 2 was not really finished, it was supposed to include drag racing and had bugs in it that
1. You couldn't complete 100% of the game just 98.2%
2. Using Machine Test would wipe your garage clean
3. The game still had various graphical glitches that at a certain angle you could drive a car into another.
It was fixed in the second version of the original release and refined in the greatest hits version.

jabofu

60 FPS in games are enough. They should add more cars on track or spend the Power of the console for more complex AI and physics.

60 FPS in games are enough. They should add more cars on track or spend the Power of the console for more complex AI and physics.

I can fully agree with you. I have never understood the way Sony is pushing to the extreme technology. Always end up in high prices. Like the HMZ-T1 Head-Mounted Display, 800 € gadget that might have costed a fortune to develope. Then they wonder why they get such losses in the tech area.

When they try to enter quad full hd with the PS4, then the estimated PS4-power at the moment would be lost for resolution only. Quad full hd will be 3840x2160p and a current pc game needs atleast two or three high end grafic cards to process it. And how we all know Sony, they might hop on this train again like some mad technophiles.

I hope they dont push quad full hd in GT6 like they used to with 3D in GT5.

I've always though of Odd numbered GT games as the base game and then evened numbers is the true power of system it's on.

If GT5 is the best PD can do with the PS3 then I've lost a good bit of faith in them cause it really does make them look bad considering what other games have done even those not in the same genre.

Like I said PD needs some lessons from Naughty Dog or something.

@ jabofu

That's another thing I'm scared about people saying Sony already got the Blu-ray inside PS3 and that's what made it so expensive when the reality is it was that plus the Cell and among other things included at first.

I can see Sony making the same mistake twice they've already made countless mistakes in this era of gaming.

jabofu
I can fully agree with you. I have never understood the way Sony is pushing to the extreme technology. Always end up in high prices. Like the HMZ-T1 Head-Mounted Display, 800 € gadget that might have costed a fortune to develope. Then they wonder why they get such losses in the tech area.

When they try to enter quad full hd with the PS4, then the estimated PS4-power at the moment would be lost for resolution only. Quad full hd will be 3840x2160p and a current pc game needs atleast two or three high end grafic cards to process it. And how we all know Sony, they might hop on this train again like some mad technophiles.

I hope they dont push quad full hd in GT6 like they used to with 3D in GT5.

Sry but what has that to do with my post???

I only talked about 60 FPS are enough, because someone talked about 120 FPS.
I mean they shouldn't target 120 FPS on the PS4. They should use the hardware for other stuff. For example complex physics.

I didn't talked about hardware. I talked about how they should use the Power of the hardware.

Zuku
I can see Sony making the same mistake twice they've already made countless mistakes in this era of gaming.

Blu-Ray isn't a problem anymore. I think they learned something, because they solved the RAM problem with the Vita.

I assume that they'll not use the Cell anymore

120fps is needed for 3D gaming, 60fps per eye.
Obviously with options, if you did not have 3D TV you would have 60fps but with either higher resolution or detail.

I mean they shouldn't target 120 FPS on the PS4. They should use the hardware for other stuff. For example complex physics.

I didn't talked about hardware. I talked about how they should use the Power of the hardware.

Blu-Ray isn't a problem anymore. I think they learned something, because they solved the RAM problem with the Vita.

My first sentence was about how I completely agreed to what you have said.

120fps is needed for 3D gaming, 60fps per eye.
Obviously with options, if you did not have 3D TV you would have 60fps but with either higher resolution or detail.

Exactly, but it could be used to display GT in 120 fps without 3D and the 60 fps with 3D.

Judging by my experience with my POS computer, PD is probably right. I've had to scale back shadows and smoke effects due to lack of power. But, fact is:

We don't know.

Maybe the PS3 isn't being pushed to the limit like Kaz said? Maybe the PS3 is running at its stable limit? Only way we'll know is if a worker speaks out or if PD finally gets a bit more social.

Well I'm talking about some other mistakes they made like all these different SKU's they've released those type of mistakes, and excluding certain features just to cheapen the price of said SKU.

How can GT6 be complete if GT5 is not anywhere near complete? GT6 wont be out anytime within the 5-6 years. Sure as heck wont be out on the PS3. Or I mean it shouldnt be out on the PS3. Confused how this thread even started.

When they finish converting all 800 standard cars to premium cars they will call that GT6. And thats many years from now. Just isnt going to happen on the PS3.

CAMAROBOY69
When they finish converting all 800 standard cars to premium cars they will call that GT6. And thats many years from now. Just isnt going to happen on the PS3.

You can wait forever if you think they'll make all 800 standard cars Premium ;)

Yeah. We get it.

But you're right: It isn't going to happen on the PS3. Mostly because it isn't going to happen at all. Unless GT6 has Standard cars again, it isn't going to have the count that GT5 had.

of course it is completed. They are trolling us, just like they did with GT5 (kaz giggling for 3 years)
Don't forget GTPSP. That was done in time for the PSP launch, but Kaz was all "meh."

I'm not waiting around for 800 standards to be turned into premiums.

I'll take my GT6 on PS3 in 2013 or 2014 which ever is better even if PS4 is out.

Zuku
I'm not waiting around for 800 standards to be turned into premiums.

I'll take my GT6 on PS3 in 2013 or 2014 which ever is better even if PS4 is out.

I doubt that they'll release GT6 on PS3 after the PS4 is released.

I think we will see the PS4 holiday 2013 or 2014. That means GT6 on PS3 only if they release it 2013.

Sony wants to announce 2 new games on the Gamescom in germany.

Toronado
But you're right: It isn't going to happen on the PS3. Mostly because it isn't going to happen at all. Unless GT6 has Standard cars again, it isn't going to have the count that GT5 had.

Indeed. I don't want all standard cars become premium, because i prefer new cars for the series including current street cars, new manufacture and new race series.

Back