Is GT6 too easy?

United Kingdom
London
No, I'm not having a go at anyone.

Dumb AI aside, there isn't one event in the game which I personally found difficult. The super license tests for example can be golded by 2 or 3 seconds in some cases. What happened to the good old days of driving the wheels off your car searching for that extra half a tenth here or there?

Here's hoping that the Vettel X Challenge is as hard if not harder than it was on GT5... this coming from a frustrated DS3 user.

Thoughts?

Dumb AI aside, there isn't one event in the game which I personally found difficult. The license tests for example can be golded by 2 or 3 seconds in some cases. What happened to the good old days of driving the wheels off your car searching for that extra half a tenth here or there?

Here's hoping that the Vettel X Challenge is as hard if not harder than it was on GT5... this coming from a frustrated DS3 user.

Thoughts?
Your just that good. I think your so good that you can take on a 600pp race with a 300pp car and still win. Your so good that we aren't even going to have a GT Academy because you are the preordained winner. Personally when the races were to easy I started making them more challenging by using cars that wouldn't dominate the competition.

Give it a shot!!!

I think the majority of GT6 players will find it challenging enough. For the rest of us, there’re the Seasonals; I feel I’m decently skilled (DS3), and they have been challenging enough (the Alfa MiTo time trial, good god…). The game is perfectly fair for what it is. If you’re the minority of players (and I do think it can be considered a minority) good enough that the single-player is too casual, you have some Seasonals and Multiplayer (this is probably all you really should want anyway, right?). Honestly, what is so difficult about understanding the purpose behind the game and its elements?

I think another way of looking at it is, were the previous games too hard? By that I mean inconsistently difficult in certain license tests or challenges like the Alfa 8C. I know a challenge is a good thing, but I did find some parts of the previous GT games to be bordering on the weird :sly:

GT6 despite being easy on the face of it, can be made challenging, as has been said, plus the balance of it has made the game fairer, I feel.

So on balance, yes it is easier, but better if you set the challenges levels yourself...if that makes sense.

Well, to be honest, I think the majority of the hardcore GT fans will find GT6 to be the easiest GT to date. I've never finished or have seen so many 100% or rather 101% so fast compared to last generation of Gran Turismo. Races have become shorter, racing series no longer expands to 10 races, license gold times have become much easier, and mission races are no where as hard as GT4. Add to the fact that the A.I. mysteriously slows down on the last lap in some races, giving you a chance to win if you've spun out 2 or 3 times.

Also, NEVER should a stock Evo III be able to beat a Nissan GTR being the lead car.

Dumb AI aside, there isn't one event in the game which I personally found difficult. The super license tests for example can be golded by 2 or 3 seconds in some cases. What happened to the good old days of driving the wheels off your car searching for that extra half a tenth here or there?

Thoughts?

Every aspect of this game outside of online, is geared towards the very casual or new-to-the-series user. To make it challenging you have to downgrade tires and your cars performance to the point where it would be a joke if it were a real life race but it works on GT because it's not a race, it's actually a time trial with moving pylons. The focus for any real competition for drivers with even moderate skills is online and moving forward that will increasingly be the focus of the GT series. It's a huge mistake on PD's part, given there are 1.25+ million copies of the game out there and only a handful of online lobbies open at any one time indicating a huge preference for offline play.

Way too easy to complete all the races! Now I'm waiting for the rest of the X Challenge - it's the "X factor" that could get things challenging, especially the Sebastian Vettel fan car challenge...watch out and probably study the video before ever running the fan car...

For me, the GT series difficulty as a whole has (almost) always been defined by the player. I have a choice in taking the best possible car for the event and win by a landslide, or I can take a drastically slower car and win by a hair.

The choice it made by the player's free will, and I like that.

Sure the license times required for Gold are easier, but the real challenge this time around comes with the addtion of friend leaderboards. Find some really good players from the forums, then add them on PSN try to beat their times on the license tests. Then it won't be so easy.

In my opinion, yes, GT6 is super easy and seems to be geared toward the casual/lesser skilled player. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but I was just expecting a bit more after some of the harder challenges/license tests in GT5. I remember spending days, sometimes weeks just to beat some of the license tests/ challenges in GT5. Now, with GT6, after playing it for 3 weeks and I've already got Platinum, yea, I would say things are extremely easier. There is no way I have improved that much as a driver to be able to run through the game like that. But, after having said all this, it really doesn't bother me all that much because about 99% of my time is dedicated to the WRS and Seasonal TT's anyway.....that's where the fun and challenges are for me. I'm sure other's will have a different opinion and outlook of the game and that is fine and I respect that, but the question was asked, so I gave you my view.

Too easy for a long time GT series fan? Probably
Too easy for a beginner/casual who just got into the game? No

I would agree and even for some of us who have played GT in the past it is not too easy unless you over do it with the cars you use. I found that when I first came back to GT after playing Forza that while the tests weren't to difficult they were hard enough that I had to try a few times on many of them. I also found that after playing for a couple of weeks I could go back and get gold on the first try on most of them so I would think that for those who have been playing GT5 for the last 3 years some of them would seem very easy and for those who are playing their first racing game they probably seem impossible.

Personally I think they are fine as they are, I do not want to have to keep weaving in and out of cones for a hour to move on to the next race, same for all the tests. Any experienced driver should be able to bronze them in 1-3 tries or at least the first couple of levels and should be able to get gold in a few minutes on most of them. If they were harder than that then a lot of the first timers would have loads of trouble and may just give up on the game before they get into it very far.

GT5 the tests were harder but not required to advance so it was ok, the races in GT5 were much easier

License tests are much easier in GT6 than GT5 (no comparison really).

AI/Career races' difficulty will vary according to choice of car/PP. (Both GT5 & GT6)
So in that sense, GT6 might be more difficult than GT5.

That being said, I think the physics are better in GT6...
..which results in better feeling for what the car is doing than GT5.

I use a wheel, 0 driving aids, 0 ABS.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a casual gamer because the difficulty is just right for me. I'm just now getting used to driving without aids so that makes it a little more difficult.

GT6, like basically every GT, is as hard as you want it to be.

I'm not going to complain license tests being too easy to gold when, frankly, prior to GT5 they were much too hard not every player is going to be a great driver. And if they don't need to be a great driver beat 99% of the races should they need to be a great driver to get to run them?

Personally I think they are fine as they are, I do not want to have to keep weaving in and out of cones for a hour to move on to the next race, same for all the tests. Any experienced driver should be able to bronze them in 1-3 tries or at least the first couple of levels and should be able to get gold in a few minutes on most of them. If they were harder than that then a lot of the first timers would have loads of trouble and may just give up on the game before they get into it very far.

GT5 the tests were harder but not required to advance so it was ok, the races in GT5 were much easier

This is where I feel people get stuck in the "big brother" mindset the PD uses and it's a blackhole for any kind of flexibility or individuality in gameplay and it's why offline basically sucks for many of us. Why do we have to assume as your post does, that we must have a one-size-fits-all set of license tests? Yes you wouldn't want to weave through cones for hours to pass a license test but what's wrong with having differing difficulities in the tests so that everyone can be challenged if they want to be. It's not hard. You just set up multiple levels of difficulty all within the same license test. Even something as simple as Beginner/Advanced/Expert would be better than what we have now and there are multiple ways to do this.

You could have one car and one set of corners for example with one set of targets for Beginner, 3 slightly faster targets for Advanced, and 3 even faster targets for Expert.
You could have three targets for Beginners on Sports Hards, 3 targets for Advanced on Comfort Softs and 3 targets for experts on Comfort Mediums.

Easy to program, requires little memory or programming and turns license tests into something that are a real achievement. Gold Expert should be something achievable by only the very best players, perhaps 1000 people in the entire world that either have the skill to do it, or the patience to do the tests repeatedly.

Instead PD does 99% of the work and turns the license tests into a joke, instead of a real challenging and rewarding part of the game.

So basically you are saying that maybe 1,000 out of 10,000,000 or so would actually be able to complete the test and that would be a good idea for who? A challenge is one thing but something that is impossible for 99.99% of the players is definitely not a good thing from a marketing standpoint.

Totally agree ^^.

They had to lower the bar for the license tests, because they serve a different function than in GT5.
In GT6 they are the barriers to entry to higher levels, so I can totally understand why they made them easier.

In GT5, licenses were not gates into higher levels, only served for bragging rights.
So in that sense, PD's developers could get away with making them more difficult than in GT6.

Point is, everyone has different expectations for the game, from total beginner to GTA finalist.
There is no way PD can please everyone. What maybe easy for some is difficult for others.

What I expect from the game as a wheel user with a rig is totally different than...
...what satisfies my neighbor's middle-school son who uses a DS3 on a couch.

Last edited:
Totally agree ^^.

They had to lower the bar for the license tests, because they serve a different function than in GT5.
In GT6 they are the barriers to entry to higher levels, so I can totally understand why they made them easier.

That same function that they had in GT1 through GT4?

There is no way PD can please everyone. What maybe easy for some is difficult for others.

For god's sake, why are all these people unable to conceive of a world with multiple difficulty levels?

Hell, it's what the bronze/silver/gold system in the licenses was originally intended for. Bronze was achievable by pretty much anyone who's brother wasn't also their father. Gold was (mostly) a serious challenge. All bronzes gave you the same access as all golds, so no problems gating access.

Instead we now have a world where the developer feels like they have to give everyone gold on a platter. Making silver and bronze completely pointless in the process. It's like they don't understand their own design.

^^^ I don't know Imari, your expectations are obviously different from mine...

You omitted my main point from your cherry-picked quotation of my post preceding yours...

Point is, everyone has different expectations for the game, from total beginner to GTA finalist.
It's not something I lose sleep over, very grateful for the new physics, tracks, and cars.
The career mode for me was just a nice diversion to learn the new tracks and physics.

GT's Seasonal TT's and organized online racing offer enough for me to test my skills.
...and if that gets boring I just fire up the PC for some rFactor, GameStock Car or Asetto...

Thing that I really think is great is that the neighbor's kid is just as stoked as I am.

...hopefully PD gets it sorted out for guys like you to enjoy those digital game "Golds" a bit more. :sly:

Last edited:
You might find It being too easy , but then many of folks got problems even with doing licences so PD had to lower the bar for the online . Funny fact :D

Right now I'm enjoying iA and I find that AI there is becoming quite fast , specially if you use cars that are not dominant for class you're racing > ie. game lets you race lamborgini vs golfs , but does that make sense for me to use lambo in race with golfs ? No, I'd rather use Citroen and winining is sudenly not so easy.I've redone many races in the last few days just for fun with cars that are more everyday or not tuned much and I win maybe 10 out of 60 various races in iA,iB. Trick is I tend to drive clean as in real life , no bumping,paint trading, because in real life I wouldn't bump my 599 into R8. But then I'm sure if I'd use best car in class ,tune It , I wouldn't have a problem winning :D I guess AI is competitive as much as YOU want It to be . If I want easy race just to farm some money I got It ,If I want more hard way ,It is there too,just choose right (wrong) car.

^^^ I don't know Imari, your expectations are obviously different from mine...

You omitted my main point from your cherry-picked quotation of my post preceding yours...

Everyone having different expectations for a game is so obvious it's barely worth stating in the first place. I didn't quote it because I didn't think it needed spelling out, again. I considered it implicit in the quote I did make; if PD can't please everyone then obviously everyone has different expectations.

So your point is that if everyone has different expectations, it's OK for PD to design a game that only meets the lowest common denominator? How is that, exactly?

I made reference to the original license tests, where gold was generally a bit of an achievement. I don't see any reason why GT6 needed to lower the bar for gold licenses. The system worked fine in GT1-4. It worked fine in GT5 too, except that it wasn't gating any content outside of more licenses, so it was basically a bunch of driving missions.

Tell me why the licenses needed to be made easier, when previously any schmo could get bronze and have access to all content. Why essentially remove content that would give gameplay to the more skilled player, and give less skilled players a target to strive for?

Back