Is GT6 too easy?

I also doubt this is true. When I first encountered GT1 and 2 I was just doing arcade racers, and I found the licences frustratingly difficult, so I never got into those games. Now I can get gold on the first or second try, but I've unlearned how to drive NFS, Burnout, etc. The more arcade racers they can coerce away from the dark side, the more successful the title becomes.

However, I do agree there should be some sort of difficulty slider that can be moved all the way up to literally "impossible."
As i said it is difficult to judge how difficult it is for others when it is easy for yourself.

But if you look how little threads we have about difficult to do gold medals it is a hint on how easy they are.

And most of those threads are from people that have not understood that you don't have to finish 1st in some tests/mission to get gold and it is wiser to let faster cars pass and use their slipstream instead of blocking them and then complain about how stupid AI is for ramming them...

:lol: , do yourself a favor and never look a the timing screen in the replay and compare it between races where you used a equal car and those where u used a much worse car.

I don't and I won't. If lowering the PP to make a race more challenging doesn't satisfy you, then don't. Just don't complain that the races are too easy to win when you are knowingly entering with a faster car.

I don't and I won't. If lowering the PP to make a race more challenging doesn't satisfy you, then don't. Just don't complain that the races are too easy to win when you are knowingly entering with a faster car.
I never used a faster car than the leader, never used a tuned car so far and i always drive with all game aids off.
(abs/tc depending on car)

Usually i use a car 50pp and one tire step down.
(IB Allstars with stock MP4-12C on SS against FXX/Huayra on RH for example)

IA World Champ. And Spa 24min i did with a 100% stock LMP on RH and with TC0/ABS0

If i get them before 50% of the race they usually can't put pressure on me, if i don't get them before half of the race they slow down till i got them.

Again, if you enjoy taking a 100pp slower car and "winning" against the AI in faster cars but slowed down to 85% of their laptime it is fine for me.
But don't tell me this has anything to do with a race.

But don't tell me this has anything to do with a race.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What does it matter if the AI is going "85%" slower than their "actual" lap time? The AI speed is completely rigged to spread the field in EVERY race. Surely you don't believe that PD choose AI based on the car's 100% lap time speed and that's how they fill the grid.

And in my experience, 50pp and one step down in tires is still too fast compared to AI.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What does it matter if the AI is going "85%" slower than their "actual" lap time? The AI speed is completely rigged to spread the field in EVERY race. Surely you don't believe that PD choose AI based on the car's 100% lap time speed and that's how they fill the grid.
It would not be a problem if they would do a consistent speed throughout the race, but the don't.

They start fast(ish) and then depending on what the player does keep that speed, go faster or slow down.
And this makes it impossible to race them.

And in my experience, 50pp and one step down in tires is still too fast compared to AI.
I know, but if i go lower i can't catch them before mid race and they start to slow down again.

Don't you watch the split times in the race that show you the time to the leader if you use a even slower car ?
Don't you see how they "drive/race" in the last laps if you use a way slower car ?

Overtaking and winning when they are in this "slow mode" is just as fake/unfair as using a overpowered car was in previous GT's.

Edit:
solution would be longer races (you could catch up with a slower car), or stopping them from slowing down so extreme.
It is a good idea (for how races work in GT) that they are "dynamic" and go faster when you reach them, but the execution is awful.

This would be horrible even in Need for Speed and sure does not belong in a "Simulator"

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss I suppose. I don't pay special attention to split times and I don't analyze them to the degree you're suggesting. I just adjust PP and tires and worry about my lines, braking points, etc. I've never gotten the feeling of a successful pass on any GT game. GT has always been about racing lap times with car skins. I just don't expect the AI to have realistic character because they never do.

However, None of this makes the game "easy."

However, None of this makes the game "easy."
AI letting you win races no matter what car you drive and how often you crash DOES make it a lot easier i would say.

(Exaggerated, i know but not so far of. You need a lot less cars than in previous GT's, tuning has become unnecessary and you can make a lot of mistakes and still win a race)

When a 190+ BHP Toyota Starlet can outrun an R34 GT-R on a straight away, you know something is up. The most challenging race I've had so far is the Electric Circuits race at Matterhorn, and that was because the AI leader had the fastest car of them all which could actually keep momentum going up the hill.

Being able to spin out, be 20 seconds behind the leader and then suddenly make up 12 seconds after 2 corners should under no circumstance be classed as 'improved AI'. Especially when they still pull the same stupid tactics of moving in front of you just as you're about to pass them, as well as bumping you (and sometimes spinning you out) just so they can religiously follow the racing line.

I like GT6, they've definitely improved a lot of things, but this whole 'dumbing down for new players' nonsense is ridiculous. Why so many players have to be spoon-fed everything these days is beyond me. I mean, just look at GT1. You're given a pittance of money, dumped into a city/menu screen, and... that's it. You're on your own. They offer some slow, humdrum cars brand new for the money they give you, but you're expected to figure out (like in real life) that the good performers can be found way cheaper in the used car lots. Wanna race? Oh, I need a licence? I'll go do that then. And after that, you're good to go.

Fast forward 15 years, they now apparently need to practically spell out which car you're supposed to buy. I mean, 'why not buy a Honda Fit RS '10?', really? The fact that its written so obviously that a moron can understand it is just pathetic. At least say 'why not check out these?' and give options of decent starter cars instead of just forcing the most balanced thing on offer to the player. Then, they keep giving you little text boxes telling you what the Novice class is and everything. I'm pretty sure most people know how a game works; start from bottom, work to top? Ugh.

/rant

License tests are much easier in GT6 than GT5 (no comparison really).

AI/Career races' difficulty will vary according to choice of car/PP. (Both GT5 & GT6)
So in that sense, GT6 might be more difficult than GT5.

That being said, I think the physics are better in GT6...
..which results in better feeling for what the car is doing than GT5.

I use a wheel, 0 driving aids, 0 ABS.
So, what you are saying is that in order to make the AI more competitive we will have to "handicap" ourselfs with no driver aids and adding weight/redusing power of our vehicles?

It does feel easier than GT4 and GT5. I spent many months trying to finish those. Now GT6 is almost done (98%) after 45 hours (about a month).
Except for the drifting challenges... I absolutely suck at those... :-)

Every GT game I have played is as easy or as hard as you make it yourself. Choose a powerful car and modify it and it's easy, use an underpowered car on comfort tyres and it can be quite difficult.

GT has always been this way.

That is very true, but what sets this GT from the rest is that now we have tire and PP limit. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm having a really hard time winning the Silverstone Mini Endurance. It's the only event so far that I haven't completed and I keep getting in second all the time. The PP Limit is 750 and that's how much my Corvette ZR-1 RM has. There is no tire limit, but obviously if you choose anything better than RH, you'll run out of tires in just a couple of laps.

The ZR-1 RM is as fast as it goes for a touring car. I don't know... maybe I should try another car, but I can't possibly think of which. I was thinking of the good old Ford GT Test Car II, but knowing how difficult MR cars are to drive in GT6, I don't want to risk it. I learned it the hard way when trying to use the Audi R8 LMS.

*snip*
Fast forward 15 years, they now apparently need to practically spell out which car you're supposed to buy. I mean, 'why not buy a Honda Fit RS '10?', really? The fact that its written so obviously that a moron can understand it is just pathetic. At least say 'why not check out these?' and give options of decent starter cars instead of just forcing the most balanced thing on offer to the player. Then, they keep giving you little text boxes telling you what the Novice class is and everything. I'm pretty sure most people know how a game works; start from bottom, work to top? Ugh.

/rant
Even a difficulty leveling system which, if one so chose, could allow the driver to bypass the novice level tutorials and even races if they posted a specific fast gold time in an assessment phase which every driver would partake. This is merely hypothetical brainstorming which many people may have previously envisioned. But, in its own right, challenging AI would solve the issue many have with this game being "too easy." I have to be honest: I've earned gold, and I use the term lightly, in every test up until the S-4 and S-5 with less than 10 tries. I'm not an alien driver. They clearly changed the gold times into bronze times to give a larger audience a sense of accomplishment. Many people who play this game will be none the wiser. At first, I felt as if I'd improved my driving and was simply golding all the challenges based on skill. Now, after many have said its simply too easy, I have to agree. There are still GT5 license tests I either didn't spend enough time on and therefore did not gold. That's on me but my skill has since only improved slightly.

in short, the career is far too easy however for added challenge play online or do arcade on hardest settings... main issue still lies with the grid of random cars and AI rubberbanding back to you? seemingly anyways

AI letting you win races no matter what car you drive and how often you crash DOES make it a lot easier i would say.
If there is no way you can lose in GT6, you are too awesome for this universe.

I know this aggravates some of you, but I have had fun with cars running less than 20% of the PP limit. I use the limit tire type because I must admit I love as much grip as possible. Yes, often the bots will let me win, but not always, and it's satisfying to sometimes see the second place car pull into the lead and stay there. Once in a while, finish fourth. I've run sports cars in race car series just to see where I might end up, with is about halfway back of the leader or worse, naturally. After I've aced the series of course. :sly:

I've already been through this scenario, having improved my skill in GT2 to the point that I could sometimes beat the field with a car up to 60% below regulation limits. It didn't make GT2 a bad game. For me, it made GT2 a better game. And it's the same way with GT6. Yes, the game could be harder, but does it have to be?

If some of you guys can't have fun with the game, that's one thing, but I wouldn't get too carried away with assuming that most gamers feel the same way you do. GT5 sold a million copies between November 2012 and last August, and that was in a market likely swamped with used games. And GT5 is supposedly the worst game in the series. Predict at your peril.

The game is as easy or as hard as you want as some other posters have already said. This afternoon my 12 year old daughter completed the first two sets of licences and got silver or bronze (plus one gold) at the first or second attempt. Her only previous experience of driving games is Mario Kart on the Wii. She was however using a wheel, automatic and all driver aids.

Personally I'm finding the game very satisfying, but I'm using a wheel, H pattern shifter, cockpit view, no aids etc. I'm not trying to race through the game - I'm savouring the experience! Still plenty of room for improvement though!

I did gold for all the GT5 Licenses, 99% game completion, using a wheel, no aids/0 ABS without hacking...
...so I can understand your angst. If anything I am in your camp, but I guess I try to see the other side.

I suspect like wheel users, the die-hard community (myself included) are a small % of total purchasers.
No doubt, the game's designers take that into account when they project sales.

So Imari, not everyone who buys GT6 is as die-hard fan as you going back to GT1...
...and perhaps they are not as talented as you or have as much time on their hands to devote to "STRIVING".

Like most market-driven things it probably comes down to who pays most of the bill.
Your video game "STRIVING" may be seen as a waste of time for some, time is money they say...
...and so now Sony now also offers micro-transactions.

I would guess that a STRIVING guy like you must have been overjoyed with the lower payouts for GT6...
...and would never glitch, content to grind away into eternity.

You completely avoided the question. Why did licences need to be made easier, when previously any schmo could get bronze and have access to all content?

And you can quit with the veiled insults as well.

You could back up save for endurance and restore it to continue endurance race if you want to do online racing too. Easiest thing though is just use B-Spec to gold the events for final part.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have to gold all A and B Spec events to get the trophy? That was another reason why having A and B Spec separate in GT5 was a mistake.

You completely avoided the question. Why did licences need to be made easier, when previously any schmo could get bronze and have access to all content?

The licence tests in GT5 are unnecessarily hard, and only serve to teach you to drive like a nut.

GT6 is far more reasonable, and adds friends scores to encourage you to try harder. You'll gold an event by showing you understand the concept that they want you to understand, licences are not a benchmark but a teaching tool.

The licence tests in GT5 are unnecessarily hard, and only serve to teach you to drive like a nut.
You may be right about that. I do remember that a few of them gave me Fitts. Narf. :P

I much preferred GT6's License Tests.

GT6 is far more reasonable, and adds friends scores to encourage you to try harder. You'll gold an event by showing you understand the concept that they want you to understand, licences are not a benchmark but a teaching tool.
You may be right about that. I do remember that a few of them gave me Fitts. Narf. :P

I much preferred GT6's License Tests.

And here's why they did it, because gamers are so entitled that they can't bear not having gold. Getting bronze on any test in GT5 is trivial, but you guys went straight to talking about golds as if that's all that mattered. And ignoring the fact that gold should at least be a challenge.

I don't agree with reinforcing this behaviour, but whatever. They might as well take away silver and bronze and just have a pass/fail.

This philosophy also makes a lot more sense of the racing. It's a philosophy that values the ends over the means. As long as the player wins it'll be alright, coming second in a hard fought race isn't good enough.

And here's why they did it, because gamers are so entitled that they can't bear not having gold. Getting bronze on any test in GT5 is trivial, but you guys went straight to talking about golds as if that's all that mattered. And ignoring the fact that gold should at least be a challenge.

I don't agree with reinforcing this behaviour, but whatever. They might as well take away silver and bronze and just have a pass/fail.

This philosophy also makes a lot more sense of the racing. It's a philosophy that values the ends over the means. As long as the player wins it'll be alright, coming second in a hard fought race isn't good enough.

It has nothing to do with entitlement, from what i can tell GT6 aims to teach you to drive, not challenge your driving abilities. Making gold as challenging as GT5 defeats that purpose. The challenge for drivers of "your" apparent skill level should not be in a licence test, it should be in events not tied to the initial completion.

You don't need to drive like a pro to complete GT6, but you do need to be a good driver, thats whats important.

Experienced drivers like you need separate events like seasonals or DLC events. You are not the majority, not everyone has a racing wheel or the time like you.

you guys went straight to talking about golds as if that's all that mattered. And ignoring the fact that gold should at least be a challenge.
Excuse us for thinking that "unnecessarily hard" is a bit much. And of course, this naturally follows that what we really mean is "they should be easy peasy." You are such a shrink at heart. ;)

I would say that GT6 is slightly lacking in races (as was GT5) when I think back to GT4 and all those one make races in the various garages etc. However, with the promise of lots more content (hopefully enduros etc), we may well be looking at double the content by the end.
I was hoping that there would be Manufacturer's Cup races myself, as it added a ton of racing time to GT4. In fact, when I noticed there were so many, I stopped my "career" races to do them all, making the game much longer.

I'm up to the S Class races now, and while I have other things yet to do besides them, it does feel as if the game is nearly over for me. But it will never be, until GT7 comes along, a Forza I'll want to buy again, or if Project CARS has something like an actual career. As others have said, I can make the racing enjoyable in GT6, and there are about a thousand cars I have yet to experience with the new physics. This means a lot of tinkering, racing, and Photo shooting before I even get to thinking about added content or a whole new online experience. I have tons of things yet to do, fortunately.

And before I forget, happy New Year everyone. :gtpflag:

Excuse us for thinking that "unnecessarily hard" is a bit much. And of course, this naturally follows that what we really mean is "they should be easy peasy." You are such a shrink at heart. ;)

I never said you thought that they should be easy peasy. I was merely using the two latest comments in the thread as examples that when people talk about licenses, they automatically talk about GOLDING the licenses as if it were the same thing. It's not.

It has nothing to do with entitlement, from what i can tell GT6 aims to teach you to drive, not challenge your driving abilities. Making gold as challenging as GT5 defeats that purpose.

Why does having gold licenses be hard make it harder to learn to drive? The learning aspect is still there if you're getting bronze and silver, that hasn't changed.

If anything, having golds near the limit of what is possible is better for learning, because it provides a marker for the player to know that they're really getting something right. Having golds several seconds from the limit is just an arbitrary marker, it provides no real information.

It's nothing to do with my skill level, which I haven't even referred to at all and I'm guessing you have no idea whether I'm an alien or struggling to get bronzes. It's about undercutting a system that worked perfectly fine at providing content for a range of players, for no apparently good reason.

It's about good game design, which contrary to popular belief is not simply a bunch of Skinner boxes that give you a medal and make you feel good when you push a button.

I think the majority of GT6 players will find it challenging enough. For the rest of us, there’re the Seasonals; I feel I’m decently skilled (DS3), and they have been challenging enough (the Alfa MiTo time trial, good god…). The game is perfectly fair for what it is. If you’re the minority of players (and I do think it can be considered a minority) good enough that the single-player is too casual, you have some Seasonals and Multiplayer (this is probably all you really should want anyway, right?). Honestly, what is so difficult about understanding the purpose behind the game and its elements?
I'm not that good, yes i can race. but i do mistakes - This considered, i fell greatly that the difficulty is decreased. In allmost every event i make it gold in the first tries no problems. compered to GT5 n 4 where some of the events where completely out of gold or silver reach (for me)
The difficulty has decreased so much it hurts. nothing to learn, exept "your the best! - GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD! Yeah right i'm the best in the world....

GT6 is a game for everybody. For the wise and skilled, it may be too easy, for me personally, this is the first GT where I have been able to get gold on every license test so far (except S, haven't golded all of S yet, but will get around to it this week), and I'm rather thankful that they have been softened a bit. And while I find most of the races not too challenging, driving a fully tuned LMP around the Nurburgring without ASM is still a little bit out of reach, and those damn shifter kart races...

All you people crying about GT6 being way to easy obviously need to shut your systems off and get out of the house for a while...i.e. get a life!
My guess is most of you are also the ones that whine about not being able to buy all the most expensive cars within 5 minutes of starting the game.

If the fact that some 12 year old kid or retired individual might get all golds on a game bothers you that much you probably need professional help.

I enjoyed the heck out of GT5 was level 40 A speck on multiple saves and avoided most of the license tests because they anoyed the heck out of me and I play for entertainment not frustration.

I was seriously dreading the tests in GT6 since I had to do them just to advance career. Was pleasently surprised that with time and effort I could not only pass them but get golds. Since most of the people on my friends list are faster than me (some of them much faster) its been fun comparing my tests to theirs. Same with trying to keep up with their ghost lines on the seasonal events.

If you don't find yourself enjoying the off-line career mode, and can't or won't look for good online racing then I suggest you trade the game in for another one you can actually enjoy instead of crying about some company trying to make their product as appealing as possible to the widest possible audience.

Is GT6 perfect? No! lots of things I think could be improved, but saying its to easy is just ignoring the majority of the target market.

Oh and by the way I loved Goodwood and got all golds right up until I had to try and drive that stupid X2010. Finally managed a bronze and sort of doubt I'll ever waste the time trying to get gold with it. Totally ruined something I thought was great until then and had spent several hours on.

GT6 career mode and tropies are easy and thats good when were talking about GT basic level. from there you can allways use a slower car on career or go to seazonal world time challenges. i think GT is better allowing all its players the good feeling of victory. GT is richer as a simgame for slow, for fast, for children, for adult. one game for all. Trophies awarded at races should reflect its dificulty but the lack of a "race creator for career mode" that would provide tools to please every racer, the slowest and the fastest, is the main problem in my opinion.

the car dealerships are not so easy though :scared:

thread poll:do you want a race creator for career mode?

Last edited:
Back