Is it time to let go?

• Thread starter robbyf
  • 335 comments
Judging a game's physics by watching a video is sort of like determining how a burger tastes by watching someone else eat it.

Tasting is more of a personal sense than sight. You can see in some (Sim Game) vs. Forza 6 videos that no matter what car, Forza's tends to slide easier than the game being compared. When somebody taste tests something, it is true that you don't know what they are experiencing, but with sight, you can observe the differences.

I should have rephrased - I didn't mean every car, ha ha.
Well, the snap O/S aside, Forza's physics seem a bit more on the floaty side to me. That said, I haven't played six, but they seem to be improved on 5. Four just felt reaaaally floaty.

FM4 was/is floaty, I agree. GT6 is a bit better, and it feels OK in a lot of situations, but it's still a generation behind the best consumer simulators of the moment. Which is to be expected I suppose, it's an old game now.

(fellow Melbournite I see ;P)

Yay! :D

Tasting is more of a personal sense than sight. You can see in some (Sim Game) vs. Forza 6 videos that no matter what car, Forza's tends to slide easier than the game being compared. When somebody taste tests something, it is true that you don't know what they are experiencing, but with sight, you can observe the differences.

You'd be amazed at how much the in-game camera can warp what you think you're seeing. Having a loosey-goosey camera can make people think the physics are awful, even in the most accurate sim.

Videos are a pretty poor way to judge physics. You really need to be hands on, experiencing how the car responds to your inputs. Because that's the whole point.

Except for the fact that what he describes works the same with both cases. It's hard to judge a game based off of someone else playing it and make a good viable opinion off said game when you had no experience with it whatsoever, just the same way you will not be able to judge the taste of a burger by looking at it. You are able to see both of these things, so what does that have to do with anything?

I've seen in videos of people not being able to drive cars either, but that's no fault of the game, that's the fault of the driver. I'm not sure why you'd think that a race car can't be drifted, if its put into the hands of someone that doesn't know how to control it. It being a race car doesn't automatically make it an easier car to drive. It'll take more finesse, even more so than driving any road car.

You're right in that first sentence, but since when do we judge physics solely on sight?

You're also making a point to compare FM6 to other games. Don't do that. Compare it to reality. GT6's over-grippy original-equipment tires should be reason enough, for one.

The best way to get a sense of the physics of any game is to play it yourself.

I know the thread is a bit old, but I feel I'll share my brief opinion as well. TBH, I'm honestly tired of GT and it's inconsistencies. Reading what everyone is going through on GT6 reminds me of the Horrid issues with GT5.

A 1971 Mach 1 a better track car than a S197/ SN 95 Cobra R? Never made sense to me
Pontiac GTo/ holden Monaro... Literally all you had to do with that car was throw tires on it and call it day. It was easily the best handling car in the game, and the only thing that kept it noncompetitive was it's odd lack of power despite sharing the same engines with other cars in the game.

Rain Tires at first had an extremely high wear rate, but was fixed by PD only to still be better off racing with Racing softs. Then came that mighty update where heavy cars got 700hp at the 505pp range.. I just got tired of it, and that was my final straw in that game. Thousands of hours of tuning for 500-700pp went down the drain in an instant.

In my honest opinion, I think PD is just doing patch work applying their so called 'superior physics' to a certain degree of cars and importing old code to the newer titles.

As it stands Forza will be my must buy and Gt has been reduced to I'll see what inconsistencies you all will bring up when you all buy it. Hate to say it.... I've been playing Since GT1, but I'm tired of the half A**ed game.

Back