Is it worth buying a PS4 for Project Cars?

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 92 comments
Simcoeace
I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but .... as it's that time of year ... is it worth buying a PS4 for Project Cars. I wouldn't use a PS4 for anything other than sim racing. I have a full racing rig/Thrustmaster T500 which I haven't used in a while because my PS3 is in use elsewhere in the house. So ... I could get PS4 for $369 (CDN) & Project Cars or a second PS3 (refurbished for about $139) which would allow me to play GT6, F1CE (still one of my favourites), F12010, & a variety of my other PS3 racing titles (which I wouldn't be able to play on the PS4). Opinions?

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but .... as it's that time of year ... is it worth buying a PS4 from Project Cars. I wouldn't use a PS4 for anything other than sim racing. I have a full racing rig/Thrustmaster T500 which I haven't used in a while because my PS3 is in use elsewhere in the house. So ... I could get PS4 for $369 (CDN) & Project Cars or a second PS3 (refurbished for about $139) which would allow me to play GT6, F1CE (still one of my favourites), F12010, & a variety of my other PS3 racing titles (which I wouldn't be able to play of the PS4). Opinions?
Might as well look to the future and not the past. Project CARS now, then AC, Dirt Rally, Seb Loew (?) Evo Rally in Feb and some GT game later in the year. Why not?

Seems like nobody wants to touch that question, lol. I'm a PlayStation fan, so I say YES, but mainly just because it's the PS4. Not for Project Cars. If you don't mind a few issues that come with the game, then go for it.

Yes what bleeder said, you won't be disappointed with the new race Sims coming out. And you'll be already set.

I'd buy a PS4 just for Project Cars. Actually, I essentially did. The only other game I own is F1 2015, but I don't play that as it's a bit rubbish. The AI in Project Cars can be a bastard at times and there are other well reported niggles, but for me the physics, audio, graphics and racing are all terrific.

OP, hopefully you have read about the issues and glitches with PCars so can go into it fully informed and with eyes wide open. If you can accept these things then there's an incredible racing title here for you to discover and enjoy.
In a way it's like buying an Italian sports car, when it's working properly you will love it, but it might make you cry with frustration sometimes.

I understand that there has been a lot of frustration with various glitches ... although this seems fairly typical of many racing games on release - GT6, the various incarnations of Shift, the different versions of Codemasters F1 series - all had lots of complaints. In the end, is PCars significantly worse than these & how many of these glitches have now been patched out?

PCars is the buggiest title I have ever owned of any genre. It's also one of the most stellar. I don't regret buying it and I have purchased all the dlc for it and will continue to do so, if I didn't like it I certainly wouldn't be purchasing the dlc.
SMS will continue to improve it, they have already improved the game quite a bit since release. Unfortunately each patch is a stutter step forward where they break things and introduce more bugs, but arguably each patch is an improvement.
If you are unsure perhaps wait a bit longer because it will keep getting better (& worse in some areas lol).

I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but .... as it's that time of year ... is it worth buying a PS4 for Project Cars. I wouldn't use a PS4 for anything other than sim racing. I have a full racing rig/Thrustmaster T500 which I haven't used in a while because my PS3 is in use elsewhere in the house. So ... I could get PS4 for $369 (CDN) & Project Cars or a second PS3 (refurbished for about $139) which would allow me to play GT6, F1CE (still one of my favourites), F12010, & a variety of my other PS3 racing titles (which I wouldn't be able to play on the PS4). Opinions?

If you are only into sim racing, consider getting a gaming PC. It's more expensive at first, but you save more in the long run from cheaper games and not needing to pay for online (plus guaranteed peripheral and backward compatibility forever). Most racing games on PS4 are on PC (except for GT, but with the way the series is going you can safely miss that), and you have more better sims on PC like rFactor 2, iRacing, Raceroom Racing Experience, Game Stock Car, etc. With PC also comes modding, which makes a game essentially have unlimited content. Also, if you are heavily into F1 you can get rFactor 1 which has almost every single F1 season mod created from 1950-present (even some cars from 1930s pre war era).

Console is convenient, but if you are willing to spend a bit of effort and (initial) money, PC is the way to go for sim racing 👍

If you are only into sim racing, consider getting a gaming PC. It's more expensive at first, but you save more in the long run from cheaper games and not needing to pay for online (plus guaranteed peripheral and backward compatibility forever). Most racing games on PS4 are on PC (except for GT, but with the way the series is going you can safely miss that), and you have more better sims on PC like rFactor 2, iRacing, Raceroom Racing Experience, Game Stock Car, etc. With PC also comes modding, which makes a game essentially have unlimited content. Also, if you are heavily into F1 you can get rFactor 1 which has almost every single F1 season mod created from 1950-present (even some cars from 1930s pre war era).

Console is convenient, but if you are willing to spend a bit of effort and (initial) money, PC is the way to go for sim racing 👍

This is a reasonable argument in theory, but how well does it hold up in practice? I am a long-time Mac user, which represents something of a challenge, for starters. This means I would have to buy a separate gaming PC (well even if I didn't, I wouldn't want my everyday PC to be sitting next to my Sim rig. Getting a high-end PC would be pretty expensive & would cease to be "high-end" after a couple of years. A low-to-medium PC would be a lot less expensive - probably similar in performance to a console & would also become obsolete in a couple of years. Games for consoles are generally developed & optimized for the performance of that console & so the console has a longer effective life-time.

However, my real argument against the PC route is that I am technologically challenged & don't like the idea of wrestling with PC complexities. :dopey:

While I can't compliment on the PS4 purchase (it does seem the PCars title is much buggier on consoles). PC it's pretty bug-free at the moment. There are still some frustrating design decisions, but it works.

That being said, PCars was the first racing game which spurred me to buy an actual wheel...then a rig...then a button box...then a shifter...then some pedal springs...then pedal covers...then a tablet...then an app...

It helps that I also own AC if ever need to run it...and after picking up this stuff I did grab Dirt Rally so it's all ended up being a good investment. But it's a different world of driving compared to a normal game (Forza/GT etc.). I've never had better racing than spending an evening driving with 2-4 buddies (occasionally throwing in AI).

Is it worth $400+ for the title and console? I couldn't tell ya. If you're going to use the PS4 for other stuff (movies, media, other games), absolutely.

This is a reasonable argument in theory, but how well does it hold up in practice? I am a long-time Mac user, which represents something of a challenge, for starters. This means I would have to buy a separate gaming PC (well even if I didn't, I wouldn't want my everyday PC to be sitting next to my Sim rig. Getting a high-end PC would be pretty expensive & would cease to be "high-end" after a couple of years. A low-to-medium PC would be a lot less expensive - probably similar in performance to a console & would also become obsolete in a couple of years. Games for consoles are generally developed & optimized for the performance of that console & so the console has a longer effective life-time.

However, my real argument against the PC route is that I am technologically challenged & don't like the idea of wrestling with PC complexities. :dopey:
I bought a fairly high end PC for 700 bucks (GTX 960, i5 combo), ready made from Ebay. Best decision i ever made especially seeing console manufacturers, aside from restricting you and taking every opportunity to get in your wallet, are now also releasing systems that will only last for a few years. PS4 and Xbone are already struggling with reproducing all the visual goodies of the newest games, and the consoles are not even 2 years old.

Just plug it into your TV with a HDMI, get a wireless keyboard, use one of your existing controllers and you're all set. No need to be a brain surgeon to configure the thing, i could do it!
:dopey:

OP, hopefully you have read about the issues and glitches with PCars so can go into it fully informed and with eyes wide open. If you can accept these things then there's an incredible racing title here for you to discover and enjoy.
In a way it's like buying an Italian sports car, when it's working properly you will love it, but it might make you cry with frustration sometimes.
Wait, in the last couple of months I didn't follow closely what's going on but they reached patch 7.0 a number like this might suggest some serious updating and bug removal, is it the case... or it's just Ian Bell boasting his 7.0 updated ego and banning someone in the meanwhile for random reasons as usual :P ?

Yep. I did. Plus we will eventually get Gran Turismo Sport, Gran Turismo 7, Dirt Rally etc. etc.

Time to throw out the Mac and get a proper computer :P lol j/k

Seriously though I can understand where you come from. The configurable nature of PC can be daunting at first. BUT I believe as long as there is a will to learn anything can be achieved ;) Just start asking a few questions, read up on a couple of articles about building PCs and you'll get the basics pretty quickly. Similarly setting up a game and downloading mods is as easy as clicking a link and copy-pasting folders. It takes effort, but you will be rewarded accordingly as well 👍

As for maintaining a high end PC, unless you are a graphics buff there is really no need to keep upgrading your PC yearly. A medium end PC is going to be enough for 3-5 years if you turn down graphics settings for newer games, and 5 years is around the lifespan of a console anyway. You are not going to be playing an inferior product to consoles because they will also be 3-5 years old by then, so games would still need to be optimized for that level.

At the end of the day only you can answer the question of convenience vs experience. But as a console-converted-to-PC person, I can promise you once you get over that initial "hump" in complexity it will be absolutely worth it.

If you are not in favour of going the pc route (I felt the same as you about pc's but made the jump to pc last year)then PS4 is your obvious choice. I assume XBone is out since you didn't mention it. Find a deal, get Project Cars, get ready for Assetto Corsa, GTSport etc. etc. etc. You know you're going to get it eventually anyway so why not now:sly:

for just one game never worth it. Even if it is the best racing game on console in ages (after 100000000 patches).

I personally bought it for pcars off course but also for uncharted, tomb raider, dirt rally (hell yeah!!) and so on... for just one game is not the case.

If you are a bit of a risk taker, don't overlook pawn shops as a resource. The price is usually negotiable and DOA is usually able to be rectified. I spotted a 500GB PS4 for $130.00 locally. Here in Florida $259.00 is the best I've seen but if is Christmas and way more urban than where I live.

H*** Yeah. Bought a second PS4 just to play project cars (& build a console rig)

Sorry for the swedish but you get the idea
image.png

Last edited:
I've had my PS4 since release. The game drought did not really affect me because I had Battlefield 4.
When PCars was released, I got the PC version and the PS4 version. :D

The fact that I could not use my G27 with the PS4 is still an issue for me. But I will one day have a wheel that is compatible with the PS4. :crazy:

I really love the PC version. So much so that I got a GTX980 GPU for my PC.
But I am a Play Station user. So once I get the proper wheel, I'll start using PCars on my PS4.

Not to mention the new GT game and Assetto Corsa. You cant lose.👍

Console is convenient, but if you are willing to spend a bit of effort and (initial) money, PC is the way to go for sim racing

Well, I have probably one of the weakest setup for a PC, AMD FX-4130 and Radeon R7 250, and the game runs fine (low settings of course). I can also run GTA 5 and almost run Witcher 3 on it, I mainly built the PC for my fiance because her computer died and so we could play Minecraft together. Upgrade a few parts and I should be good for 7-10 years with good maintenance.

@Biggles as for the Mac, I agree with your side also, the cost of owning and maintaining both is a big deterrent. Having to get use to yet another system is another reason the PS4 is better for you.

My point is, if you don't mind the extra build cost of a PC and the operating system doesn't concern you, that might be the better option. But if you prefer gaming on a specific console, stay with that console. As for PCars, my opinion is the game is definitely worth the purchase and whatever system you decide is best for you.

I bought the PS4 specifically for pCARS a week after I'd pre ordered the game, I then bought my T300RS as my ageing DFGT was on its last legs, plus it wasn't compatible with PS4.
GT6 with the new wheel was great improvement over my old DFGT, but nothing prepared me for what pCARS had to offer in the FFB department. OK, pCARS has it's issues, but I'm willing to overlook these due to the sheer enjoyment I get when racing either the AI, or friends online. As a bonus I'm ready now for the next batch of up coming racing releases that are coming to console in the new year. It wasn't cheap as I've upgraded the pedals and got the manual shifter to compliment my wheel, but for me personally, it's worth it as I exclusively play racing / driving games.

Might as well look to the future and not the past. Project CARS now, then AC, Dirt Rally, Seb Loew (?) Evo Rally in Feb and some GT game later in the year. Why not?
Is Dirt Rally coming to consoles? i never knew that...nice.

To OP, go for it. PCars is my favourite game of this generation (and i only play career).

Is Dirt Rally coming to consoles? i never knew that...nice.

To OP, go for it. PCars is my favourite game of this generation (and i only play career).
Yes indeed, it was announced a short while ago, launches April. Seb Rally Evo might be worth keeping an eye on as the devs have stated it'll be a sim and not a WRC arcade type game. Looks ok so far. There's actually a free demo on PSN right now! I'll give it a shot later.

Back