Is It Worth It To Buy A Whole Set-Up Or Wait For GT7?

• Thread starter MSX
  • 65 comments

MSX

United States
Columbus, OH
Hello

I have a huge passion for driving that continues to grow with each thing I learn about High Performance Driving/Racing. For obvious reasons, I've decided to take this passion towards a driving simulator instead of saving up for something nice that I will barely get to use the way I want to use it. It'll save me money in the end anyway (don't get me wrong, I still plan on getting a 328i irl, lol).

I don't want to play GT just to play, I want to learn everything there is to learn about driving and racing. I know GT could never replace driving IRL and I wish I could hop in my car and drive it without having to worry about repairs, gas and other people on the road. But again, for obvious reasons, there's just too much to worry about when I could invest in a simulator and drive in the comfort of my home, away from everyone/thing. Plus, I can drive every single car I'm interested in driving without having to pay for it -- Nice.

With that said, I thought GT6 was for PS4...I could have sworn I've seen it in stores and everything but it isn't. So I was thinking about getting a PS3, GT6, a racing wheel (probably the G29...) and the shifter attachment (really? they couldn't have included this...?)

My problem is...I'd rather not spend all this money and time just to have GT7 come out in 2016 (to my knowledge, it's expected to come out late 2016 or early 2017). I plan to invest serious amounts of time into this game...I'm talking hundreds and maybe even thousands of hours. I want to get Gold on every track, compete in races online (if the latency is ok), basically live the life of a racer -- just virtually. So, hopefully you understand why I want to make sure this is a wise investment.

Right now, I am playing GT4 on PS2 with a Dual Shock 2 controller. I'm progressing nicely without too much difficulty (my impatience is my downfall, along with not having an actual wheel to turn). This is fine for now...but I need a serious experience.

No other option than a full set up if you want as much immersion as you can get in the game. The wheel will definitely be a lot more communicative over the DS3 but if you're going to be putting as much time in as you say, a decent stand and seat is a must.

A good place to look for advice on hardware:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/sim-racing-hardware.163/

Just make sure you get a wheel with cross platform support based on the games that most interest you.

Well, PD is really good at postponing release dates so in your case I would say: Buy a PS3 and GT6 for cheap and buy a G29. You can buy a brand new PS3 for just 150-200 dollars and GT6 cost no more than 20 dollars. At that pricepoint, you will probably have a lot of fun playing GT6 for 1-2 years.

When GT7 comes out, the PS4 will probably also be cheaper.

No other option than a full set up if you want as much immersion as you can get in the game. The wheel will definitely be a lot more communicative over the DS3 but if you're going to be putting as much time in as you say, a decent stand and seat is a must.

A good place to look for advice on hardware:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/sim-racing-hardware.163/

Just make sure you get a wheel with cross platform support based on the games that most interest you.
Trust me, I'm no stranger to wheels/cockpits. I played a lot of Midnight Maximum Tune 3 and Initial D Arcade Stage 3, so I need a wheel...I'm just compromising for now. The DS2 controller really isn't bad at all once you have a comfortable control scheme but it takes a lot away from the experience. Plus, it's a little difficult to work on my precision and a lot of things won't translate well to an actual steering wheel. I'll aim for the G29, should be able to get it in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the thread link, I have a couple questions about hardware that I'll ask there.

Well, PD is really good at postponing release dates so in your case I would say: Buy a PS3 and GT6 for cheap and buy a G29. You can buy a brand new PS3 for just 150-200 dollars and GT6 cost no more than 20 dollars. At that pricepoint, you will probably have a lot of fun playing GT6 for 1-2 years.

When GT7 comes out, the PS4 will probably also be cheaper.
You just sold me, especially with that last (very good) point.

A new problem, though: I've been doing a little bit of research on GT6 after posting this thread and there are quite a few people who say this is a good GAME but not so much of a simulator. Opinions on this?

Again, I don't care for the game aspect as much as I care about a true simulation experience.

Thanks for the replies.

Thrust me, it's way more realistic than GT4, especially the graphics and physics are way better. Though GT4 is still by many seen as the best GT ever made. I also loved GT4, it was way ahead of its time. But especially with a steering wheel, the physics are quite good. You can feel changes in road surface and movement of the car's mass through the steeringwheel quite nicely. Some PC car simulators have better physics, but they lack features like tuning.

Thrust me, it's way more realistic than GT4, especially the graphics and physics are way better. Though GT4 is still by many seen as the best GT ever made. I also loved GT4, it was way ahead of its time. But especially with a steering wheel, the physics are quite good. You can feel changes in road surface and movement of the car's mass through the steeringwheel quite nicely. Some PC car simulators have better physics, but they lack features like tuning.
This is a joke right? The tuning options on pc sims make tuning in GT look like Ridge Racer. Perhaps you meant customization in upgrading engine parts and body panels.

MSX
Hello

I have a huge passion for driving that continues to grow with each thing I learn about High Performance Driving/Racing. For obvious reasons, I've decided to take this passion towards a driving simulator instead of saving up for something nice that I will barely get to use the way I want to use it. It'll save me money in the end anyway (don't get me wrong, I still plan on getting a 328i irl, lol).

I don't want to play GT just to play, I want to learn everything there is to learn about driving and racing. I know GT could never replace driving IRL and I wish I could hop in my car and drive it without having to worry about repairs, gas and other people on the road. But again, for obvious reasons, there's just too much to worry about when I could invest in a simulator and drive in the comfort of my home, away from everyone/thing. Plus, I can drive every single car I'm interested in driving without having to pay for it -- Nice.

With that said, I thought GT6 was for PS4...I could have sworn I've seen it in stores and everything but it isn't. So I was thinking about getting a PS3, GT6, a racing wheel (probably the G29...) and the shifter attachment (really? they couldn't have included this...?)

My problem is...I'd rather not spend all this money and time just to have GT7 come out in 2016 (to my knowledge, it's expected to come out late 2016 or early 2017). I plan to invest serious amounts of time into this game...I'm talking hundreds and maybe even thousands of hours. I want to get Gold on every track, compete in races online (if the latency is ok), basically live the life of a racer -- just virtually. So, hopefully you understand why I want to make sure this is a wise investment.

Right now, I am playing GT4 on PS2 with a Dual Shock 2 controller. I'm progressing nicely without too much difficulty (my impatience is my downfall, along with not having an actual wheel to turn). This is fine for now...but I need a serious experience.

Have You thought About buying an Xbox One with Forza Motorsport 6 Because it is available today, and A Thrustmaster Bundle? Which will be available in Oct 2015
Thrustmaster TX 3 Piece bundle.jpg
I have had Gran Turismo Since GT1 - GT6, and I bought an Xbox One for the release of Forza Motorsport 6, And I must say I was blown away, The graphics are the best you will ever see, and the Physics is really good too, and in Spring Of 2016 The Porsche Expansion Pack Will be released, which you will never see in Gran Turismo, I returned my Xbox One until the Porsche Expansion Pack DLC, but every day I find myself on the verge of buying The XB1 again and playing until the Porsche Pack Is Offered, I don't think I'm going to make it until Spring 2016:lol:
You will hear a lot of debate about Physics between Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo, but here is A video Of what Pro drivers Think about the Physic Engine in Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, and Project CARS:

And If you want GT7 when it is released, all you will need is a PS4 Console, and PS4 Servo Base, because The Wheel, Pedals, and Shifter are all compatible to the PS4 and XB1 Consoles, by the time GT7 is released the PS4 Servo based will be available for purchase too.

Last edited:
MSX
Trust me, I'm no stranger to wheels/cockpits. I played a lot of Midnight Maximum Tune 3 and Initial D Arcade Stage 3, so I need a wheel...I'm just compromising for now. The DS2 controller really isn't bad at all once you have a comfortable control scheme but it takes a lot away from the experience. Plus, it's a little difficult to work on my precision and a lot of things won't translate well to an actual steering wheel. I'll aim for the G29, should be able to get it in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the thread link, I have a couple questions about hardware that I'll ask there.

You just sold me, especially with that last (very good) point.

A new problem, though: I've been doing a little bit of research on GT6 after posting this thread and there are quite a few people who say this is a good GAME but not so much of a simulator. Opinions on this?

Again, I don't care for the game aspect as much as I care about a true simulation experience.

Thanks for the replies.
GT is not as good a simulator as most pc sims, but most pc sims aren't as good of a game as GT6 or Forza. PC sims are mostly about tuning and hotlapping or racing. There are no game economies, no unlocks, no prizes, no car customization or add on parts (although some like AC, RFactor etc. actively encourage modding and you can make entire cars from scratch if you want, tracks too). Forza6 and the XBone is an attractive option to the GT series as well. At this point, IMO, GT has car count going for it and a couple of other things like the VGT project and coursemaker. On just about every other front, most other games are superior.

GT4 is a lot of fun and feels surprisingly nice. It honestly doesn't look bad at all either. Tbh, my only issues are the outdated car roster and some other little stuff that ultimately don't matter. It's a very, very nice game. I'm having a blast playing it with a DS2 controller and that is no sarcasm.

I was wondering about this. So you're saying I'll be able to feel the weight of the car shift through the steering wheel? If so, that would be nice as I want to learn all I can about weight transferring.

Have You thought About buying an Xbox One with Forza Motorsport 6 Because it is available today, and A Thrustmaster Bundle? Which will be available in Oct 2015
View attachment 454671
I have had Gran Turismo Since GT1 - GT6, and I bought an Xbox One for the release of Forza Motorsport 6, And I must say I was blown away, The graphics are the best you will ever see, and the Physics is really good too, and in Spring Of 2016 The Porsche Expansion Pack Will be released, which you will never see in Gran Turismo, I returned my Xbox One until the Porsche Expansion Pack DLC, but every day I find myself on the verge of buying The XB1 again and playing until the Porsche Pack Is Offered, I don't think I'm going to make it until Spring 2016:lol:

And If you want GT7 when it is released, all you will need is a PS4 Console, and PS4 Servo Base, because The Wheel, Pedals, and Shifter are all compatible to the PS4 and XB1 Consoles, by the time GT7 is released the PS4 Servo based will be available for purchase too.
I actually played Forza Motorsport 6 last Saturday (sadly with a pad, still fun though) and it was amazing. I've always liked Forza...that's about the only title I care about on the Xbox tbh. With that said, I can't justify getting one just yet but maybe after I get a car in real life. Lol

I drove a M4, 1-Series M Coupe, M5 and the RS 7...holy **** they all felt so nice and distinct. It felt like I was really driving the 1-Series M Coupe even with the Xbox One pad. That's quality.

GT is not as good a simulator as most pc sims, but most pc sims aren't as good of a game as GT6 or Forza. PC sims are mostly about tuning and hotlapping or racing. There are no game economies, no unlocks, no prizes, no car customization or add on parts (although some like AC, RFactor etc. actively encourage modding and you can make entire cars from scratch if you want, tracks too). Forza6 and the XBone is an attractive option to the GT series as well. At this point, IMO, GT has car count going for it and a couple of other things like the VGT project and coursemaker. On just about every other front, most other games are superior.
I know nothing about tuning, so I should probably stick with the console sims. Besides, even though I'm playing to learn, it's still nice to be able to customize your car and even having a game economy. It makes the race 'matter' and gives it a more authentic feel. You want to win those credits to upgrade your car or buy a new one. What happens when you complete every track and are satisfied with your times? The small stuff matters a lot in simulators, imo. I'm contradicting myself but you all know what I'm saying (hopefully).

Gonna order a PS3 tomorrow. The wheel...hopefully I can find one for a suitable price because I want one ASAP. Then I need the damn shifting box...

I can do without a stand for a while but I'ma NEED the shifting box and wheel.

@MSX Hi, I will only comment on GT5 and 6 as those are the ones I have experience with. I came to GT5 pretty late in life after many years of driving and was blown away by the graphics. I used a hand controller for a couple of weeks, but I have huge clumsy hands and wanted to get maximum immersion in the game and maximum enjoyment. I was blown away and truly amazed by the performance of the Logitech Driving Force GT which I bought - suddenly I could feel understeer and oversteer, the car going light over crests etc. There are diminishing returns in the quest for greater immersion after that point, but I had read on GTPlanet about adding rumble effects via the use tactile transducers and low frequency amplifiers. So I experimented down that route. I also had read a lot of rave reviews for the Thrustmaster T500RS so when a chance came to buy a new one at a discount price I cancelled my order for a G27 and went for a T500 and sold my DFGT to a friend. Having got used to the T500 I couldn't go back to a lesser wheel, however my suggestion for what you do is as follows:

I was blown away by what a DFGT brings to the immersion in and enjoyment of the game (it's also a wheel used by many of the world's fastest drivers). The DFGT is not compatible with the PS4 (neither is the G27). Consider buying a secondhand DFGT - there should be many available at a low price and you should be able to sell it for the same money when you need to upgrade to a PS4 for a GT7. Avoid the G27 - compared with the DFGT they are relatively expensive and will almost certainly fall much more in value. Also you do not need a clutch or shifter to play GT6. The clutch model in the game is not good and you won't use a clutch when you start online racing - paddle shifters are so much faster for racing that no one uses a manual shifter unless they have to and on GT6 the Host cannot make clutch use compulsory via the room parameters so no sane person will use a clutch in GT6 except for offline.

You should be able to get the GT6 game secondhand for a very low price, but be prepared for it to take a very long time to complete the updating process. We are now on update 1.21 and each update happens in two parts so will probably take the best part of a day.

You can also get your PS3 secondhand - in the UK we have shops such as CEX where you can buy PS3's which have been checked and inspected - I notice that you are in the USA, but you must have similar shops. Even better buy a secondhand PS3 off a friend - most people will sell them when they get a PS4 or Xbone. Avoid the 12GB PS3 as it doesn't have the capacity for GT6 - get a 160GB or 500GB model.

You will need a good quality stand or rig - an office desk etc will not allow the correct ergonomic position for the wheel - bear in mind sometimes you will be in the chair for hours at a time so muscular aches and discomfort must be avoided at all costs. The best seats are those from a breakers yard from scrapped cars. Avoid seats from luxury models as they contain heavy electric motors - pick a cloth seat with manual adjustment - passenger seats from vans are often like new due to lack of wear.

Your rig or stand will get used again when you upgrade your wheel and it will seem painful spending money on one, but it is vital to buy a good one or build one that suits you and has the adjustability that you need. The biggest single reason why there are lofts full of DFGT's is because people were too tight to buy a stand so they packed them away and went back to using a hand controller.

If space is a problem I recommend a Wheelstand Pro - I use one with a comfortable sofa. I can't have a rig due to space and because the family share that room for watching movies. If you get a Wheelstand Pro plan ahead and buy the model for a top end wheel - I bought one for a DFGT then had to buy another for a T500.

If you want to up your immersion in the game you can do this with a cheap tactile transducer system (as you are in the USA use an Aura AST2B Pro4 from Parts Express and an amp stripped out of a secondhand subwoofer) - the money is seriously much better spent on this than a shifter. If you want some advice on tactile let me know.

I'm suggesting that you go for GT6, but do it with a DFGT and a secondhand PS3 so that you don't lose much money when it is time to upgrade to a PS4 and GT7. Get a rig or stand which is future proof. If you want to get a wheel now which is future proof consider a Thrustmaster T300 - I believe it has a better motor than a G29 plus it should be smoother and quieter as it has belt drive instead of gear drive.

Read some racing books - to get a perspective on machine preparation read Mark Donoghue's "An Unfair Advantage". Also read some books on race driving technique - there should be a few in your local library and there are lots of tutorials on youtube etc.

Finally - no matter how much practise you put in or how much learning you do, don't expect to be the next Lewis Hamilton or Vettel. You wouldn't expect to pick up a set of golf clubs and become the next Tiger Woods. I remember talking to a veteran pro-racer about this and he used that example and said that people think that because they can drive they can do what I do - he wasn't being immodest he was telling the truth - he was an ex British Championship front runner with over thirty years experience of driving on tracks on an almost daily basis. Exceptional results come from exceptional efforts, but there are some unbelievably fast drivers and you could be setting yourself up for a fall. Enjoy each improvement and gain in speed, but look at your own progress - don't judge yourself against the aliens, some of whom were probably born with a controller in there hand!

MSX

You will need a good quality stand or rig - an office desk etc will not allow the correct ergonomic position for the wheel - bear in mind sometimes you will be in the chair for hours at a time so muscular aches and discomfort must be avoided at all costs. The best seats are those from a breakers yard from scrapped cars. Avoid seats from luxury models as they contain heavy electric motors - pick a cloth seat with manual adjustment - passenger seats from vans are often like new due to lack of wear.

Your rig or stand will get used again when you upgrade your wheel and it will seem painful spending money on one, but it is vital to buy a good one or build one that suits you and has the adjustability that you need. The biggest single reason why there are lofts full of DFGT's is because people were too tight to buy a stand so they packed them away and went back to using a hand controller.

Yes you will need a wheelstand, when I transitioned from DS-3 To a Wheel I tried the portable folding table
trying to save a couple of dollars,
Folding Table.jpg
But trust me it does NOT work, the table is too light and flimsy, you will spend more energy concentrating trying not to flip the table:lol:, then you will on driving, and your lap times will suffer, plus it's very uncomfortable.:guilty:

Here are two great options for you:
1. Ultimate Wheelstand1.jpgUltimate Wheelstand2.5.jpg

Ultimate Wheelstand3.jpg
The ultimate Wheelstand is $89.99 with Free Shipping at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EG3ZA?keywords=Ultimate Wheelstand&qid=1443700990&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell
(You will have to drill holes in the base to secure the pedals to keep them from shifting Left and Right)

GT Omega Wheel Stand2.jpg GT Omega Wheel stand 500x500 3-500x560.jpg GT Omega Wheel Stand 3.jpg

The GT Omega is the best buy if you have a little extra it is all metal for $149.00 and you have a choice of two optional side gear shifter mount attachments available for $20.00 extra Sold in The U.S. and Free shipping
1Gear shifter mount.jpg
https://usa.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand

If you want A good mid grade wheel that is PS3 -PS4 comaptible for GT6 -GT7 Thrustmaster now has the NEW!! Thrustmaster T150 Force Feed Back Wheel Now Only $199.00 you saved $200.00 on the Wheel to invest in a good Wheelstand and you can Add-On Clutch and Gear Shifter as you progress in skill and cash in your own timing.:cheers:

Thrustmaster T 150RS.jpg
WOW!!! This Is SOLD OUT ALREADY at Amazon and newegg.com,
but is available at
http://www.alliancefurnishings.com/...p7PgS0QMInGPm-PTZpK3ARjgIcK6zOlZBqxoCRefw_wcB

The Wheelstand In the video Is the Wheelstand Pro, Sold in the U.S. for $139.00, but you can't use A clutch and Shifter with it, You will have to upgrade to the Wheelstand Pro Deluxe for $179.00 to accommodate a Clutch and Shifter Add-Ons. http://www.wheelstandpro.us/Thrustmaster-Wheel-Stands/ But if you want the T3PA Pro Peddles, You can't invert them to the GT position on the Wheelsand Pro or the GT Omega because of the screw hole placement on the stand, and angle of the peddle base on the GT Omega, but you can invert the T3PA Pro to the GT position on the Ultimate Wheelstand because the base is wood and you can drill holes in it to match the screw holes to match the peddles on the T3PA Pro and it is $80.00 Cheaper:D

Last edited:
@MSX

I was blown away by what a DFGT brings to the immersion in and enjoyment of the game (it's also a wheel used by many of the world's fastest drivers). The DFGT is not compatible with the PS4 (neither is the G27). Consider buying a secondhand DFGT - there should be many available at a low price and you should be able to sell it for the same money when you need to upgrade to a PS4 for a GT7. Avoid the G27 - compared with the DFGT they are relatively expensive and will almost certainly fall much more in value. Also you do not need a clutch or shifter to play GT6. The clutch model in the game is not good and you won't use a clutch when you start online racing - paddle shifters are so much faster for racing that no one uses a manual shifter unless they have to and on GT6 the Host cannot make clutch use compulsory via the room parameters so no sane person will use a clutch in GT6 except for offline.

You should be able to get the GT6 game secondhand for a very low price, but be prepared for it to take a very long time to complete the updating process. We are now on update 1.21 and each update happens in two parts so will probably take the best part of a day.

You can also get your PS3 secondhand - in the UK we have shops such as CEX where you can buy PS3's which have been checked and inspected - I notice that you are in the USA, but you must have similar shops. Even better buy a secondhand PS3 off a friend - most people will sell them when they get a PS4 or Xbone. Avoid the 12GB PS3 as it doesn't have the capacity for GT6 - get a 160GB or 500GB model.

If space is a problem I recommend a Wheelstand Pro - I use one with a comfortable sofa. I can't have a rig due to space and because the family share that room for watching movies. If you get a Wheelstand Pro plan ahead and buy the model for a top end wheel - I bought one for a DFGT then had to buy another for a T500.

If you want to up your immersion in the game you can do this with a cheap tactile transducer system (as you are in the USA use an Aura AST2B Pro4 from Parts Express and an amp stripped out of a secondhand subwoofer) - the money is seriously much better spent on this than a shifter. If you want some advice on tactile let me know.

I'm suggesting that you go for GT6, but do it with a DFGT and a secondhand PS3 so that you don't lose much money when it is time to upgrade to a PS4 and GT7. Get a rig or stand which is future proof. If you want to get a wheel now which is future proof consider a Thrustmaster T300 - I believe it has a better motor than a G29 plus it should be smoother and quieter as it has belt drive instead of gear drive.

Read some racing books - to get a perspective on machine preparation read Mark Donoghue's "An Unfair Advantage". Also read some books on race driving technique - there should be a few in your local library and there are lots of tutorials on youtube etc.

Finally - no matter how much practise you put in or how much learning you do, don't expect to be the next Lewis Hamilton or Vettel. You wouldn't expect to pick up a set of golf clubs and become the next Tiger Woods. I remember talking to a veteran pro-racer about this and he used that example and said that people think that because they can drive they can do what I do - he wasn't being immodest he was telling the truth - he was an ex British Championship front runner with over thirty years experience of driving on tracks on an almost daily basis. Exceptional results come from exceptional efforts, but there are some unbelievably fast drivers and you could be setting yourself up for a fall. Enjoy each improvement and gain in speed, but look at your own progress - don't judge yourself against the aliens, some of whom were probably born with a controller in there hand!
I was set on the G27 after watching some review videos (from people who actually play sims, not IGN.com) but if the DFGT is as good as you say it is, I'll go that route as I'm sure you know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I will say, I don't mind paying too much more for quality.

That's a real shame about the clutch basically being useless. I know there are mods and for the breaking pedal on the G27 but I haven't seen anything about the clutch being able to be modded. I was excited to use the clutch as I've only driven a Standard Trans once (got out of first gear AND the clutch was terrible...the catch point was at the very 'end'). So, that already took a lot of the fun out for me but I'm still on board. Man, that really sucks...

I didn't know that paddles were used more than shifters in High Performance Racing but now that I think about it, it makes a lot more sense (I don't know much about cars at all. Hell, I didn't even care about driving until I was 20 -- I turned 23 two days ago). Anyway, that makes the clutch problem a tad better.

GT6 is a good option, I agree. It's said to have the best track library of any simulator. Plus, it has tons of cars even though I only care about BMW, Audi, Subaru and Nissan.

I'll check out the Thrustmaster, a lot of people vouch for that wheel too.

I've heard that's a good book. There's another one that's only in German (name skipped my mind, sorry) that I'd really like to get my hands on but I cant read German. Unfortunately, though, my library actually does not have ANYTHING on racing and it sucks. I'll have to check out some other libraries.

Ah, trust me, I don't plan on being or want to be anything other than an exceptional driver who has impeccable precision. I understand that, although this is a driving/racing simulator, it's still (imo) very far from the real thing. High Performance Driving and especially racing requires a lot of skill, determination, knowledge on vehicles other than your own, patience, complete usage of 4 of the 5 senses (touch the wheel, a weird smell that could be coming from the engine, hearing, obviously vision) an understanding of balance (can't floor it all the time), working with systems like ABS, etc, etc, etc, etc...
There's a lot of depth that goes into this that a lot of people who like racing don't understand (not saying I do either but I understand it's there).

I watched the AMG series on High Performance Driving to brief me on the basis of this sport about 4 weeks ago. It's a cool little series but it was only meant to be a preview of their curriculum. Still an informative primer nonetheless.

Right now, in GT4, I'm trying to master the Line Technique, or at least get to a point where I will instinctively know what line I should take on any track (in game and real life). That's about the only thing I can gain from playing on my current set-up(GT4 and PS2 controller).

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes you will need a wheelstand, when I transitioned from DS-3 To a Wheel I tried the portable folding table
trying to save a couple of dollars,
View attachment 454861
But trust me it does NOT work, the table is too light and flimsy, you will spend more energy concentrating trying not to flip the table:lol:, then you will on driving, and your lap times will suffer, plus it very uncomfortable.:guilty:

Here are two great options for you:
1. View attachment 454869View attachment 454870

View attachment 454867
The ultimate Wheelstand is $89.99 with Free Shipping at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EG3ZA?keywords=Ultimate Wheelstand&qid=1443700990&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell
(You will have to drill holes in the base to secure the pedals to keep them from shifting Left and Right)
This seems fine. I'm not rough with my handling, so I shouldn't have any issues. As long as it's sturdy, I'm good.

Lol@ your old stand btw. I actually laughed out loud at that one.

MSX
I was wondering about this. So you're saying I'll be able to feel the weight of the car shift through the steering wheel? If so, that would be nice as I want to learn all I can about weight transferring.
Different games are better or worse at this. PC sims are generally the best, some of them like AC are outstanding, but all in all, they are all better than GT, even though GT is ok in that area.

I know nothing about tuning, so I should probably stick with the console sims. Besides, even though I'm playing to learn, it's still nice to be able to customize your car and even having a game economy.
That isn't necessarily a reason to go console. Many stock tunes on GT6 are bad, especially if they come with the stock 0.60 toe, which you can't change unless you buy a racing chassis. You'll also find that on pc sims tuning works the way it's supposed to for the most part, whereas in GT some things work, some don't, some have very little effect no matter what you do.

It makes the race 'matter' and gives it a more authentic feel. You want to win those credits to upgrade your car or buy a new one.
Depends. When you can win enough money in 20 minutes to buy 100 cars it kind of makes the game economy pointless. The time wasted buying those 100 cars is massive and IMO could be better spent actually racing, which is what you'd do in a sim. To each their own though.

What happens when you complete every track and are satisfied with your times?
Then you're a gamer, not a sim racer.:lol: Sim racers are never satisfied completely and there are way too many car/track combinations even in smaller games. Project Cars had only 70 cars or so at launch but it would have taken 1000 hours or more just to complete 5 laps in every combination in the game, not including menu and loading times.

The small stuff matters a lot in simulators, imo. I'm contradicting myself but you all know what I'm saying (hopefully).
It matters in both games, just to different degrees and with different things.

Gonna order a PS3 tomorrow. The wheel...hopefully I can find one for a suitable price because I want one ASAP. Then I need the damn shifting box...
If you plan on buying a PS4 or XBone, you might as well go next gen with your wheel to start. The shifter in GT6 isn't quite what it should be because the clutch model is terrible so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the shifter now. I'd be looking at a T150 or the G29 as a starter wheel for next gen or a DFGT as a cheap way to get through the next year or two if you're going PS3 for sure.

@MSX I broke my DFGT within a year during a crash on the Nurburgring. It isn't the most foolproof wheel ever made. It may be a great wheel for its price, but you can break it quite easily. My G27 still works fine after two years. The G27 may be twice as expensive, but it's for a reason. It has two FF motors, rather than the DFGT's single motor setup. With some fast turning, you can really feel the benefit of two motors. My DFGT always worked against me in fast cornering. Also the G27 has helical metal gearing inside of it, rather than the plastic straight cut gears the DFGT has. Also the G27 has a much better set of pedals. And besides that, with its leather, aluminium and seperate H-shifter, it feels a lot less like a toy than the DFGT.

If you are planning to get GT7 in the future, I would surely suggest to get a G29. Granted, it is too expensive compared to the G27, but it has PS4 support. I obviously would never go with the Thrustmaster T300 as it seems to have a lot of quality issues. There have been many reports of failing Thrustmaster T300 racing wheels.

Different games are better or worse at this. PC sims are generally the best, some of them like AC are outstanding, but all in all, they are all better than GT, even though GT is ok in that area. *

That isn't necessarily a reason to go console. Many stock tunes on GT6 are bad, especially if they come with the stock 0.60 toe, which you can't change unless you buy a racing chassis. You'll also find that on pc sims tuning works the way it's supposed to for the most part, whereas in GT some things work, some don't, some have very little effect no matter what you do. **

Depends. When you can win enough money in 20 minutes to buy 100 cars it kind of makes the game economy pointless. The time wasted buying those 100 cars is massive and IMO could be better spent actually racing, which is what you'd do in a sim. To each their own though. ***

Then you're a gamer, not a sim racer.:lol: Sim racers are never satisfied completely and there are way too many car/track combinations even in smaller games. Project Cars had only 70 cars or so at launch but it would have taken 1000 hours or more just to complete 5 laps in every combination in the game, not including menu and loading times. ****

It matters in both games, just to different degrees and with different things.

If you plan on buying a PS4 or XBone, you might as well go next gen with your wheel to start. The shifter in GT6 isn't quite what it should be because the clutch model is terrible so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the shifter now. I'd be looking at a T150 or the G29 as a starter wheel for next gen or a DFGT as a cheap way to get through the next year or two if you're going PS3 for sure.
*Deep down, I know I should just get a PC and play the more serious simulators but the convenience and portability of a console means too much to me. Maybe sometime in the future I will go that route, when GT no longer provides the experience I'm looking for.

**I had an odd feeling that most of the tuning options in GT (or any console sim) don't do too much, so that's no surprise but still a bummer. I get real into that stuff. I love being able to fully customize my car and grow with it, just like I would in real life. Truly becoming one with the car is the ultimate experience imo and features like the aforementioned helps.

*** That's a good point. I assumed it would be at least a tad difficult to accumulate credits but that would actually just make it a huge grind fest...not a challenge. Does GT6 provide any sort of true challenge? As in, is there anything in the game where I will need actual skill to complete instead of relying on getting lucky?
Trust me, I agree 100%. However, I like the idea of having a wide selection of vehicles and being able to tune them to certain styles, then test those styles out. So, I'd be racing a lot more than I would if I didn't have those options.

**** I'm a gamer and a driver. If I could, I'd be actually driving but that's a very expensive hobby that I, at 23 years old, cannot afford. Lol
All I want to do is drive, improve my handling, precision and overall driving skill. A simulator is the best way to go unless you have access to a track and all the other requirements to perform this sport safely. I used to want to street race...but a lot of people told me how lucky they've gotten/how they don't understand why they aren't in jail. After watching a couple street racing videos on Youtube, it didn't take long for me to frown upon the idea of it. I mean, maybe late at night in a secluded area far away from traffic...it's still risky as hell.

Anyway, I'm set on a PS3/G27/some sort of a stand. I'm sure by the time GT7 comes out, the PS4 will go down a tiny bit in price -- or they may even have a bundle. I'm hoping the G29 goes down in price by then but I doubt it will. I'm not too worried about it, I'll get it one way or another. Honestly, I just need something to keep me at home instead of going out and wasting money. This is the perfect thing as I'll never leave the house again. It's over, lol.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is a nice community.

T300 as it seems to have a lot of quality issues. There have been many reports of failing Thrustmaster T300 racing wheels.

You Can purchase a 4 Year extended Warranty with the Thrustmaster from Walmart.com and Newegg.com

Logitech as a company is questionable ethically, Dealing with the whole issue of NOT making the G25 and G27 compatible with the PS4, all of Thrustmaster wheels are compatible to both platforms, The Old and The New Thrustmasters. Logitech did not care about their customers who currently own the G25 & G27 wheels, and they are all ticked off. Thrustmaster is a better wheel than Logitheft I mean Logitech:lol:, Search it out on Youtube, Thrustmaster also offers an Ecosystem of interchangeable wheel Rims to choose from, Not found on Logitech.

MSX
*Deep down, I know I should just get a PC and play the more serious simulators but the convenience and portability of a console means too much to me. Maybe sometime in the future I will go that route, when GT no longer provides the experience I'm looking for.

**I had an odd feeling that most of the tuning options in GT (or any console sim) don't do too much, so that's no surprise but still a bummer. I get real into that stuff. I love being able to fully customize my car and grow with it, just like I would in real life. Truly becoming one with the car is the ultimate experience imo and features like the aforementioned helps

Gaming Sims like GT and Forza Motorsport are simulators, Because the tuning has a major realistic effect on the cars performance, don't let anybody tell you different, Gaming Sims are Simulators, they are just in a gaming format, That You have to earn credits and Unlock the Access of the cars, and that is just to add a dimension to prolong the completion of it. So the Access to cars are gamed, but the tuning and performance is all simulation. And If You want a Non-Gaming Sim on Console, where access to the cars are open, there is always Project CARS and coming Soon Asseto Corsa, So just because a racing title is on PC that doesn't make it a Sim. Remember Need For Speed is unapologetically Arcade:lol: And it too is on PC. What makes a racing title a Simulation is the realism of the physics: Aero, Suspension, Braking, Engine tuning, etc. and GT and Forza Motorsport fits into the realm of that reality, So there are two categories: 1.Gaming Sims, and 2.Non-Gaming Sims. Arcade is a term that should be used for Racing titles like Need For Speed, and The Crew, Forza Horizon, Mario Karts, because Realism is a non factor in these titles, When Virtual Racers are partisan to a Title or format they will throw the term "Arcade" around as a snub or degradation to a different Title, to claim superiority to their opinion. Guys like JohnnyPenso are very informative in this hobby, and I believe this is what he was saying. Some others may share information without verifying it as best they can. and since you are gathering information to make a major purchase I just wanted to make sure you have enough information and understanding to make the best choice for yourself.:cheers:

Last edited:
MSX
Probably the best route. It's the one I took and many of us follow the same path.

**I had an odd feeling that most of the tuning options in GT (or any console sim) don't do too much, so that's no surprise but still a bummer. I get real into that stuff. I love being able to fully customize my car and grow with it, just like I would in real life. Truly becoming one with the car is the ultimate experience imo and features like the aforementioned helps.
I experimented a lot with tuning in GT5 and GT6 and although you'll get different opinions, I found that many of the settings had little effect on the car in terms of lap times, which to me is the ultimate measurement. Dampers for example, made little difference to me, same with ARB's. Sure you can "feel" a slight difference but not much, but in the end it had little effect on lap times. Camber isn't working like it should either. We had a whole thread on camber and lots of testing and although those submitting tunes swore it made a difference, in the end tunes with camber were generally the same or slightly slower than those with 0/0 camber most of the time.

*** That's a good point. I assumed it would be at least a tad difficult to accumulate credits but that would actually just make it a huge grind fest...not a challenge. Does GT6 provide any sort of true challenge? As in, is there anything in the game where I will need actual skill to complete instead of relying on getting lucky?
License tests are challenging for some. Mostly you have to create your own challenges by nerfing your cars tires and/or performance level. Not unusual to win events against cars with 100 pp more than you have. I don't find that fun, others do.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is a nice community.
Yes it is:cheers:

Just ordered a G27 ($299.93 exact), should arrive Sunday. Now for the console and GT6.

I've seen PS3's as low as $70 on eBay, I'm not worried about that. It's the waiting I'm worried about. My weekend starts tonight and when that wheel gets here...god damn I'm going to want to do nothing but drive. Lol

It's nice that I can use it on PS2, didn't know about that.

Last edited:
MSX
Just ordered a G27 ($299.93 exact), should arrive Sunday. Now for the console and GT6

"Fahrvergnügen" An Volkswagen slogan from the 1990's meaning
(Happy Driving):cheers:

Oink on Youtube has tuning tutorials for GT5, Same theory for GT6

Not Sure if you are aware or not, but when GT7 is released the GT6 Online Server will be closed, and all you will have is Offline AI Races, GT6 A.I. is one of the worst, you may want to pick up Codemaster's Grid Autosport too, Offline a lot more fun than GT6 Offline.:D

If you are looking forward to GT7, You should have 15 Days to change your mind, and send it back for a full refund, and get a wheel that is PS3 and PS4 Compatible, because the G27 will NOT work on the PS4 for GT7.

Last edited:
Not Sure if you are aware or not, but when GT7 is released the GT6 Online Server will be closed, and all you will have is Offline AI Races

So yeah, sit around for a year or two and do nothing in the mean time. Great idea. :rolleyes: And you're obviously basing that assumption on GT5, which took a long time for them to shut those servers down. You make very little sense.

The decision to go for full RRP G27 is most illogical after the good and concise advice given.
Eh, not really. I can always sell the G27 when I'm ready to. Christmas is always an option too.

I chose the G27 because it's quality and a lot of sim players back it. Aside from some differences, it's said to feel almost identical to the G29.

I'm not that pressed about GT7 now that I made this thread. I actually took all advice into consideration. I'll worry about GT7 and wheel compatibility when a release date is shown (in before it's revealed next week to be released Jan 2016).

I should have considered these things before making the thread but I'm glad I made it anyway.

At the end of the day, NOTHING replicates actually getting on the track. The G27 and GT6 are merely a learning tool -- something other than watching videos and reading books.

So yeah, sit around for a year or two and do nothing in the mean time. Great idea. You make very little sense.

Maybe I make no sense to only you because you assume things that was never said or implied, which is beyond my understanding:confused:. I never said don't get GT6 and sit around and do nothing, My point was to weigh his options carefully about not getting a wheel that is not PS4 compatible, because he mentioned GT7 in his initial post for this thread. Everybody is trying to give MSX information to help him make a choice reaching his goal because he is new to Sim Racing, but I am failing to see the purpose of both of your comments.:odd: IJS.

I'm simply saying I think you're wrong. And with the advice or opinion you're giving doesn't make sense to me, or someone that wants to play now and doesn't care about a PS4 or GT7 (much), the latter of which has no set date to be released.

Nevermind you don't know his financial situation and he may not have any problems buying another wheel when GT7 comes around. People are still buying G27 wheels despite it not being compatible with a PS4. Why shouldn't he?

So yeah, sit around for a year or two and do nothing in the mean time. Great idea. :rolleyes: And you're obviously basing that assumption on GT5, which took a long time for them to shut those servers down. You make very little sense.
Or buy a PS4 compatible wheel that works on the PS3 instead of sitting around and doing nothing. Or race with a controller which a majority of gamers do until he's ready to go next gen. It took 6 months to shut down the GT5 servers, a pretty short time IMO considering servers are left running for years with some games. Once GT7 rolls the GT6 servers will be barren anyway. They were almost barren of any real sim racing outside of a few clubs and leagues, a year after launch.

I would say G29 but it's not cheap and might not even be needed for a year or more. I did ~15 years on a DS3 playing all the GT games and 100% recommend a wheel to anyone looking for GT to be a "sim". It changes everything.

6 months is not a short time and who cares about other games? We're talking about GT.

Maybe I'm just fortunate but I have more people on my friends list and such, clubs, tuning forum friends and people I hang with in person playing GT6 more than ever before. Most are on wheels, the majority on Logitech because it's not too expensive and we're having a lot of fun.

No matter, he's made a decision. And good for him. 👍

MSX
So I was thinking about getting a PS3, GT6, a racing wheel (probably the G29...) and the shifter attachment (really? they couldn't have included this...?)

MSX
My problem is...I'd rather not spend all this money and time just to have GT7 come out in 2016 (to my knowledge, it's expected to come out late 2016 or early 2017)

I'm simply saying I think you're wrong. And with the advice or opinion you're giving doesn't make sense to me, or someone that wants to play now and doesn't care about a PS4 or GT7 (much), the latter of which has no set date to be released.

Nevermind you don't know his financial situation and he may not have any problems buying another wheel when GT7 comes around. People are still buying G27 wheels despite it not being compatible with a PS4. Why shouldn't he?

OK now that you know in his initial post of his thread HE said he was thinking about getting A Logitech G29 considering the launch of GT7 and I posted a video of A comparison between A G29 and A Thrustmaster T300 for PS3 and PS4 compatibility which would be the best fit for him, and that makes no sense to you:odd: Well why is it that MSX liked my comment but you are offended by it? But you are speaking on his defense:confused::confused::confused: And you say I make no sense to you, maybe you need to start reading the context of a thread before you comment, because none of your comments are in reference to the context of his post or mine:boggled:

Back