Is just me or GT Sport looks better with HDR off?

• Thread starter MarkGT007
  • 95 comments
Chile
Chile
I have a x900e and I've tried every setting possible.

I can't get a better picture with HRD ON than with HDR off. Colors look more vibrant and black is deeper if I use HDR disabled.

Anyone else have this problem?

I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR and I like it on that game. But in GT Sport I can't find the right combination to make HDR better than SDR.

Sounds like a HDMI Black Level issue. Make sure both the PS4 and the TV are set to the same setting. Either both should be "Normal" or both should be "Low".
Where do I find the Black level on the ps4 and also on the X900E?

Thanks in advance

I was thinking in buying a HDR 4k tv just for GT Sport... you are killing my expectations now. Could someone post a picture of HDR on/off to compare?

i15jZXH7SkVCN.jpg

An interesting subject for me as a photography enthusiast.

I don't own a HDR tv as I'm not a fan of HDR in photography.

Not only that but I own two 3D tvs and bought the last one, my 55 inch that I use for GTS, just as the HDR phenomenon was just being introduced.

HDR in photography doesn't give you a traditional representation of what a camera takes.

Most images look overdone and produce a haloing effect around solid images.

HDR or higher dynamic range is a take on what the human eye sees.

It is not meant to be an enrichment of colour but an extension of brightness and shade.

If it's colour richness you're looking for, any tv has a saturation setting you can tweak.

A standard camera cannot take in one picture the extreme levels of light and darkness.

Typically there will be indistinguishable areas of blackness and/or overblown highlights.

The human eye sees this greater range and HDR is supposed to be a way of viewing this in picture form.

I would like to see this IRL for my self with a PS4 pro one day but to give up my 3D blurays...no way.

I don't think they're continuing to make the 3D tv's anymore however so I'm stockpiling as many films as I can.

They can still be viewed in the PSVR but it's not nearly as good at the moment.

I have a x900e and I've tried every setting possible.

I can't get a better picture with HRD ON than with HDR off. Colors look more vibrant and black is deeper if I use HDR disabled.

Anyone else have this problem?

I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR and I like it on that game. But in GT Sport I can't find the right combination to make HDR better than SDR.
Same here... it has been discussed few times already... Ultimately, if you haven't got a really expensive TV, the HDR content looks kind of dull - bad blacks, dark image, greyish whites etc.. Especially on the HDR-fake 8-bit LCD panels with low brightness. Safest bet are new Samsung high-end TVs or LG OLED TVs.

Perhaps you are using HDR color mode instead of the TV going into true HDR mode. Is your PS4 displaying HDR compatibility in the display settings? I have an x855D which is mid-range Sony and it looks fantastic.

Well, thank you all, you saved me a lot of money, as @Mat73 says if what you need is color richness... saturation.
All over internet there are examples of how amazing the HDR looks compared to the normal thing, but by logic I should not be able to feel it if the screen where I watch it is not HDR, am I right? So what they do for marketing purposes is they make the normal picture dull, and rubish. I have a 55 plasma and the game looks absolutely SPECTACULAR. I though that HDR would make it look even better. Perhaps I should buy a PS4 Pro instead

Well, thank you all, you saved me a lot of money, as @Mat73 says if what you need is color richness... saturation.
All over internet there are examples of how amazing the HDR looks compared to the normal thing, but by logic I should not be able to feel it if the screen where I watch it is not HDR, am I right? So what they do for marketing purposes is they make the normal picture dull, and rubish. I have a 55 plasma and the game looks absolutely SPECTACULAR. I though that HDR would make it look even better. Perhaps I should buy a PS4 Pro instead

The HDR he is referring to on cameras and such has nothing to do with the HDR 10 standard. Television HDR is wider color gamut, increased peak brightness and more uniform blacks, whereas camera HDR color modes are just artistic over-saturation.

The HDR he is referring to on cameras and such has nothing to do with the HDR 10 standard. Television HDR is wider color gamut, increased peak brightness and more uniform blacks, whereas camera HDR color modes are just artistic over-saturation.

Yeah, you're 100% correct on what you've said about the television HDR.

If that's what you're after then it would be a sound investment.

For me, with a new tv, the first thing I do, as I've a lot of trees and greenery outside my window is find an image with similar trees and greenery and match the two....usually by turning the colour or color (depending on you geographical location) down.

I like a realistic view on my tv which is why i dont use my Samsung's gaming mode.

The view on my phone's screen heavily oversaturates images too.

That being said I would still like to view the combo of 4k HDR and ps4 pro sometime....always open to new experiences.

Edited to correct stupid autocorrect...again

Would be nice to hear from OP @MarkGT007 concerning his TV setup. i.e. if he is using the HDR color mode or if his TV automatically is going into HDR 10 mode. His TV is a good one, 2017 model. Mine is the same TV but 2016 model. GTS, Horizon Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, World of Tanks, Infamous, every game I have tried in HDR the improvement is noticeable and jaw-dropping. So I assume he either has an incorrect setup or a faulty TV.

BTW, vanilla PS4 also supports HDR. For anyone looking to upgrade I would upgrade to a 4K HDR TV before thinking of upgrading to the Pro. 4K is nice and all but similar to the jump from 720p to 1080p, whereas the jump from non-HDR to HDR10 has a wow factor akin to the jump from SD to HD.

It's a shame the idiots that came up with HDR10 and DolbyVision decided to name this tech "HDR" when we already had HDR color saturation in cameras. It has only led to confusion. They are two completely different things.

GTS is glorious in HDR and I really hope we can help OP to resolve his issue as games that support HDR are really on another level visually with an HDR-capable TV.

Would be nice to hear from OP @MarkGT007 concerning his TV setup. i.e. if he is using the HDR color mode or if his TV automatically is going into HDR 10 mode. His TV is a good one, 2017 model. Mine is the same TV but 2016 model. GTS, Horizon Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, World of Tanks, Infamous, every game I have tried in HDR the improvement is noticeable and jaw-dropping. So I assume he either has an incorrect setup or a faulty TV.

BTW, vanilla PS4 also supports HDR. For anyone looking to upgrade I would upgrade to a 4K HDR TV before thinking of upgrading to the Pro. 4K is nice and all but similar to the jump from 720p to 1080p, whereas the jump from non-HDR to HDR10 has a wow factor akin to the jump from SD to HD.

It's a shame the idiots that came up with HDR10 and DolbyVision decided to name this tech "HDR" when we already had HDR color saturation in cameras. It has only led to confusion. They are two completely different things.

GTS is glorious in HDR and I really hope we can help OP to resolve his issue as games that support HDR are really on another level visually with and HDR-capable TV.
That's what I do. Have Sony Bravia 43" 4K from 2017. No Ps4 pro.

sorry for the dumb question, I'm not very techy. What is the real difference between PS4 and PS4 pro, in terms of GT Sport (I rarely play any other game)

sorry for the dumb question, I'm not very techy. What is the real difference between PS4 and PS4 pro, in terms of GT Sport (I rarely play any other game)

The only difference is resolution (1800p) and framerate (almost-locked 60fps).

EDIT: Vanilla PS4 also runs at 60fps but from what I understand can have some stuttering at times.

You must not have set it up correctly. I have a X900E as well and the difference is night and day, HDR looks awesome on it. At first though I screwed up the calibration as I interpreted the set up wrong where it says to make the squares disappear I think. You also have to enable HDR in the tv and use the right HDMI port on the tv without any incompatible amplifier or switch in between. I have HDR peak brightness at +5 which works best. Set it wrong and the picture will look washed out.

HDR is much better than without. It looks amazing in the SotC remake as well. Unfortunately when you take screenshots a lot of it is lost and some things are plain invisible on the screenshot.

Ok, you don't need a HDR screen to feel the difference (again, I'm not very techy). I just took this pictures with my mobile
which one is HDR and which one is SDR
1IMG_0940.JPG 2 IMG_0941.JPG

I put them in full size here in the same order
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG

Ok, you don't need a HDR screen to feel the difference (again, I'm not very techy). I just took this pictures with my mobile
which one is HDR and which one is SDR
1View attachment 752592 2 View attachment 752593

I put them in full size here in the same order
View attachment 752592 View attachment 752593

What mobile phone do you have? Very few have HDR screens. But all mobile cameras have an HDR filter that over-saturates images for effect.

An HDR display and the HDR10 and DolbyVision standards are not the same as the HDR camera filter. To truly see the difference between true HDR content and non-HDR content is, firstly, to have an HDR compatible display. Second, you need a HDR content source. Netflix and YouTube are not good sources since their signals are highly compressed and loose fidelity (YouTube is better than Netflix, though). Both the PS4 and PS4 Pro do support HDR. If you don't have an HDR display in your house the only way to see it working is to go to a store and watch a demo on an HDR TV. Even then you don't know if it's calibrated properly or showing the correct content. Ask for the remote and look with the display button or in the picture settings to see if the TV is in HDR or Enhanced HDMI mode.

Trust me, HDR10 vs non-HDR is night and day. HDR10 does not saturate the images. It uses wide color gamut and higher beak brightness to produce a more realistic, life-like image. Some of the better TVs like OLEDs also have local dimming which makes the blackest blacks you will see outside a cave. This article is very informative and helps to reduce the confusion between camera HDR and TV HDR: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/

Quote from that article:

Photo HDR isn't TV HDR
One of the most important things to know about HDR TVs is that TV HDR is not the same as photo HDR. Every article I've written about HDR has comments from people complaining about the hyper-realistic look common with HDR photography. These are two very different things that, unfortunately and confusingly, just happen to share the same name. Like football and football.

I wrote an entire article about the difference, but the main takeaway is that HDR for TVs is not a picture-degrading gimmick (akin to the soap opera effect). It is definitely not that.

TV HDR: Expanding the TV's contrast ratio and color palette to offer a more realistic, natural image than what's possible with today's HDTVs.

Photo HDR: Combining multiple images with different exposures to create a single image that mimics a greater dynamic range.

Here is my comparison on GT sport usin pictures taken on phone. One with hdr on, on the phone and HDR on, on the TV. And another off and off.

TV used Sony Bravia x800e 43", camera Sony Xperia XZ Premium 19MP mode.

View attachment 752606 View attachment 752608
Hope this clears stuff up

Thanks, the difference is quite clear there. However, everyone keep in mind that even with that pic of HDR mode we still can't appreciate what HDR is unless Taylor's phone has an HDR-compatible camera and display and also uploads the pic to a place that has HDR playback support, and then we in turn view it with an HDR-compatible device.

Let's wait for OP to write back and see if maybe he had his TV in HDR color mode instead of HDR10 mode. That is probably what happened. I can't imagine HDR under any circumstance looking worse than non-HDR.

Back