Is just me or GT Sport looks better with HDR off?

• Thread starter MarkGT007
  • 95 comments
Got a new TV yesterday. Sony BRAVIA XG83. It's a mid-range 4K TV with LED LCD IPS panel. And looks like I'll be sticking to the SDR mode.
HDR does look better... but only in bright scenes or if the TV is in a bright room. In a dark room, the dark scenes glow.

These photos are made using the manual camera settings. The same settings for the SDR and HDR modes to avoid automatic exposure control.

HDR off.
The backlight is not noticeable. You can use the light sensor function on the TV.
aBAyacOcLnc.jpg

HDR on. The backlight is bright. You can't use the light sensor on the TV.
m96zoSWN6y0.jpg

And here are the screenshots directly from the game. I have an ordinary PS4.

HDR off.
vgklDg79AiI.jpg

HDR on. The viper red looks better without losing details. The sunset also looks better in HDR. But that backlight glow during dark scenes ruins everything for me. -_-
IwxiOH30is8.jpg

EDIT: Made a sunset comparison.

HDR off.
VZ1F6TFZ_pc.jpg

HDR on minimum. Looks almost like SDR.
oxO3owI7w9M.jpg

HDR on maximum. Adds more brightness to the sun. More color and details to the clouds.
MSeZZBcB1ks.jpg

But again, also adds more backlight glow to the dark areas.
Update! I found a way to fix the glowing screen during dark scenes! Just turn on the "advanced contrast enhancer" to low setting.
Medium and high setting crush the colors and details, but low setting just controls the backlight without ruining the original picture. =)

I guess I'll be sticking to HDR after all. ^_^'

Update! I found a way to fix the glowing screen during dark scenes! Just turn on the "advanced contrast enhancer" to low setting.
Medium and high setting crush the colors and details, but low setting just controls the backlight without ruining the original picture. =)

I guess I'll be sticking to HDR after all. ^_^'

I did this last night as well. Haven’t really run the full night tracks, but it was a touch washed out on medium setting, so I put it to low and it helped.

You only really notice in late night conditions. Sundown/rise the HDR is amazing in both.

Can someone help me with my LG 55SJ810V please? Here is a link to my TV specs...

I've just turned off all HDR on my TV and PS4 pro because I was getting the feeling something wasn't right because it looked all washed out and too bright with an almost yellow haze most of the time. Now after turning all HDR off it actually looks ok and I would say better. But if I'm missing outon something nice with HDR and if my TV can support it in a good way then I would like to try it.

I read that maybe my TV is slightly too old to support true HDR? I only really bought it for the game mode.

Can someone help me with my LG 55SJ810V please? Here is a link to my TV specs...

I've just turned off all HDR on my TV and PS4 pro because I was getting the feeling something wasn't right because it looked all washed out and too bright with an almost yellow haze most of the time. Now after turning all HDR off it actually looks ok and I would say better. But if I'm missing outon something nice with HDR and if my TV can support it in a good way then I would like to try it.

I read that maybe my TV is slightly too old to support true HDR? I only really bought it for the game mode.
I would say the Problem with your TV might be the relatively low max. cd output of just 300cd/m2 in combination with the IPS LCD Technology. Most definitely.
I switched from an LG 55” non HDR Oled to a Sony X900H and all I can say that the HDR on the Sony is just gorgeous.
The Sony has a peak brightness of 750cd/m2 and combined with its Local Dimming Technology I’d say that’s a Value where HDR actually starts to make sense.
In your case I would just turn HDR off, it just doesn’t make sense.
You‘ll still get a relatively good Picture without washed out Colors and greyish Blacks.
Once you experience how good HDR can look, trust me, you’ll never go back :D

Last edited:

Might be a silly question , but do you have HDR output turned on in the game itself?
I made that mistake,HDR turned on for TV and console but not game,once i had all 3 on,it fixed the problems i had.:cheers:

I think everything is turned on or off and matching the way it should be but I think I would need someone to lay it all out simply so I can look through and confirm it all. There's other colour things that need to match too?

When at my friend's house I forgot to put game mode on her TV. I'm very sensitive to changes like game mode and even drops in frame rate online, ended up getting a reset from A+ in one of my alt accounts because of it. Was wondering what the hell was going on because it was a track I'm very good at and was struggling.

Back