Is Kazunori setting people up for those who dont have internet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter imaweirdo
  • 86 comments
  • 6,108 views
You don't get the full experience with today's generation of games unless you have an HDTV (3DTV now) but does that mean people with a standard TV should be surprised or upset that they're missing out? I see the internet thing the same way - it's not up to Sony what you don't have access to.

There's a few games with near unreadable text on SDTVs, all because they were made for HD not SD. People complain, of course, but their complaints go pretty unnoticed because they're the minority.

So, welcome to the age of console gaming with hard drives and always on internet connections. This was inevitable and we all saw it coming, it's not just Gran Turismo most games out there are being released in various states. Some are missing features, some are broken, some don't work at all online.... as soon as we accepted hard drives and internet connections for consoles, this was only ever going to be the result.
 
I have a related problem. Due to my rural location, I have mobile broadband, and the connection speed varies quite a bit, from 56k or so to 300mb. My problem is the PS3 TIMES OUT TOO QUICKLY when trying to download, and it can take me a day (or much more!) to get a 150 mb file with it, and while that is going on, I can't use my PS3. With my PC, though, I can use more persistent download software and get the file in an hour or two.

I have downloaded PS3 updates to my PC, and applied them to my PS3 using a flash drive - so why can't the GT5 guys allow me to apply their updates the same way. Either that or get SONY to extend the time the PS3 will try to continue a download.

Its a simple enough request, but how can I get my message to the appropriate people?
 
Well you don't remember them because you have decent taste in games. You and your friends knew enough to avoid them. But somewhere, some kid got Shaq-Fu or Superman 64 for Christmas.

I see what you are saying, I was thinking the PC world (as that's where the patch thing started and that's what I was talking about when I said I had argued the direction it would go in).

I would however argue that those games were not necessarily unfinished, they were just 🤬 games... notice something about all the ones you listed (including ET)? They are all tie in games... they have always been notoriously crappy not because they couldn't be patched (we have had crappy tie ins in the current era of patching) but becuase they are tie ins... the games are low budget crap usually because they know the name on the game will sell it a lot.

Yeah these broken crappy games had bad sales and were panned. That's what I meant in the Backbreaker example. It had mixed reviews and fans saw problems. They patched it and essentially fixed the game, making the best of things and making enough people take notice of them that now they may be successful enough to try again in a sequel. Without patches, these things don't happen, and Shaq-Fu stays Shaq-Fu.

I didn't play backbreaker, but I will take your word they fixed it.

Shaq fu... I don't think they would have fixed Shaw fu... I think it was a horrible game from the ground up.

Please don't make me compile a list of essentially flawed games that were basically betas that I played through on virtually every home console since Atari was making them.

I won't, but I will say I was thinking about PC games (not that that in some way invalidates console games) but I honestly don't htink a lot of the bad console games would have been fixed by patching.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, E.T. for the Atari was a massively hyped, unfinished, buggy, garbage-y mess that almost killed the entire video game industry in the early 80s. Too bad they couldn't patch it.

That could have been resolved by not giving them a ridiculously short dev time to tie into an unreleased movie (that's happened recently as well) and it's another game I doubt could/would have been patched to any kind of success... I think it was doomed to tie in death from the start.

Take a look at the back of the GT5 box and look at all the online stuff advertised. Multiplayer, Leaderboards, Lobbies/Matchmaking, Add On Content... As a consumer, I'm not all that surprised that without an internet connection I'm not getting the full experience. Hard to get that Add On Content that they tell you about right on the box without a net connection, but I don't think that should be a surprise to any reasonable consumer.

It's fair enough to say that without internet you aren't missing those things anyway (As they are mostly online play related) however it doesn't change that they weren't there from the get go.

Then you have things like the cars slowing down when you touch their rear bumpers screwing up a lot of the single player recing... perhaps not written as a feature on the box, but it shouldn't be an issue and without internet you aren't getting even the first patch which addressed it.

You don't get the full experience with today's generation of games unless you have an HDTV (3DTV now) but does that mean people with a standard TV should be surprised or upset that they're missing out? I see the internet thing the same way - it's not up to Sony what you don't have access to.

I see what you are saying, but I do think it's a little different. To go back to my car AC/trailer analogy, that would be more like being surprised that because you don't have a garage, you can't park your car in your garage.

Interestingly I have gone to a lot of peoples houses who were unhappy with their HDTVs... they said it looks just like standard def TV... turns out they were not using cables capable of carrying an HD picture.

The difference as I see it is that one is a case of not being educated about your product to not know what you will be missing and the other is making it impossible to get things after the fact no matter how educated you were. No one, no matter how much they know about and understand technology can know before purchase what would be available only via an internet connect after purchase, however they COULD know about what their TV can display (whether they do or not is a different matter).

There's a few games with near unreadable text on SDTVs, all because they were made for HD not SD. People complain, of course, but their complaints go pretty unnoticed because they're the minority.

So, welcome to the age of console gaming with hard drives and always on internet connections. This was inevitable and we all saw it coming, it's not just Gran Turismo most games out there are being released in various states. Some are missing features, some are broken, some don't work at all online.... as soon as we accepted hard drives and internet connections for consoles, this was only ever going to be the result.

Actually I believe MS (and Sony?) require a game be playable and readable on a 480p screen. This includes minimum font size.

Sometimes a game will break this rule which is unfortunate, but there are actually rules in place to try and prevent exactly this kind of shortcoming from happening.
 
I live in a rural area, I guess you could say. I live about a mile and a half from town, and about 5 miles from the university of notre dame. My road does not have any broadband capabilities, even tho there is cable and dsl availability just a few thousand ft or a few miles away. My brother lives probably 1.5 to 2 miles away, and he has broadband, so if I absolutley have to I can take my ps3 over there, but it is a pain to do it.

And to those ignorant retards who are thinking oh but your posting here durrrrrrrr. You can use this site with dial up but not Dial up on your ps3. I'm posting this on an iPhone. Mobile broadband is too expensive/extortion as is satelite Internet, and neither is good enough to game on.

Broadband penetration is a huge problem in a lot of countries. Skorea has done broadband right. The govt of skorea has made it a priority for them to make sure everyone in their country has access. The US has left it up to the private sector which in more ways than should be legally allowed have raped the public. But that's another matter. The US size also is a problem.
 
Last edited:
I remember years ago when the internet made distributing patches feasible I argued that it was a bad thing and the slippery slope would one day lead to people expecting and rationlizing the release of unifinished products becuase "they can be patched".

I was told I was a whiner and it would never come to that, patches would only make things BETTER becuase "imagine what the agmes of the last few years would have been like if the devs could have relased patches for them!".

Well fast forward 10-15 years and look where we are :(\
I totally 100% Agree with you that, since the dev can patch the game they are relaying more on us. I am just telling the OP know that its not just KAZ and PD that does it. I miss good old day when you pop the cd in it worked. Now i know every new game that comes out will have its problem and i am always looking forward to patches.
 
Do you want to go back to how it was before consoles were net connected? Unfinished games would be released all the time and they'd never, ever be fixed.

Back in my day, young one, you stuck the cartridge in the box, turned on the doo-hickey, and it just worked.

Geez what year are we living in? You're on the internet now posting on GTP are you not?Buy an axe, learn to chop, build a bridge and get over it. Sick of hearing people whinge about having to dload patches for the game, bunch of crybabies!

I love patches. I absolutely adore them. They improved GT5P immensely over the year I played. BUT:

The entire world isn't urban America... or urban Europe.

I am a super-moderator on this site and a moderator or former moderator on a few others. I have been on the car forums for over a decade and my posts strung end to end would stretch to Mars and halfway back.

One of my jobs is actually as a writer for an internet-based car magazine.

But right now... I'm typing this through a 300k (when I'm lucky) connection... that degrades to 38k when my wireless service defaults to GPRS.

Yeah... I'm a hick. I've got five cars in the garage, I have several laptops, a PS3, a desktop, a Unichip car-programmer, a V-Box, one or two GPS capable cameras and a SmartPhone. But decent broadband? Hah! it took me nearly a day to download each update for GT5P. That's as long as it wasn't cloudy outside... or the PSN network wasn't crashing... or...

My online play in GT5P consisted of waiting for the right phase of the moon and clear skies. Then I could actually get on... then get my butt kicked because my lag was so great at times that the car was undriveable. When I had a clear connection, I had a blast. But that wasn't often.

There are a lot of people with no decent internet. And while I won't bemoan patching and DLCs, as they allow some awesome content to get to gamers who can get to them... there are some of us who don't have the baud-rates to download gigabytes worth of patches.

For those of us with these issues... we would like options. Options to go out to a retailer, copy the DLC or patch to a USB drive, then download them to the computer. Options that PC users are given up-front by any PC software company that matters, as PC software makers realize that not every single PC in the universe is net-connected.

Rant off. Thank you.
 
I think that both internet and game updates are necessary,in example updates for halo and CoD games to remove glitches for players to take advantages,and of course multiplayer which these days is basic for the gaming community and for game users in general,Its like saying that CoD games are based to much on internet,is ridiculous.

GT didn't have online multiplayer until GT5prologue,and while GT4 was one of the best games at its time it was consider that the game would be better if it had online multiplayer.

Also Xbox success wouldn't be possible without internet and the xboxlive service, adding to that the success of games like CoD franchise,Halo games,FM2 which was stab in the back by their own developers who took everything away to make a stupid matchmaking system,BF series and so on.

The real problem that I found here is that GT users doest get used to online multiplayer,nowadays after a game is complete the only thing left is multiplayer which happens to be the future after GTMode is completed after(I reckon) 2 to 3 months.
 
Actually I believe MS (and Sony?) require a game be playable and readable on a 480p screen. This includes minimum font size.

Sometimes a game will break this rule which is unfortunate, but there are actually rules in place to try and prevent exactly this kind of shortcoming from happening.

"Readable" is definitely a loose term. Mass Effect 2 had a tiny text issue and BioWare never fixed it.
 
I know in the mountains(in the US) most still don't have any type of broadband connection.

Can you even play online with dial-up???

Which "mountains" exactly? I live at 7500' in the Rocky's and broadband is just as prevalent here as it is in any comparable flatland location.



Regardless, I am somewhat surprised that Sony doesn't let you install patches from physical media.
 
For those of us with these issues... we would like options. Options to go out to a retailer, copy the DLC or patch to a USB drive, then download them to the computer. Options that PC users are given up-front by any PC software company that matters, as PC software makers realize that not every single PC in the universe is net-connected.
As I was reading this thread over, that thought had come to me too. You guys who don't have direct net access even through friends might consider writing the offices of those shops who sell close to you. Tell them that you would appreciate support like this, and consider it pretty important to continued business with them.
 
Which "mountains" exactly? I live at 7500' in the Rocky's and broadband is just as prevalent here as it is in any comparable flatland location.
In the Adirondacks, the only broadband you can usually get is from (gratuitously expensive) satellite services. A lot of times not even from them.
 
I'm actually happy that a local chain now sells iTunes credits and PSN credits (or whatever they're called, have to check it out).

Many of us who don't live in the US and who don't want to put up with the hassles of having a credit card don't have an easy way of conducting business online... gift vouchers are the best thing for us.

Mind you... I can actually download stuff via broadband... if I go over to a friend's place. But there are many gamers out there who don't have that kind of access. I didn't have any internet access of any sort for years... I basically lived my online life via Internet Cafes until just a few years ago. And yet, I had a PS1 and a PS2, and I've been working as a layout artist for decades.
 
Sorry guys but having the internet does not equal PS3 internet access by default.

Dial-up will not work on PS3.
Mobile Broadband (which I have) will not work on PS3.

Internet access is not the same the world over, Australia has an appalling broadband service and it costs considerable money to have a big enough and fast enough broadband account to warrant online gaming, so I don't bother with it.
But now because I don't have the 'right' internet, I'm stuck with a broken game?

That is ****ed in my opinion.
 
"Readable" is definitely a loose term. Mass Effect 2 had a tiny text issue and BioWare never fixed it.

That's just one of the games that broke the rule... I remember reading about it a while back on some gaming site.

The rule is why the font on fallout is so huge.

Sorry guys but having the internet does not equal PS3 internet access by default.

Dial-up will not work on PS3.
Mobile Broadband (which I have) will not work on PS3.

Internet access is not the same the world over, Australia has an appalling broadband service and it costs considerable money to have a big enough and fast enough broadband account to warrant online gaming, so I don't bother with it.
But now because I don't have the 'right' internet, I'm stuck with a broken game?

That is ****ed in my opinion.

I hope you gus who keep insisting that having a PS3 with no broadband is a priority issue finally wise up and realize that how things work in your neighborhood is not how things work everywhere.
 
I know in the mountains(in the US) most still don't have any type of broadband connection.

Can you even play online with dial-up???

Ya we do.. its called Satellite. 👍

It sucks compared to regular dsl or cable, but it is sufficient.
 
I'm seeing the mechanical damage patch but its only available to those who have internet connection to download it. Is Kaz on the path of setting up those people without internet to download the features that should have been in the final development? He did say more things coming our way.

I just have to ask: WHO, just who goes out and buys a PS3, Gran Turismo 5, with NO internet connection. It's gotta be like 1%.
 
Sorry guys but having the internet does not equal PS3 internet access by default.

Dial-up will not work on PS3.
Mobile Broadband (which I have) will not work on PS3.

Internet access is not the same the world over, Australia has an appalling broadband service and it costs considerable money to have a big enough and fast enough broadband account to warrant online gaming, so I don't bother with it.
But now because I don't have the 'right' internet, I'm stuck with a broken game?

That is ****ed in my opinion.

You do have a very good point...but, that's just the way things are in this generation. Games, like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc, etc are constantly updated through online patches.
 
I just have to ask: WHO, just who goes out and buys a PS3, Gran Turismo 5, with NO internet connection. It's gotta be like 1%.

943168019d1240763972-sourcebans-facepalm21.jpg

:rolleyes:
 
Or maybe it depends on where you life,there are places where every home has it own ISP services,while there are places where there isn't even telephone line,but if someone owns a current generation console or actually play videogames is obvious that it should have internet connection,I mean if you can afford a $300 piece of plastic and a $60 smaller piece of plastic you should by logic have your own internet service.

Besides this is sort of nick piking to be honest,I mean we are using internet and everyone that I know has internet,Its like saying some like:

Is Kazunori setting people up for those who dont have (blu-ray disc/PS3's/TV's,etc..)?
 
Besides this is sort of nick piking to be honest,I mean we are using internet and everyone that I know has internet,Its like saying some like:

Is Kazunori setting people up for those who dont have (blu-ray disc/PS3's/TV's,etc..)?

You should read a few posts back in this thread...

Also it's not the same to say he is setting up those without tv or PS3. You CAN research before purchase and know that you need a TV and PS3 to play. It's possible you are not smart enough to figure it out or just don't bother to research, but you CAN find out.

With internet fixes, you cannot know before you buy what you will not be getting. Especially if the box says it right on the box with no disclaimer that it will come later or needs to be downloaded.

So everyone who bought the game and didn't have a PS3 or TV, they are stuck but they COULD have educated themselves on this before hand.

But those without internet could not have ever known what they would not be getting before it's too late.

That's the difference between false advertising and an uninformed consumer. Uninformed consumer is just someone who didn't do a reasonable amount of homework. False advertising is when you are told something and have no one to trust but the seller, but then it turns out to be false.

BTW you will notice on the back of your game box (at least in the US) it spells out that you will need an HD TV and appropriate cables to get the HD video. Nowhere does it say that you will have to have broadband to get all things advertised in this game because we have left some out.
 
It's a big stretch to say that everyone has a decent internet connection.

It's much less of a stretch to say that most people with a PS3 are connected to the internet.

If they don't have internet acess then they wouldn't need the patch they don't know about. :sly: cuz they probably live in a cave.
 
You should read a few posts back in this thread...

Also it's not the same to say he is setting up those without tv or PS3. You CAN research before purchase and know that you need a TV and PS3 to play. It's possible you are not smart enough to figure it out or just don't bother to research, but you CAN find out.

With internet fixes, you cannot know before you buy what you will not be getting. Especially if the box says it right on the box with no disclaimer that it will come later or needs to be downloaded.

So everyone who bought the game and didn't have a PS3 or TV, they are stuck but they COULD have educated themselves on this before hand.

But those without internet could not have ever known what they would not be getting before it's too late.

That's the difference between false advertising and an uninformed consumer. Uninformed consumer is just someone who didn't do a reasonable amount of homework. False advertising is when you are told something and have no one to trust but the seller, but then it turns out to be false.

BTW you will notice on the back of your game box (at least in the US) it spells out that you will need an HD TV and appropriate cables to get the HD video. Nowhere does it say that you will have to have broadband to get all things advertised in this game because we have left some out.

I still take my position because I have a US copy(shipped due to language understating problems),and I saw the JP copy and both say that a broadband internet connection is required to play online,and since online play is getting mostly affected by updates,is fair to say that is not wrong advertising but incorrect game showing,it may not be fair but I still maintain that IF you have $300 for a console and $60 for a game then you should have internet connection,besides in both JP and US publicity campaigns it was advertised the multiplayer features which of course require internet connection.

I also think that is more a generation problem,GT3 and GT4 users have internet,their own Xbox Live/PSN service and FM3/GT5 nowadays,and new users get to know the game mostly by publicity campaigns over the internet.

I get the point but if it is the case then games like CoD,BF series,and a huge part of PC gaming(if is not all of it) would be set up by companies.

Everyone knows that no games is perfect(except for Ace Combat Zero but that is just me)and therefore should be after market option to improve or fix it(like Fallout New Vegas which will be broken forever without updates),apart from that(and a pain in the neck)there is updates of almost every game in console gaming so it just necessary for Console users these days.
 
There are terms and conditions that come with both the PS3 and all game discs that inform you updates require an internet connection. If you choose to buy them anyway it's your own decision. You wouldn't buy a plant unless you had the water to feed it, and if you did you'd buy it knowing it wasn't going to perform to it's fullest potential.
 
I dont understand why you would even care about the patches............ all they have done is junk for online play only.


And to the person saying mobile broadband is to slow for online gaming. When I was an over the road truck driver the last couple years I played starcraft / warcraft 3 / world of warcraft just fine online, as long as I was on a 3g connection.
 
I live in New Jersey, and only recently has broadband become accessible to at least some people. Even if you have the money, sometimes the infrastructure doesn't exist, even in the US. Game companies should really finish their games instead of the incomplete messes they've given use recently.
 
I mean if you can afford a $300 piece of plastic and a $60 smaller piece of plastic you should by logic have your own internet service.
it may not be fair but I still maintain that IF you have $300 for a console and $60 for a game then you should have internet connection
My grandmother once asked how much it would cost to get broadband internet in her home, before satellite internet. She only lives 2 miles outside of the nearest town. They gave her an honest-to-god estimate and wrote her an invoice. You know how much it was for? $11,000.


And I know people who live in places where they can't get any broadband at all. Not even satellite.

There are terms and conditions that come with both the PS3 and all game discs that inform you updates require an internet connection. If you choose to buy them anyway it's your own decision. You wouldn't buy a plant unless you had the water to feed it, and if you did you'd buy it knowing it wasn't going to perform to it's fullest potential.
And when buying a game with the knowledge that you won't be using the multiplayer you have an expectation that at least the single player modes would have gone through an acceptable amount of QA work.

I dont understand why you would even care about the patches............ all they have done is junk for online play only.
So far. There is also quite a bit of single player stuff for PD to look into fixing.
 
Last edited:
I live in New Jersey, and only recently has broadband become accessible to at least some people. Even if you have the money, sometimes the infrastructure doesn't exist, even in the US. Game companies should really finish their games instead of the incomplete messes they've given use recently.

What part of the boondocks in Jersey are you living in? I live in Brooklyn, NY and I've had Broadband access since 2000. Unless you live way up north close to Niagara then you might be without broadband. Pays to live in large metropolitan areas as they get dibs of the good stuff first. They get the largest allocation of everything, except pick up trucks.

Complaining about a broken game is a moot point, regardless of what you think or expect it's going to be the opposite. PS3 requires a broadband internet connection to remain up to date, that is fact. No game is required to utilize broadband internet connection at all, it's what the developers choose to include. Want to piss and moan to MS for not shipping a faultless OS?

Remember it's all about money, if a company sees no profit in laying down broadband infrastructure in an area is because it would cost them too much to warrant the effort. Talk to your congressman about what he is doing to help bring in the big players, else move.

PS3 is an investment and that investment requires you to spend money on other things in order to enjoy the system to it's fullest potential. You need an HD to take advantage of the High Definition visuals, but it's not required to enjoy the system. You need a home theater system to enjoy the full sound capabilities as well, but you aren't required to use one either. One thing you should have been required to have in internet access, because since your PS3 supports updates via internet, you might need to update once in a while to ensure system security(whatever that mess might mean).
Just like a PC, you will need an active internet connection to keep your PS3 up to date, why is it required to use only broadband is beyond me, but for updates they should have used dial up as well. Well if you have no internet, then you might want to try heading over to a local place like Best Buy and asking them to update your PS3 for you.

Some people might try a lawsuit, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in that thick ass book that came in the box, it gave you fair warning what you need. This is a moot point as nothing we can do will change Sony, but we can probably get something across to PD so they can take care of the non internet enable people.
 
There are terms and conditions that come with both the PS3 and all game discs that inform you updates require an internet connection. If you choose to buy them anyway it's your own decision. You wouldn't buy a plant unless you had the water to feed it, and if you did you'd buy it knowing it wasn't going to perform to it's fullest potential.

You don't need to water a PS3 to use it.

You don't need internet to play GT5. Heck. I've had my PS3 for three years and have never "needed" an update for anything.

I don't mind not having access to DLCs. But I'd be bugged if I bought a game with a serious flaw that couldn't be fixed without broadband.

I don't agree that GT5 has a serious flaw. In fact, I haven't played it. But assuming that just because a system can go online that users must go online to use it is a bit much. Not even Apple goes that far. :lol:
 
Would it be possible to cruze into a place that has free Wifi, and using a power inverter in your car and update that way? They don't offer dsl in my area
 
Back