Is Kazunori setting people up for those who dont have internet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter imaweirdo
  • 86 comments
  • 6,108 views
This is the situation I am currently in. I have a slow, limited Mobile Broadband which can't be connected to my PS3. I only have 1GB allowance each time I top-up with credit. I cannot get access to DLC and Patches. It's all I can afford at the moment since I'm currently unemployed and my phone line is in debt and I can't currently afford to pay the debt off. My PS3 and Games were given to me as gifts from my father, GT5 included. Of course, once I've got a job I will be able to easily afford to pay the phone line debts and get my broadband reconnected, but that might take a while. Why should I, as a dedicated GT fan, miss out on advertised features of the game such as mechanical damage?

Games have recently become unfinished and buggy because of this attitude of "We'll just fix it later...". It's fine if you have good internet access but many others don't and are left with the original version of the game. PD/Sony should not have advertised these features as being part of the game if they weren't included on the actual game disc. I'm still loving GT5 but it dissapoints me to know that I will be missing out on bug-fixes and features that should have been in the game to begin with until I can get broadband back.
 
You don't need to water a PS3 to use it.

You don't need internet to play GT5. Heck. I've had my PS3 for three years and have never "needed" an update for anything.

I don't mind not having access to DLCs. But I'd be bugged if I bought a game with a serious flaw that couldn't be fixed without broadband.

I don't agree that GT5 has a serious flaw. In fact, I haven't played it. But assuming that just because a system can go online that users must go online to use it is a bit much. Not even Apple goes that far. :lol:

Maybe you don't need internet to play GT5, but your PS3 needs an internet, at your home or at you friends, because it requires firmware update, especially now due to piracy. Without firmware update you could not play GT5. Imagine if your stuck with no internet and no firmware update, i don't think you could play GT5 or any other game, other then those designed to play on original firmware.
I know it sucks to be without internet access, and that some of the countries don't have it, rural ares especially, but it's just the way the world is going now.
I personally hate that games are not finished and needs to be patched, but we also need to remember that games are getting bigger and more complexed, and due to complexity more bugs will emerge, that just can't be detected. On Ps3 we are lucky cause there is only one hardware, but on PC it's impossible to test every hardware configuration, thats why they patch the games.

Yes, Apple doesn't go that far, but it goes far out that in my country I can not purchase music on iTunes, iStore, or that i can not buy stuff from Android market (not Apple's problem :-)), or that you can not pay me through paypal. But I am aware of the limitations when buying those products, and i am hoping some day i will be able to use their product to full extension.
 
Dear topic poster:

If you buy an internet connected harddisk recorder, you shouldn't complain that you can't see read teh EPG. Likewise, the PS3 is a internet connected game console.

Please don't complain if games make use of that feature.
 
If you don't have the internet then you probably don't know about the new updates. No internet, no GTplanet...
 
Would it be possible to cruze into a place that has free Wifi, and using a power inverter in your car and update that way? They don't offer dsl in my area

That probably would work, but how much can you download on free WiFi? Seriously, I don't know. Also you'd need to have a screen to control your PS3 in your car. I guess a small TV or PC monitor would work. You can get an inverter pretty cheap these days too. I guess w/ "up to" 30mbits/sec download I'll never have to deal with that.
 
By op's logic ps3 shouldn't have free online psn since some people don't have Internet.
Pd should have spent another year in delay/development so that the software is perfect.

Get realistic, no software or game will be perfect and unless a feature is specifically stated on the retail box, PD doesn't owe you ****.
 
This is exactly the problem... what defines a success in the business world is now whether you can hit that arbitrary deadline, not whether you have created a polished finished product.

The exact point I am making: success is now about how well it suits the business now, no longer the consumer. And somehow the average consumer has been brainwashed into defending that position.

Success in any business has always been whether the objectives have been met. That will vary from business to business. As nice as it is the have the ultimate finished product, sales normally define its success not the actual quality of the game. I'm sure we can name several games that were of good quality yet failed due to other reasons, a dev I used to work with went under because they delayed one of their projects due to development issues and ended up releasing after a rival game, so no one bought the game. The game itself was pretty damn good.

You do realize that pretty much every game released is tested to be functional and operational on a non HDTV right for exactly that reason right?

Yes, my point was pointing to the resources needed to develop on the variety of resolutions.


Sure, and every person likes a different car... but a car that says "AC" but has no AC is not complete no matter who it is they are selling it to now is it? Having a diverse consumer base does not excuse incomplete product.

You're right, it doesn't, but people are expecting more and more for less and less, I remember Nintendo games costing upwards of £50. Games are so much more technical than they used to be. When all the expectations are going up, it's hardly surprising mistakes are made.

You are right, it does not allow devs to be lax, but the problem is the goal is no longer a qulaity product for the consumer... as you say it's no the deadline for the business.

Once again, the consumer interest comes in behind the business interest... and yet this situation is defended by so many consumers...

As said before, the success of the business is its sales figures not the quality of the product. Though the two often go hand in hand, it isn't always the case.

Or the other way to view it is that it allows for businesses to rationlize unrealistic deadlines for projects since they always have the excuse "we'll fix it with a patch". Let me ask you, honestly, how many games can you list that really released something valuable and positive via a patch (not talking DLC, just put it out there) vs how many that have patches to fix things that really should have been caught in testing?

I can think of BFBC2 and TF2 of the top of my head. You go ahead.

GT5P is another.

Again, this is the exact argument that was put forth when internet based patching (and especially day 1 patching) first came around, it was flawed then and it is now.

I don't think it is. Internet based patching is an aid to both the developer and the consumer, the developer can use it to not only iron out bugs but improve various other elements. The consumer gets a better product, people seem to have this notion that pre-patching era the games were bug free, they weren't. It's here to stay and it's for the better.
 
I'm seeing the mechanical damage patch but its only available to those who have internet connection to download it. Is Kaz on the path of setting up those people without internet to download the features that should have been in the final development? He did say more things coming our way.

If you have no internet... How did you manage to post here? I'm very confused...
 
I'm seeing the mechanical damage patch but its only available to those who have internet connection to download it. Is Kaz on the path of setting up those people without internet to download the features that should have been in the final development? He did say more things coming our way.

Yes, maybe not intentionally.
 
Maybe you don't need internet to play GT5, but your PS3 needs an internet, at your home or at you friends, because it requires firmware update, especially now due to piracy. Without firmware update you could not play GT5. Imagine if your stuck with no internet and no firmware update, i don't think you could play GT5 or any other game, other then those designed to play on original firmware.
You can download firmware updates to a USB drive. You can't do the same for game updates.
 
Success in any business has always been whether the objectives have been met. That will vary from business to business. As nice as it is the have the ultimate finished product, sales normally define its success not the actual quality of the game. I'm sure we can name several games that were of good quality yet failed due to other reasons, a dev I used to work with went under because they delayed one of their projects due to development issues and ended up releasing after a rival game, so no one bought the game. The game itself was pretty damn good.

It's not that I don't see the plite of business and the difficulties they face, but I do not believe in giving up the value to the consumer in order to ensure the value to the business.

Is it really better to say "it's ok for businesses to cut corners on the products they sell you so they can stay in business" than it is to say "businesses need ensure that I get a good product for my money and if they can't do the job right in the time alotted, I am sorry but it's not the consumers fault"?

It seems everything is setup so the poor business doesn't have to risk any of the downsides of failure now... it used to be "if a business can't perform it doesn't deserve to succeed" and not it seems more like "the consumer should be ready to eat it and bail out a businesses if it can't perform so it won't go under".

I really dispise the spinelessness of the average consumer today...

You're right, it doesn't, but people are expecting more and more for less and less, I remember Nintendo games costing upwards of £50. Games are so much more technical than they used to be. When all the expectations are going up, it's hardly surprising mistakes are made.

No, people are expecting the same: What is promised.

Companies are advertising more and delivering less. Then they are trying to change the process of selling products to give the consumer less.

There is an important difference.

And yes I know games cost more now to produce than they used to... but the market is also much bigger. You can't just say games cost more to develop so we are lucky to get them for only $50... you have to remember one game can now be expected to sell to many millions of customers generating much more profit than 10 or 20 years ago. So while production cost may be higher, so are potential profits. There is no argument that the price should go up to balance this somehow.

As said before, the success of the business is its sales figures not the quality of the product. Though the two often go hand in hand, it isn't always the case.

And as I said before, I despise the fact the consumer has now taken the success of the business as priority over the proper treatment of the consumer.

GT5P is another.

I'll give you that.

I don't think it is. Internet based patching is an aid to both the developer and the consumer, the developer can use it to not only iron out bugs but improve various other elements. The consumer gets a better product, people seem to have this notion that pre-patching era the games were bug free, they weren't. It's here to stay and it's for the better.

Patching ALLOWS a developer to give the consumer more, but it also allows the developer to be lazier and cut corners and not be heald as accountable. Here it is important to look at what DOES happen and not just what could happen.

The statement "the consumer gets a better product" is far from a truth. It's a possibility, and does happen sometimes, but again, the reality of the sitauation is far more that testing times seem shorter and bugs seem more common with the expectation that they can be fixed later so aren't as big a deal. Of course when later comes around, whether they get fixed is up to how much the company wants to spend on the problem.

I am not saying that pre patching, games were bug free, but I am saying that pre patching devs were heald to a higher standard because they had only one chance to get it right, so product testing and QA were much more thorough. Now they expect a second chance to make a first impression, which often results in not as much effort in the first chance.

Maybe you don't need internet to play GT5, but your PS3 needs an internet, at your home or at you friends, because it requires firmware update, especially now due to piracy. Without firmware update you could not play GT5. Imagine if your stuck with no internet and no firmware update, i don't think you could play GT5 or any other game, other then those designed to play on original firmware.

You do realize that every game that requires a certain level firmware contains said firmware on the disc right? I actually took my GT5 to a buddieds house and played it on his PS3 that was not on the internet. The firmware actually updated FASTER than if we had had to download it from the internet becaues it was already there on the disc.

Your PS3 absolutely does NOT require internet. The system is self sufficient to operate on it's own without internet connectivity.

Your argument is totally wrong.

Look back a few posts, it's been covered many times. A mod even stepped in and explained in detail how you can post on a forum but not have the internet required for updates to PS3 games.
 
Maybe you don't need internet to play GT5, but your PS3 needs an internet, at your home or at you friends, because it requires firmware update, especially now due to piracy. Without firmware update you could not play GT5. Imagine if your stuck with no internet and no firmware update, i don't think you could play GT5 or any other game, other then those designed to play on original firmware.
I know it sucks to be without internet access, and that some of the countries don't have it, rural ares especially, but it's just the way the world is going now.
I personally hate that games are not finished and needs to be patched, but we also need to remember that games are getting bigger and more complexed, and due to complexity more bugs will emerge, that just can't be detected. On Ps3 we are lucky cause there is only one hardware, but on PC it's impossible to test every hardware configuration, thats why they patch the games.

Yes, Apple doesn't go that far, but it goes far out that in my country I can not purchase music on iTunes, iStore, or that i can not buy stuff from Android market (not Apple's problem :-)), or that you can not pay me through paypal. But I am aware of the limitations when buying those products, and i am hoping some day i will be able to use their product to full extension.

Actually internet is NOT required. All games which require a newer FW do have these on the disc. It's just mandatory that you update the FW to play a particular game, but I think you're confusing something here.
 
I even don't know anyone who doesn't have broadband internet, let alone not having an internet connection...
 
I even don't know anyone who doesn't have broadband internet, let alone not having an internet connection...

I don't know anyone who speaks Swahili. Thus if the only people something negatively affects are those who speek Swahili, it doesn't matter, they don't exist.
 
I don't know anyone who speaks Swahili. Thus if the only people something negatively affects are those who speek Swahili, it doesn't matter, they don't exist.

i think you didn't understand what I meant. I live in a country that I even cannot think how bad it would be not to have an internet connection since it's virtually everywhere. If my own connection wouldn't work, I just search for wifi and I'll find something. If that wouldn't be available, I'd just connect my phone to the pc for HDSPA-connection via the phone.. It's just so simple here it's hard to understand it's not possible in other countries..



Even tho it's bad for some people I think it's good Sony and others don't hold back new technology. In most countries the power is at the people. So if a government deceides not to invest in for example internet and it shows that country is falling behind, the voters can choose other people to lead the country. Governments should make it possible to place new lines, but they should also make it possible to have different ISP's on the same lines for competition. That's also a reason why internet is cheap here in the Netherlands. I absolutely believe it's good that companies force countries to invest in their infrastructure.
I think broadband is available here to almost anyone since 2006. Also other European countries like Portugal, Germany, the Nordic countries have a good high speed network. Belgium is the country that's falling behind, especially for Western Europe. And that's mostly because their government fails to stop the duopoly that's happening there. A 'western' government with a good view on technology had invested in it a couple of years ago. The '2nd world' countries should start with it now. And the USA.. Well even though the distances are huge, the people should be able to change something, even in the mountains. At least DSL via the existing phone line shouldn't be a problem.
 
Last edited:
I hope that PD eventually releases hard copies of the game with all the updates included.

Which reminds me, didn't T10 recently release a version of Forza 3 with all the DLC included?

That seems to be the only solution for those who don't have online capabilities.

I even don't know anyone who doesn't have broadband internet, let alone not having an internet connection...

I've spent some time in Alaska & I tell you, there are some parts where I'd consider having a decent internet connection is a luxury.

I'm pretty sure Juneau is the only city where you can get 3G speeds.
 
You can download firmware updates to a USB drive. You can't do the same for game updates.
Plus games that need an updated firmware to run have the latest version included on the disc, so it's impossible to have a game that won't run at all without downloading an update first.
 
I do not have internet hooked up to my PS3.
I am playing the game just fine thanks.
Since the patches have been for online play, and I'm not playing online, it's not really an issue now is it?
If new cars/tracks/transmission glitch is offered as downloadable, then I will go to a friends house, download. I will do this because it is a bonus to a game that already plays rather well... not because it is essential to making the game operate.
 
I hope that PD eventually releases hard copies of the game with all the updates included.

Which reminds me, didn't T10 recently release a version of Forza 3 with all the DLC included?

That seems to be the only solution for those who don't have online capabilities.



I've spent some time in Alaska & I tell you, there are some parts where I'd consider having a decent internet connection is a luxury.

I'm pretty sure Juneau is the only city where you can get 3G speeds.

Bad thing about that is consumers having to purchase the same game a second time. But there are ways to get connected online. Bottom line is no one is cleared in either end. As someone going to spend his money on said product you should always do your homework, once you spend that money and problems arise you are less likely to get any legal precedence. On the back of GT5 is lists pretty much everything that requires the use of internet, custom soundtrack is the only thing that isn't internet required.

You complain that the game is unfinished or flawed, but many games are shipped with flaws and years ago, you had no choice but to deal with it. Now because of internet we can get fixes for many things, without it you are simply relegated to what you always had. GT5 didn't ship with missing offline features, since that is what most of the complaints are about. Others are saying ridiculous things like "developers are lazy and shipping half done games", while there is a notion that might be happening, I dare you to play GT5 and say that the offline game is half done. Only someone who has online can say that it's unfinished, because online is practically the largest part of GT5 and it's the part that is currently evolving. So offline people you are pretty much complaining about your dissatisfaction with the offline only part of GT5, the offline only part of GT5 is pretty much the same as all the previous GT games, minus a few things that made it easier to grind. But it's the same game, just prettier...and a lot of offline players are happy with that.

Threads like this are probably the reasons why PD will never change the offline modes with updates, I know if I was a developer and read message boards I wouldn't change a thing to offline. That would set a precedence that need not be set, which is why I believe that the offline mode will remain the same. PD will only fix the online and continue to evolve it. Offline is pretty much what it is right now, if you can't stomach that, you can always appeal to PD or return your game for something that you will enjoy. As it stands more and more people will get internet and play online rather than offline. Thank the casual market who rarely have time to sit through single player games anymore, everyone pisses and moans about length of games single player, but yet spend countless hours playing multiplayer online. Progress moves forward and many people have no real choice in the matter, but progress waits for no man and it cares not if you are ready or can afford, such is life. While I sympathize with many who cannot get internet and cannot get to enjoy the new and evolving online world of GT, I'm fortunate that I live where I can get online and by no means rubbing it in anyone's face. But it's down to your region and how it is run by the local government.
 
Even tho it's bad for some people I think it's good Sony and others don't hold back new technology.
No one is suggesting that. It would just be nice if there was some way to get game updates without having to connect your PS3 to the internet.
 
what other game sends out updates by any means other than the internet?
 
Plus games that need an updated firmware to run have the latest version included on the disc, so it's impossible to have a game that won't run at all without downloading an update first.

Just wait until they start requiring online activation like PC games.
 
There are still lots of people that can't physically get high speed, myself included. And the ignorant jacka$$es that say, " dur your posting here aren't you??" there are other ways you can view the web than with high speed Internet. Phones, mobile netbooks, dial up, Internet cafes. I'm using a phone. Not everybody lives in a neighborhood where we can pickup a neighbors wifi. Not everyone lives in a city, not everyone lives where broadband has been available since 1934. So to assume that if someone doesn't have broadband that they are cheap or poor or dumb because they can't use what helps make the ps3 great just proves how ignorant and narrow-minded you are. There are extenuating circumstances for a lot of people regarding high speed Internet, so you should think before you type that not everyone is as priveleged as you are.
 
Honestly this can be said about all new games this is the era we are in now. It sucks for the people who have terrible internet, but thats life. I would take my PS3 where I can get some Internet and get the patched etc from there. :lol:
 
Me along with a lot of people i know have internet on are computer but not on our Ps3.
 
Back