Is PCARS as Good as GT6?

• Thread starter TT92
  • 453 comments
iRacing is a long term investment, Assetto Corsa is the best package overal (physics, graphics, FFB), rFactor2 have the best physics, best tire model, best AIs, best "road simulation" (the way grip is changing depending of the temperature and tire gum depot) and best FFB but the graphics :S.
Gt6 is the most addictive sim/game because of the variety, decent FFB with latest patches.
FM3 and FM4 are not bad at all but I miss a little bit the gamer challenge that GT provides, I admit that forza textures are better than gt ones and inboard camera is more likely to be 60 fps while in GT you can not reach 60fps within cars.

PCars get... Ahem on PS4 : crashes, bugs, sometimes you have the engine sound that works, right, completely bugged FFB, stupid AIs that force you to restart your race twenty times. Very sad of this by the way, I was expecting a lot about this but right now all I do is waiting for a patch that will make this game working.

Edit : I still don't understand how people are able to play. A friend of mine almost broke his T500rs that was losing calibration all the time, turn violently in menus. My CSW V2 is impossible to turn when stopped, and as soon as the car is 10km/h, the FFB is fading so I can not feel anything. Tried a lot of settings, reading excell pages, tune all cars, impossible to get something close from something that feels realistic. And I don't speak about losing engine sound 2/3 races, crashing etc... How can people compare GT with pCars, it is a mystery.

Simply put because some people aren't getting the bugs you mention all the time. I've had some of those things happen here and there but most races I've had have been online with and without AI. WMD members told us there would be some bugs on release despite what some like to believe. There is nothing that has caused me issues to make the game unplayable.

I went back to do the latest round of GT Academy the other day and was reminded that it's not just the crappy ai that I'm fed up with in GT6. The driving physics particularly around grip levels was way off. It wasn't a pleasurable experience at all. A couple of laps got me a free car and I went back to the sheer joy of driving in Project Cars. Every car I've driven has put a smile on my face whether I'm driving it well or badly. It just feels like driving a real car. For me, more so than most PC driving sims (not quite all).

I haven't driven many road cars, but so far they've all driven the way I expected. Which ones are the worst?
Focus and Megane are disastrous, I used to own the older shape ST and if it drove the way it does in PCars i'd of traded it in after 5 mins of owning it :D The way the Megane handles is just so bloody strange and with the amazing reviews that car gets im sure SMS have got the physics far wrong.

Focus and Megane are disastrous, I used to own the older shape ST and if it drove the way it does in PCars i'd of traded it in after 5 mins of owning it :D The way the Megane handles is just so bloody strange and with the amazing reviews that car gets im sure SMS have got the physics far wrong.
Haven't tried either one yet, only FF I drove was the Clio and only a couple of laps. Have to check it out. 👍

Then again, one of the WMD members owns a Megane RS and a friend of mine who is also at WMD test drove one for a day and they both said its almost spot on. After getting used to it a bit, I found it quite enjoyable too (except for the generic sound).

Be aware that there is a possible bug that makes the handling of some cars different during career, the Focus in the invitational race being one of those mentioned as being far worse than in quick race.

Then again, one of the WMD members owns a Megane RS and a friend of mine who is also at WMD test drove one for a day and they both said its almost spot on. After getting used to it a bit, I found it quite enjoyable too (except for the generic sound).

Be aware that there is a possible bug that makes the handling of some cars different during career, the Focus in the invitational race being one of those mentioned as being far worse than in quick race.
Thats interesting as that is were i tried the Focus. Im sure the Megane was an invitational race as well.
Haven't tried either one yet, only FF I drove was the Clio and only a couple of laps. Have to check it out. 👍

The Clio is great fun but it is a race car rather than road. Seems it's a bug thats caused my dodgy handling :)

Last edited:
I've driven the Focus on a few tracks in TT mode and it drove about like I would have expected it to.
I entered that one invitational event at Sonoma with it and it seemed horrible. I went right off in several places. Don't know what tires were on it and seems like it might have been raining at the time but the under steer was extreme and I ended up exiting before I completed the first lap.

I've driven the Focus on a few tracks in TT mode and it drove about like I would have expected it to.
I entered that one invitational event at Sonoma with it and it seemed horrible. I went right off in several places. Don't know what tires were on it and seems like it might have been raining at the time but the under steer was extreme and I ended up exiting before I completed the first lap.
Ive noticed this alot.. unplug my wheel (t500) and plug it back in and all fine again. Hope the ffb issues are the first to be sorted out. And quickly.

Simply put because some people aren't getting the bugs you mention all the time. I've had some of those things happen here and there but most races I've had have been online with and without AI. WMD members told us there would be some bugs on release despite what some like to believe. There is nothing that has caused me issues to make the game unplayable.

I went back to do the latest round of GT Academy the other day and was reminded that it's not just the crappy ai that I'm fed up with in GT6. The driving physics particularly around grip levels was way off. It wasn't a pleasurable experience at all. A couple of laps got me a free car and I went back to the sheer joy of driving in Project Cars. Every car I've driven has put a smile on my face whether I'm driving it well or badly. It just feels like driving a real car. For me, more so than most PC driving sims (not quite all).

Yes there are some bugs but a wheel that feels like it is not powered is not what I call "real life driving". Any vehicle have a resistance due to the way rubber react in contact with asphalt.

Maybe the FFB will be fixed but right now there is no FFB for me. Sometime the wheel feels really slightly heavier but like driving on ice.

And being able to drive flat out doing -120 degrees / 120 degres violent wheel input without any impact on the vehicle stability feels very strange to me. In real life a car will do some roll barrell...

Yes there are some bugs but a wheel that feels like it is not powered is not what I call "real life driving". Any vehicle have a resistance due to the way rubber react in contact with asphalt.

Maybe the FFB will be fixed but right now there is no FFB for me. Sometime the wheel feels really slightly heavier but like driving on ice.

And being able to drive flat out doing -120 degrees / 120 degres violent wheel input without any impact on the vehicle stability feels very strange to me. In real life a car will do some roll barrell...

My wheel kinda felt like this at first but after some tweaking of the settings now it feels nice and heavy where it should and gives lots of feedback.

I have tried these settings, the wheel then feels weaker than before while I expect to increase the FFB.

That does sound difficult. I hope your issues are sorted soon. Unplugging the wheel and reconnecting have fixed things for me on the odd ocassion I've had that issue.

Compared to GT6 I think Project Cars has better sounds, graphics and gameplay (physics).. But I think GT6 has a better and more accurate track list, is much more of an in depth game. Career mode in GT6 is way too 1999 for me but the PC career is too shallow and unfinished feeling, it feels like it's a bit of a tack on.. Problem with GT6 career is that it's just a selection of poorly balanced bland races to tick off the list.

GT7 really needs to step up the game now though, Project Cars in areas where it matters makes GT6 feel like a relic.. Time to ditch all the ****** standard model cars, stick with the premiums, improve the sounds and revamp the career without losing all of the depth to the rest of the game and GT7 will be incredible.

I don't know about the Focus but... the Megane is just... just... i don't know, the car sucks so much in the game that i don't have a word to describe it. It looks to be a problem with the front wheel drive cars... The Lancer is amazing to drive, the turbo feels great and the handling is good too.

I think that PCars is better than GT6, and it's hard to me to say!! I've always been a fan of GT series, and when GT7 comes out i'll buy but... the phycis on Pcars are so much better than any GT game. Drive the Mitsubishi Lancer on PCars and compare to the GT version, the Pcars version is so much more alive and fun to drive. And the turbo "effect" is so much more remarkable than the GT one.
The Lotus 78 is just the same... on PCars, when the turbo comes on the Lotus is just a blast that sometimes i think that my head goes a little bit behind with the effect on the game.

But let's see, hope there is some info of GT7 on this years E3.

I used to own an ST too, it wasn't a floaty marshmallow in real life.. The PCARS RS drives like a boat, very unintuitive where as an actual RS is just a more awesome version of my ST, and the ST was not unintuitive or boat like.

But really, not expecting everything in the game to be perfect, especially when sat on my ass on a computer chair infront of a 24inch monitor with a USB toy wheel.. As a whole it's a really enjoyable and great driving game.

The sound of the Megane is a bit meh indeed. I used to own a Megane RS Cup (the 250HP version, not the 265HP version, but apart from that and looks they are identical, e.g. suspension is 100% identical) and I think the game captures the essence of the car quite nicely. Mostly point-and-go and you can get on the throttle on corner exit very quickly and bluntly, just like in real life.

So I don't feel the Focus and the Megane handle like boats or iffy at all. Very enjoyable to drive. But yes, they're not as tight as the race cars, but they aren't in real life either.

I don't know about the Focus but... the Megane is just... just... i don't know, the car sucks so much in the game that i don't have a word to describe it. It looks to be a problem with the front wheel drive cars... The Lancer is amazing to drive, the turbo feels great and the handling is good too.

I think that PCars is better than GT6, and it's hard to me to say!! I've always been a fan of GT series, and when GT7 comes out i'll buy but... the phycis on Pcars are so much better than any GT game. Drive the Mitsubishi Lancer on PCars and compare to the GT version, the Pcars version is so much more alive and fun to drive. And the turbo "effect" is so much more remarkable than the GT one.
The Lotus 78 is just the same... on PCars, when the turbo comes on the Lotus is just a blast that sometimes i think that my head goes a little bit behind with the effect on the game.

But let's see, hope there is some info of GT7 on this years E3.

I own 2 Ford Focus cars A 2litre estate ghia 2005 mainly used as fishing wagon and for towing caravan, The second is 2009 focus ST and I can assure every one here the ingame focus is terrible and does not represent its real counterpart Neither of mine suffer the terrible understeer that the game does. And yes I have taken the ST to a track day.

Any way comparing Pcars to GT6 eeerrrrrm well If Pcars is a true sim then GT6 is surprisingly good for a non sim game I feel that both games are let down at launch GT6 we expected this but Pcars promised (after all the postponed releases) that it would be bug free and a very polished game.

Both had series issues at launch and we should all remember if your going to compare the 2 you must count GT6 at release not as it is now.

Im sure Pcars 18 months down the road will be the best console racing game out there. But till Pcars career issues are solved I'm sticking with GT5 purely because I really like long endurance racing and that's the only game that provides what I want.

Im sure Pcars 18 months down the road will be the best console racing game out there. But till Pcars career issues are solved I'm sticking with GT5 purely because I really like long endurance racing and that's the only game that provides what I want.
Really? Endurance racing in GT is such a drag. There really is no challenge to them at all. No breakdowns, no damage, no possibly of blowing a tire or an engine even if you run out of gas you can keep going till you get to the pits.

I haven't ran the Endurance races in PCars yet but I am sure they will be a whole lot more interesting given that you do have damage and failures, you can blow an engine and you can not drive around the track with no fuel.

I remember running the 4hr endurance race in GT5 on the ring. About 1.5 hours in I pulled over and parked, had a cup of coffee and a smoke while waiting for the AI to catch up then I drove another 1.5 hours or so and pulled over again for another smoke while waiting for the AI to actually catch me and take the lead then I pulled out with 1 lap to go behind by 30 seconds and still won the race by a large margin.

The only real challenge there was could I drive that long and fight off the boredom. The Tsukuba race was the worst, even the 4 hour version was hard to stay awake for and I would not even bother with the longer one just insanely boring and no challenge at all. In the 4hour race I used the weakest car I could find with no upgrades and inferior tires and still won by lots of laps

I haven't ran the Endurance races in PCars yet but I am sure they will be a whole lot more interesting given that you do have damage and failures, you can blow an engine and you can not drive around the track with no fuel.
You even have game failures, so yeah it's a lot more challenging. :D

True if you are not on the PC anyway.

No failures here ;)
How do you know, you didn't attempt long races yet ? :P
I did several, from 2h up to 7h+ (had to retire :grumpy:). By "game failure" I don't mean game freeze or so only ! There are plenty of minor bugs to chose from and if you still manage to carry on with these, the suicidal AI will probably ruin it at some point, obviously the longer the race, the higher the risk. To the point that I currently stopped my career mode in endurance waiting for a patch now.
I'm a bit exaggerating though, it's very random, it was just a banter basically. :D

Is the PC version really bug-free ? I hardly believe it.

How do you know, you didn't attempt long races yet ? :P
I did several, from 2h up to 7h+ (had to retire :grumpy:). By "game failure" I don't mean game freeze or so only ! There are plenty of minor bugs to chose from and if you still manage to carry on with these, the suicidal AI will probably ruin it at some point, obviously the longer the race, the higher the risk. To the point that I currently stopped my career mode in endurance waiting for a patch now.
I'm a bit exaggerating though, it's very random, it was just a banter basically. :D

Is the PC version really bug-free ? I hardly believe it.
I don't know about completely bug free but it stands to reason that the PC version which has been tested by hundreds of WMD members will launch with far less issues than the console versions which have only been available to a few internal testers prior to release.

I don't know about completely bug free but it stands to reason that the PC version which has been tested by hundreds of WMD members will launch with far less issues than the console versions which have only been available to a few internal testers prior to release.
Right I forgot about that.

But I'm not sure the current AI was considered as a bug prior to launch. :D
You have to be so careful, it's almost like racing in a public lobby sometimes (I said sometimes) except they never receive penalties. :banghead:

Back