Is PCARS as Good as GT6?

• Thread starter TT92
  • 453 comments
iRacing is a long term investment, Assetto Corsa is the best package overal (physics, graphics, FFB), rFactor2 have the best physics, best tire model, best AIs, best "road simulation" (the way grip is changing depending of the temperature and tire gum depot) and best FFB but the graphics :S.
Gt6 is the most addictive sim/game because of the variety, decent FFB with latest patches.
FM3 and FM4 are not bad at all but I miss a little bit the gamer challenge that GT provides, I admit that forza textures are better than gt ones and inboard camera is more likely to be 60 fps while in GT you can not reach 60fps within cars.

PCars get... Ahem on PS4 : crashes, bugs, sometimes you have the engine sound that works, right, completely bugged FFB, stupid AIs that force you to restart your race twenty times. Very sad of this by the way, I was expecting a lot about this but right now all I do is waiting for a patch that will make this game working.

Edit : I still don't understand how people are able to play. A friend of mine almost broke his T500rs that was losing calibration all the time, turn violently in menus. My CSW V2 is impossible to turn when stopped, and as soon as the car is 10km/h, the FFB is fading so I can not feel anything. Tried a lot of settings, reading excell pages, tune all cars, impossible to get something close from something that feels realistic. And I don't speak about losing engine sound 2/3 races, crashing etc... How can people compare GT with pCars, it is a mystery.

Last edited:
Why is it that when people claim one game is more realistic than another they never explain WHAT is more realistic? Every racing sim has power oversteer, lift off oversteer, understeer, weight transfers, tire pressure adjustments, etc.

Good point. iSI did post some comparisons of real racing car telemetry (suspension moves, rpm, etc) and of their rFactor2 simulation : it was very very similar. I think then you can speak about good simulation : the simulation model almost matches what can be measured in real world.

Edit : this link show how a simulation can be considered as a damn good one :)
https://drracing.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/how-close-is-close-enough/

Last edited:
I don't think so, or if there actually is, it is ridiculously weak and negligible on powerful turbos. When you put a small or large turbo, it is exactly the same except you have 150 more bhp.
On Project CARS you can actually put your foot down just before the apex in order to have full power at the corner exit.
Another thing PCars seems to do well along those lines is that the throttle isn't an on/off switch. Throttle response is more like in a real car where power builds, quickly mind you, but not instantaneously like in some other games. Timing the throttle becomes much more important in that case.

Another thing PCars seems to do well along those lines is that the throttle isn't an on/off switch. Throttle response is more like in a real car where power builds, quickly mind you, but not instantaneously like in some other games. Timing the throttle becomes much more important in that case.

Yes I have read things about "volumetric throttle" which seems to be a more realistic throttle/engine model.

Actually Project Cars pushed very far their tire model and everything related to physics (just not sure about the choice of PhysX for CCD (continuous collision detection), but it is maybe I hate this physics engine because I have spent months trying to program a decent car model with it).

I sure we soon will have a more stable and robust console simulation. I want to believe.

Edit : https://mobile.twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/550992837572321280

Last edited:
You could weight different collisions. 3 points for rear contact, 2 for side, 1 for solo etc. but again, I don't think it matters. If the system was sophisticated enough, it could judge incidental contact as null and void. If contact becomes punishment, people will drive differently. They will leave more room, they will divebomb less, they'll drive more like real cars. Those that don't, you won't be racing with again. I had 17 incidents in my first race in iRacing because I didn't realize that even going off track was counting against me. Once I realized what was going on, I drove differently. A system that allows a little contact but punishes the worst offenders can work, it's worth a try at least.

The problem with it is, and this is true of any game expected to sell in large numbers, is it will discourage sales. Less people will buy the game if they can't crash and bash online. This type of system really only serves the hardcore racers and we're obviously in the minority or there would be much more clean driving online. If word gets out that you can't get into lobbies online if you crash a lot, some people won't buy the game and I think that's what discourages this type of system outside of iRacing.

Yes I do see what you are getting at here. To solve the problems of adverse sales it would be easy to include a "Professional" or "Arcade" option that you want to drive or compete in. The crash and burns would obviously be at home in arcade ;-)

I just home someone from SMS will pick up on this.

Yes I do see what you are getting at here. To solve the problems of adverse sales it would be easy to include a "Professional" or "Arcade" option that you want to drive or compete in. The crash and burns would obviously be at home in arcade ;-)

I just home someone from SMS will pick up on this.
Actually there's the PRO, AMATEUR,etc system online too, but either everyone thinks they are pro or the filtering system is broken for now. :D

You are right, I am often unlucky with software. Or expecting too much. But this thread makes me want to try it again :)
Sorry for OT, but when is the Division coming and will it have less bugs than WatchDogs?? Talk about bugs in a game after multiple delays... :)

OK so instead of posting stuff about those games on a PCars forum go play the damn things. IMO.

Lol

I still don't understand what he / she dislikes about PC. Yes we have the right to dislike. But at least provide sound explanations for your thoughts. Not doing just makes you look like a hater lol

Actually there's the PRO, AMATEUR,etc system online too, but either everyone thinks they are pro or the filtering system is broken for now. :D

To expand on what I said, the Arcade would not have the strict penalties and rankings where as the Professional would.

Johnnypenso was concerned the penalty system would affect sales so I suggested the above different game modes.

I think this is a fair review of Pcars:

If they do not support the game and fix the issues on console. I can see this game dying quickly. GT6 even now I play it and started playing it more for past week. Over 200+hrs. I play offline only. Was driving RBR Junior car, AI is fast in RBR challenge and although the car is super responsive but my braking points are not good. May be I am just bad. Also played with 300SL, Mercedes vision GT, Toyota 7 race car to name a few. Nascar car in GT cup, career mode at Willow springs today was so much fun. I just can't drive without traction. Having lot of tcs or max traction at 10 makes you really slow and acceleration out of the corner is really bad. On the flip side turning it off lowering it to 2 or 3 is a handful for me on on nice corners at Willow springs. Had to try SRF and see if I can control the car. There is so much to do in GT6 :)

GT5 is the better game for me, I like long endurance racing GT5 has bucket loads, GT6 has 30 mins max Pcars has loads but its totally un raceable at the moment with all the bugs in career mode and the failure of FFB if you need to use the sleep mode on the PS4.

Now I don't know whether its Pcars issue or PS4 issue but if you pause game and set PS4 into sleep then come back to race I lose complete FFB which makes the game unplayable especially in the 4hr,6hr and 12hr races.

So my vote goes to GT5 and that is exactly what i'm playing

If they do not support the game and fix the issues on console. I can see this game dying quickly. GT6 even now I play it and started playing it more for past week. Over 200+hrs. I play offline only. Was driving RBR Junior car, AI is fast in RBR challenge and although the car is super responsive but my braking points are not good. May be I am just bad. Also played with 300SL, Mercedes vision GT, Toyota 7 race car to name a few. Nascar car in GT cup, career mode at Willow springs today was so much fun. I just can't drive without traction. Having lot of tcs or max traction at 10 makes you really slow and acceleration out of the corner is really bad. On the flip side turning it off lowering it to 2 or 3 is a handful for me on on nice corners at Willow springs. Had to try SRF and see if I can control the car. There is so much to do in GT6 :)

Unlucky he picked the XONE version possibly the worst you could get right now bug-wise :lol:
He makes some points but judging by how he drives and what he says, he is clearly not in the aimed core public of the game IMO.

I think it misses the point of the title almost completely.

Open access to everything and the progress being whatever you want to make of it (and thus avoiding the grind) is a key part of the appeal to me (and I suspect others), that you have no upgrades is not a surprise either, but the one bit that got me was the comment that the tuning is weak?

Sorry in comparisons to what on console (which appears to be the perspective he is talking about) is the tuning weak?

Quite frankly the review strike me as someone who wanted another GT/Forza and considers the 'ugly' part to be because its not another clone of a format I've personally got very tired of.

Last edited:
If GT want's to trade on its looks and car count then on those two bases its still top of the pile.

However if its physics, feel, AI, single player experience, replicating how race events actually work and range of options then PC walks all over GT.

My first season in the Clio Cup championship on P Cars, with FWD physics that actually replicate how FWD cars behave (GT has never managed this), practice sessions, qualifying, tyres that actually behave like tyres and react to temperature and weather conditions as tyres should, a sprit race and a main race with mandatory pit stops, throw in AI that can both be scaled and doesn't just follow the line. Oh and you actually have to manage the start yourself (not just rolling starts to mask screwed up low speed physics), which while a small change is a brilliant one.

All of that provided more enjoyment and better physics that I found in my entire time with GT5 and GT6.

Winner! I was doing the Clio Cup last night and one of my pit crew dropped a wheel nut and lost me a few positions, and while it sucked for my championship position I couldn't help but think "How friggin' cool is that?!?". I also got a blue flag once, and my spotter talks to me to tell me important stuff during the race. Way beyond anything that GT has ever offered in sense of realism and immersion.

my spotter talks to me to tell me important stuff during the race.
Like "Pass this guy in the corners or in the slipstream" ? :lol:
No, just kidding, I like it too but sometime he really say incredibly common things.

BTW do your mechanics often loose several wheel nuts on pit stops ? I don't know if it's a bug but when they do they often loose 3 nuts out of the 4 wheels. :nervous:

Last edited:
I think it misses the point of the title almost completely.

Open access to everything and the progress being whatever you want to make of it (and thus avoiding the grind) is a key part of the appeal to me (and I suspect others), that you have no upgrades is not a surprise either, but the one bit that got me was the comment that the tuning is weak?

Sorry in comparisons to what on console (which appears to be the perspective he is talking about) is the tuning weak?

Quite frankly the review strike me as someone who wanted another GT/Forza and considers the 'ugly' part to be because its not another clone of a format I've personally got very tired of.

He probably failed to find the pages beyond tyre pressures in the set up menu :lol:

Like "Pass this guy in the corners or in the slipstream" ? :lol:
No, just kidding, I like it too but sometime he really say incredibly common things.

BTW do your mechanics often loose several wheel nuts on pit stops ? I don't know if it's a bug but when they do they often loose 3 nuts out of the 4 wheels. :nervous:

He's said some other things too, like "brake early in the last corner to slow him up", or "pit this lap". Nothing ground-breaking, but I still find it cool.

I don't know how many wheel nuts they lost, he just said the crew guy lost a nut. I did lose 5 or 6 positions. I've only had it happen the one time, but if it becomes a regular thing I may have to sack that crew member. :irked:

I don't know how many wheel nuts they lost, he just said the crew guy lost a nut. I did lose 5 or 6 positions. I've only had it happen the one time, but if it becomes a regular thing I may have to sack that crew member
Yes, what I mean is he tells me 3 times for 3 different wheels on the same stop that the mechanics are having issues with the nuts. Must be a bug or real bad luck because it happened quite often.

My personal opinion of title is that it should be: Is Project Cars as bad as GT6.

Anyway to answer the question somewhat properly. Project Cars (at it's current state) is as good as GT6 I would say Yes. It is as good as GT6 but that doesn't mean Pcars is good in general :P. Though Project CARS will likely improve and be better in the future.

My personal opinion of title is that it should be: Is Project Cars as bad as GT6.

Anyway to answer the question somewhat properly. Project Cars (at it's current state) is as good as GT6 I would say Yes. It is as good as GT6 but that doesn't mean Pcars is good in general :P. Though Project CARS will likely improve and be better in the future.

pCars isn't perfect (what game is?) but my recent sim career has involved GT5, GT6, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car Extreme, Raceroom Racing Experience, and Project Cars and even though it's only been out a couple weeks I've had more enjoyment from pCars than in any of the other titles. It took a minute to get the FFB sorted but once I did it feels good, the physics are good, the visuals are great, the bells and whistles are the best of the bunch, the AI is good (if a bit aggressive at times, but that's still preferable to GT's rolling chicanes) and the career mode is brilliant.

On topic, comparing GT6 and pCars is about like comparing apples to oranges. GT6 is a car collecting, hot lap simulator and pCars is a racing simulator that makes you feel like your part of a race team at a proper motorsports event. Yeah, they both involve vehicles driving around on bits of tarmac, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. pCars isn't god's gift to sim racing, but for my preferences it's the most complete sim available right now and puts the biggest smile on my face.

On topic, comparing GT6 and pCars is about like comparing apples to oranges. GT6 is a car collecting, hot lap simulator and pCars is a racing simulator that makes you feel like your part of a race team at a proper motorsports event. Yeah, they both involve vehicles driving around on bits of tarmac, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. pCars isn't god's gift to sim racing, but for my preferences it's the most complete sim available right now and puts the biggest smile on my face.
I disagree, except for the car collecting. GT6 isn't just a hot lap simulator but that's what it is only good for. Racing is still in GT but it is just soooo bad and to dependent on Online, that it is forgettable.

I disagree, except for the car collecting. GT6 isn't just a hot lap simulator but that's what it is only good for. Racing is still in GT but it is just soooo bad and to dependent on Online, that it is forgettable.

Exactly my point, it's pretty much useless for anything other than hot lapping and taking photos. And online is so unstable and has so many problems that even that isn't really a viable option (and that's the main thing that drove me away from it). The career mode is an afterthought, the AI are a joke, not to mention the lack of tire/fuel wear or damage or long races in the career. pCars makes you feel like you're on a race team at a race weekend, which is the type of thing I want from a racing simulator. It's not perfect, but for my money it's better than any of the other options and will only improve as time goes on.

Back