Is the negativity ever going to end?

• Thread starter Boxster
  • 172 comments
After getting 2,000 and 5,000 credit tickets for 8 of the last 9 days I've decided to call it quits. Locking engine swaps and exclusive parts behind a dumb rng system is even worse than the terrible payouts.
Their RNG system is the worst (changing the name to roulette ticket won't change the fact that it is a lootbox mechanic) in the two weeks I spent playing the game, not once did I get the highest reward from it, and aboout 99% of the time I get the lowest payout. It'd be less insulting if we skipped the whole shenanigans and the game just gave me the 5.000cr, without rubbing my nose into it.

For a few days now I have been reading nothing but negativity on this forum. Do you guys never get tired of being outraged?
It's not that I don't understand the disappointment, I just can't stand the constant raging. Literally thousands and thousands of posts repeating the same complaints. I get it, you are not happy. I just don't want to read the same thing repeated at nauseam.
And what is hilariously funny: everyone is complaining about the grind so much, that reading this forum is becoming a grind. Wow!

We all know now what your complaints are. Can we also post about something else?
Seriously. There are a couple in this thread who gave the best advice of all. .....use the ignore feature. Threads like this do the exact opposite of what you're trying to accomplish.

If you feel someone continues to post content you don't want to read, add them to your ignore list. They've made it easy to do on this site. Heck, it will even hide threads created by those individuals from what I've been able to tell so if you see someone in particular who you think keeps creating annoying threads, etc., add them to your list.

Its a win-win for everyone IMO. You don't have to read anymore (or as many) of those kind of posts and those you block are unaffected other than not being able to communicate with you which is likely of no consequence to them.

Try it.

I wouldn't mind campaign in a single player game that went back to its roots, instead of 7 hour tech demo that's for sure, then again paying 70$ for a full fledged game is asking too much these days, apparently

It's the way of the world now . I remember paying £30 UK for a GT game an thinking " Wow this is a lot " but I balance it up by the hours of entertainment it gives me .

I suppose I could buy a Call Of Duty game and enjoy the single player , I mean i'm sure the 3/4 hours of play time will be worth the cost .

One thing I will say . I'm still a bit ( more than a bit actually ) ticked off that there is no qualifying in GT 7 , running around chasing the rabbit feels more like a obsticle course than a race .

I do kinda wonder why the " The real drving simulator " doesnt have a proper Qualifying system , i'm sure the people who decided to not add this have never entered a proper race series themselves ............. there again......

m76
I mean lol, we paid for it, surely we'd like some actual gran turismo for our money, not a stripped down tech demo and empty promises and doubletalk.

Would it be also entitlement if I ordered a meal somewhere and only got the appetizers, but not the main course, and then complained?
Here is an example of how something about a game can perpetuate negativity.

1st person claiming that the game is 7 hours long. I'm 2 weeks in with 35 hours of play and still got a couple of missions to gold. Haven't even touched online yet, fine tuned my garage or repeated any races. So no it's not a 7 hour demo.

Then a member who has been on this site for 12 years complains about what has been the norm in GT games since the beginning. Hasn't he read anything about GT games in the past 12 years? And that it was never and will never be "the real driving simulator". It's a crazy slogan that has stuck and anyone with some experience should know that by now.

Then finally another member used the same phrase "tech demo" as from the 1st quote and uses a ridiculous analogy thinking they are backing up their opinion.

An utterly dire little set of posts of misinformation and delusion.

Seriously. There are a couple in this thread who gave the best advice of all. .....use the ignore feature. Threads like this do the exact opposite of what you're trying to accomplish.

If you feel someone continues to post content you don't want to read, add them to your ignore list. They've made it easy to do on this site. Heck, it will even hide threads created by those individuals from what I've been able to tell so if you see someone in particular who you think keeps creating annoying threads, etc., add them to your list.

Its a win-win for everyone IMO. You don't have to read anymore (or as many) of those kind of posts and those you block are unaffected other than not being able to communicate with you which is likely of no consequence to them.

Try it.
It is also how you build echo chambers that create fanboyism. Seeing someone will a total different opinion of point of a view on a subject is primordial to an healthy communication on a forum that is design to allow people to communicate. If everyone had the same point of view in life, it would be boring AF.

1st person claiming that the game is 7 hours long. I'm 2 weeks in with 35 hours of play and still got a couple of missions to gold. Haven't even touched online yet, fine tuned my garage or repeated any races. So no it's not a 7 hour demo.

Then a member who has been on this site for 12 years complains about what has been the norm in GT games since the beginning. Hasn't he read anything about GT games in the past 12 years? And that it was never and will never be "the real driving simulator". It's a crazy slogan that has stuck and anyone with some experience should know that by now.

Then finally another member used the same phrase "tech demo" as from the 1st quote and uses a ridiculous analogy thinking they are backing up their opinion.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the way you play does not inflate actual time to complete café missions and licenses, again talking about main game not every single race completed, speed run proved to be at around 3 hours, so yeah I took my time

Nope. The outrage/offended machine must be fed at all times. There are legitimate complaints to be had, of course, but so much of the discourse often goes well beyond that (and this has definitely been yet another example of that). The level of self-entitlement these days is shocking.

Personally, I am thoroughly enjoying GT7 exactly as it is. It's only a video game, after all. I've already more than gotten my moneys worth from the game, which is what I care about. I've never spent any money on micro transactions for GT games, nor will I ever. But, I couldn't care less that they exist for those that prefer to pay instead of grind. That is up to each person to determine how they value their time and money. To each their own.

The onslaught of criticism inside and outside of GTP shows that there is a very serious issue with customer satisfaction and customer retention. Like someone else said, the ball is on Polyphony's court right now on how they respond and put action in their words.

This is no longer a matter of subjectivity ("you're just having fun the wrong way") but objectivity. Polyphony is riding on the good will of the fans ("25th anniversary celebration":confused:) and made the conscious decision to charge full price for a hollow product that is giving the vibe as GT Sport in its launch state, except this time they don't have the leniency of disguising itself as a prologue game. That is strike one. The manner in which the way they handled the patch fumble was strike two. Being tone deaf in addition to the already questionable state of the ingame economy was strike three. The outrage from the fans is justified at this point, given that it never crosses the line of death threats and whatnot.

My concern is what compels a man to jump into the center of controversy to actively defend Polyphony and tell the fans "no actually, you're wrong" "well you're playing it the wrong way" or "have you achieved 100% first?", now that is beyond me. Remember when EA had to answer to investors about the flop of Battlefield 2042 and pointed fingers at Halo Infinite? Yeah, don't be like that.

Last edited:
For a few days now I have been reading nothing but negativity on this forum. Do you guys never get tired of being outraged?
It's not that I don't understand the disappointment, I just can't stand the constant raging. Literally thousands and thousands of posts repeating the same complaints. I get it, you are not happy. I just don't want to read the same thing repeated at nauseam.
And what is hilariously funny: everyone is complaining about the grind so much, that reading this forum is becoming a grind. Wow!

We all know now what your complaints are. Can we also post about something else?
thank you for saying what I've been feeling!

This day and age with so many " We want it now " entitled types , I somehow doubt it .
You do realize people actually paid anywhere from $60-100 for this product, right? When someone spends a non-insignificant amount of money on a product, and the product ends up being sub-par relative to what was paid for it, then the customer 100% has the right to levy complaints and the people who made it. The negativity being levied at PD and/or Sony is not only justified, but completely of their own creation. The fact that they decided to double down on one of the most vocally talked about concerns regarding GT7 further justifies that.

What the OP is basically asking for is an echo chamber. An echo chamber in a section of GTP that is for the most part incredibly positive to begin with. Imo the best thing about GTP, and why I keep coming to it even though I don't play Gran Turismo anywhere near as much as I used to, is that the ruleset and moderation allows for incredibly open discussion, both positive and negative, on a wide variety of topics. That thankfully includes how PD and Sony have dropped the ball, which is especially nice when you consider the close professional ties that Jordan, Famine and the site as an entity has with PD and Sony.

Last edited:
There's a worldwide pandemic. And multiple wars raging. Even though I was slightly bummed about the issues with the updates, I can still play the game and I love it. It's a beautiful game. I really think the phrase "first world problems" might be applicable here, in terms of the complaints folks have (and I say this as someone who paid the premium for the 25th Anniversary Edition).

3000 metacritic reviewers and people here on this site (probably the same 3000) are far from the vast majority of GT7 customers. For reference there was an estimated 1 million copies sold in the first 3 days. Your vast majority turns into a minority. The vast majority are enjoying the game (when it works).

You actually claim the 3000 negative reviews on Metacritic are of course the same ones who complain on this forum and actually the only 3000 people who are upset with GT7.

And then you talk about delusion and misinformation, mental.

There's a worldwide pandemic. And multiple wars raging. Even though I was slightly bummed about the issues with the updates, I can still play the game and I love it. It's a beautiful game. I really think the phrase "first world problems" might be applicable here, in terms of the complaints folks have (and I say this as someone who paid the premium for the 25th Anniversary Edition).
There’s nearly always a big tragedy going on somewhere on the planet. This fact doesn’t make shady business practices more tolerable.

Last edited:

And here we have the guy who is not arguing any points, just flat out declares everyone else stupid. Right on, man, you'll surely win over everyone with that attitude.

Yeah, I'm backing up the argument that GT7 is a tech demo at this point, or maybe we can call it an early access title, because with the restrictions and lack of content it surely isn't one thing: A fully fleshed out Gran Turismo game.

It takes two to tango. Most of these discussions/"complaints" rumble on because there is never a shortage of someone who feels they have to defend the game.

If you don't like the complaints and don't agree with them, nobody is forcing you to reply.

The amount of times people have replied to criticism with "THeY JuSt wAnT EvErYtHiNg In 2 wEeKs" is ridiculous, for instance.

BTW Why is it that some of the most vehement defenders of the game are newly registered users? You never been interested in racing games and sims before, but now suddenly you felt the need to register just to defend the honor of Yamauchi san? Seems strange.

The amount of times people have replied to criticism with "THeY JuSt wAnT EvErYtHiNg In 2 wEeKs" is ridiculous, for instance.
Not only that, but whenever the people who peddle this response are asked to provide specific examples of someone actually saying this or similar, they either deflect, and/or never address the request to begin with.

It's not just ridiculous, its incredibly dishonest and imo a bit cowardly.

The negativity will not end, only way it ends if if those who are criticising to title stop caring about the game, which is a large portion of the game's population, this will result the minority to live in their praising bubble and enjoy the game for what it is.

I hope this does not happen, as this will kill the game's population, so when people complain, they do it because they want the game to be better, so they can keep playing and enjoying it without feeling frustrated.

Last edited:
m76
I mean lol, we paid for it, surely we'd like some actual gran turismo for our money, not a stripped down tech demo and empty promises and doubletalk.

Would it be also entitlement if I ordered a meal somewhere and only got the appetizers, but not the main course, and then complained?

Let's not make a meal out of it...

I really think the phrase "first world problems" might be applicable here, in terms of the complaints folks have (and I say this as someone who paid the premium for the 25th Anniversary Edition).
Well yes, without a doubt it is. The existence of video games in and of itself is a first world thing; so of course you're going to be hearing about problems that are irrelevant on global scale on an internet forum. Like @Nielsen said above, there's always going to be some crap going on somewhere that matter a million times more.

Gran Turismo fell victim to this trend, initiated by NFS World I believe, of racing games as service.

It's a service. You won't get 100% of the content at launch. You're not supposed to. This game is unlike the classics in this regard.

The quality of the service depends on its continued support, not so much on the launch. Which is why reviewing services the same way retail games are reviewed is a practice that should've been extinct a while ago.

GT7, as a service, has been a mixed bag so far, but more negative than positive. They were quick to address a few bugs, but left us unable to play the game for more than 30 hours and balanced the economy rather poorly.

But every racing game has been moving to this model. Especially with Forza Horizon's success. Roulettes, timegating, credit income slowdown, everything bad about GT7 right now was taken from there. Turn 10 tried the same stunts on the Forza Motorsport players with FM7 and the game TANKED, to the point they were literally begging for an apology and had to drop support with it still being a broken mess, because few people played. EA on the other hand pushed through with NFS Payback and the game was dead on arrival and never recovered despite updates greatly toning down the lootboxes.

A wise CEO would've seen what happened with FM7 and wouldn't have repeated it in GT7. But neither Jim Ryan nor Kaz Yamauchi strike me as particularly wise when it comes to business. Because gaming executives' reaction to something that doesn't work is not to avoid it in the future, but try to sell it to a different audience hoping that this new audience will fall for the trap.

Make no mistake, this is how new racing games will be from now on, unless something really big happens, whether it's legislation or simply consumer dissatisfaction.

On the other hand, this news about GT has become mainstream already, so I think Sony will definitely act on the issue. How they're gonna do it is anybody's guess, but Sony heavily promoted this game and, with the rumored roadmap they have, which includes a possible PC port, they can't afford to have it tank.

Such a shame, OP. I understand you. I really like the game. It has a lot, and I mean A LOT of positives. But it's hard to disagree with the general sentiment. I even felt a little less motivated to play because the races don't pay enough.

Last edited:
I agree. This is my first GT game in a long time, the moaning and negative attitude is honestly draining. Enjoy the game it’s literally just come out plenty of time for patches fixes and new content.

It’s worse than bloody Fortnite kids moaning.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the way you play does not inflate actual time to complete café missions and licenses, again talking about main game not every single race completed, speed run proved to be at around 3 hours, so yeah I took my time
8683aec7d2190ee7a805cb5c1893642c.jpg

I agree it is wishful thinking, with some basis on their previous history

*Increased car prices - the XJ13 is down from 20m to 12m, I guess that there are other examples? Gr1/2/3/4 and VGT are the same?
*Reducing payouts at this time does look poor - I agree, and I mentioned the payouts for custom and sport mode races
*We couldn't sell gift cars in GTS, but we should be able to sell cars we've bought
*Roulette - I hate that it is as rigged as the daily spin in GTS, I've still won 4 cars inc Ruf and GT Spec II, and 700,000 credits
*Ignoring the bug - I don't know the system they have to use for updates, so I don't know if they did ignore

I don't disagree with the negativity, just think it is a bit over the top. But each to their own.
I go think that GT7 is a very good game as it is, but absolutely agree that it could have been a great game
I think if you look back you will see that complaints about not being able to sell reward cars was complained about for GT6 and GTS.

Back