• Thread starter Blue Comet
  • 43 comments
United States
CA
QBlue_CometQ
tsukubacircuit1ao.jpg

tsukubacircuitau.jpg

as you can see the rear wheels aren't rotating

Wait, where did you get the idea in the first place that the R34 had four wheel steering?

The thing that caught my attention most, was the banner that said, "This article does not cite any sources..." on the top of the page.

And I don't see anything about the R34 in that article either.

AND 10(give or take) degrees of turning to either side isn't really that noticeable.

Here's a list with all the AWS cars, or as reliable as wiki is.

Production cars with active four wheel steering

BMW 850CSi (optional)
BMW 7-Series (2009 onwards, part of sport package) [3]
BMW 5-series (2011 onwards, Integral Active Steering option) (wheels move in opposite direction for maneuverability at low speed, in same direction for stability at high speed)
Chevrolet Silverado (2002–2005) (high and low speed)
Efini MS-9 (high and low speed)
GMC Sierra (2002–2005) (high and low speed)
GMC Sierra Denali (2002–2004) (high and low speed)
Honda Prelude (high and low speed, mechanical from 1987 to 1991, computerized from 1992–2001)
Honda Accord (1991) (high and low speed, mechanical)
Honda Ascot Innova (1992) (high and low speed, computerized from 1992–1996)
Infiniti FX50 AWD (option on Sports package) (2008–Present) (high and low speed, fully electronic)
Infiniti G35 Sedan (option on Sport models) (2007–Present) (high speed only?)
Infiniti G35 Coupe (option on Sport models) (2006–Present) (high speed only)[4]
Infiniti J30t (touring package) (1993–1994)
Infiniti M35 (option on Sport models) (2006–Present) (high speed only?)
Infiniti M45 (option on Sport models) (2006–Present) (high speed only?)
Infiniti Q45t (1989–1994) (high speed only?)
Lexus GS (2013 onwards, if equipped with optional Lexus Dynamic Handling)
Mazda 929 (1992–1995)(computerised, high and low speed)(all models)
Mazda 626 (1988) (high and low speed)
Mazda MX-6 (1989–1997) (high and low speed)
Mazda RX-7 (optional, computerized, high and low speed)
Mazda Eunos 800 (1996–2003) (Optional, computerized, high and low speed)
Mercedes-Benz Vito (London Taxi variant)
Mitsubishi Galant/Sigma (high speed only)
Mitsubishi GTO (also sold as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and the Dodge Stealth) (Mechanical) (high speed only)
Nissan Cefiro (A31) (high speed only)
Nissan 180SX (HICAS option)
Nissan 240SX/Silvia (option on SE models) (high speed only)
Nissan 300ZX (all Twin-Turbo Z32 models) (high speed only)
Nissan Laurel (later versions) (high speed only)
Nissan Fuga/Infiniti M (high speed only)
Nissan Silvia (option on all S13 models) (high speed only)
Nissan Skyline GTS, GTS-R, GTS-X (1986) (high speed only)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (high and low speed)
Renault Laguna (only in GT version of 3rd generation which was launched October 2007, GT launched on April 2008)
Subaru Alcyone SVX JDM (1991–1996) (Japanese version: "L-CDX" only) (high speed only)
Toyota Aristo (1997) (high and low speed?)
Toyota Camry / Vista JDM 1988–1999 (Optional) [5]
Toyota Carina ED / Toyota Corona EXiV (world's first dual-mode switchable 2WS to 4WS)
Toyota Celica (option on 5th and 6th generation, 1990–1993 ST183 and 1994–1997 ST203) (Dual-mode, high and low speed)
Toyota Soarer (UZZ32)

Edit: oh and is the 3000gt in the GT5 modeled with AWS?

This is what 4WS looks like when you're right up close to the rear wheels and can see them in action:

While I doubt that the various 4WS mechanisms that are on the cars in the game (Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT, Nissan Skyline R32-R34 GT-R, Nissan R35 GT-R, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica ST183) are simulating visually at all, you'd be hard pressed to see it even if it were.

From what I have read, many people with the R34 just disconnected the hydraulics and just had the lines loop themselves. Easy fix to just make the front wheels turn only.

This is what 4WS looks like when you're right up close to the rear wheels and can see them in action:

While I doubt that the various 4WS mechanisms that are on the cars in the game (Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT, Nissan Skyline R32-R34 GT-R, Nissan R35 GT-R, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica ST183) are simulating visually at all, you'd be hard pressed to see it even if it were.

the R35 isnt 4WS...

The skyline in your picture is the standard model so idk if they would have inclued'd that feature.
Try it with the premium model.

Good video, but i can't imagine thats safe. :scared:

Good video, but i can't imagine thats safe. :scared:

It's actually more stable then just steering with the front wheels. At high speeds, all four wheels turn in the same direction (very slightly in the rear) to improve stability.

At low speeds, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front, helping with u-turns and maneuverability.

It's actually more stable then just steering with the front wheels. At high speeds, all four wheels turn in the same direction (very slightly in the rear) to improve stability.

At low speeds, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front, helping with u-turns and maneuverability.

I'm pretty sure he meant not safe to be running the car jacked up like that. Not being a mechanic I couldn't say if it is or not, but I don't think he meant the 4WS.

I was just waiting for the Ferris Bueller moment.:lol:

sik180sx
Nissans are a little bit different with max deflection of the rear wheels only being 1 degree max.Even how they work is different with all the sensors and stuff.

http://www.gtrpwr.com/showthread.php?p=22182.

Quite an interesting read,especially since my 180sx has super hicas 4ws.

Interesting read, but a major pain to work on! Were it my car, I would've ditched the HICUS system.

Last edited:
McClarenDesign
Interesting read, but a major pain to work on! Were it my car, I would've ditched the HICUS system.

Yes,i need to,it would be good for track work but it is damn scary when your sliding it,very twitchy to counter-steer indeed.I'm just glad it hasn't broken yet,touch wood. :nervous: :scared:

sik180sx
Yes,i need to,it would be good for track work but it is damn scary when your sliding it,very twitchy to counter-steer indeed.I'm just glad it hasn't broken yet,touch wood. :nervous: :scared:

I never got used to that feeling. Like you're gonna spin out @ 5 mph pulling into a gas station.

the R35 isnt 4WS...

That's not a R35. That's a Mitsubishi 3000GT.

Don't quote Wikipedia man, it's so unreliable. Any self declared half-wit can edit the page with half based truths.

Also, don't ever use Wikipedia in a bibliography, you won't do yourself no favours.

This +1. I think they should change it actually, anyone can edit articles with information that is simply not true.

Supermelon

Imagine that on a Caterham Fireblade.

Being a kit car I'm pretty sure it would be possible to add it. Possible doesn't mean easy.

From what I have read, many people with the R34 just disconnected the hydraulics and just had the lines loop themselves. Easy fix to just make the front wheels turn only.

That's for R32.

R33-R34 use electric motors on a rack. My personal experience of it (IRL) is very mild, you really don't notice it is there, unless you're into high speed drifting it can interfere. As mentioned even if GT5 does visually simulate it, you would be hard pressed to see it.

Last edited:
Back