Is this the end?

Pretty impressive for an incomplete game released in 2013.

Is it? Look at what it's competing against, similarly high profile titles from a similar period 18 months ago.

There are nearly no big new titles coming out on PS3 to shake that list up. See how high J Stars VS is. I had to go and Google that just to find out what it was.

The list will probably look similar for the next several years until Sony stops publishing it. Because those are the most recent AAA titles available on PSN, and they're available at massive discount. Anyone with a PS3 who likes the genre (or getting a new PS3 for some reason) will buy those games. Because for $15, you might as well. The sales will continue to trickle in, because there's never going to be anything newer and better on the system.

A game doesn't have to be very good to worth $15. That's the price of a couple of beers. A game does have to be pretty good to be worth $60, and apparently a lot of people think that the value of GT6 was closer to $15 than $60.

...On PS3, at least. Sufficient enough to be in the top ten, but without any way of knowing how well that is outside of that specific measurement.

Like how the top selling Vita game was whatever "J-STARS Victory VS+" is, but how pitiful does a game need to sell to still make it to the top of that list?

That's why I said sufficient enough to be in the top 10 earlier, was going to say still selling great but having no actual sales figures of either game in the list won't allow anyone to make that claim.

@Imari
I know. But it is still selling none the less, so GT6 maybe at the end for GTPlanet regulars who were probably playing it from launch but new people are still joining and hopefully enjoying.

Last edited:
@Imari
I know. But it is still selling none the less, so GT6 maybe at the end for GTPlanet regulars who were probably playing it from launch but new people are still joining and hopefully enjoying.

Certainly. Nobody ever claimed it wasn't still selling.

But how many players are leaving each week compared to the number of new players joining? How many of those new players stay and play long term, and how many get their ten or twenty hours for $15 and never touch it again? You have no idea, and a ranked list filled with other old games of a similar generation, and with no actual sales numbers does nothing to support the argument that GT6 is not nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Is Battlefield 4 nearing the end of it's lifespan? Is Arkham Origins? Black Ops 2? The Last of Us? How about Mortal Kombat at number 2, four years old and with a major sequel out? I couldn't say, but they all feel like games that have had their moment in the sun already to me.

These games are all old gen and out of date. People continue to buy them because they're great fun for the price, but there are not and will not be major influxes of new players to any of them. The question is whether the player base in GT6 has largely stabilised, or if people are still continuing to leave for the newer games like FM6, pCARS, Assetto Corsa, and Dirt Rally. And below a certain level, things like the online community become a bit useless.

I seem to remember that quick match had a counter for how many rooms/players were currently using it. What does that say these days? I'd check, but I haven't turned GT6 on for several patches, and I'm not sitting through an hour of updates just to check one number.

Seems GT6 still selling sufficient enough as it's in the top 10 for PSN July sales.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/07/playstation-store-july-2015s-top-sellers/

Just to clarify - This is based on download only chart figures and are only for USA region.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/best-selling-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita-games-on-psn-for-/1100-6429587/

Worldwide figures are rarely the same. Plus with the list being download only it is probably just a case of which games are price cut at any given time, more than the case for how representatively well they are currently selling worldwide, in both disc and download, in terms of total comparison.

Last edited:
I still only fire up GT6 for the VGT cars, nothing else. When I get them I look at them and still feel like I'm lost time that I won't get back. I do all my gaming on PC nowadays. pCars, AC, rFactor2 and Elite Dangerous is so much more immersive and fun. 46 laps on Watkins Glen in the wet is epic. Or 6 hours of Estoril 15th august in rF2. Online with driver swaps.

Don't need to invest another €500 in a new console, that money will go towards VR stuff...

After a bit of coming back to GT6, I now agree with most of the stuff stated here. It has gotten bland, easy, and now all my friends don't want to race me because they always lose (I don't have serious racers for friends). //i find it impossible to play online anymore, either. My time zone is so out of whack that I really can't join a GT6 series unless I wake up at 3am to race 6-7 people if the series is lucky enough. Cruise lobbies aren't really cruising anymore. Well, they rarely were in the first place, but now they are almost full-retard.

Now I'm doing PC sims like @m00ndancer. RACE 07 & GTR2 are the two best I have, and they are tons more fun than GT6, and you can buy both of them on Steam for less than half of $60. I do these sims mainly to kill time and wait out for the course maker in the least boring way possible. I'm not going to sit around whining and crying and trying to convince people that PD is the worst company ever (have you seen how T10 is, too?) because a feature in an arguably gigantic game hasn't come out yet. It has been promised, it'll be here. Just not overnight.

Find something else to do in the meantime.

Just to clarify - This is based on download only chart figures and are only for USA region.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/best-selling-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita-games-on-psn-for-/1100-6429587/

Worldwide figures are rarely the same. Plus with the list being download only it is probably just a case of which games are price cut at any given time, more than the case for how representatively well they are currently selling worldwide, in both disc and download, in terms of total comparison.

Don't see why you saw the need to clarify that, clearly I said "July PSN Sales" and linked to the US PS Blog then a post was made directly beneath mine stating the EU PSN sales chart. I didn't claim it was worldwide.

Certainly. Nobody ever claimed it wasn't still selling.

But how many players are leaving each week compared to the number of new players joining? How many of those new players stay and play long term, and how many get their ten or twenty hours for $15 and never touch it again? You have no idea, and a ranked list filled with other old games of a similar generation, and with no actual sales numbers does nothing to support the argument that GT6 is not nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Is Battlefield 4 nearing the end of it's lifespan? Is Arkham Origins? Black Ops 2? The Last of Us? How about Mortal Kombat at number 2, four years old and with a major sequel out? I couldn't say, but they all feel like games that have had their moment in the sun already to me.

These games are all old gen and out of date. People continue to buy them because they're great fun for the price, but there are not and will not be major influxes of new players to any of them. The question is whether the player base in GT6 has largely stabilised, or if people are still continuing to leave for the newer games like FM6, pCARS, Assetto Corsa, and Dirt Rally. And below a certain level, things like the online community become a bit useless.

I seem to remember that quick match had a counter for how many rooms/players were currently using it. What does that say these days? I'd check, but I haven't turned GT6 on for several patches, and I'm not sitting through an hour of updates just to check one number.

Why you complicating things by asking these questions no one can answer? A fact was stated and proof provided, I made no hypotheticals, made no assumptions. Simply hoping that whoever is still purchasing is enjoying, you obviously have moved on.

Don't see why you saw the need to clarify that, clearly I said "July PSN Sales" and linked to the US PS Blog then a post was made directly beneath mine stating the EU PSN sales chart. I didn't claim it was worldwide.

Why you complicating things by asking these questions no one can answer? A fact was stated and proof provided, I made no hypotheticals, made no assumptions. Simply hoping that whoever is still purchasing is enjoying, you obviously have moved on.
I feel the need to comment on my horrific internet and how I still manage to have fun hours on end, without any Seasonals, or even online racing, since I get kicked from most lobbies unless I am racing with GT6 friends, of which I only have 1 that I talk to. I still marvel at GT6 everytime I play it, and I even still feel impressed knowing that it is nearly 2 years old.

I find that you need to find new things to challenge yourself, or you will find nothing interesting. So, if you havent already: try some drifting; try to beat real lap times on the same tracks with equivalent cars; try to get around the Nurburgring Nordschleife in under 3 minutes, or 4, or 5, or whatever is challenging for your car. These things probably wont be short term things so I am sure they can help.

So, that's my question: is this the end? (until GT7 i guess)

For me, it has been since at least over a year or so. I've not even bothered to install updates anymore to play the game. I was however cheered when Midfield returned, but that just lasted an hour or so. Then, I didn't really care about updates anymore.
Even when reading between the lines (and if I recall correctly), Kaz has said that you shouldn't expect much stuff, except for more VGT's..
I feel, that its just sad. I felt ripped off a long time ago already by buying several GT6 Discs, and I further feel like being ripped off right now.
For me, the old GT feeling has fully vanished..

If PD would ever want me to buy another game, they'd have to pile up massively..
I have enough alternatives in terms of racing available on another platform..

Yes your link was for the PSN US site. I thought it was worth clarifying both it's regional only and sales type as we're discussing 'is this the end of GT6', and the topic is diverse in its encompassment. Much more so than just regional download chart position only etc.

Seems GT6 still selling sufficient enough as it's in the top 10 for PSN July sales.

Pretty impressive for an incomplete game released in 2013.

Selling sufficiently enough, but in the US through PS store downloads is how I would view that. And I don't see how it's impressive, it's just casual sales on the end of the PS3 lifetime cycle. Sales of current gen must be enormous now compared to 'PS3 Bargain Bin Deals'. So 9th place is nothing for Kaz and PD should take notice of, given this telling article from 2013 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-09-gran-turismo-6-launch-sales-were-just-a-fifth-of-gt5s

It's also worth remembering that PD have not shared the total figures of GT6 sales, (the only Gran Turismo they have not done so for in fact). I've seen a rumoured total of 3 million, somewhere around the web ...

But besides that, here's how GT6 stacked up in Europe on release. After 6 months it sat in a lowly 17th place shifting well under half a million discs. A miserable failure in Europe for a Gran Turismo title - http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=873824

17th place just 6 months after launch in the EU on disc based sales... And people wonder why 5 was killed off...

You brought several?

Yes. I pre-ordered the french "15th Anniversary Edition" aka "L'ÉDITION ANNIVERSAIRE" as it was cheaper in France than here if I recall correctly. But the shipment didn't make it in time on the relase date, and I was busy with other stuff, or whatever.
So I went to the next shop nearby on Release Date +1 day, to buy another "Normal" release of the game (as it was a Saturday and I knew that the Anniversary Edition wouldn't be delivered until Monday)..
An that's why I have 2 copies of the game..
I might have broken all GT6 sale statistics with that weird behaviour :lol:

Yes. I pre-ordered the french "15th Anniversary Edition" aka "L'ÉDITION ANNIVERSAIRE" as it was cheaper in France than here if I recall correctly. But the shipment didn't make it in time on the relase date, and I was busy with other stuff, or whatever.
So I went to the next shop nearby on Release Date +1 day, to buy another "Normal" release of the game (as it was a Saturday and I knew that the Anniversary Edition wouldn't be delivered until Monday)..
An that's why I have 2 copies of the game..
I might have broken all GT6 sale statistics with that weird behaviour :lol:

Been there done that. I had 3 copies of GT5.. My girlfriend at the time mysteriously broke the first two. :lol:

Been there done that. I had 3 copies of GT5.. My girlfriend at the time mysteriously broke the first two. :lol:

For GT5, I had two as well. I bought the Academy XXL Edtition when it was really cheap, to shove around paint chips and cars, when I already had 2 PS3's back then..
The old FAT was just about to go to hell, according to its fan. So I had to buy a slim one back then..

Before the day when save game editing was possible. And that's why I have a "legit" GT5 Platinum Trophy.
Yeah, some people might see the coherence on all that stuff ;)

For GT5, I had two as well. I bought the Academy XXL Edtition when it was really cheap, to shove around paint chips and cars, when I already had 2 PS3's back then..
The old FAT was just about to go to hell, according to its fan. So I had to buy a slim one back then..

Before the day when save game editing was possible. And that's why I have a "legit" GT5 Platinum Trophy.
Yeah, some people might see the coherence on all that stuff ;)

Haha nice! I never got around to doing the GT5 platinum, but with 6 I did.

Q. What's the difference between an economist, an accountant, a statistician, & a gamer?
A. Nothing, it would seem.

A sad sign of the times methinks.

Numbers reflect facts. Facts reflect the truth... In so many ways.

Would you like the Universe to be quantifiable by a number? Or merely just measured by how much you like it and how cool you think it looks?

Haha nice! I never got around to doing the GT5 platinum, but with 6 I did.

Numbers reflect facts. Facts reflect the truth... In so many ways.

Would you like the Universe to be quantifiable by a number? Or merely just measured by how much you like it and how cool you think it looks?

Whatever happened to just playing a game without waffling on over who is the best & who sells the most or who has the most impressive figures??
It's no different to little children arguing over whose dad has the biggest appendage.
Statistics mean nothing, & prove likewise. They can be interpreted in different ways & are skewed to facilitate any conclusion desired.
That's why any offered statistic is *always* rejected & denied by an opposition followed by a swift counter offer of their own statistics.
Statistics are not facts, they are merely questionable trivia.

As for the universe, that has never been quantifiable & never will. Any scientific claim to the contrary is pure folly.
You cannot quantify infinity. There is no mathematical equation that can explain something that never had a beginning and will never have an end. No matter what any "professor" says.
I prefer it just the way I like it & how cool I think it looks.
There's less BS that way.

Whatever happened to just playing a game without waffling on over who is the best & who sells the most or who has the most impressive figures??
It's no different to little children arguing over whose dad has the biggest appendage.
Statistics mean nothing, & prove likewise. They can be interpreted in different ways & are skewed to facilitate any conclusion desired.
That's why any offered statistic is *always* rejected & denied by an opposition followed by a swift counter offer of their own statistics.
Statistics are not facts, they are merely questionable trivia.

Is this the end for GT6? Your answer here is asking whatever happened to playing the game. How are you going to know if the game is dead or not? That's right, statistics ;)

As for the universe, that has never been quantifiable & never will. Any scientific claim to the contrary is pure folly.
You cannot quantify infinity. There is no mathematical equation that can explain something that never had a beginning and will never have an end. No matter what any "professor" says.
I prefer it just the way I like it & how cool I think it looks.
There's less BS that way.

Man is but a small ant in the vast playground of the universe. But man is also clever, he can use estimates and statistics to measure the big shiny vastness... Additionally, since when has the universe been classified as infinite? It had a beginning, just ask Mr Edwin Hubbles namesake on that one...

I respect that, but still I await a meaningful contribution from you in regards to the OPs topic and not a sigh of despair that people like to examine the numbers behind how GTs lifespan has been shaped thus far...

What's your view on it all?

Last edited:
Did you try it with a wheel? To me, Project CARS has a far superior physics engine.

No since i've moved to my new place i haven't got space for a wheel so haven't tried Project cars with one, will have to take your word for it that it is better than GT with a wheel.

Would love to try it with a wheel tho as even getting away from a standing start with traction control on in a formula A car is impossible on a pad! a throttle pedal would help me out a lot in this game lol.

Is this the end for GT6? Your answer here is asking whatever happened to playing the game. How are you going to know if the game is dead or not? That's right, statistics ;)

Man is but a small ant in the vast playground of the universe. But man is also clever, he can use estimates and statistics to measure the big shiny vastness... Additionally, since when has the universe been classified as infinite? It had a beginning, just ask Mr Edwin Hubbles namesake on that one...

I respect that, but still I await a meaningful contribution from you in regards to the OPs topic and not a sigh of despair that people like to examine the numbers behind how GTs lifespan has been shaped thus far...

What's your view on it all?

The game is/will be dead when I choose it to be.
Not because of some silly statistics.

There. Meaningful enough for you?

Re the universe, just keep believing whatever you're told.

The game is/will be dead when I choose it to be.
Not because of some silly statistics.

There. Meaningful enough for you?

Re the universe, just keep believing whatever you're told.

Not so much meaningful, more grumpy looking :lol:

I won't get into this, because topic, but if you think that the picture from the Hubble telescope showed nothing but ' telling people what to believe ', then I would seriously have to question your fundamental skills of understanding. What you have there is evidence, but maybe you're the 'type' to just 'keep believing whatever you're told'...

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, perhaps, it is the end of the beginning.

Mr Churchill was clearly 70+ years ahead of his time.

Personal opinion - the game is in a lull. When the CM arrives it will get busy again for a while, maybe 2/3 months depending on how good/bad the CM is.

Personal opinion - I believe the master plan is to try to keep things ticking over till q4 2016 when the next GT game comes out. (Not saying whether I think it will or not, just that I think that is the PD plan).

No, it is not the end. The last time I checked in GT Academy there were more than 100 thousand people. That is still a lot of people for a game which is going to be 2yrs old now. I do not think other racing games have even half of those numbers TBH. Release of Pcars and other games will bring more competition. With so many games now to choose from it will be difficult for GT7 to have a big advantage.

As far as GT6 update goes. I guess it is not their priority now. I do not think the servers will be shutdown before GT7. As many people are still using it including me every now and then and someone posted that it is in top10 list in PS3 games for July

Last edited:
Not so much meaningful, more grumpy looking :lol:

I won't get into this, because topic, but if you think that the picture from the Hubble telescope showed nothing but ' telling people what to believe ', then I would seriously have to question your fundamental skills of understanding. What you have there is evidence, but maybe you're the 'type' to just 'keep believing whatever you're told'...

Please explain how the fact that I believe whether the game is dead or not is *my* decision to make, is a grumpy one..? It is me playing the game,after all.

My fundamental skills of understanding are in tip top condition. I also have the ability to think for myself, weird hey?
So the Hubble pictures showed a wall in space with a sign saying "This is where the Universe ends. Here." Did they??

I must have missed that. Damn.

I also must have missed the ones with the arrows pointing to one spot with the
sign saying "Birthplace of the Universe".

Double damn.

The pictures you refer to *prove* nothing. Man loves to speculate & hypothesize. That's about it.

Please explain how the fact that I believe whether the game is dead or not is *my* decision to make, is a grumpy one..? It is me playing the game,after all.

My fundamental skills of understanding are in tip top condition. I also have the ability to think for myself, weird hey?
So the Hubble pictures showed a wall in space with a sign saying "This is where the Universe ends. Here." Did they??

I must have missed that. Damn.

I also must have missed the ones with the arrows pointing to one spot with the
sign saying "Birthplace of the Universe".

Double damn.

The pictures you refer to *prove* nothing. Man loves to speculate & hypothesize. That's about it.

I pointed out that your tone of posting seemed grumpy, a little bit like this one...

Not being dead for you is not the same as not being dead for the majority.

I'd love to debate science all day with you, but I don't feel it would lead anywhere as i'm highly doubtful of your ability to understand what science actually is on the strength of your premise within your reply... The short version would be that Hubble discovered that further back in space time all the galaxies were closer together. This lead to a conclusion through evidence that the Universe did have a starting point, ( The Big Bang ). Kinda refutes your stance of the Universe being infinite, with just one photo... But yeah, thread drift fodder...

Aren't you a scientist @Famine ? I seem to recall a conversation with you some years back. :)

By very definition, everywhere is the birthplace of the universe...

And who defined that? Ah, Man of course. Man's definitions are not absolutes.

I pointed out that your tone of posting seemed grumpy, a little bit like this one...

Not being dead for you is not the same as not being dead for the majority.

I'd love to debate science all day with you, but I don't feel it would lead anywhere as i'm highly doubtful of your ability to understand what science actually is on the strength of your premise within your reply... The short version would be that Hubble discovered that further back in space time all the galaxies were closer together. This lead to a conclusion through evidence that the Universe did have a starting point, ( The Big Bang ). Kinda refutes your stance of the Universe being infinite, with just one photo... But yeah, thread drift fodder...

Aren't you a scientist @Famine ? I seem to recall a conversation with you some years back. :)

But the premise of the OP is asking for a *personal* opinion, is it not? I can hardly answer on behalf of the majority now,can I. Pretty obvious I would have thought.

The "conclusion through evidence" you smugly refer to, i.e. the ludicrous Big Bang theory is just that. A theory.
It is not a fact, nor has it ever remotely come close to being proven.
There are just as many scientists who reject the theory as there are ones who advocate it.
So which of them are right or wrong?
I know, the ones with the biggest diplomas & the most abbreviations after their title *must* be right. Of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back