Is this the worst first release of a game in the history of racing games?PS4 

• Thread starter Old N Slow
  • 150 comments
But I'm quite amazed by the fact that 80 thousand people were oblivious to some very serious game breaking issues.
What gives you the idea that none of those bugs were reported? And PS4/XB1 versions haven't been available for WMD before release at all, so no testing from WMD there.

On my end, save a few minor issues, the experience has been pretty much glitch and bug free for me (PC). No game-breakers. And I'm pretty sure that applies to a lot of people, judging all of the people playing just fine (not to take away from the fact that the game breaking bugs are there and need to be fixed ASAP of course). Same on PS4 BTW (also judging by metacritic ratings).

What gives you the idea that none of those bugs were reported? And PS4/XB1 versions haven't been used by WMD before release at all.

Well, if they were reported, then the situation is even more embarassing and it gives some people lots of points to criticize WMD and the hype around tha game.

I'm having lots of issues with the game. From audio bugs to stupid random Thrustmaster T500RS berzerking on menu screens, but I'm enjoying it because I'm a racer and the game does lots of things well. But it isn't finished, it has big problems and I would be very pissed if the first DLC car pack, which is ready by the looks of lots of YouTube videos, became avaiable before those bugs get patched.

Well, if they were reported, then the situation is even more embarassing and it gives some people lots of points to criticize WMD and the hype around tha game.
Again, WMD never tested the PS4/XB1 versions.

I'm having lots of issues with the game. From audio bugs to stupid random Thrustmaster T500RS berzerking on menu screens, but I'm enjoying it because I'm a racer and the game does lots of things well. But it isn't finished, it has big problems and I would be very pissed if the first DLC car pack, which is ready by the looks of lots of YouTube videos, became avaiable before those bugs get patched.
Agreed, and I'm pretty sure they will be addressed as fast as SMS can. 👍

But I'm quite amazed by the fact that 80 thousand people were oblivious to some very serious game breaking issues.

Apart from the issues out of nowhere on the console versions, each and every single one of the bugs/glitches/things to improve have been mentioned in one form or another on WMD before release. Many things made it to the release version, some not. SMS had to select the release date window pretty early in the year and just couldn't cross off all the things on their lists in time. It is and it was an ongoing project from the beginning and will mature over time. Besides the freedom of options and choices, that is another thing console owners have to get accustomed to these days.

Again, WMD never tested the PS4/XB1 versions.

The "it's the same game on all platforms!" selling argument has died an infamous death.

And, sorry, but three major game breaking bugs happened to me in 45 minutes. I wasn't doing anything fancy, so it's amuzing that beta testers, WMD members or not, didn't find any of those. A chimp could got the T500 spinning madly on the menu screens, for instance, because it doesn't need any effort: you just have to boot up the game, calibrate the thing and try to play.

And, finally, people talks.

Agreed, and I'm pretty sure they will be addressed as fast as SMS can. 👍

Boy, they better be. As I said, the game does lot of things right, and I'm enjoying so far. But eventually, one could get fed up of some 🤬 quite easily.

Apart from the issues out of nowhere on the console versions, each and every single one of the bugs/glitches/things to improve have been mentioned in one form or another on WMD before release. Many things made it to the release version, some not. SMS had to select the release date window pretty early in the year and just couldn't cross off all the things on their lists in time. It is and it was an ongoing project from the beginning and will mature over time. Besides the freedom of options and choices, that is another thing console owners have to get accustomed to these days.

Damage control on full pace everywhere.

And "just couldn't cross off all the things" is ok to features, small hickups on UI and things like that. But not to game breaking bugs.

But it is my opinion, anyways.

But it isn't finished, it has big problems and I would be very pissed if the first DLC car pack, which is ready by the looks of lots of YouTube videos, became avaiable before those bugs get patched.
Why given that its very unlikely that the two are being worked on by the same people?

Stopping people from working on the DLC and/or releasing it is not going to get other issues fixed any quicker.

Why given that its very unlikely that the two are being worked on by the same people?

Stopping people from working on the DLC and/or releasing it is not going to get other issues fixed any quicker.

You're probably right, different teams works on different things.

I would just find it wrong to see DLC being released before some things get patched. But I'm an old-timer, I guess.

The "it's the same game on all platforms!" selling argument has died an infamous death.

I remember hearing how this game was being developed for all platforms, not being made specifically for PC & then ported. However, the PS4 version certainly seems like a game made for PC that was hastily ported & not tested properly. I won't automatically believe what SMS tell me again, & I just hope these bugs get addressed asap.

Damage control on full pace everywhere.

So, what do you suggest? Your disappointment is understandable, but the majority of players really are enjoying the game and have next to no or no issues at all. Nobody is more entitled to have his voice heard than anybody else.

So, what do you suggest? Your disappointment is understandable, but the majority of players really are enjoying the game and have next to no or no issues at all. Nobody is more entitled to have his voice heard than anybody else.

I don't suggest anything. I just want the thing working rock solid and I thought GTPlanet would be a place to vent and discuss issues.

And I said lots of times in the past pages: I'm enjoying the game.

PSN version.

I'm just wondering if there are more bugs in the downloaded version, than in the disc version. Would be interesting if someone who had both could compare them. Just a thought.

VBR
I'm just wondering if there are more bugs in the downloaded version, than in the disc version. Would be interesting if someone who had both could compare them. Just a thought.
Hmmm interesting thought.:boggled:

It would explain why some people are getting way more bugs on PS4 than others. But it's just a guess, it needs testing.

So please respond to the question.

Started Gaming in the late 1970's with Hanimex Pong before graduating to Atari 2600 so I've seen many games and systems come and go.
I can't recall a game release that had so many issues on release on a console. Some PC games have had issues on release but this seems to be the worst I've encountered on a console.
Curious if anyone can think of one worse.
Anyone?

Gran Turismo 2 would not let you complete the game
Metropolis Street Racer had so many bugs it required Sega to issue a recall for the game
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had numerous game ending bugs
Mass Effect had lots of missions where scripting would not kick in meaning you could not complete missions

I'm always stunned but sadly never supprised when people on forums and in comments make hyperbolic assertions about a games quality. The most bugged game in the world, the developers should publicly apologise, I'm trading it in! Except it's got the same amount of bugs as any other software release and people mistake their own ability or inability as a bug.

I'm not of course defending bugs or saying that if you've encountered a bug it's acceptable but worst I've encountered on a console? Really? You played on systems that would crash on loading the bloody tape!

Best one I've heard about project Cars so far is people spinning in a car on slow speed corners with cold tyres and insisting it's a bug... You spun the car you bloody idiot because you're in a SLS, on cold tyres, accelerating to 5,000 rpm ! :)

VBR
seems like a game made for PC that was hastily ported & not tested properly

Since there are rigid NDA in place on everything console related (by MS/Sony) i can't say much about the QA process there. What i know is that SMS has special teams for the console platforms since the beginning of the project and improvements on one or the other platform made it into the shared codebase. It is not the case that the console versions were developed by sloppy or inexperienced people or that it was a hasty port of the steam version.

The "it's the same game on all platforms!" selling argument has died an infamous death
No it hasn't, see below. 👍

VBR
I remember hearing how this game was being developed for all platforms, not being made specifically for PC & then ported.

And it ís the same code base. But each platform has its own hardware and drivers, causing specific issues. Just because the code base is shared doesn't mean each individual system can't have individual issues. PC is no different BTW, as can be seen from the obvious difference in performance between AMD and nVidia, or other issues we see popping up there too.

But yeah, PC development benefitted hugely from having WMD testing all the builds. Most of that fed directly back into the consoles, but obviously not the specific stuff.

No it hasn't, see below. 👍

And it ís the same code base. But each platform has its own hardware and drivers, causing specific issues. Just because the code base is shared doesn't mean each individual system can't have individual issues. PC is no different BTW, as can be seen from the obvious difference in performance between AMD and nVidia, or other issues we see popping up there too.

But yeah, PC development benefitted hugely from having WMD testing all the builds. Most of that fed directly back into the consoles, but obviously not the specific stuff.
I'm on amd and have no issues as i run at what my computer is capable of and accept that. but it seems most people can't accept that amd is ultimately not as good as the nvidia. But refuse to lower their settings. i'm currently running anywhere between 70 fps and 45 fps on a 2gb gpu.

Since there are rigid NDA in place on everything console related (by MS/Sony) i can't say much about the QA process there. What i know is that SMS has special teams for the console platforms since the beginning of the project and improvements on one or the other platform made it into the shared codebase. It is not the case that the console versions were developed by sloppy or inexperienced people or that it was a hasty port of the steam version.
Indeed, I remember many mentions of console specific fixes in build notes throughout the development of the game. This was definitely no console port at the end of PC development. Development of all three version happened alongside one another.

But, as others have pointed out, the PC version had thousands of testers highlighting bugs. The console versions had relatively few and hence once the game is released the testing pool suddenly increases massively and more bugs are found. That's just the nature of consoles and is one of the limitations of them. As a console owner you have to accept that.

However, I own the game on PC, PS4 and XBone and am yet to encounter any significant bugs in any version. It's sucks for those that have but surely people can see that behind the bugs is a gem of a game that deserves patience because that patience will definitely be rewarded.

Last edited:
Sure thing, Driveclub is incredible now and no doubt CARS has a lot less issues than what DC had
Driveclub didn't have many bugs, less than the average game. But it had a single, HUGE issue: The server code could not deal with the number of players. The rework has not been finished yet :/.

Driveclub didn't have many bugs, less than the average game. But it had a single, HUGE issue: The server code could not deal with the number of players. The rework has not been finished yet :/.

True, I meant it as an issue with the game not a bug in a technical term (DC is all but perfect for me now).

For the last 8-9 years nearly all console games have released with bugs. Most are fixed quite early on in day one patches, some take longer. It is what it is, that's the way it has been for a long time now. Your basically playing early access some of the time. Sorry to say this but anybody expecting a flawless experience from day one is an idiot. Has the last 8 years taught you nothing? Suck it up or remember not to jump in on release day if you can't handle a few bugs.

For the last 8-9 years nearly all console games have released with bugs. Most are fixed quite early on in day one patches, some take longer. It is what it is, that's the way it has been for a long time now. Your basically playing early access some of the time. Sorry to say this but anybody expecting a flawless experience from day one is an idiot. Has the last 8 years taught you nothing? Suck it up or remember not to jump in on release day if you can't handle a few bugs.
Unfortunately...

You're right of course, and if SMS doesn't get some of this worked out we will rightfully be more than unhappy in a few months. For perspective, 17 months after release, in GT6 camber doesn't work properly. Ride height is backwards. Aero is borked. And tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of people chasing their GTAcademy dream of going from couch potato to race driver in one easy step, are unaware that if you enter a GTA event, back out and enter again, you have more grip. Given how close the competition is, I doubt that anyone who doesn't do that will have a chance to put in a qualifying time. Imagine if you're a tenth out and find out that you could have used this glitch to qualify? :lol:

No, not by a long shot. NASCAR The Game (first release by Activision) was pretty much unplayable upon release, even in single player offline mode. I could only play for about 20 minutes before the game would just freeze my system. Others experienced this as well so it wasn't just me. Even after they patched the game, it was still pretty much unplayable. Worst first release of a game in history in my opinion/experience.

Back