Is tyre degradation so high in GT5 thats its unrealistic? PD read!

• Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 362 comments
Tyre physics...GT5, what?!

That sums it up, GT5 has NO tyre physics.

- Exaggerated tire wear;
- Unrealistic grip ammounts

Many tests have confirmed that:
GT5 comfort tires - real life street tires
GT5 sport tires - real life performance tires
GT5 sport soft/racing hard tires - real life racing tires

For example, comfort hard would be something you'd find on basically Ford Ka, comfort mediums would be something you'd find on something ranging from McLaren F1 to Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG and comfort soft would be on anything ranging from SLS AMG to Ferrari Enzo.
Sport tires would represent performance tires, such as Corvette ZR1's tires (sport mediums) or Bugatti Veyron's (sport hards) or Viper ACR's (sport mediums or maybe even sport softs).
Racing tires are represented by either sport soft or racing hard, racing mediums at most.

Last edited:
In F1 sometimes they get similar or better tyre life from the softer compound tyre and faster laps.

Not since the Pirelli's. And, I doubt the Bridgestones did this either. I do remember some cars having problems getting enough heat into the tires to make them work properly, but on a car that works well the harder tires always last longer.

F1 tyres are purpose made by Pirelli to degrade quickly (for more interesting racing within the 60ish laps of a race), not to mention the massive forces F1 cars put through the rubber. If you put them on a road car you would really struggle to wear them out because they'd hardly get warm.

Except for a few hypercars, a road car wouldn't be able to get enough heat into them to get them to work.

Agree with the "too accelerated in GT5" theory.

I can use a set of R-compound DOT tires for a full season of Road Course racing IRL. That's 6 racing weekends, with 4 20-30min races each weekend and 4 warm up/qualifying sessions as well. 24 20 or 30 minute (and one one hour) races total. Granted performance peaks after a few heat cycles, and slowly tapers off at the end of the season... but it's no where near what GT5 simulates.

I crewed for a guy that raced in the GTI cup. We used shaved Toyo Proxies and they were like a sports hard-sports medium in GT5. We got about a dozen practice/race sessions out of them before they needed changing. If our driver drove on track like we do in GT5 he probably would have gotten half that. We did do a practice on some street tires once and once they got warm they started chunking badly. So with the sport tires, they don't last long enough in GT5 and comfort tires last way to long in GT5.

The racing hards should be like endurance racing tires and the racing softs should be like the F1 softs and racing medium should be somewhere in between.

Seems to me like the only tires they got right are the racing softs... and I think they still last too long.

Some have also complained about a loss of grip as a tire wears, this is what happens to a tire in real life. A worn tire will have less grip than a new one. A worn racing tire will have had a lot of heat put into it and near the end of its stint it will lose grip as it wears. A worn street tire will wear out the softer outer layers of rubber and lose grip over months/years of use by being on the harder lower layers of rubber and by changes in the rubber due to the many heat cycles, weather, pollution, etc. Maybe if GT5 got the life cycles correct, then the loss of grip due to wear would be more realistic.

A worn tire will have less grip than a new one. A worn racing tire will have had a lot of heat put into it and near the end of its stint it will lose grip as it wears. A worn street tire will wear out the softer outer layers of rubber and lose grip over months/years of use by being on the harder lower layers of rubber and by changes in the rubber due to the many heat cycles, weather, pollution, etc.

This is mostly an incorrect statement.

In real life, on street tires, the car will handle BETTER (in the dry) as the tire wears.

As tread pattern is removed from street tires, they become more and more like slicks. They do not gradually loose grip as they wear; they gradually GAIN grip and then it drops off suddenly when you reach cord.

This is NOT the same on slicks for obvious reasons.

You mention the rubber degrading and causing a loss of grip; this can happen but will take multiple years as long as the tires are maintained properly.

----

As stated above, that's only if the tire doesn't wear funny and/or start to chunk.

In real life, on street tires, the car will handle BETTER (in the dry) as the tire wears.
No doubt this is true with normal driving but when the tire is push to it's limit it would seem to me less rubber means less heat the tire can absorb and the faster it will break down.

As tread pattern is removed from street tires, they become more and more like slicks. They do not gradually loose grip as they wear; they gradually GAIN grip and then it drops off suddenly when you reach cord.

This is NOT the same on slicks for obvious reasons.

You mention the rubber degrading and causing a loss of grip; this can happen but will take multiple years as long as the tires are maintained properly.

----

As stated above, that's only if the tire doesn't wear funny and/or start to chunk.

You're wrong.

You see - there is breaking-in of the engine and there's breaking-in of the tire (I don't know the correct terminology so let's leave it at that).
You're reffering at the broken-in tire, after you put a new tire on a car it may take a couple of hundreds of kilometers to reach the tire's full potential but there's no way a flat tire (and by flat I mean bald) can be a good thing and add grip, because, you see - tire isn't all rubber (as you know), it has fibers under the surface layer (threads) and when a tire is balded out fibers will be exposed and when that happens it's not a good thing.
Car's braking, speed, fuel consumption, cornering and most importantly - driver's safety will be compromised.

And I'm yet to see a bald tire without exposed fibers.

Has any else noticed that there is no tire wear at all in most A-Spec races. Only endurance and online have any tire wear or fuel burn off. PD fix that please.

You're wrong.

You see - there is breaking-in of the engine and there's breaking-in of the tire (I don't know the correct terminology so let's leave it at that).
You're reffering at the broken-in tire, after you put a new tire on a car it may take a couple of hundreds of kilometers to reach the tire's full potential but there's no way a flat tire (and by flat I mean bald) can be a good thing and add grip, because, you see - tire isn't all rubber (as you know), it has fibers under the surface layer (threads) and when a tire is balded out fibers will be exposed and when that happens it's not a good thing.
Car's braking, speed, fuel consumption, cornering and most importantly - driver's safety will be compromised.

I think he was referring to the more a street tire wears the less the tire will be spongy around the corners as well will soften up some (less tread) so to give you a little better traction on dry pavement.

Ok so first of all I must say I have never used "Racing" slicks in real life and done laps with it to see how they wear.

But what about the Sports and comfort tyres in GT5, are they not meant to represent real world tyres people have access to for street driving? I sure have used those!

Even performance tyres in my car in real life last years. I try not to do too many burnouts, but I load them and make them screech around corners on a daily basis

Not only have I never felt tyres to be wearing out anywhere near as fast as in Gt5 but I have also NOT noticed much of a reduction in grip if any as the tyre wears, at least not until its under half worn and much more. I am only talking about dry weather here.

It seems to make sense to me, isnt the tyre material made of the same rubber until you get to the point where you have to throw them out i.e completely worn?

In GT5 it seems not only do the tyres seem to be wearing in fast forward but as soon as your tyres hit 95% wear left they loose a TON of their grip neither of which feels even CLOSE to real imo.

A lot of good racers in gt5 that drive carefullly, especially FR drivers may not notice this much because they are always keeping their car in check and adjust grip levels, but as a heavy AWD driver, I notice the redution in front end grip a lot.

It seems like a ton of grip has been lost and the tyre wear indicator has just started to show wear.

For example driving a veryon or GTR I notice after just 1 LAP corners I could make normally the previous lap, I now just under-steer heavily and plow into the wall.

Heck In real life have pushed my car to the tyres limits for hours on end on many occasions and the tyres still just gradually wear, as in last a YEAR + not a few minutes, and my car is pretty heavy.

According to Gt5 one spirited driving to somewhere 10km/6miles away should mean your tires are made of popsicles when you get there.

In Gt5 I go around a track for 5 minutes just pushing hard for a fast lap and the grip is gone. It takes almost that long to go thorough a set in real life if you tried your hardest and just sit there doing one long non stop burnout!

I actually want to sticky this because it is a great real world example.

Good point 👍

Slicks wear very quick compared to road tires , a normal road tire in real life can last a few years when used on normal roads because your not really going fast enough to wear it but in a track it can last probably few days but the performance difference is also huge.

In F1 , in a track like monaco , supersofts last for 5 laps.

in GT5 , the soft tires can last 15 laps easy in cote d'azur and the wear is the same as the other compounds so the racing tires or slick tires actually have very low wear rate , when you use gt5's soft tires it's like having the wear rate of a hard compound but grip of a supersoft compound.

in numbers its like

In GT5 there are no differences in wear but in reality , softer generally means more wear due to more surface area of the tire being compressed to the road and harder means less wear due to less surface area of the tire being compressed on the road.

Obviously your suspension settings can make your wear more. In reality the difference of having a low wear suspension setting and a high wear suspension setting is up to maybe 30% but there's a difference in lap times too. Most people I know would setup for the car to understeer and that will increase the wear but the difference in lap times are not much from a neutral setting but less understeer will always gain more advantage in less wear and faster lap times.

but in gt5 , at least comforts . sports and racing have a difference in wear.

I just hope they make the tires much less expensive but needs replacements

like when they wear you need to buy new ones , or more sets.

Last edited:
Of course it's not right, and yes, it is accelerated.

But does it matter? If it was set to hyper-realism would GT5 be that much more different?

I only say this because I am currently involved in the 4 HR 'Ring endurance race, and while I am no expert, I feel that GT5 does an admirable job at simulating the pit stop.

3 hours into the race, and using Racing Hard tires, I find myself pitting after 6 laps of hard Green Hell racing. Seems good to me. But if someone can provide data on the pit strategy for the real race, I would love to be educated.

Of course it's not right, and yes, it is accelerated.

But does it matter? If it was set to hyper-realism would GT5 be that much more different?

I only say this because I am currently involved in the 4 HR 'Ring endurance race, and while I am no expert, I feel that GT5 does an admirable job at simulating the pit stop.

3 hours into the race, and using Racing Hard tires, I find myself pitting after 6 laps of hard Green Hell racing. Seems good to me. But if someone can provide data on the pit strategy for the real race, I would love to be educated.
Sorry but in GT5 right now , hards , mediums and softs have the same wear rate.

Only comforts , sports and racing make the difference in wear.

I can confirm few months ago for online , don't know now.

Last edited:

If memory serves... In the 24 hour race, on the longer track, most of the top runners(roughly = GT3 cars, like the R8 LMS) seem to go about 7-8 laps at a time. I don't know if those are the hardest tires they can run or not. Then again, they are pitting for fuel as much as for tires. The Porsche hybrid was able to do 9 laps. I can't say for the shorter VLN races, but you could probably add a lap to that.

I don't recall usually seeing much drop-off in the last few laps, but my memory isn't reliable enough to put much stock in that. It's also an impossibilty to get a traffic-free lap in the real race. You can be sure that softs wouldn't last more than a couple of laps.

Favorite race of the year, live and free on the web. Pray they never stop.

You're wrong.

....?

Did you even ready what I said? When did I say bald? In fact, I specifically said that a street tires grip drop dramatically as soon as cord shows...

What I'm saying is that a street tire with it's tread at or slightly below the legal depth limit, will grip better than a new tire even after it's break-in period.

The tire doesn't act like it does in the game. In the game the tire starts with low grip, heats up quickly and gains a bunch of grip, then slowly looses grip until the tire is gone.

In real life the tire starts with low grip, heats up quickly and gains a bunch of grip, then slowly increases it's (dry) grip until it reaches a point (well past the legal limit) where the tire looses grip very fast.

F1 tyres are purpose made by Pirelli to degrade quickly (for more interesting racing within the 60ish laps of a race), not to mention the massive forces F1 cars put through the rubber. If you put them on a road car you would really struggle to wear them out because they'd hardly get warm.

The X2010 in GT5 (as mentioned above), driven like a mad bat, will go 50 miles on racing softs, when road cars would struggle to do half that.

There really is no defending the tyre wear model in GT5...

Trying to explain facts or reason with GT fans is like pulling teeth from a shark...not going to happen all that well.

In a high-power 2WD car using sports tyres, you can't even complete 2/3 of a lap of the Nurburgring 24hr track, without losing half your grip. And yes, that includes care on the throttle - but with rabid GT-R's to compete with, you can't exactly cruise.

The RS life > RH is totally ridiculous too. Everyone puts RS on everything and ruins an otherwise good simulator. People run 400pp races without tyre regulations - wtf??

IMO, we should be able to set tyre depletion rate to fast / medium / slow / real.

Also, slightly OT: Cars with racing tyres on them should be classed differently (not road cars), since they aren't road legal.

I agree with everything you had to say there.. I hate when you have a tail happy car and your racing a car such as the R35.. you can only doctor it out of the turns SOO much.. :dunce:

Sorry but in GT5 right now , hards , mediums and softs have the same wear rate.

Only comforts , sports and racing make the difference in wear.

I can confirm few months ago for online , don't know now.

I have never tested that, but truth be told, it doesn't really matter. I am using the Racing Hard tires because everything after that has to much grip for my tastes.

If memory serves... In the 24 hour race, on the longer track, most of the top runners(roughly = GT3 cars, like the R8 LMS) seem to go about 7-8 laps at a time. I don't know if those are the hardest tires they can run or not. Then again, they are pitting for fuel as much as for tires. The Porsche hybrid was able to do 9 laps. I can't say for the shorter VLN races, but you could probably add a lap to that.

I don't recall usually seeing much drop-off in the last few laps, but my memory isn't reliable enough to put much stock in that. It's also an impossibilty to get a traffic-free lap in the real race. You can be sure that softs wouldn't last more than a couple of laps.

Well, if that is indeed the case, I say that GT5 does an excellent job in that regard. I am running one of the DLC Touring Cars for that race, and not one of those LMS beasts!

I am very curious to see what Kaz and his team had to do at the recent 24 HR race at the 'Ring.

Something tells me that 6-8 laps is very accurate.

I always thought that my tires wore so fast because I was a bad driver. While that still may be the case, at least I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

Example.
I race in what is called the 24 hours of lemons. Rules $500usd max budget INCLUDING buying the car. Excluding safety equipment obviously.
I raced on the softest and best tires I have EVER had the pleasure of spinning and we got an entire race out of them PLUS we CONTINUED TO USE THEM in the next race, but only for ANOTHER 6 HOURS!!!
This is flat out, non stop, tires SCREAMING, SMOKING, and BURNING for 30 hours on one set. In gt5 that's the equivalent of doing the Nürmberg 24 hour on half a set of tires.

Even more food for thought.
The car is a cut up and modded (in true lemons style) lincoln mark VIII. It is crazy fast (130mph on a decent straight) and handles like a rail car. The car is by no means going to be any easier on tires than a rx7, supra, mustang, camaro, ANYTHING!

To remain optimistic here; gt5 is very pretty.

Well, if that is indeed the case, I say that GT5 does an excellent job in that regard. I am running one of the DLC Touring Cars for that race, and not one of those LMS beasts!

I am very curious to see what Kaz and his team had to do at the recent 24 HR race at the 'Ring.

Something tells me that 6-8 laps is very accurate.

R8 LMS: The one you win from the 4hr, and the fastest overall AI opponent in the race.

Not to be confused with the other Audi R8s which are LMP prototype cars. Silly Audi naming department.

The faster DLC cars are probably roughly equivalent(maybe a little slower) to the R8 LMS. Someone else surely knows better how they compare.

The GT5 tires don't last near as long as the real ones. I think all compounds last whatever PD decided "medium" should be, assuming you never slide at all.

It really doesn't affect anything except sim accuracy. The different compounds SHOULD last longer/shorter, but that is another dead horse.

They should have a selection for fuel/tire wear. That way you can run shorter races with pit stops. I did the 300km Grand Valley endurance today, and I could have probably went with only one pit stop if I was conservative. I did 22 laps before I pit and let a friend take over. He ended up only making it 12 laps, pit for new tires and then those he was able to treat a little better.

Now that seemed ok for the a-spec endurance, but what about online... I would like to run some races with multiple pit stops, but not have to have 60 laps in order to do it. Make it so I can set an exaggerated tire wear/fuel consumption to get in a multiple pit race in just 20 to 30 laps...

They should have a selection for fuel/tire wear. That way you can run shorter races with pit stops.

Better yet there should be a much larger selection of tires (and brands preferably) from which to choose, with different grip and wear characteristics.

And fuel use should be adjustable via tuning options.

Better yet there should be a much larger selection of tires (and brands preferably) from which to choose, with different grip and wear characteristics.

And fuel use should be adjustable via tuning options.

Sounds like more hoops for PD, and whats to stop them making one tire company better than the rest if they sweeten the price for PD. Sounds good but my main worry is getting licensing from the major guys like Michellin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, Dunlop and Falken etc.

Sounds like more hoops for PD, and whats to stop them making one tire company better than the rest if they sweeten the price for PD. Sounds good but my main worry is getting licensing from the major guys like Michellin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, Dunlop and Falken etc.

It can be done with or without, brand recognition.

With, just adds an extra element of realism.

As to sweetening the deal, there's nothing to stop it I guess.
Thats a certain amount of realism too. :)

Lol, thread is full of laughs. You people complain about tire wear, fact is many of you drive hard every lap and then complain about tire wear. In GT5 how you stress your tires directly impacts tire life, while there are some oddities in RH-RS tire wear, I still can drive around with reasonable lap times and get about 18 laps on Fuji on RS in a Super GT car. Mind you I am not driving all balls to the wall, screeching my tires on every turn or braking late...you guys are trying to compare your digital driving to real life driving. Look when you are playing a game you will drive and push the car well beyond the limits you would ever try in real life. So if you factor in lack of fear plus realistic tire wear would equal you guys tearing your tires asunder.

Regardless of the flaws the game has, the biggest flaw is the human input. I guarantee if you drove your car much smoother and didn't late brake into every corner and punish the tires to their limits the entire time you would notice that tire wear isn't much of an issue. Learn to drive, before you can learn to race effectively. You guys haven't wondered why PD haven't changed the rate of tire degradation, it's because it based on how you drive not the degradation calculations. You guys basically want them to change the tire degradation formula to match your fearless driving style...how would that make sense?

I'm wondering if any of you are actually drawing the connection between your lack of fear playing the game and how quickly you wear your tires down...I'm guessing not not many of you actually draw the connection based on the comment complaining about it. Just like the vast majority of people online don't know that cold tires have less grip and degrade at an accelerated rate if you slide around before you get them up to temperature.

Nascar racing tires doesn't last for 6-30 hours. I don't know if they are design to wear faster but these tires are so soft you will be wearing them after leaving a Nascar race.
http://www.nascar.com/news/features/tires/index.html
Tire.Comparison.jpg

I think he was referring to the more a street tire wears the less the tire will be spongy around the corners as well will soften up some (less tread) so to give you a little better traction on dry pavement.

Most road tires will suffer from tread squirm. It is really bad in siped tires, or tires with large tread voids (like mud tires). As the tread wears down you get less squirm and better turn-in and lateral traction, but on normal tires and especially performance tires the difference is small.

In real life, even tyres that are close to completely bald, don't suffer such a huge reduction in grip compared to when they were newer.

In GT5, the grip when they are almost completely worn is astronomically, impossibly low, like driving on ice.

....?

Did you even ready what I said? When did I say bald? In fact, I specifically said that a street tires grip drop dramatically as soon as cord shows...

What I'm saying is that a street tire with it's tread at or slightly below the legal depth limit, will grip better than a new tire even after it's break-in period.

The tire doesn't act like it does in the game. In the game the tire starts with low grip, heats up quickly and gains a bunch of grip, then slowly looses grip until the tire is gone.

In real life the tire starts with low grip, heats up quickly and gains a bunch of grip, then slowly increases it's (dry) grip until it reaches a point (well past the legal limit) where the tire looses grip very fast.

Discounting squirm, when a tire gets close to bald the tire looses some grip. It has gone through many heat cycles and it has been exposed to weather, chemicals, heat, cold, etc, which cause the rubber compound in the tread to be less effective. Even over the course of just several months. Also, most performance tires have different rubber compounds in the tire. When the tire is almost bald you are no longer using the grippier tread compound, but a harder compound uses to hold the tread and help stabilize/support the tire. You might have an increase in the contact patch and less squirm but that does overcome the loss in traction due to the degradation to the tire cause by heat cycles, the environment and the poor traction of the rubber below the tread. Really cheap tires might use the same compound throughout the tire, but those shred apart on the track.

In real life a tire will start with decent grip, quickly increase in grip, then slowly loose a little grip while it wears then drop off dramatically at the end. GT5 does this but it is hugely accelerated. We saw this happen over the course of a race season, not over a single race like in GT5. But, in Formula 1 you have exactly the same as in GT5. Pirelli deliberately engineered the tires to do this, but it was that same for the Bridgestones. You would heat the tires on your out lap, the tires then had their best grip for 1 or 2 laps then would slowly degrade until warn where they would have a huge drop off in grip.

I do not feel any cold tire in GT5 but I can feel a bit maybe 5% loss of grip.

the soft tires in gt5 have grip of supersoft and wear of hard compound.

In Cote D'azur online soft compounds last 15-20 laps easy and the grip is probably supersoft grip but the physics are arcade right now.

In real life supersofts will last 5 laps in monaco so the wearing is terrible in gt5 because it lasts well over 2+x or 200+% longer and in GT5 with the soft tires you have supersoft grip and yet the wear is hard compound so the whole combination is no good just bad because there are no stop strategy without the real tire compound wear rate.

Last edited:
SavageEvil
Lol, thread is full of laughs. You people complain about tire wear, fact is many of you drive hard every lap and then complain about tire wear. In GT5 how you stress your tires directly impacts tire life, while there are some oddities in RH-RS tire wear, I still can drive around with reasonable lap times and get about 18 laps on Fuji on RS in a Super GT car. Mind you I am not driving all balls to the wall, screeching my tires on every turn or braking late...you guys are trying to compare your digital driving to real life driving. Look when you are playing a game you will drive and push the car well beyond the limits you would ever try in real life. So if you factor in lack of fear plus realistic tire wear would equal you guys tearing your tires asunder.

Regardless of the flaws the game has, the biggest flaw is the human input. I guarantee if you drove your car much smoother and didn't late brake into every corner and punish the tires to their limits the entire time you would notice that tire wear isn't much of an issue. Learn to drive, before you can learn to race effectively. You guys haven't wondered why PD haven't changed the rate of tire degradation, it's because it based on how you drive not the degradation calculations. You guys basically want them to change the tire degradation formula to match your fearless driving style...how would that make sense?

I'm wondering if any of you are actually drawing the connection between your lack of fear playing the game and how quickly you wear your tires down...I'm guessing not not many of you actually draw the connection based on the comment complaining about it. Just like the vast majority of people online don't know that cold tires have less grip and degrade at an accelerated rate if you slide around before you get them up to temperature.

I don't mean to come off like a jerk or anything. Just text making things harsher read than said, but did you read what I said about the tires on our lincoln? I can tell you that, without a doubt, everyone on our team drove to the max.

This can lead to the argument it was the diver's max and not the car's max. This is irrelevant. A better driver can drive smoother and get closer to the max of the car than a lesser driver could and is pushing the tires to the limit. The lesser driver can run at their max sliding everywhere, taking bad lines, ect. and just horribly abuse them because they are beyond the tires limits. I do agree better drivers's tires will last longer, buy ONLY if they drive easily.

Our tires lasted amazingly long. We had 1 horrible driver (wasn't known till we took an in car video), 2 decent ones, 2 good ones, and that one guy that just makes you feel bad when you watch him drive (he's amazing). We all drove as hard as we could for the entire 24 and I know I did. In gt5 I might slide off 2-4 times a day in search of those .1's and in the race I slid off twice doing the same. Just like everyone else on the team.

I just don't see why PD chose to do it this way, but then again I'm not paid to develope games. Than again, game developers aren't paid to race so I think we could call it a day. Just find the middle man and blame him.

I don't mean to come off like a jerk or anything. Just text making things harsher read than said, but did you read what I said about the tires on our lincoln? I can tell you that, without a doubt, everyone on our team drove to the max.

This can lead to the argument it was the diver's max and not the car's max. This is irrelevant. A better driver can drive smoother and get closer to the max of the car than a lesser driver could and is pushing the tires to the limit. The lesser driver can run at their max sliding everywhere, taking bad lines, ect. and just horribly abuse them because they are beyond the tires limits. I do agree better drivers's tires will last longer, buy ONLY if they drive easily.

Our tires lasted amazingly long. We had 1 horrible driver (wasn't known till we took an in car video), 2 decent ones, 2 good ones, and that one guy that just makes you feel bad when you watch him drive (he's amazing). We all drove as hard as we could for the entire 24 and I know I did. In gt5 I might slide off 2-4 times a day in search of those .1's and in the race I slid off twice doing the same. Just like everyone else on the team.

I just don't see why PD chose to do it this way, but then again I'm not paid to develope games. Than again, game developers aren't paid to race so I think we could call it a day. Just find the middle man and blame him.

Agree, I think people need to start realising, as has been pointed out some racing series have purpose built tyres DESIGNED TO WEAR QUICKLY. This should not be the case for GT5 as they have just a single type of tyre for all cars in the game.

Also someone mentioned weather chemicals, heat cycles age gets to the tyres lol yes even more reason why tyres should Still have a lot of grip as they wear because the tyres in gt5 are minutes old not years

I would be ok with gt5 if as tyres wear they dont loose tht amount of grip!

For example a tyre that is 50% worn should not have 50% grip !! This is how it is in Gt5 at the moment.

IF you try to drive around in tyres that have 50% of the bar gone in Gt5 they don't even behave like they are made of rubber any more, I think driving on rims alone would have the same amount of grip.

It is STILL RUBBBER!

Watch the episode where myth busters drove on rims, they still had a fair amount of grip lol bout the same as having 70% wear on gt5

IMO, part of the problem here is designation.

Although tire wear is involved, racing is really more an equation of grip level deterioration than physical wear,
and this should be the true designation of the wear meter.

This should equate to an approximate 50% grip reduction from new to worn out,
not your tires froze into ice and the car is completely undrivable as it is now, when the tire wear indicator runs out.

An additional red zone could kick in at that point, and further reduce grip another 25% if you keep driving on them.

This type arrangement would be much better and realistic.

Wait how did you all of a sudden figure out how much grip the tires in the game has when it reaches a certain amount of wear? I would really like to hear this one, as it is now tire grip is lost gradually but I have found no proof that 50% worn tires equates to 50% tire grip, that's stupid, grip and wear do not go hand in hand at all. All I know is the more worn the tires are the more delicate you have to be with throttle until you get to maximum grip and up to speed. I have driven on tires that were probably 20% and was able to still drive the car but my braking distances were greater and I had to keep the car smoothly transitioning from brake to throttle. Not sure where you guys are coming up with this stuff, but I notice that GT5 simulates each tire separately I have watched the tire that gets the most stress get worn much more quickly than the rest. While people in here can think GT5 tire model is simple, flawed or what have you, it could have been much worse. GT5 doesn't simulate tire destruction which is what having an empty tire indicator would mean, but in GT5 this means bald tires with very little grip. I'm pretty sure that race tires get their grip from being able to hold temperatures that allow the tire to perform it's best, when the tire loses it's ability to hold the correct temp then you would suffer grip loss. This loss of temperature control contributes greatly to wear as inefficient heat dissipation can lead to damage and picking up of road debris.

You guys expecting perfect tire simulation? Lol not even in real life do you get such a thing, too many variables to get that. GT5 does however give you air temperature which affects tire heat, colder temps like when it's about to rain tends to make tires take quite a while to heat up. I'll go around driving to test the grip loss numbers you guys are throwing out, I for one can't equate 50% tire life to 50% tire grip.

Back