Is using the driving line bad

  • Thread starter Thread starter davepiredda
  • 39 comments
  • 2,309 views
No, it isn't. Ignore the arrogant idiots online who say "omg ur a n00b xD!!!!!!!111!1one!!!!oneone!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!". Having the driving line on or off is your choice.

CONCLUSION:


  • Using the driving line while learning a track is good. 👍

  • Using the driving line because you have problems with a track is good. 👍

  • Using the driving line for any other reason gives you bad habits. 👎
Just a piece of advice. Hope this helped. :cheers:

~GT5Power
 
Last edited:
The good thing about the line is it can show if you approaching a corner incorrectly, especially in consecutive multiple corners. The bad thing can be breaking the habit. If you use it all the time, it's dang near panic-inducing without it (the only answer for this is practice!). Once you never use it, it's presence can be the most annoying thing you've ever seen :lol:
 
I think it's good to use if you're playing games like GT for the first time ever. But from what I've witnessed, some beginners just outright ignore the driving line and don't even attempt to follow it. :ouch:
 
I have mixed feeling about the driving line as it has it's uses but I don't think that it represents either the best line or braking points around the track. We all have our own style and so one man's meat will be another's poison and for me the driving line can be a bit poisonous.

That said I have used the driving line on a brand new circuit that I have never seen before but only for one or two laps. I turn it off as soon as I can so that I'm forced to learn how to drive the circuit to suit my style and where my braking points are.

IMO the best way to learn any track is to drive it LOTS and learn from your mistakes (without driving line on) :)
 
No. It's not bad BUT, as it's said in the description of it, it shows a line which isn't ALWAYS the best/fastest, different cars, different driving styles mean different lines. This might help to understand better:

 
This is all opinion based. Find whats best for you.
 
I recommend using driving line only briefly on new tracks. While it is on, look for other reference points. Do not focus on the driving line, just use for general car positioning.

The flaw with using the driving line is that your eyes aren't looking far enough down the track. Getting your eyes up will make you much faster than relying on looking at those little dashes right in front of the car. It is pretty easy to see those in online rooms who are using driving line. They are the ones running everyone over in turn one because instead of watching the car in front of them they were looking down at the track. And, when following one of them, just wait a few corners and they are bound to miss an apex and open up an inside passing lane.

I agree, but for some reason, on games, I have a really really hard time picking the points coming out of corners. Ive had my car on several race tracks, been to the bounderaunt driving school, a friend of mine instructs there, and have no problem learning those tracks in a few laps in my car and start pushing hard. I can run a track 50 times on here or Forza and still have trouble picking my points as I come outta corners, maybe its just me, but it lacks a huge amount of depth for me to get it right.
 
Last edited:
The good thing about the line is it can show if you approaching a corner incorrectly, especially in consecutive multiple corners.
With the caveat that the one thing the driving line does particularly badly is taking you through multiple linked corners. That and overly conservative braking points (sometimes) are its two main faults.

To the original question, it's not bad as a training aid to help you learn the lines around tracks, as long as you recognize its shortcomings and learn to work around them. The biggest pitfall you can run into is becoming depending on the line to set your braking points. When you get comfortable enough driving the fast line on the track (the real fast line, not the line the driving line tells you to drive), trying turning the driving line off and learn to set your braking points by actual landmarks.
 
Last edited:
I use it quite often, even if I don't follow it, I still use certain parts of the line as gauging points, or even a comparative trajectory path for the car.
 
I never use the driving line but if I'm new to a track I usually use it for guidance then after a couple laps I use my own driving line because the driving line they are providing you is default like everybody uses it but if you create your own you will shave your time.
 
Back