Is your car simulated well in GT5P?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KSaiyu
  • 62 comments
  • 5,705 views

KSaiyu

(Banned)
Messages
2,822
Just want to know as people are getting to grips with Prologue what people think of cars they have experience with in real life as simulated in the game. What with professional physics and the option to take off ABS it'd be interesting to hear some opinions on how well (or badly) they're represented.

The reason I started this is because I have to admit I have my doubts.... My car in GT4 felt and sounded nothing like it does in real life, but I'm first to acknowledge the physics model has improved considerably since then as opposed to previous editions. The other problem I have is with one car (I have the JP version, waiting for the NA now): the BMW 135i. From all road tests I've read and from the report I saw on Fifth Gear, the BMW doesn't handle at all like it does in the game. Oversteer is supposedly hard to initiate in the real life car, and drifts that are possible in the game seemed virtually impossible to do (as driven by Tiff Needel if I remember right).

While this could be just an oversight on one car, I'd like to see comparisons between real world experience and simulation.
 
Very interesting topic.

I know of the review you speak of (Fifth Gear). Tiff had a hell of a time keeping it sideways. This brings up an interesting possibility. Take real world reviews (Fifth Gear/Top Gear/Car and Driver/Automobile) and test how applicable they are in the physics of GT5:P.



;)
 
I own a '94 Camaro. I won't know how well the interior and handling is done until GT5 comes out, provided they have one. In every prior GT game they've had at least one f-body so this *should* be no exception. I hope. :)
 
The Lexus IS F is very oversteery, and on Fifth Gear when Tiff drove it he said he had trouble keeping it from oversteering. It's just like that in the game, when I thought it was too oversteery.
 
About the 135i, the reason Tiff probably couldn't keep it sideways is cos the real life car has an open rear diff with EBD that applies the brakes to simulate an LSD. In real life, you'd have a real problem holding a drift without a proper LSD. That's why the M3 is such a born drifter. It's got the M-Diff. I think a 1 series with a proper LSD would be able to do the same.

Which brings me to my next point. I've always wondered whether GT accurately simulates the electronic stability aids the real cars have (AYS, ATESSA, etc). I'm guessing it does to some extent because GT4 had an AYC controller. And the new GT-R in GT5P is so twitchy on the throttle because the real life car sends all power to the rear first, and only to the fronts when there's a loss of traction.

Most of us hardcore players switch off all aids, but I wonder if what we drive in the game is the equivalent of taking all the aids off their real life counterparts.
 
G.T
The Lexus IS F is very oversteery, and on Fifth Gear when Tiff drove it he said he had trouble keeping it from oversteering. It's just like that in the game, when I thought it was too oversteery.

Another thing about the IS F is the dash...my mates dad has one and in real life when you reach 70 MPH the dails go orange to tell you that you have reached the maximum speed limit, and when you reach 100 MPH the dash goes red to tell you that if you get caught you will face an instant ban.

But in the game it stays blue the whole time, regardless of your speed. Minor details I know, but just thought Id throw it in.
 
I'll have to buy me a Mini Cooper S in the game as that's the only car i've driven in real life that's modelled in the game. Incidentally, I drove it on a race circuit too so it should be interesting to compare. The one in GT4 wasn't bad as far as handling and sound went, but I drive a Ford Fiesta in real life and the Ford Ka (same engine and chassis) in GT4 wasn't particularly close in either sound or handling.

The physics model in GT5P definitely seems much, much better than GT4.
 
I own the 08 (USDM, bigger 2.5 motor, lower rev limit) STi and its dynamics are realistic. The sound is better than GT4, but is only par for the sim course. Very happy in general with the STi :)
 
Another thing about the IS F is the dash...my mates dad has one and in real life when you reach 70 MPH the dails go orange to tell you that you have reached the maximum speed limit, and when you reach 100 MPH the dash goes red to tell you that if you get caught you will face an instant ban.

But in the game it stays blue the whole time, regardless of your speed. Minor details I know, but just thought Id throw it in.

All of which would only be applicable in the UK, if the GT5:P IS-F is modelled on a Japanese spec car then it could well be correct.

Simply judging accuracy based on what a car does in a single market is not a good way to do this. Take cars that have rear spoilers that automatically lift, most are designed to do this at around 75mph, however a number of companies change that to 50-55mph for the UK market.

I would suggest we avoid small details like this for the thread, as they are subject to changes from market to market.

In regard to the topic, my car is not in GT5:P, but a few that I have driven that are in it are on thw whole very well modelled. Those would include the ITR, Mini, Cappachino and Clio V6; all of which closely match my own experiences.

Regards

Scaff
 
Evo 9 here. The handling is very good. Although in real life very little steering input is needed to change directions. but as for the handling dynamic and chasis limits they do a very good job with my cars digital representation... The sound on the other hand is off, and the Tuned version sounds terrible.
 
Evo 9 here. The handling is very good. Although in real life very little steering input is needed to change directions. but as for the handling dynamic and chasis limits they do a very good job with my cars digital representation... The sound on the other hand is off, and the Tuned version sounds terrible.

I have driven an evo in AutoX and the dynamics seems really close to the evo9 in gt5P, specifically when driving in the London Track.
 
I am fortunate enough to have driven a Ferarri F430 for 5 laps on a UK Track (Thruxton)

Whilst I wasn't pushing it all that hard (although it was hard enough), and the real car had all the driver aids on.. The GT5P interpretation of it seems very accurate and realistic.

Jon
 
I have a friend who drives a Racing Spec M3 "track only" car and he tells me the handling is spot on, especially regarding drifting.
 
I have the M3 Coupe 2007. Can't tell a lot about track handling because I'm still in break-in-mode of the engine, but the SOUND of the engine sucks big time. I don't know why Polyphony never gets the engine sounds right....
 
I haven't had a chance to give GT5:P a go, but I have given the JPN demo a try and from what I've experienced first-hand the IS-F exhaust note isn't that "similar".

In real life the IS-F sounds like a badass muscle car when you give it the gas, but in the game it sounds like a V8 at low revs but the higher you rev it in the game it sounds crappier and crappier. PD still hasn't nailed the car sounds in my opinion and it's very disappointing.

I wasn't able to track the car or anything along those lines so I can't really speak for its handling in comparison to the game.
 
I have had the privilage of driveing a caterham around a track in anger, for me GT5p feels nothing at all like driving/racing in real life.

the cars in general feel like they have pogo sticks for suspension, theres also no feel for the grip, theres no real sensation of the tires pulling at the road surface, it just feels like your on ice.

In real life its far easyier to maintain a consistant raceing line lap after lap, in GT5p the cars are so irratic and unstable your racing lines are all over the place, and not very consistant.

I just dont get that feeling of control in GT5p that i do IRL.
 
Tell that to James May who needed Jackie Stewart to be sat next to him instructing him before he got even remotely good lines round a track. And May drives cars for a living.
 
I have had the privilage of driveing a caterham around a track in anger, for me GT5p feels nothing at all like driving/racing in real life.

the cars in general feel like they have pogo sticks for suspension,
Hate to break it to you, but most road cars when driven hard on the track in real life feel very, very soft. Something like a Caterham (and I've driven a few in my time) do feel very different when driven hard on the road or track, but they are not your typical road car. Road cars are designed for comfort first and foremost, the vast majority don't feel settled on a track at all.


theres also no feel for the grip, theres no real sensation of the tires pulling at the road surface, it just feels like your on ice.
What are you using as a controller? If its a pad then this is no big surprise at all, its a totally different beast, even a wheel (and even the best of these) is still no substitute for the degree of feel you get in the real world. No racing sim I have ever tried feels connected in the way you should to a car in reality. Its unfortunately never going to happen.


In real life its far easyier to maintain a consistant raceing line lap after lap, in GT5p the cars are so irratic and unstable your racing lines are all over the place, and not very consistant.

I just dont get that feeling of control in GT5p that i do IRL.
Again its far harder to be consistent in a sim that it is with a real car, visual cues are different, feel, etc all work in different ways.

With any sim its an area of compromise and it takes a while to adapt, with reduced with a wheel, any tiny movement you make it transferred to the car in a sim. Movements that may not cause a problem in a real car.

I'm not just saying this about GT5:P, rather as a general series of observation in regard to any and all sims I have played, from GTL, Enthusia, Richard Burns Rally, Live for Speed, etc.


Regards

Scaff
 
I had an 05 US Elise up until 6 months ago and I feel like they got it close in the game, but its not perfect. The normal mode felt the most real of the two, but I would have thought simulation would be the way to go for realism, which it is not. In simulation it is like the car has 300 hp, completely wrong. The amount of throttle feathering isnt realistic, the car has such low torque that you can hammer down on the power and no way no how break the tires, which is much to simple to do in simulation. So I choose to play arcade for that car, which is a bit of a shame, although I just downloaded the spec 2 so I havent tried to do any tweaks to the car to make it behave more realistic, so there may be hope yet.
 
I hope they include my A3 1.8T in the full GT5, so I can tinker with it :) I have 200hp in mine, but I'll go as far as possible in the game and try out different suspensions. I hope to god they get it right.
 
Going back to the sound. I really think they got the sound good. I think its the sound system you guys are pluging it to. I also thought it was not that good before i pluged it to the bose. Big differnce. The best way to hear the sound is to put it into the last gear and listen. You go through each RPM. The depth of each cars is very impresive. From the deep engine noise to the turbos.
 
So far I ownd only two cars. I use to drive a 1994 XJ/40 , and now i drive the 1995 C280. None of these cars are in Gran Turismo 4 or and 5 as for now. Since these cars are not sports cars I don't think they will be in GT games. So I don't know how this games comes to life. :(
 
Very interesting topic.

I know of the review you speak of (Fifth Gear). Tiff had a hell of a time keeping it sideways. This brings up an interesting possibility. Take real world reviews (Fifth Gear/Top Gear/Car and Driver/Automobile) and test how applicable they are in the physics of GT5:P.



;)

Thanks, I thought it seemed weird how the car felt different to how it looked with a professional driver attempting to intentionally bring the rear out on a track. I'm wondering if it is to do with the open differential not being simulated as someone mentioned in a post, seeing as there are quite a few good responses on the simulations of other cars.
 
The game can't even simulate the correct steering ratio especially with any 900deg steering. May be one can compare the interior in GT5P, but basically thats it.
 
Well, I guess I have to say that my experience is with GT4, GTHD, and the GT5P Demo only at this point.

But, in GT4 I happen to either currently own, or have previously owned, several of the models in the game or very close approximations. I currently own both models of Prius, and a Classic VW bug (lightly "tuned"), and previously owned an early 70's Chevelle.

At least in GT4, it would appear that they get some cars very close to correct, and other cars way way off. On both Prius models they got the handling pretty close (but failed to include the correct power figures). Generally just a typical family car in terms of handling. For the Chevelle, things are again fairly close, but I didn't have nearly the tire-spin issues with the real-life chevelle as I do with the one in the game. And back then I always had cheap tires.

I also had a 1964 Chevy panel truck one-off custom hot-rod with around 475 horses, a corvette clutch system, and a 4-speed from a 69 GTO. This had a very low 4.11 rear end and an open diff. 0-100 in 10 seconds flat (this is very fast for a truck with a heavy frame and a heavy marine-plywood bed). If I wanted to, I could rip the rears tires off through the first three gears no problem. BUT, if I used just the tiny bit of care just getting off the line, I got zero tire spin. I had slightly wide tires, but that is it in terms of traction enhancement. Nothing like the amount of tire-spin a similarly power car on N3s will give you in GT4. I expect, however, that if GT4 did have a similar car they would have gotten the handling correct (terrifyingly poor! :-)

So I've never been convinced that they have the whole tire-spin issue correct, because in my experience you get "burn out" in GT4 way too easily (and I spend a lot of time in those machines with the pedal to the floor...)

But, in the case of classic VWs they have it completely wrong. I've had classic rear-engined air cooled VWs for all of my driving life and driven them in all conditions. I've had regular bugs and supers, old swing-axels and the newer "IRS" models. Two of them have been slightly "tuned" for modest power gains (it only takes a tiny bit of extra juice to bring out some fun performance as these things are very light). My current '68 simply has a larger '69 motor in it with a couple tiny tweaks, for about 15% more power than stock.

Never, ever, would you find a VW handling with in the absurd (nearly undriveable at any speed) way they handle in GT4. Could you imagine the tens of thousands of deaths that would have been caused had these cars wobbled and spun so easily normal driving speeds? I mean, take the 68' Ghia (same suspension, and layout as the bug, but should have slightly better handling due to a lower center of gravity), and take her around ring. Wrong wrong wrong in too many ways to count...

So, at least in GT4 they can certainly get it right if they want, but they can also make a fine mess of it on occasion.
 
The game can't even simulate the correct steering ratio especially with any 900deg steering. May be one can compare the interior in GT5P, but basically thats it.

Not every car Uses 900 Degree turns, The old Jag that I use to own only had about 750-800 degree steering LOL .. It was like driving a cow
 
Not every car Uses 900 Degree turns, The old Jag that I use to own only had about 750-800 degree steering LOL .. It was like driving a cow

Hmmm, I'll have to drive a cow one day.

But seriously, I agree that you do get wheelspin too easily sometimes but just change the tires!

Uhm, the RX-7 handles pretty similar. The Mk4 Golf GTi seems pretty close, the Integra Type-R feels really close, the Mustang etc.

Overall I'm happy!
 
I'm still waiting for Polyphony to actually put one of my cars in the game. I have a chance with the full GT5, since I own a Mazda3 now.
 
I was under the impression that the steering ratio and maximum lock (albeit, not the physical DFP's lock) changed from car to car in GT4 - is this not the case anymore?
 
Back