Is your car simulated well in GT5P?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KSaiyu
  • 62 comments
  • 5,705 views
If I was Kimi Raikkonen I would say that my car is definately not right, the F2007 is way too fast in a straight line. It should be doing 320 max with 80/130ish downforce not around 340.
 
350z handles very similar but mine didn't stay stock for long. Would have to try it on full GT5 so I can install coilovers and lower the car, as well as install a better LSD and a stage 1 turbo or something. :)
 
I got a WRX and it seams to be pretty close, although I havent pushed the WRX supper hard you can fell the understeer setting in. Just like the game a over all well ballanced car just a bit on the tight side. My other car a 91 mustang has sadly never been put in to any game let alone GT. That would make my day to see a foxbody mustang in GT5 :sly: that car on the stock suspension I've pushed very hard, now that its been "tuned" it just gose straite really fast but meh thats still fun.
 
Well I wanted stress the phrase "Steering Ratio" as in 16:1 not "Wheel turning angle" as in 2.9 turn Lock-to-Lock.

See this post if you want more info:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2966356&postcount=19

Ahh that one! 👍

Yeah I know what you mean exactly now.

Even if GT has it wrong to simulate the Steering ration, I don't think we need it for Gran Turismo: Park your Nissan Simulator. Since all we pretty much do is racing..

But who knows, maybe in GT5 full game, the Ratio will be more accurate? and the option will be less then 30 ;)
 
I don't know why Polyphony never gets the engine sounds right....

I disagree, the engine sounds in past games have been a bit off sometimes, but in GT5 they're largely pretty good, as long as you play them through decent speakers. Of course it'll be difficult to exactly replicate the sounds, because you can't replicate the sound of the resonance inside the car, the 3D sound of the engine in one place, even the location of the air filter, and the exhaust(s), and the closeness and loudness of an actual car.

In real life its far easyier to maintain a consistant raceing line lap after lap, in GT5p the cars are so irratic and unstable your racing lines are all over the place, and not very consistant.

I just dont get that feeling of control in GT5p that i do IRL.

I agree with the first part, I often thought on GT4 that doing the slalom licence tests for example would be much easier in real life with a sense of spatial awareness of the barriers, and having driven on a race circuit and had multiple lap times within tenths of each other I know that it's possible to be more consistant, though the better you get at Gran Turismo the easier it is to be consistant in the game too.

The physics of GT5 though I think are very impressive, there's more 'weight' to the cars and more of a sensation of the tyres gaining and losing traction. Control of the throttle is also better than GT4 and the tyres don't spin away the power as easily. Braking physics are much better too, with the cars squirming under very hard braking whenever you have a little steering lock on and needing correction.

The comment about control is stating the obvious a little, because you'll never get the physical forces of driving a car from GT5, there is so much that the rest of your senses tell you that the game can't replicate. On the other hand, when you do lose control in the game it's less likely to be a big problem than in real life...
 
I disagree, the engine sounds in past games have been a bit off sometimes, but in GT5 they're largely pretty good, as long as you play them through decent speakers. Of course it'll be difficult to exactly replicate the sounds, because you can't replicate the sound of the resonance inside the car, the 3D sound of the engine in one place, even the location of the air filter, and the exhaust(s), and the closeness and loudness of an actual car.

Agree, I only Use TV speakers for now, But right off the bat I can tell Eninge sound have been improved. I know PD now Went to each car and recorded the sounds, both from outside the car and inside. They have the money and resources to do this, and are not DUMB to create fake engine sounds.
I also love how real the wind nosies sounds.
 
My car is the VW Golf V GTI in real life and in the game the handling is very similar and the sound is a bit different.

My GTI is shadowblue-metallic in real life. It is a bit darker as in the game it is too bright.

From the sounds in the game i can not believe that the new BMW M3 sounds like this in real life!

Ciao joe8
 
From the sounds in the game i can not believe that the new BMW M3 sounds like this in real life!

Ciao joe8

It doesn't. Sounds like someone stuck a kazoo up the tailpipe in GT5P

Handling wise, out of 3 cars I've had the opportunity to play with or own:

MINI handling is very close. It feels small, solid and agile. Its possible to get the back end to jink just like the real deal. Bit dull out on the larger tracks but like most of the hot hatches, place in a tight twisty environment and it becomes good fun like the real thing. Really impressed with this one.

M3 seems very tailhappy. Admittedly my experience is a bit limited. Comparing it to the previous incarnation 2006 straight 6 and only for 10 days car swapping on a holiday to LeMans. It just feels too slippery.
I'm thinking quite a lot of it is to do with the lack of any lateral movement feedback in the game.

The Elise oversteers way too much in stock setup, even if you take into consideration the lack of all the feedback you'd get in the real thing to judge how close to grip limits you are. The S2 is set up to be very neutral. Coming in to a turn too quick and you will almost always get some understeer, however in GT5 there is none, it just ends up in a big oversteering tank slapper if you come in too hot.
Fortunately tweaking with the tuning setups helps to sort some of this out.
 
It doesn't. Sounds like someone stuck a kazoo up the tailpipe in GT5P

Handling wise, out of 3 cars I've had the opportunity to play with or own:

MINI handling is very close. It feels small, solid and agile. Its possible to get the back end to jink just like the real deal. Bit dull out on the larger tracks but like most of the hot hatches, place in a tight twisty environment and it becomes good fun like the real thing. Really impressed with this one.

M3 seems very tailhappy. Admittedly my experience is a bit limited. Comparing it to the previous incarnation 2006 straight 6 and only for 10 days car swapping on a holiday to LeMans. It just feels too slippery.
I'm thinking quite a lot of it is to do with the lack of any lateral movement feedback in the game.

The Elise oversteers way too much in stock setup, even if you take into consideration the lack of all the feedback you'd get in the real thing to judge how close to grip limits you are. The S2 is set up to be very neutral. Coming in to a turn too quick and you will almost always get some understeer, however in GT5 there is none, it just ends up in a big oversteering tank slapper if you come in too hot.
Fortunately tweaking with the tuning setups helps to sort some of this out.

Interesting, I'll have to try the Mini. I remember when I played the JP version one problem I had was that some FWD cars that could be provoked into oversteer in real life didn't really want to slide in the game. Nice thoughts on the RWD cars too.
 
I have an 07 G35 coupe\Skyline and it seem to be pretty accurate in the game as far as revs and power
 
SRT-4 here and yes in GT4 its modeled fairly well. I think it wears the front tires a bit more than what happens in real life, but overall the handling is right like most FWD cars and Stage 1 turbo with bolt-ons is fairly close to what Stage 3R in the car is like, which is fast enough to embarrass cars on the next level.... Something I enjoy doing in a regular basis - :D

IMG0016.jpg


Desktop

My_SRT4_New_Wheels.gif


Old Wheels :D

DSCF0551.jpg


New Wheels :D

Engine Audio is WAY off though, stock exhaust sounds more like stock....
 
Going back to the sound. I really think they got the sound good. I think its the sound system you guys are pluging it to. I also thought it was not that good before i pluged it to the bose. Big differnce.
Guys, I'm sitting in front of massive Boston Acoustics Home Theater Front and Center Speakers driven by a Denon 3800 something amplifier. I don't think that my particular sound system seems to be the problem.

Believe me, the real M3 V8 sounds much more deep and growling compared to what is in the game.
 
My dad has an Rx-8, which I have driven, and the ingame RX-8 is very similar.

It has the same dead spots up to around 5000rpm when the car just takes off, exactly the same in real life. It does sound very similar too, but in real life I would say its easier to get the back end out.
 
Guys, I'm sitting in front of massive Boston Acoustics Home Theater Front and Center Speakers driven by a Denon 3800 something amplifier. I don't think that my particular sound system seems to be the problem.

Believe me, the real M3 V8 sounds much more deep and growling compared to what is in the game.

I would have to agree that the bass end of the audio side of things is far to light, I'm again not running through a poor set-up.

PD still have a lot of work to do on the audio side of things.

Scaff
 
I don't know guys, Just because you hear the BASE on youtube, does not mean its realistic for the M3. ;)
But I bet PD did a real recordings of the car, not some hamster in a blender ;)
 
I don't know guys, Just because you hear the BASE on youtube, does not mean its realistic for the M3. ;)
But I bet PD did a real recordings of the car, not some hamster in a blender ;)

I spent three days last week working on site at a BMW dealership, I can vouch that the M3 in GT5:P doesn't sound right. It, along with a few others, still sound far to light on the Bass end of the audio spectrum.

Regards

Scaff
 
I don't know guys, Just because you hear the BASE on youtube, does not mean its realistic for the M3. ;)
But I bet PD did a real recordings of the car, not some hamster in a blender ;)

Been in an M3 a few times and it defo doesn't sound right. The sound is far too thin. You should hear the exhaust note really start to kick in at about 4k rpm.
As for the big blocks, shouldn't they be scaring small children from 500 yards?

I'm pretty convinced its not my sound setup as I never normally have any issues reproducing sufficient bass (sony 7-1 home theatre).

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't PD record the cars at standstill rather than with engines under load?

Also wonder what level they took their rpm samples at. Guessing they were all at the same rpm reference points which might help explain why some cars sound better than others, ie some hit their rpm sweet spots in samples.
 
SRT-4 here and yes in GT4 its modeled fairly well. I think it wears the front tires a bit more than what happens in real life, but overall the handling is right like most FWD cars and Stage 1 turbo with bolt-ons is fairly close to what Stage 3R in the car is like, which is fast enough to embarrass cars on the next level.... Something I enjoy doing in a regular basis - :D


Old Wheels :D

DSCF0551.jpg


New Wheels :D

Engine Audio is WAY off though, stock exhaust sounds more like stock....

i drove an SRT-4 a little while back, and i thought GT4's model was pretty bad. way too torquey and the gear ratios seemed both too short (2nd) and too long (1st) of course the sound is way off too, but thats already understood. the RL SRT-4 is way better than the GT SRT-4.

but on the other hand i only test drove it and am not that familiar with it. GT-4's auto-clutch modulation may have something to do with the outrageous torque, as i didnt drop the clutch at all in the real one.

BTW, i like your new rims way better than the old ones. 👍
 
I drive a Mini Cooper (not an S) so I can only give the handling a good going over. I took it on Professional physics and N3 tyres (I have up-rated wheels and tyres on mine) and I found the car understeers more than it does in real life but in general you can throw it around like real life. I have only tried it on Eiger so far but maybe with S1 tyres it will be better.
 
I spent three days last week working on site at a BMW dealership, I can vouch that the M3 in GT5:P doesn't sound right. It, along with a few others, still sound far to light on the Bass end of the audio spectrum.

Regards

Scaff

The Corvette z06, too.
 
I don't know guys, Just because you hear the BASE on youtube, does not mean its realistic for the M3. ;)
But I bet PD did a real recordings of the car, not some hamster in a blender ;)
This thread is called "is YOUR car simulated well....".

I actually own the new M3 since a couple of weeks, so I consider myself qualified for judging the in-game-sound.
 
The game sound is totally off, can't say much about the physics as I have not played it yet. I have heard the amazing sounds of the F430, Sl55 AMG, Z06 corvette quite alot (my uncle owns these). And judging by the sounds off of youtube and other video's they don't sound anything like there real life counterparts. Kind of disapointing really.
 
About the 135i, the reason Tiff probably couldn't keep it sideways is cos the real life car has an open rear diff with EBD that applies the brakes to simulate an LSD. In real life, you'd have a real problem holding a drift without a proper LSD. That's why the M3 is such a born drifter. It's got the M-Diff. I think a 1 series with a proper LSD would be able to do the same.

Which brings me to my next point. I've always wondered whether GT accurately simulates the electronic stability aids the real cars have (AYS, ATESSA, etc). I'm guessing it does to some extent because GT4 had an AYC controller. And the new GT-R in GT5P is so twitchy on the throttle because the real life car sends all power to the rear first, and only to the fronts when there's a loss of traction.

Most of us hardcore players switch off all aids, but I wonder if what we drive in the game is the equivalent of taking all the aids off their real life counterparts.

UHM...it was actually jason driving it:ouch:
 
M3 is probably the worst sounding car in-game. Very disappointing. Some other cars sound great though!
 
I have a 580 watt 5.1 surround system driving Gale floor standers and center with 100 watt Mordaunt-Short powered sub bass, and the cars still sound a bit tinny. None of the deep throated rumble you'd expect.
 
It doesn't. Sounds like someone stuck a kazoo up the tailpipe in GT5P

Handling wise, out of 3 cars I've had the opportunity to play with or own:

MINI handling is very close. It feels small, solid and agile. Its possible to get the back end to jink just like the real deal. Bit dull out on the larger tracks but like most of the hot hatches, place in a tight twisty environment and it becomes good fun like the real thing. Really impressed with this one.

M3 seems very tailhappy. Admittedly my experience is a bit limited. Comparing it to the previous incarnation 2006 straight 6 and only for 10 days car swapping on a holiday to LeMans. It just feels too slippery.
I'm thinking quite a lot of it is to do with the lack of any lateral movement feedback in the game.

The Elise oversteers way too much in stock setup, even if you take into consideration the lack of all the feedback you'd get in the real thing to judge how close to grip limits you are. The S2 is set up to be very neutral. Coming in to a turn too quick and you will almost always get some understeer, however in GT5 there is none, it just ends up in a big oversteering tank slapper if you come in too hot.
Fortunately tweaking with the tuning setups helps to sort some of this out.

I haven't driven the new M3 but I own an e46 M3. If you turn off the stability control, it is very easy to provoke oversteer. All M3's I've driven are like this (the first three models) and from what I've read the new one is the same. I have only played the GT5P demo so far...so I haven't tried the M3 in game yet.
 
I've got the Mustang. After specII update I'm convinced GT5p is as good as it gets, until GT5. Same feeling of power & size. Sound? PD took as much effort to get the tone right as FoMoCo. When I TT it's all I drive. The 'bark' of the rev limiter, rush of torque, body roll, etc. Can't get enuff. Yes, my 'handle' indicates V6, a very modded V6.
 
As someone pointed out, they record the sounds of the cars at standstill or so I've heard (no pun intended, in fact I'm not even sure there's a pun there anyway), which I don't really understand. My car, or should I say, my old car, sounded completely different revved at standstill and at 6,500rpm in gear, mainly because the engine has to work harder to get to the same revs when its under load. My car sounded positively asleep when revved in neutral, but in any gear it would roar because I had one of those chavboy halfords air filters, all show and no go. But I live in chavboy central and used to drive the chavboy 'weapon' of 'choice' (hardly a weapon and i doubt anyone actually chooses to drive it), a vauxhall corsa, so i figured, when in Rome...

So yeah, engines recorded at standstill equal a false representation of what they're supposed to sound like at speed, though I doubt I had to point that out!
 
Back