It's now March; where is our promised community update?

• Thread starter soap_hand
  • 2,036 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's the GT Community's checklist:

- Post Complaints on GTP about others complaints ✔
- Threaten to not buy GT7 because of the whining community✔
- Start one week boycott of GTP because you're forced to read complaints✔
- Attempt to silence complainers with a million obnoxious posts✔
- Follow complainers around from thread to thread to troll their opinions✔
- Dream about how Kaz is so thankful for your defense✔

Fixed for you.

Ok, so disk space doesn't mean the blu-ray? I guess disk space - disc space.

So, if they implement a bug fix that makes tire wear work properly online, meaning I don't lose all my grip as soon as I change tires, this downloaded data that "fixes" (overrides) won't need to be run simultaneously with everything that's run currently?
Count me skeptical.

You could argue some updates wouldn't add a "burden" during play, but any updates increase the sheer amount of data the PS3 has to cover just to operate. 40GB>30GB.

A "bug fix" usually changes/edits something, rather than adding a large chunk on to what's already there. In fact a lot of the time it turns out to be less lines of code than before if the developers are bothered about CPU load and efficiency etc.

When you say "cover just to operate" it's clear you're pretty confused with how hard drives work.

Your PS3's hard drive, whether its 120GB with 20GB of space left, or 40GB with 30gb left, is not going to affect the performance of your game at any noticeable feat.

Think of your data on your HDD as like a human memory bank. There's lots of data in there that's been created in the past, but you're only accessing certain memories when you need them. For instance, having a game installed won't be "covered" by the PS3 as you say, until it is actually called to run by you.

Last edited:
In this thread, and others there have been a lot of comments along the lines of:

"Why are PD not fixing the basic errors/adding modes like BSpec as advertised, yet they seem to be releasing VGT cars, the M4, etc"

Now it could be that the cars were nearly finished before release, and are therefore less labour intensive to add compared to "proper" new content/bug fixing. They probably require less coding than BSpec/Telemetry/Course maker...

...but I do wonder what the financial incentives are. As in how much money are PD getting in advertising from BMW and Merc, and whether they have contracts with set release dates for cars like the M4. I do wonder how many GT6 sales these contracts might be equivalent to. I'd imagine lots.

After all, if it comes to a toss up between defaulting on a contract with a major car company, or keeping gamers (who have already paid their £40) waiting... it's sad to say that the choice is an easy one. :(

"GT6, the real advertising simulator"?

Of course there is goodwill to consider, and how much a bad rep could affect future GT6 and GT7 sales. Also, fewer sales mean less audience for the advertising.

Now I do like the new cars, and am grateful for them, along with the seasonals we have been getting. It's just that I'd prefer to wait 6 months for these, but have:

i) a fixed pit stop bug,
ii) fuel/tyre wear/damage in arcade mode
iii) Telemetry, or at least an x and y G-force "ball" meter, with numerical readout
iv) the reason why zero camber is best in this game

first.

Cheers,

Bread
You're likely correct about the vgt's being partially done and easy to finish, especially if they aren't doing interiors. And the seasonal will take 2 min to create.

The financial incentives are broadening reach and increasing the user base beyond gamers and further leverage for manufacturer support/participation in future installments.

And this brings about the scariest point you mention. If in fact pd are trying to reach beyond gamers (primarily) then GT 6 is more of a marketing tool than a game appealing to the core.

And if this is the case, then existing users are secondary priorities... And there are certainly strong indicators of this. A patch doesn't generate PR, neither do features already promoted regardless of whether they were delivered, and gameplay add on's don't really sell more copies as they target existing users.

There certainly is strong evidence to suggest GT 6 is a marketing tool and I know that business model well... And they are following it to a 'T'... Sometimes the business models get reprioritized to increase users if sales are missing expectations... But they rarely net out to expectation. Especially in the game space.

In this instance I could imagine GT 6 being a tool to increase exposure in anticipation of a future release getting maximum visibility, huge marketing through many more outlets than games for GT 7, and leveraging past legacy. GT fans are already going to buy it... One million units alone covers PD's payroll for a lot longer than most would think. As it really equates to roughly 20 million minus marketing.

Indicators; no communication with end users, all announcements are with a PR splash (videos etc), GT 7 rumors already slipping out, every peace of content thus far is to attract a user based on the asset, not the game, sales are not exceeding earlier installments or on pace to (can't confirm but price has already been cut for a fixed time to test lift, with no incentive to buy beyond credits), all news surrounds an auto show, not another venue, less support than GT 5, etc.

The reality of the features being stalled is likely much bigger than we are thinking... For b-spec to work the AI needs an overhaul, standing starts need to be introduced, and the entire career needs to be adjusted or a secondary one added, and physics being changed has a big impact on AI car behavior... So B spec is likely a lot of work... And is also likely why endurance racing is strangely absent for the same reasons... And formula GT series, the Nissan micra spec events... Any spec racing in fact.

Community has a tie in with mobile and is a whole new 'thing' and I have some insider info about the mobile app (though its dated now) as Sony have been shopping for support for it from groups that are both mobile and console service providers a few months back... They don't want to replicate the remote b spec failure. So the dependencies beyond console here are rough.

Corse maker has no residual value beyond current users and a marketing bullet point, and is also not a traditionally requested feature of racing games so the priority is low for a release of the system... But pd will continue using it as an internal tool.

3d is likely not going to happen as it doesn't add anything beyond current users and was likely under utilized in GT 5... Though I used it allot.

Triple screen requires 3x consoles and games... This might have something to do with the current price reduction assuming it materializes in the next week... And might create a tiny lift.

Additionally GT games have long tails... So there is likely no rush as GT 5 sold consistently for years... And there was no real ps 3 competition.

All objective assumption despite any desire I might have for said features.

Last edited:
In this instance I could imagine GT 6 being a tool to increase exposure in anticipation of a future release getting maximum visibility, huge marketing through many more outlets than games for GT 7, and leveraging past legacy. GT fans are already going to buy it... One million units alone covers PD's payroll for a lot longer than most would think. As it really equates to roughly 20 million minus marketing.

GT6 needs to actually get the new concept cars before we can suspect it of primarily being used as a marketing tool. There are more missing VGT cars announced than there are missing features, but hopefully the missing features appear sooner rather than later.
I don't think that proposing a Spec III release of GT5 with monthly dlc concept cars, each with their own flashy trailer would have turned off any manufacturers, GT6 was just a cash grab at attempting to sell a full priced game again.

Last edited:
Still no update..!?

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Maybe early next week, or the week after that... Or April, May etc. I just want the new track :lol:

@Lawndart

This is pure speculation by me, but what really worries me is that, perhaps fuelled by lower than expected sales revenue, each missing feature (B-Spec, 7-poster telemetry, course creator) becomes paid DLC. That would be a really low blow in my opinion. I think the Speed test in GT5 was paid DLC(?) and a few eyebrows were raised as it was pretty much in GT4.

Now I would not mind paying for something I truly considered an add-on, such as a decent "C-Spec" free roam mode with a couple of cities to cruise around in. I just sincerely hope that Sony/PD don't think that charging extra for features that were in previous games is acceptable.

Cheers,

Bread

Last edited:
I just sincerely hope that Sony/PD don't think that charging extra for features that were in previous games is acceptable.

That's the route many game makers are taking, unfortunately. Think it's fine to remove stuff and then charge for it.

That's the route many game makers are taking, unfortunately. Think it's fine to remove stuff and then charge for it.
Had a good laugh at PD charging for SSRX and 400m/1000m speed tests, then a brief moment of despair.

Still no update..!?

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Maybe early next week, or the week after that... Or April, May etc. I just want the new track :lol:

I don't want to dig through this thread to find the quote, but Jordan recently stated we would have an "update" by Friday 7th.

This is literally the only real news we've had in weeks.

feelsbadman.jpg

GT6 needs to actually get the new concept cars before we can suspect it of primarily being used as a marketing tool. There are more missing VGT cars announced than there are missing features, but hopefully the missing features appear sooner rather than later.
I don't think that proposing a Spec III release of GT5 with monthly dlc concept cars, each with their own flashy trailer would have turned off any manufacturers, GT6 was just a cash grab at attempting to sell a full priced game again.
The whole VGT is marketing. The question is whether it's become a primary driver vs secondary. But just the structure of it is enough to foresee that reality. It has nothing to do with gameplay. It's exactly like all the manufacture specific GT's you could get at a car dealer like BMW many years ago... Just all roles into one with the glamor of concepts vs real.

@Lawndart

This is pure speculation, but what really worries me is that, perhaps fuelled by lower than expected sales revenue, each missing feature (B-Spec, 7-poster telemetry, course creator) becomes paid DLC. That would be a really low blow in my opinion. I think the Speed test in GT5 was paid DLC(?) and a few eyebrows were raised as it was pretty much in GT4.

Now I would not mind paying for something I truly considered an add-on, such as a decent "C-Spec" free roam mode with a couple of cities to cruise around in. I just sincerely hope that Sony/PD don't think that charging extra for features that were in previous games is acceptable.

Cheers,

Bread
Yes, what I wrote was 99% pure objective speculation. It's too soon for me to assume any shift in focus to include paid dlc. If that happens then its all too clear and much easier to make claims vs speculation.

The speed test dlc was never a promised update from pd in GT 5 prelaunch, it was more of an afterthought. But it was stated that all GT 5 dlc would be in GT 6... I guess they only meant assets :/

So anything paid would likely be things we have never heard about... Anything otherwise would be hysteria.

And we all know GT and pd are notoriously difficult to predict so my speculation is even less relevant as it's based on protocols or optional reactions that other major publishers would do... Pd on on their own planet...

Yes, what I wrote was 99% pure objective speculation. It's too soon for me to assume any shift in focus to include paid dlc. If that happens then its all too clear and much easier to make claims vs speculation.

Sorry Lawndart, just read my post and realised it could be taken a couple of ways, I meant my sentence to follow was pure speculation by me, not that I was criticising you for speculating!

Cheers,

Bread

I don't want to dig through this thread to find the quote, but Jordan recently stated we would have an "update" by Friday 7th.

This is literally the only real news we've had in weeks.

feelsbadman.jpg
Jordan stated 2 things;

1) An update in the next 7 days

2) decoded: a BMW is also coming during the Geneva Autoshow.

The update is likely ahead of the car and will contain the car, CMS will then enable it with a seasonal event during the show to time it with a presentation.

Sorry Lawndart, just read my post and realised it could be taken a couple of ways, I meant my sentence to follow was pure speculation by me, not that I was criticising you for speculating!

Cheers,

Bread
It's all the same really, with no real communication or information all we and others can do is speculate :) and it's more fun to talk about possibilities vs disappointing results...

It's like a game, that's currently more fun than GT 6 right now...

It's all the same really, with no real communication or information all we and others can do is speculate :) and it's more fun to talk about possibilities vs disappointing results...

It's like a game, that's currently more fun than GT 6 right now...
Sad but true. The speculation game is quite entertaining.

Anything involving one's imagination is inherently more pure, more fulfilling than any reality anyone can present to you. That's why I like to keep mine separate! ;)

Had a good laugh at PD charging for SSRX and 400m/1000m speed tests, then a brief moment of despair.
Weren't they free for a while? I can't remember, but I also don't remember paying for them. I'm fairly certain I didn't pay a cent more than what the game itself cost the day it came out.

And they can keep their boat. Just like the Rover I'll use it once just because it's there then forget it's even part of the game. Honestly, I know the speculation machine was rolling hard before GT6's release, but I was seriously hoping for the course maker in the first couple months following release. As time goes on I'm fairly certain we won't get the course maker until Spec 2.0 or some other massively huge update meant solely to keep people interested in the series for a little while longer, so maybe in a year or so....

Something I discovered on the Facebook page...

Anyone remember the Photomode pic, posted in the Photomode-forums here, of a Laguna blue Camaro Z28 on Volk TE37's, at Gemasolar ?. It must've been posted last month or late-Jan.

They've posted that image on their page, but I see no credit to the original source, I'd grab a copy to show you, but I'm on my phone atm. I'm sure if you go to the GT Facebook page you'll see it and instantly recognize it.

Anyone else find that fishy ?, especially with their silence and "the outside world does not exist, Mr. Yamauchi." mentality ?

I don't think PD can do anything, 'in 7 days', to save-face anymore.

The whole VGT is marketing. The question is whether it's become a primary driver vs secondary. But just the structure of it is enough to foresee that reality. It has nothing to do with gameplay. It's exactly like all the manufacture specific GT's you could get at a car dealer like BMW many years ago... Just all roles into one with the glamor of concepts vs real.

I agree that VGT is another marketing/cross-promotion exercise but I think it was used to sell GT6 rather than the other way around. It's not clear how many of the cars will show up in GT6, it is almost spoken of as a separate project to GT6.
But to rephrase what I said earlier, I don't think car marketers really care about whether their car and brand appears in GT5,GT6 or GT7, they just want it in 'Gran Turismo'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back